please
archive.is/Ty5Rh
shc.sonicresearch.org/entry
blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/
youtube.com/watch?v=yIe2UmDKp8A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck. Really? That's amazing.

looks better than Mania

I guess its a good snack before 29 August.

Most likely the new levels compared to mania.

I know i am not the right person to complain, but Holla Forums really changed into some sonic fan club recently.

Let's not forget the Dynamic backgrounds! Mania was made with limitations in mind though, so it's explanatory.

It has and I'm happy as hell about it. Mania rekindled the love people had for Sonic, and let's hope odyssey does the same.

Someone better port this shit to linux.

It would be cool if someone ported it to a handheld like the 3DS or PSP

Imagine if Mania became open source and we could MERGE THESE GAMES.

Port it to all the systems.

Sonic fans and just people who liked the genesis games (so a lot) have layed dormant here for awhile. Mania reminded people that Sonic is fucking sweet, and the autism that he brings isn't annoying as much as it is hilarious.

Is it really a bad thing? SEGA has been doing amazing with Mania to Fist of the Yakuza. They weren't fucking around with "Amazing Sega"

It's quite literally the only good console game in forever that isn't filled with storycuckoldry or online multiplayer cancer.

You are kind of sounding like a faggot right now

Don't make me suck your dick.

Have they finally zoomed the camera out a little? It was too close, even for a Sonic game.

Suck mine I need it!!! Seriously, I've got a big fucking load that needs shooting.

Levels feel too big, can't see shit where i am coming.
Cutscenes made in SWF and not working for me for some reason, even though i can open them in browser. Just white screen in game.
Very shitty gimmicks on stages.
First i though shield protecting me from spikes was stupid, but then i learned that other shields like water shield still survive the spikes, but damage my rings directly, and that was even more stupider.
Drop dash works really shitty.
No controller support, only up/down/left/right and z.
Shit resolution. Not even a bilinear filter.

Why you make fuse out of this? Its garbage. Doesn't even feels like sonic game.

Only one thing you said actually critizised level design…

Downloading the source right now, going to look and see if it's a simple build command away or if it's going to take a little bit of doing for a Linux build.

If I had a proper toolchain set up and more time to dedicate to it, I'd like to make a 3DS port, so long as it's not crazy resource heavy. Reminds me of the GP2X days and playing Cave Story on the go long before the 3DS was even on the map and PSPs were the only other good option for portable emulation.

CTRL+Y. I'm pretty sure it tells you this in the startup screen or in options.

Well, I guess that answers that question. Not going to get anywhere without that.

MMF2 is alright engine. You can get it here:
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3488700

No, it clearly wasn't.

no it doesn't, just half an A press

I browse the internet relatively unprotected aside from standard adblock and antivirus. I don't trust myself with torrents to not fully expose my machine, don't have a VPN.

Sonic actually looked blurry?

Like many Genesis titles, it relied heavily on dithering to achieve certain effects, like that (for the time) gorgeous transparent waterfall. That's very close to what it looked like on your average TV and original hardware

Mania misses the point completely, and instead focused on reproducing the raw image with unblended dithering, so you have shit like those disgusting 1-2 pixel wide lines of water instead of a lovely transparent and continuous waterfall which they very easily could have implemented while keeping everything nice and sharp.

Why would you call it DX when Adventure DX was worse than the original?

Then again it depends on which wires you hooked up your Genesis with. Scart, Composite, Component, S-video?

It makes a difference. When I was a kid I always had a RGB SCART, and instantly noticed how much blurrier composite is.

Not to mention most things with DX (barring a Nissan) means it's usually the Deluxe version which makes it better. Just look at the US version of Jet Set Radio which had to be redone for Japanese audiences as Jet Set Radio DX because it added 2 new levels and a bunch of new music.

Of course, but that's how the game was meant to be viewed (and not in a smug meme manner, but literally how the developers designed many effects). Note 0:50 in the video you linked, how the glass tube is only properly blended with composite, while the other two look like shit.

Earthworm Jim is another Genesis title that heavily relied on blended dithering to achieve many effects.

that doesn't exist.

But Mania is coming to PC so you could easily play it on a CRT

You would need to play it on a specific type of CRT. Or they could have, you know, just been slightly more competent, and created the art in-engine to match what it was originally intended to look like.

What's stopping you from playing it on one with a console either? I'm pretty sure you could use some adapters to get it to work.

Well shit, I confused De La and DX for that. Fuggg

Do the in-game filters not look shitty enough for you?

Would it have really killed them to do some proper water

See
I don't want filters, I wanted a tad more effort on the part of the developers to faithfully recreate those special effects in-engine. I don't think that's asking for much

hi, local crt fag that does repairs on really high end crt monitors

you only saw that because you were playing in rf on a shitty emerson, the crt filters in sonic mania are done brilliantly and are far more than just a bit of blur and blank lines but a proper emulation of phosphor glow, shadowmask or aperture grille.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

the effect is still achieved cleanly and melds well with the saturn style aesthetic the game has.

Can you give me a screenshot of said effect being achieved? Because it sure isn't in

Crisp version looks better. Thank god for emulation.

open it full screen and sit father away, then play the game and try playing the game yourself.

The CRT meme is the death grips of Holla Forums

what sonic actually looked like tbh

still the best display for video games, undeniably, no matter what, you will play better if you use a CRT.

I'm not going to sit farther away. Look at it yourself, and note how instead of a transparency effect being achieved, as it is on original hardware through composite, each individual line of water is completely opaque, and we're left with a blue-tinted blur between them.

pls

not every crt is the same
the idea is to achieve the transparency by having your eyes naturally blend together the background pixel columns by having ample distance between you and the display. Fast movement through the scene also aids in this. It's an accurate recreation, and the foundation of the crt hard/soft image is based off of how sonic on the genesis appears on a sony pvm20L5 and commodore 1084 monitor respectively, and it's extremely accurate and faithfully done.

Everything on your average CRT television was at least a little blurry. It was only 720x480 with a pixel density low enough to stretch it out to 20-50 inches diagonally. It was never a high quality image.

crts are inherently blurry due to a large number of factors, average consumer displays more so.

An accurate recreation would be playing on a shitty tv which is what the overwhelming majority of the audience had, which is why they designed those effects around that in the first place instead of professional broadcasting displays.

Most SNES games, and everything from gen 5 looks gorgeous on those displays, but that's really not "authentic" for the genesis.

Their early models were a little too new wave for my taste. But when color came out in the 50's, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole system has a blurry, unfocused view, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the visuals a big boost. It's been compared to cinema, but I think CRTs have a far more bitter, cynical sense of style.

How disappointing.

I honestly prefer to play anything 6th gen onwards on a flat screen. Just tried SotC at 480p using component on my small LED today. It looked great!

sotc is a game that runs in 240p my man, plus the ps2 is a system where the majority of the games are interlaced which lcds just butcher. 480p isn't very appealing on LCDs, but it's better than 480i and lower, of course. The displays are designed to handle progressive scan. Problem is its blowing up 480p to 1080 lines and letter boxing the rest and that doesn't really go to cleanly. Once you hit 720p the issues are far more minimized.

you mighta played on crap, but the people that mattered didn't. here's MJ playing on a PVM-2030.

Have you, you knowwww, bothered to actually tweet this at them or contact them? The PC version WAS delayed for a reason you know.

I don't give a fuck

Damn you rich kids and your fancy connections, my 32xCD (gifts from rich relatives I didn't meet until I was in my early 20's) was hooked up via RF adapter.

your eyes do

Fuck me user

no but look at these kawaii blank lines

looks fine to me, i'm looking at it on a crt screen.

Just a prank bro haha, If I was serious I would have probably told ya to shove your CRT and Genesis up your arse ou fucking autistic manchild obsessed with dead media (which I didn't because i'm a nice person who respects others opinions) now that was just parody don't take it seriously, love ya you pathetic neckbearded loser (me being sarcastic again haha)

Citation needed

Post your favorite Sonic OST in celebration!

also because I need some good sonic related music to listen to.

sieg heil

also I mistook it for ico which is a 240p game my mistake
please use archive.is/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps2-ps3-comparison

What was your source?

archive.is/Ty5Rh

Okay so it must run at 480i but can still output 480p am I correct?

My personal all-time favorite. Can't beat the part where the music is made out of pitched ring sounds.

so you want the game to be unplayable for people who are already on a CRT?
I mean the source was indeed crispy, if you care so much about it why not play on your CRT?

vid related

I'll have to explain a bit–
the game uses a technique called field based rendering which relies on the interlacing lines (fields) to render the image in steps which vastly improves performance. Rez is a good example, 30fpx 640x480 progressive on the dreamcast, but 640x480 interlaced @60fps on the PS2 because of its use of field based rendering.

A few PS2 games can do 480p, and some can be forced into it (like MGS2) but if you force an incompatible game which uses field based rendering to render in 480p it will look horrible. The games that do run in a 480p mode will always prompt you otherwise.

If you are playing these games on an LCD, the technology can't naturally do interlaced video, so it will take each field from a 480i stream and buffer them and estimate the interlaced lines to give a progressive image. It's not a very pretty image because of course, that technology is taking a guess at how the image is supposed to look.

get out

why

DELET THIS

would the virtual on composer be a good fit for sonic?

lookinggood.jpg

dang, these are good. Lava Reef is particularly 10/10

Always liked the harmonica instrument. Kinda sucks Hill Top didn't get remixed for Mania.

Jokes on you I actually like this one.

I can see you are deserving of the Good Stuff
Fresh off the presses and ready for hip young millennials like ourselves

The Mega Drive version was bitchin'.

Didn't the guy just release an official 'not-Sonic' game not too long ago?

This one makes me feel like I'm watching a Windows 98 screensaver.

Semi-on topic but Mugimikey really cucked out when making offensive videos. His humor used to be crass and fucked, and I liked it that way. It seems he's stepped back, dialed it on the humor and just made his videos more tame as a result.

IT SURE BEATS FIGHTING WITH THE FO'S ALL THE TIME

I wrote this pic related in one of the other Sonic threads but it was completely ignored.
I actually put a little effort into it, so I would Appreciate if an user can critique it and tell me what or what isn't shit about my ideas.

Fuck off, attention whore. And fuck your gay hedgehog too. Sonic was never good.

Been hearing that shit for the last 10 years. your obviously never going to convince fans that it's true.

user, where can I get your contact info?

alI I really got is a Twitter and a Steam account.

Not bad, but it's a little buggy and prone to framerate drops.

It does make me curious though, are there any other good Sonic fan games to play while waiting for the 29th?

Sonic BTS.
Sonic Robo Blast 2.
Sonic Time Twisted.
Spark the Electric Jester (not really a fangame but made by lakefeperd himself)
Those are a few at the top of my head that I can think of.
As far as romhacks go. I recommend looking at the sonic hack contest, and it's historical entries. Sonic Next Level from 2015 was mind-blowing. Apparently MarkeyJester made it very quickly in the last second because he was trying to get another romhack working and he was having too much trouble.
I'm amazed Sonic Next level runs on Genesis Hardware.
The sonic hack contest entries can be seen here: shc.sonicresearch.org/entry

Cool, thanks a lot

I don't hate Edgy Shadow, I enjoy all version of him, but Adventure 2 Shadow is the character at his best.
Edgy Shadow can't work unless Sonic starts taking it'self seriously and gets a darker again, and that really isn't what's best for the series.

đź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź‘Śđź’Żđź’Żđź’Żđź’Żđź’Żđź’Żđź’Żđź’Ż

Hey buddy, heard about sega saturn or the fucking dreamcast ? Even the snes is better than this shit music megadrive

BUT I GOTTA DO THEY ALWAYS STAY OUTTA LINE

BTW new Hunid P came out recently with Sonic Mania

That whole game and its music were screwy, but fuck I loved it.

Damn. He has not lost his touch.

Y'all niggas need more music

Mega Collection had some surprisingly good shit when it really didn't need to

why does this map me cry. I had this Collection. Played it with my brother.

FUCK time you slut

Yes, the inevitable changing tides of time are a massive existential dick
In return for exposing you as a bitch that cries at music, have some based Naganuma

Anybody know how to get this working in WINE?

Don't let it use X11 and a bunch of other shit. Also spoilers for new content.

>Naganuma will never ever do music for a Sonic game again

Are these hacks playable on original hardware?

nevermind thought this was a hack

Eh, more Naganuma is always a good thing, but Rush wasn't exactly his best work
Though it's hard to say whether that was because it was a sonic game or because of the shitty DS sound chip

There are a few levels I wish they added to Mania, but they remixed so many sprites and mechanics and added little nods to tons of elements throughout the series, that I'm not particularly upset.

I mean, Mirage Saloon Zone act 1 was basically Sky Chase. The ziplines from Hill Top were in Green Hill Zone act 2. Press Garden Zone used tons of stuff from Ice Cap and Marble Garden. There's stuff all over the place, random references and tons of reworked mechanics.

I'm more surprised they didn't include a remix of Ice Cap Zone, especially with its 10/10 soundtrack.

lol

this fag is using this

If you want your game to look like you're playing it on a CRT, why not just hook up your computer to a CRT? What's the fucking point of a filter?

IT'S JUST AN ADDITION FILTER FOR FUN.

ADDITIONAL !!

ADDITIONAL!!!

YES !!!!!!!!!!!

I just looked at some other videos of this. Yeah, the titlescreen looks nice, they drew Sonic in a cute style, but the gameplay sprites and everything else looks worse than the originals.

CRT and scanline filthers are mostly cancer, just use a shader to blend the dithering and maybe add a bilinear filter.

How?

In options there should be two options that start with force use, one of them should have XQuartz in it. I have both of those checked. Also check the set screen options in configuration, it shouldn't matter too much what you have selected here except there should be a thing saying to use native drivers rather than X11. If you did it right it may ask you to install XQuartz first.

I don't really follow. I don't know where any of that is.

ok let's try something else
get wine tricks if you don't already and look in the DLL option for anything with X11 in its name.

Wait a second. When you got the game you did make sure to unpack it, right?

Like these?

I think so.
This is what it looks like, it's also in my Vidya folder.

yeah, those. One thing is that I used an old wrapper that already has a bunch of fixes for things, so I'm making a fresh one for this game and seeing what I have to do to make it work from there.

ok I got it to work by installing all fonts so try that, should be in winetricks

Which option is that under, in the main list?

Also I just found out that everything is giving me this error. So it's probably not even ATS DX, since ATS isn't working anymore.

THANK YOU

You probably don't have any fonts installed. Like cheap beer, fonts are a vital resource for many programs to run. Go through with option you have selected right now and you should have a list of install and run options, go to the install a font option and check all fonts, then run.

That's good, but that's the original version, not the DX one. You should probably download the DX version and replace it before playing. You shouldn't need to fiddle with anything else in wine to get the newer version running, as well.

Doing so now was met with this.
Any idea what to rename it to? Or should I just delete it to start over?

Nah, Lake's coding is ass so DX runs like dogshit on my computer. Despite OG ATS running fine.

Every one of you needs to die. TYou demonic nazi hellbeasts need to

STAY AWAY FROM MY GAMES

In that case I'd say just stick with the original, if you're really interested in buff Eggman you can just look it up, you're not missing much.

Did you try renaming the file?

Nah. It's fine.
I just accidentally uninstalled the font explorer.
Had to dig to remember what it was.

Why does this version run like ass in comparison to the original? What could the dev have possibly changed that would make the entire game run in slow-mo?

I have a reluctance to touch anything code or computer related, that isn't 100% retard proof.

And I'm sure now you understand why.

It looks extremely saturated.

This fan game or whatever it is looks really great. I think I'ved found the missing piece that we don't have, which was crucial. In Sonic the game pans righg to left within a half second. This causes immense motion blur at 60 fps (even up to 240hz) on an LCD/LED. Your eyes can't fully process what's passing by as it is blurred, no focus. On CRT's, there is zero pixel panning blur known as ghosting. Strobing minimizes blur on lcd but only works 120+ fps. At 500 hz lcd motion blur (without lightboost/strobing) is just about as good as a crt. Guys, try this on a CRT and tell me if you can play better / see the ground better when going fast. References: blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/

I merely brought this up because watching gameplay/streams of this - the entire forefront environment was blurred when moving. On genesis this never happens on an old crt tv. Going through a tube tunnel - you see the surroundings very clearly.

wew

Mark really should ban LakeFeperd from shilling his shitty poorly optimized games games here.

That racing game looked like it had potential to be very cool. But people are smoking crack if they think After the Sequal or Spark the electric jester is equivalent to anything produced by Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley.

works fine on my system

Holy Mobius, Rush's soundtrack is the only one who made it possible for me to love every single track of the game. I never thought before a mixture of pop, rap and fast rhythm and tempo would came out as an amazing masterpiece.

Jun Senoue is great and all stuiff, but I want Naganuma back too and hear more music like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=yIe2UmDKp8A

Compare the DS sound chip to Wii's sound card through Sonic Colors versions, and you will see it depends on the developer who is willing to put effort on making songs sounds as great as possible with any sound chip existent in the world. Colors DS sounds slightly worse, but it's nowhere bad to hear. It sounds pretty good with pretty great songs from Colors.

Now, look at Chronicles and tell me if it was really DS sound chip's fault for making the game having awful soundtrack.

Not him, but I got an 32-bit memory exception myself. There are references to NVidia, however my drivers don't give me errors in other 3D applications.

And yes, I am running a 32-bit WINE prefix.

Assuming it's not a missing font error again, try making a new wrapper with a windows XP prefix instead and install fonts on that as well.

Sonic is conservative as fuck dude, far out!

Sonic is a fucking libertarian?

He's a fucking running hobo, you think he gives two shits about the state?

I didn't know Sonic was a Jew?

Fuck you Sega, either get your shit together or get the fuck out of the way.

Not like BUDGET has anything to do with the quality of the game.
Compare AFS to Christians older projects and it's a no contest.

What am I doing wrong?

fonts motherfucker

So I need to find and install some non-standard fonts for game to run huh?
Would be really nice if error told me that AND which fucking fonts exactly do I need.

What fucking font do I need motherfucker?

I dunno which one bitchtits just download them all it's like 10 seconds from winetricks

B-but it's a windows 7 error.

Try turning off cutscenes then, nerd

What if I want cut-scenes?

Then watch a youtube video you pozhole or make sure you have flash installed

I mean yeah it worked, but I want my cut-scenes.
Dude put effort in, and I don't wont to skip his shit, even if he didn't put effort to make sure his shit werks.
Also how do I rebind controls?

im glad your series is dead you piece of shit rabbit

For those underage fags who don't get it pic related is how dev worked back in the day: everything got tested on a regular CRT TV and they went around the limitations of the hardware at the time to get the desired effect

Thats why it looks better on an old TV, because it was designed for it. Even PC CRTs had double the resolution of a TV so not even old emulators before LCDs looked right

IMHO this pixel shit retro trend is cancer, we could easily have 2D games that look perfectly on HD with fluid animations the likes not eve NeoGeo games (which only richfags had) could achieve. The only ones doing this afaik is skullgirls, too bad it triggered so many landwhales

I much ratter have the Sonic2HD remake than this mania bullshit which is also mostly rehash but with graphics that woulda been possible in the 32X 23 fucking years ago

Please fucking respond?

Finally somebody says it

This is also why journofags these days hate sonic so much (beside muh mid-2000 memes)

These cunts can't play for shit, they are artschool bitches pretending to be gamers because they couldn't land a better job

So of course they hate games they suck at

why does sonic have such a huge following?
Why doesn't Mario have the same?
Just curious.

did you install flash?

Yes? I can play webms and shit.

I agree with what he said except for the nintendo vs sonic on the music department

the DKC soundtrack and sonic are apples to oranges, both great in their own right

Open up a .swf file, look on swfchan if you don't have any. If it works then you should be able to run after the sequel with cutscenes.

I can play swf files from game's folder in both my browsers or media player.
Game still gives an error and crashes. I don't fucking want them to watch separately what the shit.
I'm also fucking tired of captch, my vpn is acting up today

I'm currently in hour 6 of statistics hell so I'm gonna just say if you still can't run it look for the after the sequel thread on Sonic Stadium and someone will probably have the same problem as you.

Mario does have a following too, especially when many fans reported through the internet that they are happy Nintendo is bringing back the sandbox 3D Mario genre, and when many reported that they were sad with how Paper Mario is turning out lately.

You don't see it often because Mario has a much better quality and better management by Nintendo than Sonic by Sonic Team. Mario fans don't have to worry that Mario will have many soft reboots, many completely different (and also some being bad) games that will divide the Mario's fanbase and that Mario will be exposed to be humiliated and ridicularized through bad comics, an awful cartoon and questionable weird fandom from DeviantART, since Mario will never suffer any of theses mistakes Sonic has through the years. Miyamoto (along Tezuka) knows how does Mario works and why is it good, while Iizuka has made a huge damage to Sonic and still don't know why was Sonic good in the first place, especially when Yuji and Naoto have left off Sonic around the Adventure games were new.

It's more apparent and noticeable to see a following Sonic has than Mario thanks to Sonic Team that has developed more bad than good Sonic games since Adventure until now, which this awakes fans to criticize Sonic Team (and mainly Iizuka).

I'm having the same problem, thing is, i played it on another computer and it ran fine, i don't WTF is wrong with my PC that is doing that, as it is way more powerful than the other one.

SEGA shilling sonic mania.
Anons have always liked sonic though.

How do you rebind controls?

Underrated Soundtrack

It's too short, but I bet you won't cry for this.

OH SHIT I'M FEELING IT