Why Aren't you Creating your Windows VM Inside Linux?

Why would you let Windows touch your circuitry directly user?
You aren't a cuck are you?

Other urls found in this thread:

level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
laketide.com/setting-up-gpu-passthrough-with-kvm-on-fedora/.
archive.fo/UfYz8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I do it without a second video card? My Jewtel Skylake has an integrated GPU I don't use.

l-lewd

>not having adblock

And all it takes is a bit of elbow grease and common household items like
Some SATA cables,
A couple of harddrives
A recent processor that isn't shit
A ham sandwich (for energy)
A couple of spare video cards
And a hotblooded desire to annoy Micro$hills

I wanna say maybe, but I literally learned how to do this shit.
I guess this is how 40k techno-dudes feel

Brand spanking new install user.
In fact! I'm so generous, I'll walk you through it
Warning, these steps only worked for me so I can't help for shit if you fuck up horribly

Step 1.
Get yourself some Linux, I used Fedora.
Sure you can get other flavors, but why?
Someone post the Arch linux comic

gpu passthrough is a pain in the ass when using kubuntu, also I have an ultrawide.

Don't a lot of ultrawides have the power to split-screen? Then again that sorta defeats the purpose of an ultrawide.
Giant 4:3 IPS Monitor When

Step2.
Get that Leenoox on a bootable USB Stick. I'm assuming you know how to do this because holy fuck user have you never even tried the Linux meme ironically at least?

Well I can't use my secondary to my monitor and then my main GPU to Windows, right?

Not quite sure what you mean by Primary/Secondary user! I use my first card detected by BIOS as my Fedora card because it was easier. I suppose that means I'm using my 2ndary card as the passthrough (it is also the more powerful one)

Step 3.
Boot into that USB user, I believe in you!
Make sure you boot into UEFI, it's a pain but it let's us do one thing later on that's cool.
Select test and launch.

Well by the main card I mean a GTX 750 Ti and my main card would be a GTX 1080, either way I'm having issues booting the virtual machine

Step 4.

We sorta know what we're doing so we're gonna go ahead and hit Install.
If you are spooked about overwriting your disk because you're new at this kinda shit, turn off yer PC now and unplug everything except the one drive you'll use for Fedora/Not-Windows.

Otherwise, just go ahead and click next a bunch of times to install Fedora to the disk.

Windows 10 has VMware escaping hooks.
Has since creator's update.

Anyway! The card I use for Fedora is the weaker 560 Ti, and it's on the position closest to the processor, since the BIOS detects that one first.

Step 5.
Don't forget to set a root password and create an account too! Go ahead and make that account an admin, you're the boss right?
Once that's done, reboot back into Fedora. Remember, we're doing this in UEFI so if you left a windows disk inside your box it might throw a fit. Go into your BIOS and make sure Fedora is Numero Uno in your boot order!

Don't worry user, I made a PFSense router that gets a regularly updated list of MS Telemetry IPs and sites! Let's just say, I can't use Bing at all which is fine by me!
Besides, you're just being needlessly blackpilled user. Locks never prevent thefts, it just makes the thief look for someone else.

Step 6.
Hey, while we're in the BIOS and such, why not make sure we got what we need?
Go into your settings somewhere and turn on
IOMMU
and
SVM or VT-x
SVM is the virtualization setting for AMD, VT-Something is for Intel.

oh, that's probably why it never worked with my VM.

Is there a workaround?

Step 7.
From here on out, you can use
level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux
as a reference to follow along. However, the guy is kinda handwavy with some steps in the article. The video has some more detail about some steps, but it's more of an explanation about what's going on rather than a hard tutorial guide.

Once you are in Fedora, admire the fancy Gnome desktop or despise it, I like it but only with extensions that fix its annoying simplicity!
Then we'll open a terminal/console. Just hit the Meta/Windows key, type terminal and click that guy.
You're gonna want to get up to date so we're gonna update with
sudo dnf update
I swear Mark if you didn't turn on them code tags..

Enter your password and accept the possibly large update.

I thought people liked the code tags

I am Mark

Boy oh boy the blind leading the blind.
The user was talking about possible techniques a Windows Virtual Machine may use to escape it's virtual prison and reach the outside world / your hardware. It has nothing to do with whether it works or not.

Step 8.

Do a reboot by typing
reboot

Once you are back in Fedora, let's install all the virtualization shit you'll need! Go ahead and type in terminal
dnf install @virtualization

Hey, I think I'm noticing a pattern with all these terminal commands.

I love them! I just wasn't sure if they'd be turned on because I never really see them.

For (you).

Step 9.
Do another reboot to deal with any niggling issues that may appear if you don't.
At this point you should have something like my artistic picture, to boot:
A computer running Fedora happily which has
- IOMMU turned on in BIOS
- SVM / VT-whatever turned on in BIOS
- Two video cards inside
- Virtualization tools installed
2 Monitors each connected to a different Video Card

Holy shit just run Windows, if you're going to jump through all this autism just to run Windows anyways then what the fuck is the point of even using Linux in the first place?

There was already security issues found in AMDs older implementation of their x86 virtualization hardware. You are still by design running Windows on bare metal. Fucking idiots

You might as fucking well ditch Linux completely and just run Windows under a dedicated hypervisor instead for an identical effect and less overhead. I mean seriously this is beyond stupid

Question!

Can I use only one screen?

Well the main reason for this is because Windows has games while Linux is limited when it comes to games. Some of us want the best of both worlds, which is why GPU Passthrough is interesting.

Step 10.
Allright, here's where it gets a little hairy if your idea of typing things is
a. Shitposting
b. Microsoft Word

We are gonna go into Terminal and install a Notepad-like program that'll run in the terminal that's noob friendly simply type
nano
And install that shit.

After that type
nano MyGiantPenisIOMMUCheckerscript.sh
to create a file called yGiantPenisIOMMUCheckerscript.sh yes you can make it shorter, like your penis

Then copy the script from the guide in level 1.

Remember: Ctrl-O to save the file (for overwrite) and Ctrl-X to exit.

You're sending a message to the game development community to not support Linux native at all by doing this. Also Windows 10 has native support for running GNU/Linux applications now via kernel-level subsystem along with the full native Ubuntu repo access with apt.
you're playing proprietary games though

Can I replace the Windows UI with KDE PLasma?

I think you can, but refer back to my disclaimer above: only sharing what I did in excrutiating detail because a lot of guides assume you know a lot of this shit, which is annoying.

Step 10.
Make that bad boy script executable by typing
sudo chmod 777 BENIS.sh
If you type
ls
you'll see it change color into
which is good.

Now you can run the script by typing
./Benis.sh

you'll get a gigantic fucking wall of text but we're interested in one thing:
That the IOMMU groups for your cards are separate

If you squint at my picture you'll see that my Nvidia card is in group 12 and my AMD card is in group 13.
If this isn't the case for you, then I feel for you nigga.
You can try updating your motherboard BIOS and see if that fixes it.

Subsystems for Linux supports X11 applications via the many existing x11 servers that have been available for Windows since forever. You could probably run a DE over the Windows shell with some hackery

They don't support it anyway. When Steam folded on the Linux gayman box most devs stopped giving a shit. We're just getting a trickle now from stuff that was in development at the time of the failure.

Actually, many titles come in linux on steam now due to the fact that Steamworks multiplayer has better support on linux.
Mostly it's because of laziness on the developer's part, but whattya gonna do.

Why would anyone use Windows Subsystem for Linux when it makes far more sense to do virtualization the other way around? I can run anything with Linux at the bottom of the stack doing KVM.

I think it all comes down to graphics drivers, since that shit is a fucking mess on Linux right now. A lot of potential Linux users are turned away because of that shit. AMD has 2 officially sponsored drivers right now because freetards want their freedumbs and AMD needs to protect someone else's patent so they need a proprietary driver and what's fucking worse is Steam complains about missing radeon libraries for AMD users out of the box on Ubuntu, the most popular Linux distro and the one most newbies go to. I sincerely hope it gets better, but I doubt it will since the freetard community seems to have very low standards when it comes to this shit (JUST FIX IT URSELF LOL!)

Virtualization comes with some level of overhead

I'm going to continue playing games on windows 7.

Boy, you're not gonna like this next part if you're so against Proprietary stuff!

Actually if you use this guide, but for Windows 7 you can do some arcane fuckery called 'seamless mode' which will let you run Windows uh…windows inside Linux flawlessly. So they'll be windows apps, but with the KDE Plasma borders and other extraneous shit.

Don't give up on Vulkan user, game devs want that casual mobile market after all.
Imagine, what if every game could be ported as many times as Skyrim was with minimal effort!
How fucking horrifying

Step 11.
I'm gonna handwave this step because there's a guide that's actually usable for this!
We're gonna get rid of the shitty Nouveau drivers for NVIDIA if you have any of their cards.
Follow this guide here:
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
These are DRM'd drivers, so feel free to sip on the tears of our FOSS brothers.

why are you emulating windows 10 and not windows 7 aka best girl?

Step 12.

Now that you managed to install the ebil Nvidia DRM drivers (if you needed to), reboot and head back in to Fedora.
We're gonna be editing some key files as root.
Type
su
To obtain the power of Grayskull and become root. You can really fuck shit up as root so don't type commands you don't know like 'rm -rf *'!

The files we'll be editing are
1. - /etc/default/grub
2. - /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
3. - /etc/dracut.conf.d/vfio.conf

Remember to just use 'nano /etc/file/blah.conf' to either open the file or create a blank file.
Remember to refer back to the level 1 tech guide.
1.- Add 'iommu=1 amd_iommu=on rd.driver.pre=vfio-pci' in the line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
2. Using the sexy script from before, gather the IDS of the 2ndary card, they are in format XXXX:XXXX. Then type'em in the file. In my picture, I used # to comment the stuff I may need later on, but the meat is the white line.
3. add the line 'add_drivers+="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci" '

That's for next weekend user, I heard win10 performance is a bit better.

Don't worry bby, one day we'll make a .exe file that'll do this for you. Stick it to the man… comfortably.
BELIEVE ME BABY

Step the XII.

Run these two commands to update yer boot information.
Uh-oh! That's not a single quote user, that's a backtick! Don't fuck it up!

dracut –f –kver `uname –r` grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2-efi.cfg

After this, reboot. If things worked out, you should now have Fedora only on one monitor. When you log in, type 'lspci -nnk' and double check that your 2ndary card is using the temporary hold drivers "vfio-pci" (check out the 480 lines on group 25 here)

Not even once.

Are linuxfags self aware?

FUCK
type
–kver with two hyphen, I fucked up there.

Step the XIIIrd.

Open up Virtual Manager, and click on the shiny button to create a new Virtual Machine. You're gonna need an .iso from somewhere user, it can be Windows or not, the focus is on just creating the VM.
Give it some cores, give it some RAM
Check the box in this bad boy before finishing up! Don't forget!

Step Quattorze.

In Overview, choose UEFI as the firmware.
Remove the CDROM device because fuck it.
Remove the 'Display Spice' as well. Then finish.
If things aren't too horrible, you might even see a failed boot screen on the 2ndary monitor. Hooray!

Step X^V.

Shutdown your VM if it booted (or even if it didn't).
Go back to Terminal as root and open
/etc/libvirt/qemu/win10.xml
Follow the level 1 tech guide to modify the file.
When you get near the end you may say Whoa holy fuck user what's this about passing a WHOLE FUCKING hard drive to the Virtual Machine?
That's right! If you didn't throw away your harddrive that had WIndows 10 already installed, turn off yer pc,
install the Windows hdd
then turn on, go to Bios, make sure you go into Fedora.
That last bit of XML file will be something liek this (this is mine that works) in the /etc/libvirt/qemu/win10.xml file:

All you gotta do is find what the name of your windows install is by typing
lsblk
and substituting the device in the xml file.

I've just been lazy tbh.

FUCK
Don't forget to
virsh define win10.xml
after changing your vm's xml file.

If you find out you can't control what should now be a correctly bootable win10 VM, you can pass a 2ndary keyboard to the VM, like so.
Now you can let Windows install drivers (or do it yourself) and get started.

And that's how I got it to work!
There's a couple of things I'd liek to find out, like how to swap with a hotkey between the VM and Fedora, instead of using a 2ndary keyboard.
Again, this is what I did to get it working… Go bug Holla Forums if you encounter some shennanigans because I'm a dumb bag of bricks that fried an old ssd to do this.

If you are wondering about the different IDs…well why would I use Windows without a VPN?
And remember, only you can prevent the normalfag's technological complacency,
while playing Video Games!

You've gotta be autistic

As if the smug anime shit didn't give it away

vms have shit performance compared to the real thing

pci pass through only has a 5% if you using a not crappy cpu and low amount of ram.

That's why you just throw wave after wave of resources at'em. Or strip down the OS. Or other cool things I'm sure are out there.
You can even stop giving peons computers and just give'em a good ol' terminal with graphics piped in from the server room in the office like in this other article: laketide.com/setting-up-gpu-passthrough-with-kvm-on-fedora/.

Man, I don't understand half this shit and don't really care to. To say nothing of my lack of spare hardware necessary to even accomplish any of it. It's hard being a miserly niggard.

I'm fine with just running virtualbox. That's not bad right? The big bad scary NSA Windows isn't going to break the conditioning and peep on me, right?

Because I only have one graphics card and it's really old, you richy rich faggot.

But I spend hundreds to get a 5% performance advantage. Why would I just throw that away? The processor's backdoored anyway, being afraid of W10 touching metal is stupid.

I'll gladly convert fully into Gaynew/Loonux when SR-IOMMU will be supported on AMD cards which will be never ever but until then, I'll be dual booting from different hard drives. What OP forgot to mention is that it's only super easy if you fit in a certain group of newer hardware and I doubt anyone who might be interested in Linux uses anything new. Although OP is ridiculously autistic and needs to kill himself.

Go check Holla Forums or 4/g/ and tell me. Spoiler: They aren't.

shiggy diggy

You shouldn't have to do this. Just use 'virsh edit' which will automatically redefine it.

Does this work on FX CPUs? Not interested in the NSA backdoors in Ryzen.

Don't see why not: the main meat and potatoes is that your Motherboard supports IOMMU and properly separates its PCI devices.

Because I'm not a Linux cuck like you OP.
Also I swear that better not be a official win10 version running and not a psuedo win7 running over it as you should just off yourself if it is.

It should work since the Bulldozer CPUs have AMD-Vi support.
Too bad bulldozer was an awful architecture

Install Gentoo

Except this is all Linuxfags.

For anyone's convenience even though OP is an autistic faggot: archive.fo/UfYz8

How would one go about overclocking their GPU in linux?
Anything similar to MSI Afterburner?

If you wanna blog, user, you can go back to >>>/tumblr/

AFAIK it is possible but you can't interface directly with the GPU clock from userspace in Linux so you need to setup init scripts and shit.

Because by the Halting problem, any program that takes another program as input is uncomputably complex. So it will necessarily rely on assumptions/heuristics to get the job done, resulting in something that is a lot less performant than the original. Point is, it's a dumbass waste of time done by hacker leet kiddies.

/thread

I don't use Linux because I use my computer to work, not to jerk off to command prompts and shitpost on /g/

You have to go back.

>>>/g/
thanks for proving your autism, linuxfag

The performance loss you would experience is so minuscule, it's barely worth mentioning. Nice try, Holla Forumsedditor.

step it up nigger

0/10 gay LEDs, but i like your setup

Gay as all fuck. Put the rainbow colors while you're at it, Jesus Christ.

How does it feel to have shit taste?

a blindingly bright purple LED behind your setup, which will inevitably fatigue your eyes while you actually use the workstation, is not aesthetic. that's gay. you want aesthetic, motherfucker apply yourself, overlay some green straight LEDs overtop of that purple in a grid pattern and you're full escape from new york. until then, you're full brokeback mountain

I'm glad I'm not you, or have your line of work. :)

You're not using Vmware on that third monitor, are you?

The purple is actually quite dim the camera just accentuates it. All the LEDs are RGB anyway.

That's a TightVNC to Server2012, i use Xenserver for other VMs, Qemu for the win10 VM.

Yeah you could just run Windows directly if you dont care about
>encrypting your hard drive without using (((BitLocker)))
Yeah what's the deal with these autists? Fucking nerds.

Because I run Linux and Windows on separate machines. I only use Windows to play HotS with my normalfag friends though. Most of the time I'm on my Linux laptop with integrated graphics. It has plenty of power for my old games and emulators. And shitposting.

you need AMD cards for this though

I'd rather just dual boot with linux on my main SSD and windows on my other, and firewall the hell out of it.

I got this going using VMWare ESXi using two GPUs though.