Never played Dishonored. Is it bad/good? In what particular ways? Is the second one better/worse?

Never played Dishonored. Is it bad/good? In what particular ways? Is the second one better/worse?

It's okay.

It's alright. The combat is pretty satisfying. so naturally you're punished for killing people. Not worth more than $5 though. I beat the whole thing in a day. Just pirate it.

It's got a fun sandbox in a neat setting and a lot of polish, but it's short and oh so fucking easy.

It's a 6/10 game that has gotten better with time only because games have become much worse in comparison to it, making it seem better. I genuinely liked the Masquerade Ball, and even the game overall but it's chock full of wasted potential and questionable design decisions.

Worse.

It's frustratingly easy.

It's clearly trying to be thief to some extent, but instead of the depth that thief had the game gives you some seriously broken magic powers with little drawbacks to using them.

You'll get the most out of the game just treating it as a "fuck people up" sandbox. The game does the whole fucking pacifist route meme which I strongly urge you to disregard as you'll have the most fun just killing people without giving a fuck about moral choices.

Just don't expect much, this game suffered hard from "our playtesters were retards so we dumbed everything down".

Pretty much what this user posted. Also as others have said, get it cheap or get it for free.

The second game is garbage. Stay away from it.

It's decent. It would have been a lot better if zenimax had not told bethesda to screw them over.

Ever played Deus Ex HR? The first dishonored was very similar. I don't have much hope for D2 so I never tried it.

It's a shitty stealth-game.

I thought it was kind of mediocre. I have pretty much no feelings whatsoever about it.
It just exists.

Unironically one of my favorite stealth games. Though it is only a stealth game if you play it as one. Avoid killing guards and do not get spotted. Do every side mission and explore a lot. Do your best to have a low chaos. That's how the game becomes god-tier.

Its good. Nothing mind blowing but good. The sequel is a mixed bag for me. Some good powers added in, but the story and lore are pretty bad. Lots of diversity too. Some cool levels though. Jindosh's mansion is a very overlooked stage but it is a pain in the ass so that may be why.

First one is good.

Stay away from the newer ones. They start taking away the mystery and the developers love virtue signalling.

It's not even virtue signalling, it's "if we put niggers, Pajeets, and other shitskins in the game, they might buy it, because white people arent gonna buy our cunty game."

No, it's definitely virtue signalling.

It's more like desperation, because white people dont give a shit about the "Dishonored" franchise.
Shitskins are dishonored by default, so it must appeal to them. 🤡

It's a stealth game that's only kindafun if you don't try to be stealthy.

It's not like Thief, despite what you may have heard.
Dishonored is to Deus Ex as BioShock is to System Shock.
I think it's a decent game.
Dishonored 2 is basically the same game, but with much bigger levels. People here will tell you that it shoves political shit down your throat, but that's not true.

It's only frustratingly easy if you kill everybody. If you try to run stealth/no kill it can be just plain frustrating.

It's not a stealth game.

I did a 0 kill nonlethal run, and it's still easy as heck. Sleeper darts KO instantly, choking people out is quick, you have teleport and time stop, and the amount of unmolested space you have to move around in makes the vents in Human Revolution look like mouseholes.

Which is ironic considering Dishonored's version of vents are literal mouseholes.

Your right. It's an action game with stealth elements. There was a thread a while ago that talked about this. Most modern stealth games are "predatory" rather than "pure". In a predatory stealth game you play a capable fighter who sneaks around out of convenience rather than out of obligation. In a pure stealth game you play a weak motherfucker who dies 30 seconds or less into any combat situation you don't run away from, so you have to sneak around.
The lead developer of Deus Ex talked about how he went and played Theif: The Dark Project while it was in development and after dying in combat he said "you guys need to raise the player's health". The devs said "no", citing that they want the player to sneak their way through the game, not fight their way through the game, and keeping the player health low was how they do this.

Sleep darts are rare and valuable and teleport doesn't help much when there are 4 enemies all facing each other, unless you are just going to give up on looting the place. Time stop is powerful, but you probably won't get it until late and if you are like me you will hardly ever use it because of the cost and risking not having mana when you really need it later.

There's no such thing as a "predatory stealth" game. Just action games with optional sneaking, like you mentioned.
I remember that, actually. I think Spector mentioned it a couple times, because I remember reading that in an interview and seeing him talk about it in some kind of Deus Ex retrospective video.

It's a real shame that pure stealth games don't get made by the AAAs anymore. Even the most recent Splinter Cell (which was never an amazing series imho but did handle the fragility of being a man in a sneaking suit well) had a bunch of "predator" style options so that players could just watch sick takedowns instead of actually worrying about getting caught.

I've only found pure stealth with smaller titles. I played Shadwen and even though it had its flaws it was an automatic game over if you get caught. Also, Styx on the hardest difficulty reminded me of Thief and I wonder if the sequel is similar.

It's great. But if you really like hardcore stealth games, it's kinda shit. It's a game that let's you choose between thief-lite or fancy-murder-simulator. Thief-lite, because the stealth aspect is not very polished, and murder-simulator b/c you are an unstoppable, relentless, mine/grenade/rat-swarm/explosive-dart spraying god of death.

TL;DR: Great game, but has serious flaws in the stealth department. Completely worth your time even with the flaws
Pic. Greatest game ever, if judging by the cover

I thought Blacklist was a mediocre stealth game, but a stealth game nonetheless, if–and only if–you played it on the highest difficulty. Same goes for Thi4f; it wasn't a good Thief game, but on its highest difficulty (and with some of the hand-holding features turned off), it was at least a stealth game.

Also, this
is not how you do stealth right.

All I remember is I beat it full nonlethal with basically no problem and you need to get good.

It worked Shadwen since you could just rewind time though. The point is that it didn't let you do combat with enemies other than backstabbing or traps.

There is never a time you'll really need it later, if you're a perfectionist you'll just reload the level if you're spotted even once so mana reserves means jack shit. The only time I ever was tempted on using the power to teleport was due to a buggy ledge once.

It's kinda boring. The gameplay is nothing special and the world isn't that rich, it feels like a game that would be pretty decent if more care and polish was put into it. Most of the time your mission is to go from point A to point B to kill some dude or steal some item and often there seems to be only one way to achieve the goal. I don't regret playing it, but there are better games to play.

Good.
Worldbuilding and atmosphere are really good. Also the powers you get are really unusual and fun to goof around with. The game is basically teases you to do 2 playthoughs - good one and 'kill everyone' one.
DII feels like a DLC for the first game - basically the same premise and levels taste kinda samey, but you get the second character and couple of new powers. Story is bad. Game runs like shit on PC, optimization is just plain awful.

Dishonored 1 is basically a whole lot of good shit put together in a wholly unsatisfying way.

Maybe you weren't paying much attention, because that is never the case, at least when it comes to dealing with your targets.

I wish. Dishonored 2 retconned him into a regular guy who somehow became the Outsider by being sacrificed.

The only memorable thing i remember from this game is how the story adapts to how many people you killed or if you have gone full non-lethal.

It's a wannabe action/stealth hybrid that does neither aspect well.

Combat is shit with virtually zero challenge. Without powers, you basically swing your blade around a lot and occasionally shoot bolts and throw grenades. Dishonored 2 tried to fix this somewhat by giving you some more options when not using powers, but it didn't go far enough.

Stealth is a crapshoot, sometimes enemies are utterly retarded, other times they can spot you through a fucking wall, regardless of what difficulty you're playing on. With powers it's even easier and the DLC made the whole thing a cakewalk with chokedust and stun mines.

Story was written by a five-year old who had only just been exposed to the existence of political conspiracies, which is a shame because some of the world-building is nice. The morality system is retarded and most of your so-called "choices" really just boil down to "kill them or do this long, convoluted task to dispose of them another way".

Ultimately, blame Bethesda. Arkane's original concept art shows that they were going to throw in a whole bunch of cool shit that got cut out because the former are a bunch of greedy kikes.

Personally, I hope to high heaven that Jewesda goes bankrupt and Arkane is finally freed from their grasp and makes Arx Fatalis 2 or something else awesome like The Crossing. Problem is, they might already be too pozzed at that point.

This was not my experience at all. But the real secret is to just stay above NPCs; they never look up unless you do something overt.