Open World is fun when done right

You know with all the template threads shitting up open world mechanic I kinda got the urge to play something with one.
Were there any open world games since Tomato? Or maybe you know some older game that did it just right?
Recommend me something.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/yokotaro/status/897508268230098945
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A Link to the Past

BotW, Xenoblade X, maybe asscreed Unity if you want to get historical, game was mostly shit but the monuments at least were absolutely on point.

The Saboteur is great. It's an open-world game that mixes GTA and Asscreed in German-occupied Paris. The stealth mechanics and focus on blowing shit up along with a variety of approaches provided by a finely-crafted map make for a very nice and atmospheric gameplay. There's nothing more satisfying than stealthily planting RDX on every major target at a military installation, blowing it up from a safe distance and watching krauts dart around in confusion.

Dragon's Dogma

How's WiiU emulation these days? I have no interest in zeldo, but Xenoblade X seems lucrative. I know it has shit translation and censorship, but having open world mecha game sounds too good to pass up just because of that.

I'll look into it.

I played it for quite a bit, but it never "clicked".

I prefer open world games with smaller hand crafted areas, i.e STALKER, Gothic and Dragon's Dogma.

does super mario 64 count as open world?

Soul Reaver

maybe one day you'll stop sucking cock, but today is clearly not the day.

Are you saying I didn't like it because I'm not waifufag?

I don't know.

Why not the entire LOK franchise then?

No just no. The Open World is probably the worst thing about Dragons Dogma. It's boring, ugly to look at and feels lifeless.

Wii U emulation seems to be coming along okay. Breath of the Wild seems to run, but fairly poorly. Like maybe 20 fps.

I imagine the Wii U emulation will come along fairly fast since it is using PowerPC architecture like the Wii, just more of it and faster.

I am super impressed with BotW's graphics on the Switch and Wii U. It sucks that it runs at 30, but Nintendo sure does seem to know their own hardware well. I think the Wii U is three cores at 1.3GHz and the Switch is using a beefed up phone/tablet processor.

It doesn't get much better than FNV, but I assume you already played that.

It's fun how divisive DD is. Some people religiously defend it, while others relentlessly shit on it. I wonder why.
For me it was just mediocre action game with some cool ideas but poor execution.

I mean XBX looks better than most PC games in years, minus character faces. Easily blows that mass effect game out of the water.

Yeah I went full autismo with it, modding and whatnot.

anons have different opinions, yours is wrong though

Fallout 4 is the best open world game of the decade. Respawning containers, respawning enemies, unlimited leveling, grinding for resources, etc. It's great if you love MMO but hate the skill limitations and online aspect of it.

When's the multiplayer online coming out on the Xbox?

(Not OP)

New Vegas is pretty dope, it does have a fairly set path early on. Unless you want to you run through death claw fun town you are probably going to follow what seems like the intended path.

I guess STALKER can be considered an open world game I just wish they would make a new one with no loading between areas.

The XBX better look fucking good for being 500 dollarydoos.

XBX is incredibly static, suffers from a lot of things that would be considered unacceptable elsewhere. For example, cars don't interact with anything they don't stop or hit you, they just drive through you, the pop in of textures is pretty damn bad, and the pop in of characters is pretty close to Andromeda tier.

I agree wholeheartedly, I've never played anything better

Sums it up pretty well, but Waifufags really seem to like it and I mean why not? I wish I could enjoy DD as much as they seem to do.

That's why you put art style over graphics.

Oh I thought user meant Xbox One X. My bad.

Shit. Well I guess blame wii u hardware.

I dare to say that art style is easily weakes part of XBX.

vvevv

skate is the only good open world game

Same. Shitty AI had me either completely walking all over enemies, or them being Super Retard Force, running through fire and flames to kill me, ignoring everything else. Also having to constantly save my AI helper monkeys who would punch a swordsman instead of casting a spell on him. Never mind that you have to play forever to actually start breaking the game. Oh, enjoy the fucked up save system, too.

Bump

fucking wew

Are you the same guy in every thread or are multiple people retarded?

smaller with more content, yakuza is semi-open but players will start to remember all the street names and business and you'll get more involved in the world than some giant fuckfest of fields and mountains

botws world is oversized and fucking dull

twitter.com/yokotaro/status/897508268230098945

Are there any at least recent-ish (because I played all old ones) fuckhuge open world RPGs with lengthy quest chains, morality systems, huge amount of classes, autistic character creator etc etc but without feminism propaganda, ugly characters and fart jokes?
Basically something like cisquisition but good?
I tried playing Dragon's Dogma and Xenoblade X, and while having cool combat systems, those games are barely RPGs at all. At most you can accept or deny a quest for collecting bear/alien bear asses, that's about it.
Is there something with dialogues, non-combat routes and shit?

Bully (preferably Scholarship Edition)
First arc of the game keeps you restricted to the good sized school grounds, and after that you can finally go into the town. You always have a skateboard on your person for quick transport, and can even hang on to the bumpers of passing cars for a quick tow with it. Can also get pedal bikes and can obtain motorized vehicles that are faster but aren't an item on your person.
The town is also the perfect size of not too big or small, and in SE completing the geography classes recommend to get an atlas rewards you with the locations of certain collectables so you don't have to search blindly or find an online walkthrough.

Could've removed a region or two and still would have been a big sized map. Yeah, I get that the Calamity fucked up the nearby castle town and everything bit of civilization near it, but really would prefer a smaller condensed open world with more life to it compared to BIG PLAINS OF NOTHING and somehow fuckloads of hidden Korok's to make you explore it. Even I gave the map a good explore and still can't understand how they hid 900 of them.

BOTW runs at 60 FPS as long as you have a machine made this side of five years ago, you fucking dipshit.

Source: Me, who has a bleeding edge server made nine years ago, which can’t cut it even with a great GPU and dual processors.

Same here. I thought the combat mechanics were boring and the world itself was uninteresting. It's just a mediocre hack n slash with very limited character customation and poor writing if you're not a waifufag.

Bump to this?
Are proper open world RPGs without political agendas dead?

You make your own u_u

the Yakuza games are probably the best attempt at an "open world."

What other RPG lets you just straight-up murder every insufferable cunt you come across? Like fanbase be damned, I want more games where I have the option to just remove people.

Consoles are supreme garbage.

psycho

Nah, just this one game.

Fair enough.
That said, Undertale really makes it easy to feel good about doing it. I mean you're a lone kid in an underground prison that's full of monsters that want to rip your soul out of your beaten body so that they can give it to their King who's sworn to kill all humans. I mean the game tries to make you feel bad but Genocide Frisk did nothing wrong. I mean even toriel tries to keep you hostage like some some cutesy version of Misery.

That's clearly not what Toby "Radiation causes cancer" Fox intended, but It's nice all the same.

Nah all consoles

Postal 2 is the only open world game I enjoyed. It also had a linear expansion with Apocalypse Weekend and I hate that so I guess they did open world right in some way

Not really, the king would pretty much let you live with them till old age, then using your soul to leave the underground.
Not even close. He's a pacifist (but not a pushover).
Didn't you get all endings? They pretty much explain that it was all a misunderstanding. The humans do hate the monsters, that's true, but monsters don't exactly hate humans.
Most of the one's you find aren't very friendly because they think (with some reason) that they're locked underground because of humans.
Killing Undyne and the King? Kinda justified.
Killing Toriel or papyrus? Not really justified.
Toriel knew that if you went forth, either her husband died, or you died. From her point of view, keeping you in the ruins will keep both of you alive. It's a character doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Sounds like you just want to hate the game though, and never gave it a proper chance.

Shadow of Chernobyl had the worst open world out of any game in the series. It was really quite linear. It only really became open-world in call of pripyat.

Also, for a game where you can kill everyone you want, try Kotor and Kotor II (haven't played the second one so I can't give you a propor opinion).
You can go full darkside and be an asshole at every oportunity. Heck, there's places where you have no reason to be an asshole and you still have the option.
Like a farmer/worker (can't remember) frightned because you barged into his home. He just wants you to leave, but you can tell him he's weak and deserves to die or some shit.
There's also some good moments where guards or other figures tell you "You can't go in here". On most games, your character just turns around and that's it. On Kotor you can reply "I GO WHERE I WANT TO GO" and then get slaughtered because they're seriously stronger than you.
Or you replay the game, figure out some tactics and minor cheese and carry on leaving a trail of corpses.

Naw, if he were really that passive he would have just let me go. Guy wanted my soul and wasn't all that hesitant on beating the tar out of me.

Again, the peaceful option would be to just let the human go home, not stand your ground and beat him bloody. Got all the endings, never cleared anything up in regards to a mistake.
And he did swear revenge. It might have been in a moment of passion, but it rallied the kingdom under the banner of "Fuck Humanity".

Undyne was a persistent threat that actively hunted you. Fully justified, even if she were just doing her duty.
The king, for all his pacifism, didn't even give you the option to back out of the fight he initiated when you wouldn't just give into his demands. Fully justified.

Toriel and Papyrus both wanted to capture you. Just because one is a loveable idiot, doesn't make the intent any less severe. There's nothing wrong in defending yourself.

And she didn't explain any of that. Just "If you go out there, you will die.". Doesn't even give you the option to try and at least help you exit through the hole you fell through in the first place, which would have avoided everything and plopped frisk right back where he started.

I got the game on day-one, played through it for all three major endings and a few what-ifs (killing just undyne and papyrus separately). The game is fine, the fanbase is cancer, Frisk did nothing wrong.

Gothic 1/2
Morrowalk
FNV (with mods)
Breath of the Wild (with some arbitrary rules you place on yourself)

What made it any good? It had quest markers, repetitive environments, and no sandbox gameplay.

Morrowind and FNV which are also RPGs, unlike Undertale

what game is that?

He can't let you go. Even if he wanted.
He'd be betraying the rest of the monsters, his own people. That's why he reluctantly fights you. He's forced out of duty to do so.

The humans swore revenge. And they achieved. **Asriel saved the human kid, but the humans saw him carrying a (presumed dead) kid and assumed he had killed the kid. So they shot him/ tried to fight him. He returned home and died of wounds. The humans sealed the monsters underground after that. That's the big misunderstanding. Monsters couldn't do anything about it after being sealed.

Undyne hates humans because she cares about monsters. And she's pretty short-sighted: all she cares is that humans locked everyone down there.
Again, the King can't give you that option. It would be betrayal. If you spare Toriel and do a normal run, you'll get a few lines telling you that Toriel tried to return and keep the monsters peacefull, but everyone hated her and hated humans for the loss of their king.

Toriel did not want to capture you, just to keep you away from the king. Papyrus did want to capture you but out of admiration for Undyne, not out of duty. He doesn't even capture you if you're nice, he pretty much lets you go. Heck, just lose the fight against him 3 times, he pretty much says he can't capture because he likes you.

Toriel doesn't explain it and that's part of her character. A flaw. She assumes Frisk doesn't understand the consequences of his actions. Heck, you're not even told about it until much later. Sans tells you about it near the end of the game, when shit starts getting a more serious tone.

Exiting through that hole is not an option. They outright tell you that. And it's severly implied that it's not even a normal "hole". More of a metaphoric hole (if you choose to interpret it that way) and closer to a warded off hole that will not let you leave. Else, monsters would have left already through there.

Game is fine, fanbase is cancer, that I can agree. I like Asriel as a character, and hugged him, but the whole fetishe crap about him was dumb.
I didn't finish Genocide though.
Sans was right: I was doing it just to clear a checklist, just to say "I beat it 100%".
I don't need to do that. And I didn't. I restarted it, finished it on pacificst and left it at that.
It's kinda like what Spec OPs tried to do, but it was better presented there. You do have the option to just say "no, I'm gonna stop here". That's the whole role of Sans boss fight.

Yeah, I mean he outright tells you to quit. But then I remember that when I was dealing with Flowey's shit on the neutral run he just kind of sat there not kicking ass so I felt like I needed to beat him on principle of him being a lazy fuck. Don't get caught up in cheaply manufactured "feels"