F.E.A.R

Just started playing this on PC yesterday. I'll jot down my review so far here.

environments are dark, dingy and spooky

Now here's some issues I came across while playing.

shoulda shot him in the head then dude

Anyone have a link to a torrent for it? I've checked like 5 sites and no one has one for the first game.

I've noticed that the shotgun pellet spread is incredibly unpredictable. I'll aim at a faggot's head but most of the pellets go into his neck and torso.
Also, the enemies can still come at you and fill you with lead even if you can land a direct headshot with the HV Penetrator. A fucking rod of metal embedded in their skull.

It's not much of a horror game, but the melee and gunplay is topnotch.

Of course, since the damage is calculated from hitzones, arm shots won't do much. It's not trying to be realistic it's just punishing poor aim.

Iirc Perseus Mandate had some better horror sections. Real trippy, too.

Why even live? I live to code the next FEAR.

Are there any total conversion mods for fear? Its kind of wierd I havent seen any.

Obligatory

F.E.A.R. combat was my jam back in the day. There are still player-run servers around somewhere, but I haven't gotten back into it.

Heh. Most of FEAR's weapons don't even have animations, and coming from someone who has a lot of fucking guns and doesn't go two weeks without shooting them, they handle like shit.

That's the good thing about it. There is no reasons to have violins and shit, just looking back to see Alma for half second, trying to look what the fuck is she doing, but she has already vanished properly adds tension and is very in context narrative.

The PC realize being stalked by a supernatural spooky girl and spooky shit is happening. She doesn't come with John Williams Symphonic Orchestra, there is no real explanation to the spooky shit, your handlers and whatnot don't actually see the spooky shit happening, only the PC and the few time they do they choose to ignore it and tell the PC to focus and stay on mission (which is what the PC does and it's gonna backfire).

Realism != Good Shooter.

If that was the case Duke Nukem, DOOM, BLOOD, Serious Sam, would all be shit games.

No no no, I'm not asking for violins and shit, which would actually be a LOT fucking worse.
I meant in the very first chapter of the game, you're getting overwhelmed with a bunch of gore and shit without even letting you get half your bearings after the spooky intro cutscene.

Are you unironically trying to argue against good animations and sound effects? What the fuck?

Kind of.
Battefield and Call of Duty have nice gun sounds and animations, is that really what we want out of a shooter.

I mean having guns that feel impactful and have "realistic" aspects to them is nice, but if it trumps over the gameplay its pointless.

it's the particle effects, enemy screams and ragdoll physics that make them good
stop

just don't bother with FEAR 2 or 3. they are both complete shit.

Literally an emotional "Coddlefield does X, and Coddlefield is popular, therefore X is bad".
What in the absolute fuck? Why would hiring more competent artists degrade the gameplay in any way?

Shooting airshit-tier weapons and having above-average damage responses from enemies and a good soundscape doesn't make the weapons any less airshit-tier. Those are three separate factors.

Also, anyone with 100 hours in paint can make a check'em using the second pic?

How did I never notice that? wtf monolith

FLASHLIGHT!

I don't know, but once you notice it, you can't un-notice it.

Because then the game becomes "MUH GRAPHICS" and they just throw the gameplay out the window.
Also I wasn't making the implication that having realistic gun play was bad, I merely gave an example as to why if that is the primary focus the games fall shot i.e. Cawwadooty and Beetlefeld

Willing to hear about your games with fantastic-feeling guns, if FEAR is shit compared to them.

Okay, so we've confirmed that you're retarded. This will be your last (You).

So the machine-gun is only capable of firing in bursts?

There are mods that do this.

It's probably already been said in this thread, but use the shotgun and slow mo, alot, the game is much more fun that way

>Most of FEAR's weapons don't even have animations
Confirmed for having no idea what they are talking about.
All of the weapons have animations, they even each have a unique fidget animation that's played if you stay idle for a few seconds, just the animations range from alright to garbage. (with the shotgun's reload being the worst)
I'll agree the animations are lacking when it comes to the weapons, but everything else about them is good

HE'S TRYIN TO FLANK

CONTACT SPOTTED

SHUT THE FUCK UP

TAKE COVER
WHICH DIRECTION!?

NEED REINFORCEMENTS

FLANK HIM

HE'S
TOOO
FFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSTT

this shit took me 1 whole day

REEECOOOOOOOON

This user is playing with EAX on, probably emulated via ALchemy, very nice. I think you might want to check your ALchemy setting though, and lower the duration to 10ms (the minimum) as this will reduce the audio delay for it. Delay can further be reduced with fewer buffers (delay is buffers * duration) but it might start causing audio problems if your CPU can't keep up. Worth experimenting with.

too lewd

I found it annoying that they dodged every grenade even when they did not know that I was there or threw it behind them. Thank god for slowmo and firing the grenades out of the air. The second one allowing to hold the grenade to shorten fuse delay helps nicely, but would have preferred shootable grenades.

The horror parts of FEAR ruin it. I was expecting the best shootout or a final boss by the end of the game and got a shitty one hit KO segment vs zombies.

How far is the project?

CAN YOU SEE HIM?
SHUT U-AAAAAAAAARG!!!
I NEED HELP!
I want a new FEAR game where you are part of a squad of clones and do evil clone shit, then get separated from your squad and get to experience the horror of FEAR.

This tbh. While the horror was fine, the floating two hit kill demons are just bland and add nothing to the game. Sure, you are afraid of them, but not because they are spooky, rather because you have to do the parts with them so often, because you die so easily. It has nothing to do with horror, but more with frustration. Some sort of big battle with some sort of demon that possessed the girl, spawning in some sort of dead constructions you have to take out, using slowmo to hit certain zones and get grenades into cracks etc. The end has a lot of potential, and while it wasn't terrible, it certainly could have been better.

GOOD fuckin taste my man.

Now THIS is what I call autism.

Sup faggot, suck dick much?

GUN CONTROL LIBTARD SIGHTED

Dipshit with a lack of reading comprehension detected.

What the fuck are you on about?

Some newfriend that does not know what green text is.

That Fear 2 gun is complete garbage. Both from a realism standpoint (look at that absurd spread and how far just one shot punches the gun back in the user's hands) and from a gameplay standpoint (absurd spread).

That webm is cut from a youtube video called "Fear is ridiculous". The channel is pretty cool, there's also a Dark Messiah video among other things.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

F.E.A.R. is great. It's endlessly fun to just kill and destroy shit in all manner of stupid ways.

Lift moar, faggot.

If you can't do it in one try on max difficulty you're terrible.

Pick two

This game is a generic piece of shit shooter with a "oooh spooky" theme that isn't even scary. 3/10.

I didn't know this. Thanks.

Niggers.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:9fbb6aa9c23c557e75d1a034f79cc5eea8c29709
Includes F.E.A.R., Extraction Point, Perseus Mandate, F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin, F.E.A.R. 2 Reborn and F.E.A.R. 3.

Though EP and PM are non-canon, they're still better than 2 and 3, and even then, a lot of the stuff covered in the expansions isn't outright impossible to of occured in 2 and 3.
Also, 2 was meant to be a different game and the F.E.A.R. label was only attached to it near the end of development. Don't expect the same shit, as it was also consolised.

Lots of tweaking mods and extra levels, but no true full conversions. There is F.E.A.R. Resurrection, though I don't recall how many levels are actually released yet.

Something I waited for in FEAR never came. I was expecting one location, where you'd have a bad position and have to sneak around the area unnoticed because enemies are too strong, silently. But then at one point BOOO, Alma spook scare out of fucking nowhere, something that will make you pull the trigger as a gut reaction, letting the enemy know you're here and where you are, leaving you into a hectic firefight where you're completely unprepared.

That wouldve been amazing.

That wouldve been shit

No, you misunderstand, I mean an implied stealth section which is abruptly cut off.

Get to work nigger. I wanna play that shit before im 40.

My bad, I thought you implied a forced stealth section with an alma appearance at the end.

Oh my fucking god, its a pun about how he said fucking guns. As in, literal 'fucking' guns. Calm down jimbo

You're right, but this thread is for talking about FEAR, not STALKER.