It's 2017 and we still dont have games that look as good as 90's renders. What do you think of this style...

It's 2017 and we still dont have games that look as good as 90's renders. What do you think of this style, and why haven't we seen them in realtime games yet?

Because it's hideous and games already look better

Isn't there already exactly the same thread?

Seeing these in motion would be the stuff of nightmares. Keep em still please, no uncanny valley time please

Those look like trash.

This autist was in another thread recently, I think it was about Toy Story in Kingdom Hearts.

Is you mayhaps handicapped?

for the most part technically you are correct due to things like the crazy amount of subdivisions they would have used as well as shit like ray tracing. but we can achieve better visual fidelity in real time.

Lighting models are more physically accurate nowadays, and more nuanced shading techniques exist to create better stylized images, as well as just plain better modelling and composition skills of artists.

I could literally remake all of these scenes shove them in unity and create a better end image that renders in real time, and that's why you're an faggot whose opinion should be discarded.

Notice that Metal Mario's reflection shows the world in front of him and off camera ending and going straight to skybox.

I think the round surfaces appear to be too glossy and short on detail for it to look good, but I don't care for modern gaming's over-emphasis on creating realistic environments either. Cell-shading is a great third way to have a good looking game without needing to aim for excessive detail or environmental realism.

Play The Desolated Hope.

no you cant

Didn't you already make a thread about this?

Yes I can.

i bet you can also compose a symphony better than mozart, but you just dont feel like it

That's not the same thing, the tools that exist these days have completely changed the workflow of graphics allowing for both higher quality and faster asset creation, and not even slightly do those renders compare to the genius of fucking mozart.

But he's right, that "generic realistic crap" does look better than #1-2 which have that eye-raping combination of shit textures and highly smooth and simple models. #3 is nothing special, #4 is straight up Dreamcast graphics and I have no idea why it's even there. Also we already had this thread.

It's because the graphics style of old invoked the imgagination more than todays hyper realistic images. There are settings in which you want very real like images(i.e horror games where the horror element invokes your imagination). Otherwise having a slightly unreal graphics style like in too bright of colors or too shiny of water causes the imagination to disconnect from reality and start imagining i.e immersion.

But with super hyper realisistic graphics and shitty gameplay it kills the immersion of todays games.
/thread
this was brought you you by the overboard.

I think I've seen this thread two or three times now.

He could just pull a nintindo. Release generic FNAF shit for cash from those with retarded tastes. Then experiment on other generas he would make of high quality. Sage for offtopic.

You will never have "graphics" as good as 90's renders because those images went through hundreds of passes which probably took several days. That shit will never be done in real time. To give you some perspective it too 7 hrs to render a single frame in the movie Toy Story 3. And that was back in 2010. More importantly those early Models look like dog shit. The Aesthetics of all 4 of those images are garbage.

I was thinking however. One of the big leaps in PC gaming came from the invention of the GPU to offload the work of rendering graphics. What if new technology was invented to handle other processes. GPU's where the reason 3D engines went in the Vector direction vs Voxel, If their was a new future tech* that Complimented the GPU and CPU it would probably be what is needed to Jump start the dying industry into a new age of innovation.

* I have no idea what that would be because I am not a Computer Engineer

Nvidia would integrate that technology in their cards.

He's working on the sequel though.

GPUs are already being used for all kinds of things, not just graphics. Particularly physics and I think AI.

Yeah, good points. Didn't even think about it. The only reason why it even crossed my mind is because I watched a documentary recently regarding tech in gaming. Being an 80's kid graphics where always catapulted by new hardware. GPU's where what set the PC ahead of console but even with console stuff like the FX chip or a new storage device. Tech has sorta plateaued and we are hitting diminishing returns. The thing I don't understand is why People still actually care about Graphics. As OP said "It's CURRENT YEAR" and I still don't care if games that look as "good" as 90's renders.

I want to see at least one throwback nostalgia platformer try to recreate this style. The platformer we were promised, but never got. I don't want it to look better, I want it as close to this as possible.

I don't know, that SM64 CGI looks on point to me. The palette especially. Classy and easier on the eyes than the color range in the finished game.

Because those renders would look fucking ugly in motion and tons of resources were used to put as little effort into them while still looking good.
Stupid.