Paper Mario TTYD+ Update

For anyone interested, there's a pretty big new update to my Paper Mario TTYD mod. I've taken a lot of Holla Forums's suggestions into consideration for this version, and I'm pretty damn happy with how it's turned out.
The main impetus behind this mod was to reincorporate stuff that was censored in the original US release. This means cola is alcohol, TEC's got his HAL 9000 look back, and a handful of risque / gruesome bits have been restored (did you know the JP version calls Red Bones “Bloody Dry Bones”? Jesus, Nintendo.)

There's also an optional second mod that makes some fun, but not-entirely-faithful changes. Stuff like Rawk Hawk being renamed Hawk Hogan (lifted from the Spanish localization) and Vivian being less of a dumbass (she spends half the game with the bad guys, but she doesn't know where their base is?)

A third mod is included that tweaks some enemy and item designs to bring them closer to their Sticker Star / Color Splash appearance. I tried to keep their overall “look” from TTYD, while making them more consistent with the later games. Stuff like the Boomerang Bros. being decked out in blue, or the Pokeys having green spikes. I figured this would be one of the more unpopular changes (boo hiss Sticker Star) which is why I kept it in its own little standalone file.

You can download the romhack here: romhacking.net/hacks/3092/

Hope you don't mind me being a self-promoting whore. This romhack stirred up a lot of chatter here when it first came out, so I figured you'd want to know about the update. I can post a quick and dirty rundown of everything in this mod, if y'all want.

- All references to “cola”, “cola bartenders”, etc. have been changed back to alcohol. It seemed a shame to lose that cute nod to Mario & Luigi, so I combined the English and Japanese names of Bobbery's drink (Chuckola Cola and Vintage Red) into Vintage Chuckola.

- Hooktail is sickened by frogs, rather than crickets.

- Pa-Patch responds to Bobbery "smelling something suspicious" with a fart, rather than suggesting "Flavio's armpit”.

- Bonetail is female, like in the JP version.

- The Red Bones tattles now hint at it being bloody - both the Japanese and French versions call it a "bloody Koopa skeleton".

- Pennington's job description is now "Sanctum priest" rather than "Sanctum Manager".

- The threatening letter received on the Excess Express now specifies that the train is going to be blown up - this not only brings it closer to the Japanese version, but also makes Pennington's suspicions of the Bob-Omb family more sensible.

- Vivian is heavily suggested to have been born male. She's teased by her sisters about this, and an NPC in Keelhaul Key gets flustered and confused when he finds her attractive.

- Goombella's “Rally Wink” has been changed back to its Japanese name, “Rally Kiss”. Likewise, Flurrie's “Lip Lock” was changed to its Japanese name, “Sexy Kiss”.

- TEC's eye has been changed back to its original red color.

- The Wrestling Mag item now has an all-new texture, bringing it closer to its Japanese sprite while maintaining the reference to NES Pro Wrestling.

- The Shady Koopa and Shady Paratroopa Tattles have been fixed (The original Tattle just lies outright about how they attack. Not sure how that slipped through QA.)

- Pine T. Jr.'s letter makes reference to a "Bubu" character in Toad Town – this is actually intended to be a reference to Li'l Oinks, which are called Bubu-san in Japan. The Li'l Oink reference has been thusly corrected.

- The Buzzy species with spikes - called both Spiky Buzzies and Spike Tops in-game - are consistently called "Spike Tops" now. Luigi's Buzzy friend, Torque, is now called a "Wrench Top".

- Several battle items had erroneous descriptions in the original game, which have been rectified. These include:
The POW Block now states that it attacks all enemies, not just ground-based ones.
The Fire Flower no longer states that it can burn enemies.
The Thunder Bolt & Rage no longer state that they can paralyze enemies.
The Shooting Star no longer states that it can confuse enemies.
The HP Drain now specifies that it only attacks one foe.

yeah but wud u fuck rock hawk

- The Spanish version of the game changed Rawk Hawk's name to Hawk Hogan. This is an *inspired* choice on the localization team's part, so I brought that change to the English version. As a bonus, I also added the bit of dialogue referencing Super Smash Bros. from the Spanish translation.

- All battle items now specify how much damage they deal in their descriptions, much like they did in Paper Mario 64.

- Vivian has new lines of dialogue regarding the X-Naut base and the final boss. Given that she was on the villain's side, it seems silly that she just wouldn't know about any of it.

- The Hammer Bro., Boomerang Bro., Magikoopa, Dry Bones, Pokey, Piranha Plant, and Spike Top designs have been tweaked to more closely resemble their Sticker Star / Color Splash incarnations.

- The POW Block and Poison Mushroom textures more closely resemble their Sticker Star / Color Splash designs.

Wait, Superstar Saga came out before TTYD?

i'd let him rawk my cawk all night long

There's a lot more minor changes, but this sums up most of the big stuff. If you want to see a full list, there's a readme file included in the hack.

Yup. A little less than a year apart.

neat

Thank you user, I love reading these updates. Also

- TEC's eye has been changed back to its original red color.

I thought you couldn't do texture changes. Will we see the one murder scene put back in? What exactly are the changes in the latest version?

It was tricky as hell. TEC's eye color was mapped to the model itself rather than a texture, so I had to take the model from the JP iso and plop it into the US one. I'm making some headway in getting the playboy Boo back in the game, but still no luck with the murder scene.

Neat. I've played the game myself and seen others play it so I'm not much in the market for any emulation mods, but I appreciate the work you went through for this. In particular, it's nice to see you realized you were a faggot for wanting to change the toad kid's emails/dialogue to Fire Emblem references (if memory serves), and removed that entirely.

I'm surprised to see there were so many errors and oddities in the English release. TTYD is a pretty big game, but I would have expected better from Gamecube-era Nintendo.

I honestly don't understand why you'd want to do this. Everything I've seen from those games has underscore the sole idea of their visual design was to be as boring as possible.

Aside from the new stuff already mentioned (TEC's eye, the new item descriptions, and Goombella & Flurrie's attack names) here's all the big changes new to this version:

- The Spicy Pasta and Space Food descriptions now mention their extra effects.

- The Allergic and Confused status effects now have clearer descriptions. (They were really vague and weird in the original)

- The Chain-Chomp Tattle description no longer calls them “Chomp-Chomps”

- There are several instances in the original game where the Yoshi kid calls you “Mario”, rather than “Gonzales,” as he does elsewhere. These have been fixed.

-The name ”HP Drain”, confusingly, is used for both a Badge and an item. For clarity's sake, the item has been renamed “HP Sapper”.

-The Super Boots have been changed from blue to green, bringing their appearance in-line with Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

- Previous versions of the mod turned the Life Shrooms into 1up Shrooms, bringing it more in-line with other Mario games. This wasn't a terribly popular change, so they're just Life Shrooms again.

-Several TTYD items received name changes in Super Paper Mario. For the sake of cross-game consistency, I've given them their SPM names.

What caused that? I don't remember it at all.
You're drifting back towards faggot territory, user.

Thanks m8
I've tried to keep the overall look of TTYD in tact with the new designs – rather than just copy the Color Splash sprites, I've done a sort of "middle ground" between the two games.

Dry Bones still have their funky classic look, but now their eyes glow yellow like in Sticker Star. Pokeys still look all gnarled and jagged, but they have green spikes like their modern design. I didn't even touch the Boos – their classic Paper Mario look is too damn iconic.

The Super Paper Mario names are all in the extra mod. As a rule of thumb, anything that isn't making it closer to the JP version or fixing a mistake is in the extra mod.

The Allergic status effect was a weird one. The only encounter that could inflict it was the Shadow Queen. Eating Space Food also inflicted it, but it never mentions it in its description (which has been fixed with this new release)

All it does is prevent Mario's stats from changing.

But why? She's more fuckable without them.

Nice, thanks for all your hard work. Hope we can see the next two changes in the future.

Do you have a comparison sheet for the old/new sprites for the mod?

You too

neat! I'll give it a go after I'm done with my current errand

Thanks!
Here's all the enemies whose designs have been changed. The originals on the left, the new versions on the right.

Did you ever consider renaming him "Blood Bones?"

I considered that, but putting it right in the name felt a bit… too outwardly gruesome.
Instead I took a cue from the French localization and referenced it in the Tattle.
Maybe it would be best to just go with the JP version's name, though. I'unno.

Oh huh, I was expecting far more drastic changes, these seem pretty nice and simple. Only ones I'm sorta eh on are the Spike Tops.

whoa, not so fast
when anything starts to use Sticker Star as a base, it's a path to failure

I suppose it's slightly too heavy given the game's atmosphere. Regardless, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

The piranha plant in the pit of 100 trials has yellowed teeth due to being in the pit of 100 trials and everything being decayed, not sure giving it white teeth is thematic.

Awesome. You are significantly less retarded than last time I checked on your work forever ago. Great job. I still question the point of changing anything to make it fit with visuals of other games regardless of whether is something from a newer game, older game, or that is different in most of the other games Life Shrooms, especially if other games have worse designs, but as long as that is all kept to the optional non-restoration mod, nobody should have a problem with it.

While debatable, I am okay wth this.

Did they seriously censor a fart in the original translation?

Read the last paragraph of the OP faggot.

Did you forget the noose right in the middle of Rogueport plaza, the main hub town? This is generally a mod to bring things more in line with the original game because translation teams are shit and fuck with things simply out of fear of the ESRB, to say nothing of how much is botched by mere incompetence. Since this is a mod and does not have to conform to the ESRB, there is absolutely no reason that everything should not be as accurate as possible to the original within reason. I wouldn't call them "Blood Bones" though, as that name makes it sound like they're made of blood, not blood stained. I'd call them "Bloody Bones".

I don't believe you should have any reservations about calling them "Bloody Bones". See the above for why.

Isn't Chuckola Cola meant to be made and brewed similar to wine, anyway?

Bless you user, means it's about time for my annual replay

Doing God's work, user.

NO
WRONG!

NO
THE JAPANESE TEXT IS REFERRING TO HER BEING A FAILURE
YOU FUCKING GIANT SANDWICH RICEBALL TRAP FAGGOT.

FUCK YOU AND YOUR JELLY DOUGHNUTS

Can I run it on a Wii through Nintendont? If not then your next mission is to make a version for us original hardware autists.

A failure at being a girl.

The Japanese think crossdressing is hilarious. It's pozzed Westerners that assigned anything more to it.

I got it from cuckchan before it was cuckchan.

5 seconds in paint could fix it.

I am glad user loves TTYD so much he gave it a nice car wash and polish.

You're doing a great job. keep it up. I guess if I replay it, it will be with your mod.

I've seen tons of conflicting sources as to the original intent of the Japanese text was. Most of them seem to agree that she was born a dude, which tbh isn't even that out of place in a Mario game. Can't forget about Birdo.

That also seems to be the conclusion Nintendo of Europe ran with, as the French and Spanish localizations are *much* more explicit about it.

I think the best evidence is the Goomba in Keelhaul Key. He wasn't around to hear Bedlam's insults, but he comes to the conclusion that Vivian might have somethin going on down there all on his own.

Even if the intent was for Bedlam's words to just be empty taunts, Goombella still takes them at face value. If the gag was intended to be "she's a girl but other characters THINK she's a dude" that doesn't really change much. The dialogue still plays out the same way, it's just a matter of interpretation

tldr; if your headcanon is Vivian was born a chick, far be it from me to stop you. You can still interpret it that way if you want.

Yep! The only thing that you'll be missing out on are the new textures. This really only effects the new enemy designs, so if you weren't interested in that stuff, you're golden.

You still won't be able to see the restored JP sprites (Bobbery's drink was changed from purple to red, for instance) but it's all minor stuff.

I'd still recommend playing it on Dolphin if you can, because I included HD versions of all the new sprites that are compatible with the TTYD HD texture pack. It's a gorgeous pack, provided you have a hefty enough PC to run it.

Fuck me user.

Keep up the good work man

I read your post