Daily News Thread 2/1

Trump’s top trade adviser accuses Germany of currency exploitation

Berlin is using a ‘grossly undervalued’ euro to gain advantage over trading partners, says Navarro
ft.com/content/57f104d2-e742-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

Threat of global trade war rises as Japan joins Germany in condemnation of Donald Trump

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told parliament that it’s inaccurate to say that Japan is devaluing the yen, and that he would explain monetary policy to Trump if necessary
independent.co.uk/news/business/news/japan-germany-donald-trump-trade-war-threats-currency-exploitation-a7557451.html

Republicans move to sell off 3.3m acres of national land, sparking rallies

Land totaling the size of Connecticut has been targeted in a new bill in the Republican House, uniting hunters and conservationists in opposition
theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/31/public-lands-sell-congress-bureau-management-chaffetz

Trump picks Neil Gorsuch for U.S. Supreme Court

The 49-year-old Gorsuch, who currently serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, is a self-professed admirer of the late Antonin Scalia, the conservative Supreme Court justice he would replace.
news.vice.com/story/trump-nominates-neil-gorsuch-to-the-u-s-supreme-court

Bomb threats again rattle Jewish centers

Another wave of bomb threats swept through Jewish community centers across the nation Tuesday. Centers from Albany, N.Y., to Boulder, Colo., to White Fish Bay, Wis., to La Jolla, Calif., were among those evacuated. Fourteen centers in 10 states plus a Canadian province received threats, according to the JCC Association of North America.
usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/01/31/bomb-threats-again-rattle-jewish-centers/97289048/

Duterte’s war on drugs has created “an economy of murder” in the Philippines, says Amnesty International

According to an officer who spoke to the rights group, police are paid $160 to $300 extra in cash—secretly, back at headquarters—for each extrajudicial execution disguised as a legitimate operation.
qz.com/900039/dutertes-war-on-drugs-has-created-an-economy-of-murder-in-the-philippines-says-amnesty-international/

OP/EDs

The mass protests against Trump and the role of the Democratic Party

There is a vast gulf separating the humane and democratic sentiments animating the protests and the fundamentally reactionary aims underlying the Democratic Party’s response to the Trump administration.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/02/01/pers-f01.html

Is America Prepared for Meme Warfare?

Memes, as any alt-right Pepe sorcerer will tell you, are not just frivolous entertainment. They are magic, the stuff by which reality is made and manipulated. What's perhaps surprising is that this view is not so far off from one within the US defense establishment, where a growing body of research explores how memes can be used to win wars.
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/meme-warfare

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down

Psychologist Michal Kosinski developed a method to analyze people in minute detail based on their Facebook activity. Did a similar tool help propel Donald Trump to victory? Two reporters from Zurich-based Das Magazin went data-gathering.
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/how-our-likes-helped-trump-win

Corporate America Is Inching Even Closer to a Constitutional Convention

In statehouses across the country, ALEC-backed legislators are pushing for a balanced-budget amendment, a repeal of the federal income tax and more.
alternet.org/right-wing/corporate-america-inching-even-closer-constitutional-convention

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-steve-bannon-china-south-sea-war-chinese-us-president-special-counsellor-a7556546.html
businessinsider.com/trump-enrique-pena-nieto-mexico-phone-call-humiliating-threatening-2017-2
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/china-steps-up-military-cooperation-with-assad-as-top-admiral-vi/
keloland.com/news/article/politics/south-dakota-senate-approves-bill-to-repeal-im-22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Undervalued
Undervalued
Undervalued
All your currencies at undervalued
And the people were astonished at his doctrine.

They aren't wrong on that Germany thing. Germany fourth Reich (the EU) needs to be destroyed in order to encourage multipolarity.

Not yet, but there is a leader who can guide us.

Actually true. Good that someone there was willing to say it, though I don't expect them to pursue it. Ignoring the Germans and going after the Chinese seems to be par the course.

Savage japs

War with Iran soon

holy kek these idiots are really going to accidentally break capitalism

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-steve-bannon-china-south-sea-war-chinese-us-president-special-counsellor-a7556546.html

and when this idiot Bannon says "it's likely" it means "we are going to start it, I want it to happen". Never mind that PRC war doctrine here basically amounts to "nuke LA".

Plus comments today on Iran
2017 is gonna be escalation
2018 is war

lel

which by default means war with russia and syria unless the astana rumors are rue

i have no idea what this is

The Russians may have thrown the Iranians under the bus
Right now there's a peace conference going on in Astana over Syria to decide the form/constitution of a new government. The Iranians want Syria to remain a whole nation with Assad in charge
Supposedly, the Russians agreed to let Syria break up as long as they get their naval base rights secured along with an Alawite state on the coast. They also may have given their blessing for the FSA leader the Turks want to be the new leader of Syria

In short, the Russians may be selling the Iranians down the river in favor of bringing Turkey in their sphere of control

So this picture is going to stop being ameme? That's terrifying.

Well, Russia has no real reason to care about Iran as an ally if the Trump admin is going to be favorable to them. The only reason they were even aligned with Iran was having a common enemy in the US, no?

Iran hasn't invested as much in the war as the ruskies and as a world power it's understandable they would have more geopolitical influence over such a treaty than Iran

This is nothing new, in fact it's been exposed ever since the € was created, but that's a bit before i developed political awareness, however i remember it from one of the first articles by a communist newspaper on the topic. I could probably look it up but fuck, i can't be bothered.

Genuine Antiimperialists never said that Trump would be any better in regards of imperialist policies and his warmongering.
In fact, i pointed repeatedly out that Trump is, on a superficial level, shifting the focus of aggrassion apparently more towards China and Iran, and that's the only difference to Clinton. And i'm not giving much on his "moderation" and fake protectionism in regards to Russia and Syria. Not only do i not think that he's being a relief for those two, i had a feeling that his retarded talk about "taking the oil from Iraq" could actually translate into future policies.

I was thinking of various self-proclaimed Anti-Imperialist Russiaboo blogs over the internet who were all in for Trump, not genuine Communists.

Pretty much
Iran is officially unaligned, they don't have any official ties to the Sino-Russian bloc

I'm actually curious on this, the Iranians have been in Syria supporting Assad for far longer than Russia hasin terms of the immediate conflict It wouldn't shock me to learn that Iran has spent a lot more than the world thinks on supporting Assad, since historically Syria has been the only ally for the Islamic Republic

Would China attempt to invade the US first if rused enough?

Not really news but Pepe made the cover of Jacobin…

Don't have the logistical ability
China would have a hard time invading Taiwan

At best, the Chinese would fight a defensive naval war in the Sea of Japan and South China Sea

neither side would invade in a war,it would all be air strikes and nukes.Bombing of civilian and industry centres to cripple the other side economically rather than invading

Datz ZOG Occupied Governmentgin orky

Well that sucks. Have they made the mistake of fucking around during boom years?

Is the US actually going to have any friends left if they go out of their way to start throwing nukes around?

Not at all, they've gone from being a nation without a navy to a legitimate naval military threat to the US
They'd likely lose to the US in a naval war, but the US is going to pay a very high price to do so and would cripple the US ability to be globally present. Thats the real issue with a Chinese war for America. You either commit 100% and win, but at the same time lose control elsewhere, or you partially commit and fight a much longer, much bloodier conflict

This would imply the US actually has friends to begin with

the point where nukes are used nothing matters anymore because we all dead.nukes work as a last of last resorts to scare anybody from fucking with you,the moment they are really used by 1 player in the game everybody may as well go all out

Well, there are plenty of toady politicians around the world. I imagine if they went in with the US they'd have civil unrest on their hands by the next day though.

I'm not even sure if I believe this anymore. At the height of the cold war sure but now I think that things like ICBMs are much more predictable and able to be intercepted.

there is more than just ICBMs ,we have cruisers that carry missiles,subs,bombers,fuck it isn't going to be too long until we have satellite that drop projectiles from space if they don't exist already

businessinsider.com/trump-enrique-pena-nieto-mexico-phone-call-humiliating-threatening-2017-2

I just remembered that China was planning to step up their support for Syria.

Was getting caught up in the conflict part of their plan?

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/18/china-steps-up-military-cooperation-with-assad-as-top-admiral-vi/

They're a big country.

Pretty sure Reagan got his ass chewed out for attempting this. Tungsten rods in satellites tends to piss off everyone under its orbit. Subs are probably the most serious of the lot.

L E G A L I Z E

He'll devalue the dollar if that fails to work. That is the policy of the eternal burger

For Syria.

Arigatou OP-sama~

It's also cost-inefficient

None of them are even capable of having our back in a major conflict. Even in a conventional war, the most powerful euro states, France and the UK are estimated to be crippled militarily after a single engagement with a comparable foe

Turst me,the UK government will brown nose the yanks til the day our nation floats off on our own smugness.In fact after May went to meet Trump the other day right wingers have said "the special relationship" more than you can even imagine

I think pretty much the only thing guaranteed that will get the Brits tearing shit up is the threat of nuclear war.
God not this rehashed plotline we all know how it ends.

What countries has the Trump administration not accused of currency exploitation at this point?

US Ag embargo here we come.

fuck, how is corbyn not taking more advantage of this situation. he needs to be louder and angrier 24/7 tbh

There is no way this can end badly.

With Russia gone as an ally, aren't the Iranians royally fucked? Pretty much everbody hates them including Saudi-Arabia and Israel who want to nuke them. And now Trump fucks them over as well out of sheer contrarianism towards the Obama administration.

Sucks tbh, I always liked the Persian people and they never fought a war of aggression.

Thinking about it, if Russia really wants to buddy up with the US under Trump it might bite them back once Trump is out of office, all the middle powers like Iran won't trust them again.

Fuck knows, he needs to be more aggressive.

I really haven't seen any evidence of them fucking over Iran. From what I can gather they want Syria to remain whole that means they don't want Kurdistan to gain independence because the Kurds have claims on loads of their territory if that happens. I think Russia is just fucking Iran over on their preferred peace deal, and completely throwing them under the bus seems to be a meme which came from rumors of Assad's death.

Someone said before Trump wanted this but Putin was too smart to fall for it for the exact reasons you state.

he plays too nice.Although in PMQs before May went to Washington he did call out the Tories about making sure Brexit didn't make us into a tax haven and other shit then no doubt want

huh, just me realize that the image of "Trump Pepe" really fits more with the dolan meme

He's pretty good in PMQs but our media are cunts. Small wonder he doesn't bother attacking in the media.

fucking tell me about it,PMQs is on iplayer for a year but nobody watches it and just want the yeering and soundbites.I fucking hate it when they jeer and laugh at legitimate questions and points,it really fucking pisses me off

yeah but most of that is playing too nice honestly, Trump showed you can be trashed in the media 24/7 and still come out ahead

Yeah I think Trump's rise is what has pushed him towards being rebranded as populist. He has absolutely no media representation even compared to Trump though.

Trump had a sizeable following and a rather 'outspoken' one at that.Corbyn doesn't market himself as well as Trump did and although he does have a cult following among young voters,most of whom never seem to fucking turn out,people don't want the set establishment to change.I mean you can look at the fact republicanism,as in abolition of the monarchy, is considered almost fringe as a fact that people just don't want change, or how they flipped out when Corbyn wouldn't sing god save the queen

This is a media meme, likely peddled because the media have no sway with them and don't want politicians to pander to the youth vote.

Doesn't Brexit undercut the whole "people don't want change" narrative? Or is that actually against change since they see the EU as an instrument of "changing their culture by helping immigration"?

I'm just going back and forth on this since so many pundits keep insisting that the pattern of right-wing populism in the west indicates the people want change in general and are rejecting the (neoliberal/golabalist/insert boogieman that isn't capitalism) order

Yeah it clearly isn't easy for him or a 1:1 analogy but I just have trouble believing there aren't any useful lessons from the Trump victory for how an "unpopular in the media" candidate can run the narrative

right wing populism is a change in so much as it's about going back to 'the good 'ol days' but that isn't an actual change,its just a shakeup to a previous establishment

America's arrogance has become unreal. I don't think anyone understands what a war with China would entail. They just think– well sink their boats and they'll surrender and things will continue like they did in the 20th century. And the UN, who stupidly thought America would never elect a Trump, gave the U.S. cause for war (on behest of ASEAN) and removed any route to peace.

fair point, didn't think of it that way

damn I just want to see some left populism win out for once, wish there was hope somewhere

I think it will start to pay dividends for him after a bit. They've thrown every bit of shit at him they could over the leadership elections and they have absolutely nothing left at this point. If there's a single braincell left in the collective mind of the UK they'll realise just how fucking biased and out to get him the establishment are when they carry it on.

sorry mate,but we burnt out the last one when UKIP when off the deep end with the Brexit campaign and people actually bought their outright lies and anybody who called that out was screamed at for 'scaremongering'

Wew lad, don't you mean the ruling party.
Although I remember voteleave heavily implying that Turkey and Syria would be joining the EU, can't remember if they were Tory or UKIP though.
And Theresa May started one of the most damaging lies about the EU years ago, the one about the terrorist who didn't get deported because of his cat.

that shit and stuff like " THE EU WON'T LET US HAVE BENT BANANAS !!!!!1one!!!!"

So he is basically saying that we need to remove democracy in economic matters before there are too many minorities that understand to vote their self interest.

They are one state away from the 34 needed for the consititutional convention, but they still would need 38 states to ratify it. No way that happens, the American masses seem to have decucked themselves after swooning at Obama for 8 years. If all else fails direct action would stop this

Yeah those are the two biggest. Can't remember which retard started that one. Brits are cucked in the brain. At least Cameron, Boris and May are having their careers ruined over their cunty moves over the years.

Quite happy a lot of the Brits are going to get thrown into economic hardship too tbh. Wouldn't even care if they didn't vote Corbyn in 2020 at this point, they can make their bed and lie in it until the end of time, I'll just harvest their salty tears online.

NO WAR BUT THE CLASS WAR!!!

Stop using anime to make these threads please, that's our thing

It's seriously getting so bad that I almost can't use the internet anymore. You can't swing a sock around without hitting 12 memelords, 9 forced memes, 5 normalfag image macros, 3 e-celebs, and a fucking partridge in a pear tree. And yet people eat this shit up. Why? I don't understand.
Maybe I can't. So many memes nowadays feel like lowest common denominator bullshit. If I chuckle at it once, then it's plastered everywhere for a fucking year while the hyenas cackle at each poorly thought out derivation.
At least Baneposting will never get old.

For you.

but if they don't vote Corbyn 2020 how is May "having her career ruined"?

you know we don't even have an economic plan for what to do out of the EU yet.We are a nation of importers with little to no industry,thanks Thatcher, and so far no economic deals.To say "we're fucked" is putting it lightly.The plummet of the pound was rebutted by some with "well now we can export things cheaper" totally ignoring the inflation on all the goods we import now….Honestly I would have almost cheered at the acceleration if it wasn't so fucking obvious I'm in a nation of Lumpenproletariat

Depends if she runs for election, she may just want a bottle of whiskey and a revolver.

We're 7 years into the Long Term Economic Plan, it will start paying serious dividends soon. That's why we're the best in the world, we play the long game.

she wont even call an election now because she knows people wouldn't vote for her

isn't she massively ahead in the polls

and yeah yeah i know "lmfao polls" but the US polls weren't THAT far off

But mostly I think Corbyn will win in 2020. I just can't see anywhere for the Tories to go after getting the leave result on the referendum. Her career being ruined obviously depends on her not running or losing to Corbyn, but if she beats Corbyn after whatever economic shitstorm happens I think Britain will just be confirmed for too smart to act rationally.

I think it was her best bet but she missed her opportunity to call one before 2020. She had to do it early after becoming PM, but fucked around too long, probably out of panic and being overwhelmed. But it would only have gained her a year on Corbyn.

Corbyn was catching up on her until the chicken coup, fucking Blairites.

Blairites need to be purged asap,they are hampering Corbyn at every turn because they don't like him

Can someone redpill me on the situation with Corbyn? Not from the UK but every time I see liberals from there talking it's about how useless he is or how much he's giving up leverage on the Brexit issue and how he's going to inevitably lose in a landslide, etc.

Just liberal screeching or is any of that true?

Basically they wheeled out an old Bennite for shits and giggles after Ed Miliband reformed the leadership election process, so everyone joined the Labour party and voted him in as leader. Everyone then started stomping their feet and complained about how unfair it was that he won in a landslide because hundreds of thousands of people joining the party is Trotskyite/Tory entryism/sabotage.
Then after the media and his party shit on him for about a year they launched another leadership election with some guy who had been an MP for a year or two, who tried to out-Corbyn Corbyn (even going so far to say he would get ISIS around the negotiation table, which Corbyn said was out of the question) and obviously nobody trusted him and voted Corbyn in again.
Then because he's been against the EU all his life he was asked to lead the Remain vote, and when asked he said he was about 70% in favour of the EU. Then when everyone votes Leave they obviously blame Corbyn and demand that he scuppers the vote, which he refuses to do because it's what everyone voted for.

He's leading the Tories down a very dark path where he plans to club them to death at the end, liberals are too fucking stupid/cowardly and want to preserve everything as it is as they are wont to do and are joining the LibDems because muh EU. If you see someone saying they are disgusted at what the Tories have gotten away with over the last 7 years yet are voting LD, call them a cunt for me.

Nice rebuttal, pleb.

He is a socialist from pre Blair 'old Labour' days,kind of like a more openly leftist Bernie.But he is weak when they.the media and the Tories, attack him.His own party is full of 'new Labour' Blairities from the 90s aka 'red Tories' because they are basically just conservatives in the Labour party.He hasn't been an opposition to the Tories since he got in power,now that's not his fault fully as the media pushes the crafted narrative he is so limp he can't even find weakness in Thatcher jr,along with a helthy sprinkling of anti leftist rhetoric.

He does try,but not hard enough and not with enough conviction.The youth are with him and backed him to win the Labour leadership vote AND a challenge to his possition. During the challenge on his leadership the Labour party said no new members could vote because "muh trots".So it's not that he is useless is that he is held back by the media and does like to 'stoop low'.

As for Brexit,like lot s of leftist he is anti EU but endorsed remain as to stick with his parties policy and to stick with the youth vote.It's clear when May finally scrapes together some plans for a post EU Britain it's going to be one worse for the poor and Corbyn is trying to fight this but we actually don't even have a fucking idea what we will be doing post EU so he doesn't have much to criticise her on that front.

Nationalist rhetoric around Brexit is getting stronger and stronger with decent see as anti patriotic and this evocation that just like the war we can pull through this with a stiff upper lip and British Stoicism.

He won't win a majority in 2020,best shot he has is an SNP coalition and even then he'll basically make the UK a federation and loose a substantial part of the pro unionist vote from that.Unless Scotland has already Succeeded by that point,good fucking luck to them if they do tbh

Lib Dems are a meme at this point.Cleg sold them down the river and tuition fees is something they'll never live down

fuck off

Worth noting that Ed didn't even say a thing for the first three years of his leadership, he was far worse than Corbyn.

If you want a laugh go to r/unitedkingdom and watch the redditors convince each other that they're coming back, it's a good insight to the mentality of liberals in this country. They've turned into a lib dem circlejerk.

Ed didn't even do anything really,appart from have a photo of a fucking bacon snadwhich taken of him.Stone tablet of election promisses was cringe though.oh,and he hung out with Russell Brand to get with the youths
Lib dems are almost as much of a meme as the greens at this point

if you think that's bad check out /r/labouruk cucks jerking off who the next centrist savior to save them from the big bad Jezza

They're currently in the process of gargling the balls of every person who rebels on article 50

A living meme!

Haha that place crosses the line for me and stops being fun, it's just sad. Pretty telling that there are young Tories on there blending in.

how do you feel about Russell Brand?is he /oneofus/?To me he seems like he's pretty left of centre but he comes out with all this newage spiritualist energy levels and crystals shit.He is quite openly anti capitalist at least

He recently talked about how he started studying marx I think.

South Dakota Senate Approves Bill To Repeal IM 22

A repeal of a voter-approved ethics law is heading to Governor Dennis Daugaard's desk.
keloland.com/news/article/politics/south-dakota-senate-approves-bill-to-repeal-im-22

Since it was brought up in the other news thread, I thought you would like an update.

He's /oneofus/ insofar as we have such little support from big names that he's the best we can do rn and beggars can't be choosers. He's clearly talking out his ass 70% of the time but his heart's in the right place i guess

Yeah I think that's just a hangover from using getting off drugs, he probably used meditation to keep his mind off them. Even before 2015 poverty and capitalism really pissed him off and he does try and get publicity to movements that need community support, like squatting empty estates, or food drives. I've always liked him even if he is easymode.

holy fuck that picture.

it's like she wants to take a bite out of it
Also Holla Forums is SFW.

I know that his rehab is where he went all spiritualist from,and tbh that is better than an early grave.He speaks in simple terms and helps spread ideas to normies.Personally I like the guy,he's not perfect but he is a good stepping stone

garbo mods it was sfw you couldn't even see the tip or balls or anything

Kek'd

Been a long time since I saw Yee. . .

haha holy shit