I'm looking to scratch a very particular itch...

I'm looking to scratch a very particular itch, I'm currently rewatching Evangelion to finally get an opinion on it and noticed that the "horror" elements really stick out to me while watching. I really enjoy the conspiracy and subtle cosmic horror stuff going in the background, as well as the overall theme of humans trying to control things that they do not understand by technology. I love the angel designs and all other stuff connected to the general weirdness.

Now, I know that there is NGE vidya out there, but I'm not exactly looking to see the same story twice.Although it would be nice to know what games from the franchise are playable I'm looking for games with similar atmosphere of cosmic horror+technology with humans trying to control what they shouldn't. Do you know any games like that Holla Forums?

Doom 3 is basically spot on. I'd suggest you watch the movie Event Horizon if you haven't already.

Man I fucking love Event Horizon. Thank you for reminding me of it.

And you're right, to be honest the entirety of DOOM is kind of like that. With the first two games having those elements but not caring about the story too much. Maybe it would be nice to give later games in the franchise a try too. I know that nuDOOM looks shit, but I can just pirate it

Though those were nice recommendations , do you have something with a cleaner aesthetic to it? Creepy, clean, sterile labs is kind of what I'm looking for, although any other aesthetic with similar theme will do too.

Bloodborne if you haven't already played it would scratch that itch pretty well

Perhaps Alien Isolation will pique your interest? While the alien's presence isn't the humans' fault persay, it does have androids that will stop at nothing to fuck you up while completely ignoring the aliens.
Maybe I am just biased because Alien Isolation is my #1 favorite horror game.
Any of the Space Hulk games may also work for you, but I personally dont suggest playing them because they all suck

Warhammer 40k is a lot of this.

I know about that one too, I played it at my cousin's house. It has bonus points for being Gothic Horror a theme that I absolutely adore but I don't have a PS4 to play it till the end.

I will try all of that.

I'm kind of aware of that but it seems to me that not many of the Warhammer games are really centered around that particular theme going towards more militaristic stuff.

It isn't exactly what you are describing but once I've heard the Marathon series described as the Evangelion of video games, mainly because it goes from typical sci-fi fare to eventually shifting to different timelines to stop a demon god from destroying the universe.

Forgot to add this, but sort of like how Eva goes from typical sci-fi fare to batshit craziness featuring broken teenagers and comatose fapping sessions.

I need to fucking finish that game someday. I really liked it although it isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

the problem with marathon is the only part that is any good is the writing. Evangelion is a success in every field.

Fortunately there were lots of 90s JRPGs which deal with some of the same questions and ideas Eva does. Xenogears, Panzer Dragoon Saga, FF7 even. After Eva a lot of creators in Japan were looking to explore similar themes and ideas.

I think that Nier Automata in the way the events unfold in the game actually captures a similar feeling of evangelion, where you are actively rethinking the way the world all fits together and the story that is being told is having little pieces filled in all over the place. With massive dramatic changes being the main fuel to what gives those pieces of information context, but still created in such a way that it will likely fill you with that same excitement and sense of awe at times.

there is currently a popular song by some faggot "harry styles that clearly rips off the end of eva theme

post it

I'm not really looking for a story similar to EVA as much as I'm looking for a story with horror elements or just a horror story similar to those of EVA. Although I think I should play through Xenogears.

xenogears definitely has moments of horror that are similar. I think it's actually going to be hard to find a game that attempts to capture the similar feel of omnipotent awe that the body horror and psychological horror in eva. Especially because in Eva a lot of the horror is from seeing some things that are truly messed up like the gore - where in games gore is a common thing treated with negligence in Eva they show the gruesome details of bodies being torn apart and don't shy away from the implications of the violence and all their brutal reality.

I mostly mean the cosmic horror stuff and the "humans playing with things that they shouldn't with the use of technology". An user proposed Bloodborne which I think is a fine example.

I actually think there's a lot you'll find to like in nier automata, then. A lot of the game is about how sometimes you're better off just not knowing certain things. Not exactly what you're looking for as you describe it, but I think that feeling will be there.

Can second this recommendation, I loved it a lot.

plus the music helps with some of that feeling of the truth being far greater than what you can comprehend and still call yourself the same after learning it.

Its also like NGE in that the last part is fucking trash, however unlike NGE Marathon never got a not shit ending after the fact.

cosmic horror
Have you ever played any of the Shin Megami Tensei games that are not Persona?
It has some strange angel designs, but most are pretty much what you would expect unfortunately.
There are also some conspiracy like plot elements.
Its best to start with SMT: Strange Journey

I'm currently playing through Nocturne and I am having a lot of fun with it though.

Actually Persona also has those elements too as shown by Persona 3 for example.

It's a difficult itch to scratch on all those points. Nier: Automata will hit a few, Persona will hit others, Bloodborne will complete the rest. But in a single game I'd say you're looking at something like Digital Devil Saga. If it had horror elements, Chrono Cross would be a pretty good fit too.

Wut?!

Oh, Dead Space I guess as well, if you enjoy shit games.

The first Prey too!

Sage for triple-post.

First one was fun

Eh, guess I went into it expecting a horror game.

It had horror elements m8, it wasn't really a horror but for me it kind of watched like a horror but they were still very present.

Some of the stuff there is fairly fucking unnerving.

If you liked Eva for its horror elements then Betterman might be right up your alley, it's an anime rather than a game though.

I'll take it. It's in the same universe as GaoGaiGar isn't it?

Yeah, though the overlap is minimal, it's pretty much just one secondary character and some company names.

Existential dread, you say?

Really, eh, I only remember the mecha fights andaneverything tities everything else was forgettable

It's funny, I have the exact same opinions on Eva and I always wanted something else to scratch that itch. Unfortunately, besides SCP Foundation stuff, I can't think of anything else that does it for me, even though I crave it a lot. The conspiracy, the impossible beings being controlled by tech, etc. There's just not much out there.

That's true it does almost scratch that particular itch, the problem is the amount of topics and genres covered by that particular universe is just far too wide for me. Many of the very interesting beings in that universe stop feeling that interesting when you remember that there is a fuck-ton more powerful or equally powerful ones, not to mention a shit ton of light-hearted stuff that is also present there.

I just want another story about different scientific organizations trying to use eldritch abominations for their own gain while shady conspiracies and politics happen in the background.

Oh shit I've still gotta finish that

Maybe System Shock 1 and 2?

Do it.
It's not anime, but it got cosmic horror done really well.

DOOD does a lot of things wrong, to be more precise it panders to the wrong crowd and the otherwise solid gameplay is bloated with useless shit, but it's much more of a doom game than 3 was. It is worth pirating.