Dark Souls

I'm about to run though Dark Souls… Again. are there any neat mods or fun, interesting ways to spice up the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/446/?
nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1265/
youtu.be/hnr4quL5wto?t=4m30s
darksouls.ianlamb.com/challenges/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Glass cannon run or bust

Already did that. Definitely one of the more enjoyable playthroughs. Being able to kill and be killed in one hit makes the game pretty tense. Also, there's nothing like one or two shotting a DaS boss.

You could try playing a good game for a change.

There's both a Boss Rush and a gun game mod, also randomizer is pretty fun.

Gungame basically levels you up both stats and equipmentwise as you do damage, and delevels you if you get hit. Killing bosses increases your max and min level.

Randomizer scrambles all item pickups in such a way that you'll never get locked out of an area (e.g. not putting the Artorias crest in the forest). It's pretty cool.

Stop trying to fit in so hard Reddit. We don't hate every game, just most of them. Dark Souls is Holla Forums approved.

Speaking of trying to fit in.

nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/446/? for some nice textures, and nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1265/ as the ultimate meme mod. Alternatively you could use the item distribution randomizer, but if you're autistic about completing every npc's quest every time, that can break it.

Nah it's approved. Here's your (you).

That gun game mod sounds pretty fun, I'll give it a shot

downloading both these as well, though I think I'll skip the randomizer for now. Even though I've played the game through a ton of times there's still certain npc quests I enjoy doing for the hell of it.

Play a game where you die you have to fap to something disgusting.

Post your mom.

It's not.

Stay wrong faggot lol

it's not, theres not a single game that's approved because videogames is subjective, but dark souls is far from a good game.

Nice argument kek

because dark souls is not a good game, because dark souls 3 is better, why would a game need approval sticker from an imageboard? do you look at games and read the average count of people's review ratings to see if it's worth liking it without playing it?

Oh so you're the BR who makes threads saying III is a better game. Keep posting so I can laugh at you.

actually i misspelt 2 but now I think about, dark souls 3 is better than dark souls but dark souls 2 is definitely the best out of three.

lol keep posting.

Keep posting lol

I used the textures mod, while it does look nice it shits the bed and freezes the game at several places, the worst offender being the firesage demon which at time made the fight unplayable.

I have a mod that changes all the starting classes to knightly versions of those archetypes. I need play testers of course.

Reasons why Dark Souls 3 is better than Dark Souls 1

wew

half your post is okay, but the lead in makes you a faggot

You're right, Dark Souls is perfectly fair. There's almost no cheap deaths or hits that can't be identified with observation skills.

Aside from the very first time you enter the goat demon boss battle, what cheap, unavoidable deaths are there?
Entertain us, you hairless ape.

If you actually bothered to make a serious argument I'de consider it. But this shibait isn't even worth replying to and you know it. If you're going to act retarded at least sage and let the grown ups discuss video games :^).

Poe's law is in full effect here.

youtu.be/hnr4quL5wto?t=4m30s
get the Lanky kong primorial serpent

I was being sincere, but there are instances in the game where enemies can attack you through walls without you being able to retaliate, there's a couple of ghosts that can hit you through the floor, wall or ceiling without any warning signs, and there's fall damage taken in a few places that people aren't expecting it since its mandatory to continue. Also Bed of Chaos.
But other than that the game is basically fair, and the other anons insistence that Dark Souls 3 is 'more fair' is stupid.

Hitting trough walls thing is fair because you can do it too, and ghosts are ghosts, of course they'll attack you from every direction.
I want From software to make a video apology about the bed of chaos and entire Shit Ruins area existing and pull a DOW 2, completely reworking all of it and releasing it as a free patch.

I liked dark souls 3 pvp more. in dark souls 1 so much revolved around poise that if you weren't going for 100% backstab/parry build, you HAD to pick a weapon with good poise damage, and you HAD to reach your poise breakpoints. In dark souls 3 you can do well in pvp with literally any combination of weapons and armor. I went 5-0 wearing nothing but the straw hat and using the pitchfork by zoning out with the really long reach on the rolling poke, in dark souls 1 that would have been impossible because the other guy would have just poise tanked it without giving a fuck and then raped my face.
It also made ricards rapier really fun, because you could bait people in by half channeling the R2 and dealing stupid amounts of damage, or baiting people in with the flurry of strikes so that they THINK they're going to be able to nail you before you get it off, or circle around you, but you end up nailing them with it when they don't expect it. In dark souls 1 if you tried that again, they would have just poise tanked it and raped your face.

I'de argue Lando ruins is fair since you're made aware of the fact that there's enemies that can hit you through walls in a very obvious way from the start. From there on out it's just a matter of taking your time and remembering their locations. "Not being able to retaliate" is sort of their only means of killing you since their weak as fuck otherwise.

Didn't the directer actually apologize for that? I know he's cited as saying it was a bad boss. I'de say that was like that because of budget and time though. The entire area reeked of not having enough of either.

Have you tried much in the way of sequence breaking? In particular, early Sen's Fortress is a path to getting the Lordvessel and opening up all the gold barriers early, if you're up for doing Anor Londo. Or you can just dash in there to free Logan. Early catacombs diving for a mask and fire weapon upgrading is another thing I like to do.

At the point you're supposed to do New Londo Ruins, the ghosts aren't nearly as threatening either. But like the catacombs it's an early game trap.

Piss off.

It's not enough, they need to rework it completely now that they have the money.

Nah. If it's anything like III they'll find a way of making it structurally better but completely forgettable and annoying to replay. Lost Izalith is short anyway. And the level design is still solid. The Bed of Chaos is also one of the safest bosses as well since there's methods of killing it with little to no effort.

thx for the basic argument FOR POISE

guy wants to play fasion souls with some shitty armor and picks up some L337 Zoneing Spear with shitty damage but slightly longer weapon reach. cant close that fucking gap. guess ill just go find some other fight club to go emote in.

Dark Souls is unironically a good game, have a bump. since you're new here: sage is not a downvote

When did I say it was a bad game? You having a stroke or something? And I don't bump threads when I reply to obvious bait and shitposting newfag

hint: calling me a newfag after I called you new for falling for the meme souls meme is completely ineffective. have another bump on your way back.

Ha, you are all faggots.

Enough to get you to reply obviously. Keep posting newfag.

I'm not a faggot I just want someone to lay on top of me and put their benis in my butt

POISE
P O I S E
P O I S E
P O I S E
P O I S E

Dark souls is fun. Shame about all the cut content though

3 really wasn't a great sequel, too linear and focused on being hard for the sake of being hard when the original was just opaque.

Oh fuck, i have that line banned in adblock, but those sudo games are getting out of hand.

Never level up. That simple. Pyro starting class, go crazy. Just don't level. It's fun

May only level up after bosses/ mini bosses. Mini bosses allow 1 SL and Bosses give 2.
Starting Class Hunter. May only wear Hunter or Wanderer armor
May only use bow, Dagger, Shortsword, and longsword. Enchantment is allowed.
Once attained, may only use cracked wooden shield or Knight Shield.
No poisons, no bleed.
max 30 Firebombs, 10 Black firebombs
No magic

Also fun. Fighting Capra with a shortsword is a thrill

also try this darksouls.ianlamb.com/challenges/

So you'd do a twink run and only upgrade your fire, armour, and weapons?

You're supposed to use the 'Performance Edition' if you're using a trash-tier mechanical HDD.

I really enjoyed dark souls 1. I stayed far as fuck away from 2 and 3 though, because I heard they lost the magic. Did I make the right move?

no the 3 games all suck in their very own way, 2 is a bit worse because its nothing but cheap backstabs all the way, but once you know where they are waiting for you then it's kind of enjoyable. For reference i died about 250 times the first time i played through 2, and then only about 40 on the second time.

You did yourself a favor not playing 2. 3 is fine, if not a bit generic. Definitely still the second worst game in the series.

It definitely doesn't have the "magic" of Dark Souls or Demon Souls though, everything about it's unremarkable for the most part.

I got problems fam

Fast roll with a heavy wep is the way to live your life

FUCK YOU!

I haven't played the game on PC since before the migration from GFWL to Steamworks.

Is it still possible to activate a Steamworks copy of the game, or do I have to buy the game again on Steam in order to play online/save data/save achievements/etc.?

Is there a texture mod for DS1 that changes the lava in Izalith / Demon Ruins to something that doesn't burn off your retinas?
That bright orange glowing shit legit hurts my eyes

why? don't you have a backlog at all?

Name a game like DaS that delivers on an equal level of content and entertainment.

You can play online with a pirated version with mods that everybody else uses. You should have tried this before asking but here we are.

Same with you. There's a mod on NM that specifically does exactly what you asked. Does nobody fucking spend 5 fucking minutes looking shit up anymore?

Please tell me which other games this is possible for. I don't think I have ever played a game released after ~2005 which could be pirated and played online.

I was prepared to accept that the items would be randomized in the game making it a bit silly. I was not prepared for the shops to be randomized.
Where did you get this?!

You can also just activate your gfwl-copy on steam using the product key. That's what I did.

That possibility never even crossed my mind. I just assumed Namco Bandai would be far too Jewish to allow such a thing. Cheers.

Plenty actually. Have you even bothered pirating online games before? I just finished playing a pirated version of Don't Starve Together with a bud. It's like I said with the other user. Less than 5 minutes of research could have given you the answer you needed. All I'm saying is do research next time. It's genuinely not hard and improves self awareness and the community a a result.

you still have it on steam, right? if so, it should have updated to be without any GFWL shit

Why did this game get so fucking boring after like 10 hours? So much walking gave me cancer. I couldn't care to get the third soul.

The game does tend to slump after S&O, but S&O is a design high point for the game, scaffolded with teaching mechanics leading up to the pair so you're mentally taught before hand most of the attacks and patterns they will use without realizing it. After that its just a hack'n'slash to reach each boss and it's not like you're going to pick up any new weapons that far into the game. If you knew about them, you would have got them already, and if you didn't, you won't switch.

Yeah bro I know this one mod it is called. Play online in a stream and Anons try to kill you while you play.

That sounds fun right? My parish twink wants to meet you.

Buy me dark souls 1 on steam.

well said

Bring a fast weapon with at least straight sword reach, and she's pretty easy. If you're using some slow shit, expect to get bent over and fucked in phase 1 and 3 until you memorize her moveset. If you're using something with a really fast running R1 (katana, for example), you've got a decent chance of killing her your first try unless you fuck up and get one-shot in phase 3. She dodges your attacks, but she really can't do anything about a katana running R1.

They're too short (as is tomb of the giants), but the level design is great, and the enemy placement always keeps you on your toes in contrast to most other zones.

I'm rocking a Heavy Lothric Sword. The other time I fought her was with an Uchigatana and she pushed my shit in.

Uchi is what I killed her with on my first try, nothing but running attacks (and backstabs when possible), and just wailing on Ariandel in P2.

My next build blew three hours unsuccessfully trying to down her with YGM as a strength build and whiffing hits 24/7 before giving up like a bitch and summoning gael

Surprised this hasn't been posted.

I want to try.

How can i be weapon magic, type none?

If the first digit of the last three digits of your post is a zero (i.e. your post's last three are 095, in which case it's a zero), and the second digit is a 9, then you have to REROLL FAGGOT LEARN TO READ.

Nito looks cool but his fight was garbage for me. All I did is run around a because I had zweihander I just slammed him with a strong attack until he died. Bed of Chaos wasn't even a fucking boss just a CounterStrike prison escape map. Actually the only one that had me stuck for longer was Sif and I got bored before I finished the Four Kings. The thing that actually was boring was that you had to drag your ass every time you died over a fucking kilometer to the boss fight. Honestly I don't care how much git gud memes you spout it should be that long thats just bad design because it kills the game, I spend more time walking to some bosses than fighting them.

shouldn't*

You might actually have ADD user.

And the assholes before Nito's lair are the worst of all.

He is right.

Or maybe because the game is boring as fuck after you get over the great aesthetic. After I got bored and quit the first time I started another run and decided to dexfag because first run was full end/str and even though I knew most of the shit after I rung the second bell on 3rd or 4th hour and got bored and quit again. And after that I returned in hope that the Artorias DLC was gonna renew my interest and after I beat him on the 3rd try I think I quit at the humanity with glowing eyes things, probably because the framerate there was abyssmal

Guess I should play FO4 to end then.

The entirety of Fo4 is shit. Just because you didn't like 1 portion or don't like the way it works doesn't make the game a 2/10.

I did say its 2/10, I just said I cant't stomach something and thats why I quit. Its not a bad game it has good although simplistic and rather slow combat, interesting setting, cool as fuck aesthetic. Although I has shit camera and shit hitboxes for such a high in-game damage game, it also has shit framerate. The level design is interesting although and most bosses its just a flat space.
It just had that one critical error for me. I'd give it a "6/10 got bored but its good". Its neither an amazing or great game and definitely isnt meh so Ill leave it at good.

didn't say*
fuck

Well the frame rate is an easy fix with mods. And the camera becomes much more manageble after you kinda figure it out. I rarely have an issue with it unless I'm in small areas like portions of Anor Lando or the sewers (which are completely skippable). Otherwise I guess it's preference. The games tops tbh.

rollan

Rollorng
I'm surprised THIS hasn't been posted.

3 was a disappointment. Nowhere near as mediocre as 2, but still not as good as DaS/DeS.

DaS had much better balance in its gameplay. You could play as a flippy dexfag, or a glass cannon, or a tank character, etc etc etc. But DaS3, with its infinite rolling and lack of poise or decent hyper armor basically just turns the game into rolling and R1 spam. All other build styles are rendered useless. Only way to really bother playing the game is with the same dodge-dodge-poke-poke playstyle.

And that's without getting into the world design. The individual levels in DaS3 are beautiful and well crafted. But the problem is they're almost completely linear in terms of progression. Linearity isn't an inherently bad thing in all games all the time, but I believe DaS1 benefited greatly from it's metroid-like style of interconnected areas. It keeps things fresh and replayable by allowing you to do things in different order, different routes depending on your build and what items/weapons you wanted to get first, etc. That sort of variability is greatly diminished in DaS3.

Overall, this made it so that DaS3 was a fantastic game for that first playthrough, and arguably better than DaS1. But DaS1 beats it out hands-down when you factor in the replayability, which DaS3 lacks. I have yet to play it again with a different build or on NG+.

DS1 remains fresh & fun for longer b/c you can pick the Master Key and then do things in whatever order you want. I find DS3 to be far worse than DS2 despite the improved mechanics & more interesting bosses, because I favor open-ended progress to linearity. DS3 feels better & looks better but 2 is superior.

It's not just the master key. There are tons of different ways to go through Lordran without even necessarily needing the master key. But yes, the opennes and ability to choose your own path greatly enhances the experience.

Of course, everyone knows that the lord vessel areas are the worst part of DaS1. And these are the parts where it becomes much more linear as well, completely ditching the interconnected style of the first 2/3rds of the game.

I completely disagree with DaS3 being worse than DaS2, however. DaS2 is a fucking trainwreck. Worst part about it is how loose and sloppy the controls are. It's hard to describe; it just feels wrong playing it. It's not even just about the hitboxes or the shitty adaptability (read: playability) stat. It's just sluggish to play, and you don't get that satisfaction when you pick it up and play.

I can come back to DaS1 or DaS3 and get right into it. But if I try to get back into DaS2, it takes forever to adjust to the wonky controls. And then I can go right back to playing DaS1 or 3 and feel right at home. What a shit game.

Just reached the Ringed City. Friede was a lot easier than last time, still took a few goes. Beat Demon Prince on third try. However, this fucking DLC is somehow worse than AoA so far. Its such a chore getting around. Gank squads everywhere, cramped levels, enemies that take 10 hits to die but can kill you in 2 or 3. Miyahacki just didn't give a shit with this game did he?

I won't be surprised if I simply stop and move onto Soul of Cinder just to finish the game. I'm not enjoying it. Earthen Peak was cool to see again, ruined by the angels though. Looks beautiful and Demon Prince was a cool fight. I have heard immense praise for Gael though so maybe I should just try and endure my way to him.

The streets section with the trio of fat cunts is pure bullshit, other than everything's manageable enough.

It's like a short stroll with enemies you can just ignore. Four Kings isn't a particularly hard boss, more of a damage test. They have pretty heavily telegraphed attacks.

I do not understand that section. The rest of the DLC, particularly the areas prior to it, are well-designed overall with interesting layouts and enemy encounters, but that street area, and to a lesser extent the swamp behind it, harken back to the groan-inducing Dark Souls II design philosophy of 'let's shove a load of the same enemy here with no terrain or gimmicks to make it interesting.'

I'm not saying that the rest of the DLC is brilliant but that one section sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison.

Anons… Try Plunging Attack

Jump off a short pier.

you're not too far off from Gael at that point. keep at it.

Gael is a cool fight, definitely stick it through to him at least.
Go offline
The only boss I didnt bother to try to beat in Ds3 was the optional dragon.

im stuck with my current character on 3, I decided to remake my favorite dark souls 1 character (dex/int softcapped disregard physicals) and I am stuck having to either defeat freide, dancer, or abyss watchers to progress
also I have spent at least 20000 souls on normal titanite shards this is not okay
is there anything in the game with dex/int scaling like velkas rapier? I dont mind if it is usually regarded as trash after all everyone deluded themselves into thinking velkas rapier was trash when it is actually fucking great

missed a zero

RALL

I DIDNT EVEN SEE THIS ROLLLLLLLL

rolllllllllll

The dancer is the easiest boss in the game. She's slow, and highly choreographed. I'm not sure what weapons have good scaling, but I can tell you the broadsword is the best weapon in the game simply because its fast with moderate damage output.

I dont have enough stamina for the consecutive rolls that her spin attack in the 2nd stage does, I run out from full before she is done, if it were not for that I could eventually just kill her without getting hit once (as in almost all of her attacks one shot me)
I have been using the dark hand on her but she is so hard to hit with it, the time it takes for you to punch, which is quite fast, she is already out of your infinitesimally small range

So go and parry the Abyss Watchers into oblivion. That, or you can summon for help.

This is why stamina is always one of the first things I level up.

oh shit, you can summon like 3 different npc for them cant you? I will try them again with summons

it wasnt a problem when I made this character the first time in ds1…

To be fair, you aren't meant to face the dancer until way later in the game.

Rollan

Damn darksouls 3 is such a shitty guts simulator. What were they thinking?

They weren't. They just made a shitty Bloodborne sequel with the DaS skin.

they looked at all the complaints about two and made sure to be nothing like two, leaving, then made a dark souls game with bloodborne coding.
the multiplayer is way different and somewhat dumbed down, but the group battles are fun in a new way, I like them

Group battles? You mean campering with your girlfriends on top of spawn points in anor londo with ultragreatswords, killing one phantom before others arrive?

>

sort of, but I dont have friends so I am always the invader
its feels like a completely different game when it is ruotinly either 3 on 1 against me, they are actually in the level, or both, and I like that game

lobotomize yourself, you're not fit to think

Just finished up Ringed City and the Soul of Cinder.

Other than the streets and the Ringed Knights, it was a good DLC. Midir stole the show though, Gael was stupid with his fucking cape attacking me.

It's like im on Holla Forums in a star wars thread. Holy shit

Ringed city is honestly the most interesting part of dark souls 3 in retrospect; this is only because aldrich as a concept was super cool and they dropped the ball off the planet and into the depths of space

Kill yourself.

What should Aldrich have been then?

Rollismo.

fuggg :DDDDDDD

With all of that build up? He shouldn't have been a crystal Sage reskin. I know that he wasn't designed with that in mind obviously, but if you look at attack patterns and attack properties, he's just a bigger crystal sage. In dark souls 1 they show you loud and clear what happens when a body gets too full of humanity; a dark wraith goes from a skeleton man to looking like those sludge monsters that shoot spears out of their mouths. The fight should have been
There, that's the fight, and while that would be hard to do, if you build something up like final boss material, it had better be fucking final boss material

What's the best class to play?

in ds1 basically anything but magic user is best imo

What about Dark Souls 3?

Time to roll.

Rollan

Dark Souls didn't have a sequel. Thanks for your blogpost about Bright Souls. Next you'll tell us how Bright Souls 2 was better the Bright Souls and Dark Souls.

I would say sorcerer then, they have range and "one shot enemy phantoms" type damage when you go all out but dark/pyro gives you more damage type options

I grant you that its finished, but thats all the positives. Otherwise your playing a greatest hits album without much of the charm that the original songs had.

I wanted to do a new run. Lets see what I get.

post memes

roll

Some games are simply objectivity good. or bad.

People who say games are subjective haven't played very many games.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Dark Souls 1? I've tried playing it multiple times and just get bored and stop after an hour or two every time. It's repetitious, and most of the bosses can be cheesed with resin buffs.

I've always seen it as a mediocre beat-em-up with little to no story and a bullshit enemies to keep people playing out of frustration and just to finish the game

Why is everyone so obsessed with Dark Souls 1? I've tried playing it multiple times and just get bored and stop after an hour or two every time. It's repetitious, and most of the bosses can be cheesed with resin buffs.

I've always seen it as a mediocre beat-em-up with little to no story and a bullshit enemies to keep people playing out of frustration and just to finish the game

You went to far for me to take you seriously, but heres a (You) just for trying.

It's an adventure without some cheeky narrative or story thrown in.
You wouldn't really be a good judge of that if you only played for the first few hours would you? The game has plenty of variety in the way you can fight and is in a perfect balance between being nonlinear but still having a basic order to how you progress.
Some are immune and even then resin buffs only do so much damage. You still need to use certain tactics on certain bosses. I highly doubt you beat more than a few bosses by just mashing R1 at them.

Basically, you don't have to like the game. But don't go making statements as if they were facts.

Rolling

I've watched a friend play through the game, it's definitely repetitious. Especially if you die.

I think you meant:

Agreed
You're right, you also have to mash the roll button too

You know we call certain people gay because they do not possess the correct reaction to certain stimuli, this is for people like you.

Never said that. I said I determined the game was repetitious through watching my friend play through it and playing a few hours myself.

And you do mash the roll button in boss fights. You time your first roll and keep rolling to get distance, then by the time you've hit an acceptable distance, the boss has another attack ready so you have to keep rolling

Dummy, read better. I both watched and played it

Try actually playing the game. It may seem that way if you're watching somebody play it who's beat the thing a dozen times because he's fully aware of everything in it. There's a large difference. Besides that there's unique areas and enemies who have very different attacks and require different tactics. To me that's the opposite of repetitive.
No it has many different ways you fight enemies. You can't kill a low level undead the same way you kill a ghost or a Hydra.
Depends on the fight. Self placement plays a giant key in winning as well.