Fire emblem fates

Is this shit any good? Loved the GBA games and FE: Awakening but damn, the special edition (aka the full game) is like $100 even pre-owned.

How good are 3ds emulators….

Where the fuck were you during the Torrential Downpour shit? The game has one of the worst localizations since the 90's, pirate it.

Don't waste your time.

Do yourself a favor and just play Shadows of Valentia instead.

After Awakening I though I'd never get to see another FE without all the waifu shit and with actual good gameplay again but was happily proven wrong.

Birthroute was shite
Revalation was double shite
Conquest had nice maps but was even more retarded in the story
Pirate conquest if you absolutely need another 3DS fe for whatever reason, or just play the new Der Langrisser. Sage because FE threads attract redditors like moths to flames.
fucking dropped

This alternatively

Fates I've heard is pretty bad. I wouldn't buy it if I were you, especially since it takes translation pozz to a new level, so I didn't want it out of principle. I don't even like the series very much, I always preferred other "similar" (though not really) series like Disgaea or FFT so no reason to even bother with heavily pozzed shit all anons hated and even normalfags didn't exactly like. I didn't even hear about many redeeming factors that this one has, besides Conquest campaign and barefoot characters if you're a footfag. In the second case, just find some rule34 or other Indian wood carvings instead.

Shadow of Valentia would be a better choice than Fates I'd say. This one I've played as it seemed better and I was pleased. The game is pretty good for the first 3/4th of it, then everything is swamp. Besides that, no pozz, translation is decent outside of a few shitty decisions, like the "/" which I still remember from the first village. The gameplay is good anyway, seems like the superior choice, though as said before, I didn't play Fates. What I've seen combined with what I've heard was enough to me.

Okay fuck this shitty discussion and shitty game, it's time to discuss something really important

Why is Rinkah so USELESS
Why is Selena so PERFECT

Except when it was a remake of a good fire emblem game. The next game will go right back to the Awakening/Fates shit.

You can tell that Fates was intended to be a throwback to the epics of old. The Usurper-Dragon God who rules over an invisible kingdom, whose child was taken in by a warrior king who gave his life trying to stop a wicked, corrupted ruler of a foreign land from stealing him away. The child grew an alien and prisoner in his own home and wicked ruler's children, the child's surrogate siblings, would be torn between their affection for the lad and their intense brainwashing from their corrupted father. The warrior-king's children and wife yet live and desired the child to be with them, and yet, through the machinations of the Usurper God working through the wicked ruler, even the child's mother is lost.

Then there is the nature of his relation to the songstress, the child who was kidnapped as revenge and nearly forgotten about by the wicked ruler's family. She is the closest thing the hero has to a true blood relation and the living bridge between the two kingdoms and that invisible third. By working with her, the hero would come to know about who he truly is, why he bore the power he did, and why the world seemed to center around him - because he is literally the son of the very Machiavellian being who rests at the center of the world.

Characters like Camilla and Gunther really show what this story was meant to be like. Gunther was a man who was betrayed by the wicked ruler and was forced to stifle his hatred for long, long years. Camilla was a daughter, an only child even among siblings, born to a woman who used her for nothing more than familial politics. They are damaged people - especially Camilla, who is essentially so co-dependent on the protagonist (and her closest allies) that she would sooner kill them then let them leave her. She is deathly afraid of being abandoned and losing her place in the world, especially her role in her family and most especially her role towards you.

The Hoshido kids were pretty boring but the bowman, despite being a whiny dolt who ruined everything all the time for everyone, actually made a bit of sense with his suspicions. The aspect of the Nohr siblings genuinely loving you but also being forced to kill that love if you disobeyed their abusive slavemaster father was great (until they ruined it). I initially thought the Hoshido siblings wanted to be near to you because you were essentially the thing that got their father killed; you were what he died to protect so by being near to you they were, in some way, being nearer to their father - but that's not actually the case. That rebellion in the iceland with the ice-princess or whatever could have actually had a point, too! I heard she could have committed suicide if you did something wrong but I never found out. That kind of thing should have been all over the place. That's not even mentioning the stuff with the ninjas and those monks, etc.

I mean really think about it - there's two kingdoms with intense internal politics who are both being manipulated into war by an invisible god's corrupted invisible kingdom. How cool is that? This is the stuff of novels right here.
But then somewhere along the way they moistened all the characters, cut the narrative content and complexity, mishandled just about everything and broke the story irrevocably with that pocket-dimension nonsense that is NEVER ONCE brought up again in the narrative - even when it would have made the Nohr campaign that much more interesting! It's a waste overall

TL;DR OP just play the fan translation and don't play on phoenix mode until that dragon fight because screw that nonsense I got tired by the samurai fight

It is probably my favorite FE so far, most people here just repeat memes when it comes to it, but it is actually good for a lot of reasons
describes.

Somebody post that album/compilation of all the bullshit nintendo pulled with this game, lost it when my computer got wiped.

You should do yourself a favor and play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn instead. They should be pretty easy to emulate and they're both great games. PoR is easier and more solid than RD. RD, however, is harder and has some great/retarded design choices going for it making it a flawed gem. Still it's my favorite in the series despite that.

if you have a top of the line cpu it is fine with some slight drops when you get the fighting cut-ins otherwise it runs like shit. The story is all over the place with birthright being coherent and the rest riddled with plot holes, birthright still does but it is not nearly as bad. Maps are a step up even in brithright compared to awakening. If your 3ds is cracked you should use the fan translation as most of the game is classified as dlc and how citra is you will run into a lot of troubles simply finding the file I don't think there is one with the third route even with the treehouse version.

I know I have more but I can only find this right now

they are not even that

stop memeing around. Echoes was actually an excellent remake.

OP here, how do I go about cracking my 3DS and where is the best place to download roms?

check out the homebrew thread

Conquest is good, pirate it. Just skip the story and you'll enjoy it a lot.

Because I'm fluent in Japanese, I purchased the JP version of Fates, so I cannot attest to the localization.
It's decent fun, BUT you basically have to buy the other-version DLC to make it into a full complete Fire Emblem game with 40 characters (if you just buy one version you only get ~20 characters).
This DLC bullshit makes it rather awful, cannot recommend.
I haven't picked up Shadows of Valentia (perhaps I should), but pretty much every other English-localized Fire Emblem game other than Fates is great fun and is free of DLC bullshit (FE: Awakening had DLC but was a complete game without it).

Fuck Tellius, play GBA or Awakening.

But no matter what, Fates is garbage.

What a piss poor post. Awakening is terrible, and much worse than Fates.

What about Valentia's gameplay was good? It was pretty standard FE, if a little barebones.
No rescue option, no pair up option, and an annoying lack of supports.
The lack of supports it was bugs me most. Most characters get just one support option and a lot of characters have no supports with characters they should have supports with, like Clive having no supports with his own sister for example.
I liked SoV, but there was room for improvement.

gameplay wise decent for conquest
but holy fuck did everything get fucked during translation.
most characters turn into unbearable pieces of shit to the point to let them just die is more preferable if you didn't care about children characters

How is it possible to fuck up so bad. Awakening was a 7/10, definitely not the best Fire Emblem but definitely good at opening up the series. But if Awakening saved the series, Fates made it a fucking joke. Some of my friends seriously thought that the series was a visual novel and had only heard of Fates.

Fates' writing and localization is so batshit that it's plot cannot be taken seriously, I cackled when Lilith died.

Fates' gameplay is so ez because of free double attacks/free guards via the new pairup system.

Awakening had only one issue, difficulty. The writing was solid, not FE's best, but great considering how dumb the Tellius game plots are. You cannot say that Fates is objectively better than Awakening. It's not possible. Fates was a scheme to use pandering to the anime niche to an extreme where the core FE fandom was alienated. Fates isn't an FE game.

Closing thought:
The best part about Fates is the fanfiction because somehow the consumers of a game know exactly how to fix the game's plot/character flaws better than paid writers can.

No doubt about that.

How dare yo-

Never mind, pirate this shit all you want.

Best gameplay best waifu. Hoshitters need not apply.

I want to pat Camilla's head, if y'know what I mean.

She is everything Fire Emblem shouldn't stand for. Waifus in FE? Okay, but give me some fucking development please.

She looks pretty developed to me.

This is nothing like Fates in either translation

Gunther and Camilla are flat characters, it's not epic, there is no tension with your Mary Sue protagonist. Fuck Fates.

I was going to ask why being complete is a bonus but I sadly know the answer.
That's some terminally shit taste right there.
Look, I agree that Fates was a lot worse than Awakening, but let's not romanticize it. "Little" is understating the fuck out of it, the maps, after chapter 10 or so, are all thoughtless fields where you throw your unkillable units at things until the map ends. Don't like that? Try Lunatic, where the difficulty spikes up to the point where you need to grind asap if you want to stand a chance.
I don't currently have the autism to breakdown why the story was shit, but it's roughly on the same tier as lolbloodpact

Bloviation: the post

This is "don't listen to the haters" tier reasoning. You're writting off legit complaints as memes and pointing towards someone's romanticized, needlessly wordy explanation of the plot as reasons to play.

Pay attention, user. He was saying that's the potential it had.

I'll give you that the game is "more complete" than Fates in the sense that you don't need to spend 2 games' worth of money to get the whole story. If you consider each Fates game as a separate Fire Emblem game, though, then each path is a complete game with generous amount of chapters.

Awakening is far from a 7/10. The maps are putrid, plain and simple, past the first third of the game. Throwing broken units forward and watching them mow down enemies on PP is not fun or engaging in any way, unless you like watching the "cool animations."

Fates gameplay is only easy in Birthright and some Revelations chapters. Conquest is a much more challenging game than Awakening by a wide margin, unless you play the latter on Lunatic and L+ in which case Awakening is artificially hard by way of random enemy skills and inflated enemy stats - this only forces grinding, not thinking more carefully about the maps.

That is a lie and you know it. The writing is just as contrived as Fates, the characters are just as tropey (especially in the localizations), and the gameplay is a boring slog through mountains of chumps.

Fates is objectively better than Awakening. Neither one is god tier, but Conquest alone makes Fates far superior by virtue of having fun, challenging maps.

You are mistaken

Cringe.

Nino a cute.
CUTE

Not good, just play Tactics Ogre if you want a plot tree.

Found it, dumping some shit. It's also worth noting that quite a few other supports also have an absurd amount of cuts just like first pic. The writing in this game was already kinda shitty, but Treehouse made it much worse.

How to spot a waifufag in one post

It's not as bad as people say, the gameplay is some of the best in the series even in birthright but fuck me the localization is horrible and they censored some fun stuff. There is a WIP translation for the Japanese version.

Alright, can we just handle something right now?
I get anons hate Fates because of its squandered potential cute girls phoenix mode waifu You hate a game with waifu in it? Please tell me these low-T anons who'd sooner make "jokes" about sucking other anons off than look at sexy or cute girls in their vidya are just the last dregs of a fleeting summer lingering around… but we need to address something about the storytelling, plots, characters and overall writing of Fire Emblem games-

This series is not Suikoden. It never was Suikoden. It never tried to be Suikoden.
Stop pretending Fire Emblem was Suikoden

Get the magic thing, stop the bad guy, try not to get your mates killed because you can't git gud at basic R-P-S and terrain tactics. No deep political discussions, no real intricate world building beyond the dragon thing, etc. It's a great, fun series but the way some of you people go on about the older games' writing is like you think they were filled with the substance of novels.

There were highs and lows and glimmers of something more but there was never a Fire Emblem game akin to Trails in the Sky or Suikoden or Growlanser or anything of that caliber. The writing was never stellar, exceedingly few of the characters were ever fleshed out as to be more than archetypes, and the plot was never involved - unless you think backtracking and occasionally convoluted (since it was usually simple) is "involved".

Did Awakening utterly distill the series? Yes.
Did Fates do it better but still manage to water things down and make it more of a mess than not? Absolutely.
But you need to stop pretending this was, in the grand majority of installments, anything more intricate than Fates. Ultimately the stories were never deeper than that (and Fates isn't deep at all so that says something). Clearer, concise, more coherent and overall better conveyed, the stories for FE held these qualities compared to the latter installments but you people sometimes sound like those Zelda fans who big-up the LoZ series like it's some masterwork of Tolkienesque design.

I will add that inflating the character interaction system while keeping it basically quartered off in their own pocket dimensions away from ever influencing the story as a whole was cheap and made things even more awkward in Fates where you had your own little kingdom/army in your pocket but that never once played into anything of the narrative.
I'm not talking about that. Obviously the older games never got that bad.
I mean overall narrative substance was not the stuff some of you people in other threads rave about.