Should I join?

Should I join?

what do they do?

Other urls found in this thread:

counterpunch.org/2016/09/09/announcement-of-nationally-coordinated-prisoner-workstoppage-for-sept-9-2016/
theintercept.com/2016/09/16/the-largest-prison-strike-in-u-s-history-enters-its-second-week/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

These days? Nothing much really.

might be a good way to link up with fellow leftists and find out about other projects, but don't expect the IWW itself to be doing too much.

yeah

Is there an equivalent for a sector that's actually relevant this century, for like tech or service workers? There ought to be.

They organized the largest prison strike in US history last year…

Disgusting.

I emailed them in my area and they didn't even respond.

Easy mate. I'm just pointing out that there aren't many industrial workers left.

what are are you in?

it looks like they're into fastfood workers these days and panhandlers

tech workers don't even have self awareness so i dont think they can have class consiousness

No other groups are comparable. Btw IWW is the one big union for all sectors of industry, service and tech included.

at this point it's only nostalgia keeping the IWW alive

I respect what they did, but that was well over a century ago now, and it hasn't been relevant for nearly a century

Talk about boring shit in a church basement for an hour a month and then ask you to pay $30 a month for the muh privilege.

go to the local office and talk to them directly

some are good some are shit, largely depends on your local chapter

i'm not american but i follow some anarchist unions mailing lists and they organize some strikes in some areas. They seem to be really nice since they are not affiliated with the cancer IWA

They are pretty small at the moment, only about 3000, but growing rapidly, their are members hoping to hit 10,000 by 2020

Hype for new IWA

I'm in IWW currently, but really unless you have substantial organizing experience and can singlehandedly jumpstart the work of a branch, it's not worth joining unless there are active campaigns in your area. I've been pushing really hard to do more organizing in my branch, and besides myself there are two old men and an older women who also want to do real work and about 35 members that just want an updated dues card. It's a losing battle to turn a branch around imo.

anyone know how good the chapters are in socal?

Are there any organizations that don't charge dues?
I can't afford to join anyone

This tbh. Also taking out the time is annoying as fuck because they all meet in the city and my whole day is gone

same

plus that's another $30 every meeting for transportation

Sauce. I heard they were planning it, but I never saw it mentioned again.

If they didn't charge dues they would be beholden to porky. Also if you can't afford the dues then you aren't a worker anyway.

counterpunch.org/2016/09/09/announcement-of-nationally-coordinated-prisoner-workstoppage-for-sept-9-2016/

theintercept.com/2016/09/16/the-largest-prison-strike-in-u-s-history-enters-its-second-week/

Kek they should be helpful right?

I have no idea
but i have heard about the revolutionary potential of the lumpenproletariate

although in the medium term - it seems a damn fast fucking way to alienate workers by having them join with panhandlers (who the proles often hate)

Been thinking of joining myself one of these days.

If nothing else but to get one of their snazzy class-conscious signs to hold during rallies.

The concept of one giant global union has only become more relevant in the age of global capital.