Games which do one thing really well which practically no other game (in its genre) does

Did you ever feel like it's such a shame that this one thing this one game did was so perfectly implemented yet was never done in any other game (in its genre) even though it should have become an industry standard? If so, tell us about it.

The AI of the Descent games provide a very interesting RNG factor to first-person shooters which you see nowhere else. Enemies in Descent are placed by hand in the levels and will guard their assigned station, but some of the enemies might decide to just go around the level and do their own thing at complete random, which is more likely to happen the longer you are playing the level, so you want to go clear the levels faster before the enemies move from their positions you have memorized and throw a wrench in your plans.

Sometimes enemies might start roaming the level and get you from behind, or move towards positions you normally wouldn't expect which gets you damaged. You may have remembered that the next room contains 2 medium hulks, a super hulk and a spiderbot. From the entrance to that room you clear out the hulks, but the spiderbot is nowhere to be seen as opposed to the previous level attempts where you had killed the spiderbot alongside the hulks. There's only one open passageway going upwards from the room, so that could mean only one thing…

Most discussion pertaining AI in first-person shooters usually revolves around enemies being able to behave like the player and trying to actually dodge and lead their shots (which the enemies in Descent and Descent 2 are more than capable of doing), but rarely do we have an enemy AI trying to attack you when you're off-guard. Descent doesn't really try to do that on purpose, but with random roaming behavior such situations can be played out.

I should also mention it is usually the good kind of RNG. After having memorized the enemy layout you know WHAT you have to face and probably HOW, but the unpredictability of the AI can mess up that HOW part and have you improvise on the spot. Unless it's a fucking Class 1 Driller or Red Hulk, you can often respond appropriately to stragglers without taking damage if you take in account that they're roaming about. With other old-school shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem there's not many situations to improvise in which you didn't arrive in by your own mistakes. Enemy encounters and set-ups would largely be static across each attempt. But in Descent enemy encounters can keep you on your toes even if you've played through the levels over a 100 times. It's not simply pure memorization. Platformers replicate this with randomly spawning zakos, but I wish we saw more RNG in first-person shooters (in terms of enemy decision making and placement, not stat numbers).

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Boy do I have one such game.

enemies in Sil do cool stuff, like other roguelikes dont i think.

example.
a pack of orcs chase me, i go to the narrow corridor, they dont follow me in, knowing ill slaughter them one by one, instead, when i regenerate, they split, other party starts going into the corridor im in from the other side. they attacked me from both sides.

I still never grasped this part of the game as a kid when playing it for weeks. Loved the rush you get from blowing up a generator and having to book it the fuck out of there before it blows up.

There still isn't a game that does summoner armies like this.

You can mod the shit out of Morrowind, but I fully agree, Necromancer is the best class to have fun with. Fuck the meta.

yeah, that is actually worth looking into.

"summoning" in general is one of thee most underrated mechanics in any video game. Its hard to find good summoning games that aren't shit like final fantasy tier.

what would be the game that does survival best?

Far Cry 2

I would have guessed MGS 3 but i haven't played either.

Metal Gear Solid sucks, dont bother.

Why is the west and east so fucking lazy?!

Void Destroyer, my man.

This.

having a HUGE SKELETON ARMY isn't always fun

Isnt that more like battlezone in space? But I guess beggars cant be choosers

Chaos Legion did pretty good

Path of Exile allows for a lot of zombies and skeletons. Zombies+Specters+Golem+SRS/Skeletons/animate weapon should get close to Diablo 2 summoner.
Problem is SRS or Animate weapon alone should be better than regular zoo of minions.

This is why I both love and hate SRS in PoE. You have regular spell that benefits from minion passives. Problem is it means you now don't care about zombies at this point and waste rest of your equipment slots for auras or other shit. Especially now when Commander of Darkness is overpowered and you really prefer just taking support role.
You both do shit as summoner instead of standing in one place and are not summoner.

My fuckin' nigga. I'll post my links for everyone.

mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78 Descent 1 with DXRebirth
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o Descent 2 with DXRebirth

Badlur's Gate (not the remaster) lets you do that, it's not wise back then cause of your old ass toaster at the time but you can do it.

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a neat camo system, it's pretty bad under close scrutiny only because the enemies are about 20-40 feet away from you. If I were to use a camo system though since it'd be great for manipulating NPC behavior.

I played this game for a bit because I saw Bungee's name on it.I'll agree that the combat is awesome, but too bad the game is shit.

Of course it is. Being able to teleport and stack your summons is insanely fun and powerful, and with Amp Damage taking up two entire screens, and CE insta-killing everything on-screen, summon necromancer ends up being the strongest Area MFer, since you can easily break 300MF without sacrificing your 125FCR with insane clear speed and safety.

Dungeon Keeper 2 did being evil and building a dungeon strategically better than anything else. Evil Genius is good, but it's just not the same.

Meatbag detected.