Is Mario 64 still fun? Or is it just a mix of nostalgia...

Is Mario 64 still fun? Or is it just a mix of nostalgia, speedrunners jerking off over the movement of Mario and brand loyalty that makes people still praise this game as some sort of Holy Grail of platforming? It was technically impressive when it came out, that's for sure, but as time passes it feels like more of a tech demo than a full fledged game and just doesn't hold a candle to SMB1/3/World

yes

Can you play it for more than 20 minutes without being bored to death?

All opinions are subjective; my opinion is yes, it's fun. It's definitely a fair bit different than the previous titles, and you can argue it's different enough to not be a "proper" Mario game, but that doesn't make it not fun. But, then, i'd probably play and enjoy Nuts and Bolts for what it is, rather than for what it should have been, if i ever gave a shit to play it.

Summer's over kid, you should prepare for school.

Agreed, it is tech demo tier.
Shigeru Miyamoto actually didn't release another 3D platformer Mario game for over 5 years because he saw how good Crash Bandicoot was in action and got depressed that he knew he couldn't surpass it until the next generation with another tech demo game. Then Sunshine got BTFO by Jak and Daxter. Poor guy just couldn't catch a break.

The game is only good for parallel universes and shit

Namecalling is not an actual form of counter-argument.

this doesn't even make any sense because those games are older than 64, surely the summerfag would shill the newer game, right?

A tech demo that has probably the most satisfying movement and controls in any 3D game.

Same old tired argument of character movement but what does it matter when the game itself is not that fun and the level design doesn't take full advantage of it?

There was no argument to begin with. It's always the same tired empty shitposting thread about SM64 with vague accusations over and over. I can't tell whether these are Crashfags getting uppity about their remake or something else, but there's a conscious effort here.

You're correct but that does not invalidate my point. What I want to know is where are the games that have amazing controls and moveset, and the level design to take advantage of them? There are parts in SM64 that do, the town in Wet-Dry World is the best example.

Are we talking about mgsv?

Whatt effort? My argument was that people praise this game mostly because of the reasons I listed and such, it's all there in the OP. I'm just asking a legitimate question and all you can do is resort to namecalling and accusing me of being summer or crashfag when I never mentioned Crash to begin with, you sound awfully paranoid mate.

It was never fun.

How is it bait?

Ofc there is.
Sonyggers are getting fucking depserate that their new console is failing and even the normalfags are starting to wake up by getting drowned in some half done rehash of old games.
Exoect more threads like this one, that try to badmouth classics in order to make new products look better.
Microshit operates in the same way, and Jewtendo probably too, although I haven't seen muich shitting on old PS titles in favor of some new Mario or whatever.

Reported for console wars, go back to cuckchan.

its one of the most complete feeling games I have played in a long time, there are a shitload of levels and the core gameplay is polished as fuck compared to games with similar depth

What are the best Mario 64 romhacks?

man i do sure love this epic "x was never good" meme i want to see more of it

I never really liked 64, it got boring as shit after a while. Yeah, the movement is superb, but that's pretty much it.

Crash had superior level design, gameplay, art/character design and was far more technically impressive. Miyamoto himself admitted this, yet, some people just can't admit Sony struck gold with PS1/2 and had a far more impressive library of games.

define "fun", because as far as i'm aware a game that is simply "fun" still has not been invented.

no the summerfag would just spew trendy stale memes like he did

OP should know by now that Mario 64 is a sacred cow around here, just like Morrowind, E.Y.E, the Dreamcast (seriously overrated console in my opinion) and Nier Automata

neir automata is definitly not a sacred cow I hear nothing but shit-talking about it, I am going to have to play it one of these days because neither the people who like it or the people who dont will fucking say why you niggers

It used to be at least

It remains the tightest and most fun 3D platformer ever made, with the best level design to boot. Leaving most stars unlocked no matter what objective you chose was also genius-tier design since it adds an extra layer of exploration and experimentation to the game.
Later entries like Galaxy or Sunshine have much more polish, but they're also just linear set pieces with a specific star at the end. SM64 lets you direct the action, in other words, while Sunshine and Galaxy just make you a scripted actor.

Huh?

has anyone ever fixed this game through emulation? the camera in sm64 is some of the worst of any 3D games out there.

the fact that marios movement changes as the camera changes forcing you to use the "fixed" camera mode for tricky spots just shows how bad it is. if youre trying to walk a narrow path, you better turn on fixed camera so the camera doesnt suddenly shift 90 degrees causing you to run straight off the path. if someone would just mod this game for a dual analog controller or just make it so the left and right C buttons were smooth instead of sudden jumps the game would be so much better. it would actually become one of the best 3d platformers out there.

It gets a 2/10 for playability, but SM64 Chaos is entertaining if you've mastered the game already and want to feel that sweet feeling of pure frustration.

You have to believe in fun to understand the objective truth of that statement. I understand that around here, the concept of "fun" is seen as a jewish trick.

But there are many other 3D platformers that i've had more fun with than Mario 64.

Here's the context.

That's fair. Your opinions are simultaneously correct and shit. That's how opinions work.

Play it and form your own opinion; quit being a retard that needs his opinion validated by anons on a korean knitting forum.

isnt that what mod this fat fuck used to make this video? (sorry no webm)

It looks like it, yeah. Partially, anyway. There's no Banjo Kazooie stuff in Chaos, so that bit at least was a different hack.

so its got mods that break the game. are there mods that fix the broken as shit camera?

The camera is fine you fucking sonygger.
N64 controller > Dualshit

I dont think I ever had problems with the camera, perhaps your just retarded?

/thread

The camera's perfectly fine as it is.
When a game is perfect already, the only thing that you can do with it is break it. :^)

yea, its perfectly fine for a camera to not be able to spin around in a circle

n64 controller was one of the poorest designed official controllers ever made. the camera in mario 64 is trash. maybe you havnt played it in a long time? the camera cant even spin around completely. it also moves on its own and immediately changes mario's direction. also, it can only move at fixed angles.
you nintoddlers never change.

I replayed it a few months ago. Yes, it's still fun. The main reason why I found it to still be fun is that the levels are small, so they're filled with things to do. You go to get one star, and you look at all this other stuff and you are already ready to come back to the level so you can get the other star.

I dropped Yooka Laylee, the levels were too large. You'd find something cool and then spend 5 minutes walking to it.

SM64 was basically

Modern games

The camera is probably the weakest point of the game, but if you consider the level design, gameplay, etc the camera isn't a deal breaker.

And before you fags call me a nostalgia fag, I've dropped plenty of games I've played in the past because they weren't that good. Some of you would probably get angry with me if I told you what games they were.

No, its not.
Also stop playing videogames

I played it a few years ago on the DS, I dont remember the camera changing for the remake but perhaps it did
anyway the remake at the very least has a totally fine camera and I highly suspect its exactly the same as on the n64.
as far as the 64 contoller goes its not as bad as the memes would have you believe but it is bad, the analog stick really grates on your thumb with continuous use and its often used for movement (ie continuous use)

>All must adhere to a single standard or it's shit!
You sound like a millennial, to be quite honest.

That's because you're comparing what's essentially the progenitor of 3D platformers to everything made since that were directly inspired by it. Of course it's rough around the edges, especially with regard to camera control.
It has everything those games had and more. Also, Super Mario Bros 2 is the best game in the series.

is this really how assblasted pc fags think game design works?

Of course it's still fun, you fucking mongoloid faggot. Also SMB3 sucks balls.

your wrong, but I want to know why you think that anyway

Yeah, early games you had to have talented programmers who could make the most out of limited hardware. Now you have people making games who can't even code thanks to things like UE4 blueprints, where you just drag and drop game logic.

Go look at the tools they used to make SM64, absolutely barbaric. They had to make their own physics engine too.

No.
The game aged like milk and i have noticed youtubers trying to force an epic meme how it's the greatest platformer ever created, going so far to say that original Crash Bandicoot was always trash that couldn't hold a candle to it.

why do that to yourself? i hope you didnt pay for it…

the camera is shit, faggot.
it's always been shit and was always a complaint about the game.

31 years old. so yea, thats technically a millennial. you sound like the kind of kid that would try to argue frank sinatra and the beatles are the epitome of music. because it's classic (for you)

i bought an aftermarket gamecube analog stick and put it in the n64 controller. much better. but its just a poor design. the dpad cant even be used at the same time as the analog stick. or the L button. it was just poorly thought out.

What's overrated about the Dreamcast? Which system in 1999 was superior in every way to the Sega Dreamcast?

Do you know a better modern platformer? Also I got it "from a friend" ;)

Holla Forums can't be shitting on mario 64, right?

Isn't summer over already?

i liked the new rayman. but its not 3D and im assuming you want a 3d platformer.

similar to mario and the like? not really. the closest you can get are 3d games that have some platforming in them.
i just suggest you go back and play some great games you may have missed.

i think he meant is overrated on Holla Forums, which i agree with. many people on here argue like it was the best console ever made when really it was just the n64 of that generation.

*people on Holla Forums can't be shitting mario 64, right?

How can anyone not like super mario 64? Feels like some of these people are too mature to enjoy a good family friendly platformer.

If a game's primitive it was obviously a tech demo, completely ignore that it was advanced as hell for the time and literally every 3D game that came after it takes some cue or other from it.

There are faggots even going as far as saying that it was the best 6th gen console which is just ridiculous.

Dreamcast literally is the best and last good console ever made.
Try and prove me wrong! Protip, you can't.

There's barely any 3D platformers that match the quick movement, great level design, and hidden secrets that 64 perfects on its first iteration, and most of the ones that can match it are other 3D Mario games. Odyssey might top it as the best overall, but 64 is still a fantastic game

Fuck off drone.
Kill yourself.

What was so great about it?

Mario 64 has drones? What the fuck are you on about?

It was the first game he ever played.

I'm sorry, but the Dreamcast is actually as underrated or evem more so than than however much overrated you think. It even had Holla Forums's coveted good "muh exclusives", and really good online. On every technical merit it was the superior machine until the Xbox.

What's it like being so wrong? I'm guessing it hurts your derriere immensly.

not him but it lets you use you move around and rewards you for doing so, yet its not huge, its the middle ground where movement will be rewarding but not tedious and the only other 3d platformer I have played that felt like that were crash bandicoot games, but those are a very different type of game to the point I am not sure I would call them a 3d platformer

The absence of level design that makes you think "just what were they going for in this level, why is it so frustrating, why did they do this" usually implies youre having fun with the levels and the level design isnt a problem.
I can think of some mechanics in sm64 that werent that fun, such as poles and the majority of hazards on tick tock clock and rainbow ride, but those are the final levels and theyre supposed to have tricky platforming.
I think you're just playing devil's advocate here.

Who cares about the technical aspects when it didn't have that many good games and most of the good ones got ported to other things? The Master System was technologically superior to the NES but had barely any good titles to take advantage of it.
good games > good hardware

Are you even of legal age?

he probably didnt experience it AND is of legal age, we are old now

Compared to the PS2/GC it sure as hell didn't and most of the good ones either got ported to other platforms or were 3rd party titles like Rayman 2

that would be PS2. better graphics, more games, better games, better controller.
but why dont you start with telling me why you think that about the dreamcast? most people i knew at the time only had that shitty sonic game that was hyped at the time but aged like milk. what else did it have?

the small interesting levels were packed with many things to do and many ways to go about them. the most simple level, bombomb battlefield had a mountain and there were 5 ways to get up the mountain which is more times than they require of the player. watch video related he does a nice in-depth review.

its a good console that was overlooked by the vast majority of people. but on Holla Forums it got too much hype for what it has to offer.

Oh yeah forgot about Sonic Adventure which is utter crap compared to Mario 64, an older game for weaker hardware.

lol it doesn't even have a physics engine, stop thinking like modern games are the template for cycle dependent systems you fucking retard

yes

As someone who is doing a 120 star run. Yes, I still find it fun today. The only parts I don't really like are the 100 coin missions.

Good luck. I've never done a 120 star run.

I'll never understand why this guy talks like a Nigger even though he's white as fuck.

What is Shenmue 1 and 2, house of the dead 2, power stones, all the arcade and fighting games?
What is PSO, JSR and Chu Chu rockets?
What is online gameplay, downloadable content and VMU that acted as a mini handheld device?
Again, it's okay if you're underaged, junior, just don't run your mouth off like you own the place, you might end up getting your ass handed to you just like now.
just saying.

With Crash's on-rails gameplay it's really more akin to 2.5D with a bit extra freedom-of-movement, if that makes any sense.

Probably has a brain problem, or like me he spent his childhood imitating an accent and then he slowly and subtly talked like that normally without him even knowing. To this day people think I'm from Texas because I deliberately played up a Texas drawl.

nigger, did you even read the manual? this game has an extremely complicated physics engine.

power stone was fun. but is that really all you can name? thats like 10 games. i can name more games for the n64 and that game's library was sad.
dreamcast came out while i was in highschool.

he talks with a fake brooklyn/nyc accent.

Not an exclusice
ported to everything
not exclusive
better on PC
ported to everything
Ported to everything including the GBA and phones
Yeah like the Pocketstation, it sucked
lmao

are you guys fucking retarded? this is the whitest sounding person I have ever heard

He probably thinks that physics engine refers to ragdolls

this is an old video of his. he usually talks more like this.

This guy is a pretty funny case. He used to be fat as a kid and then got fit but as he started to become more. e-famous je really let himself go and is fat as fuck again

I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT

is that and these really the same guy? I can see what you mean in the vids posted but I am like 90% sure these are not the same people

Yes, it's the same guy.

they are. heres 3 more. you can hear him go back and forth because his "italian" self is a character he takes on.

you guys almost had me there

wrong video mate.

they were talking about this guy

CONSOLE WARS

now I feel doubly foolish

user.. Are you retarded?

yes

Reported for being a dumb fucking cuck fresh from 4chan

SAFE SPACE

So anything that's actually good?

Crash Bandicoot looks good because it has a system that loads only what is visible at any time. It's all pre-calculated. However, this method requires the game to be entirely linear. Every level is pretty much a tunnel. Mario 64 is not as dense with detail, but it has large stages that you can explore much more freely and a camera system under your control.

Not saying Crash is bad, or that Mario 64 is perfect, but Mario 64 is clearly superior by far.

>why? i'll tell you why. sonyggers
This is your brain on shitposting

8ch is dead outside of bait threads, deal with it.

Crash is not even a 3D platformer on the same sense as Mario

theyre 2 very good games. crash bandicoot was linear and mario64 was non-linear
mario did it well but theyre 2 very different types of platformers.

i like how when anyone insults nintendo in any thread anywhere, the nintoddler immediate reaction is always "sonygger".

/tg/'s alive and well (by /tg/ standards), same goes for Holla Forums, and honestly I don't really care about many of the other boards because 4chan legacy boards cover a wide range of subjects and there's often a lot of overlap between those subjects. Also Holla Forums and Holla Forums have always been cesspools and probably always will be

I zone out and stop paying attention whenever I see any le ebic insult in the vein of "sonygger" or "nintoddler", typically it's just a buzzword to try and start console wars no matter who's doing it for which system

i just think its very odd how you cant have a conversation that gets critical of nintendo without being called a sonygger. its like if someone starts talking about how violent niggers are and they respond by calling you a chink.

You can be critical of Nintendo, just try writing something that doesn't read like a shitpost or that might offend sensible Nintendo fans.

Spyro 1 > BK > SM64 > Crash 3 > literal garbage > Crash 2 > Spyro 2 > Spyro 3 >>>> Crash 1

Reported for le epic consolewars. MODS DO YOUR FUCKING JOB IN THIS THREAD YOU LAZY FUCKING PRICKS

1 2 G A M E O V E R S

Spyro 3 was the best Spyro imo

Discarded

wrong. i've been called a sonygger for calling out nintendo censorship.

spyro and crash arent the same type of platformer. spyro is more comparable to sm64, but mario is based around movement while spyro is more centered on combat.