Make Don't Starve

What happened

Comfy happened

Klei is a one-trick pony. They got lucky with Don't Starve.

I just wish this dev could grow an art style that wasn't so damn ugly.

It's early access cancer too. Now they're making some game called Grit instead of finishing ONI.

Never understood comfy. what's the appeal?

I think it may be the character design, not the art style that's bad.
There's the The Fifth Element I'm a retard and shaved half my head haircut again.

Comfy is like anything else that's relaxing and slightly fulfilling at the same time, like some light summer time reading or some good sencha. Comfy is best when you're sick but want to play vidya without having to think too much or stress.

Is this becoming the new meme genre?

Dorf Fort for casuals has been done several times, the best iteration of which being Rimworld, which was actually done correctly.
This is an even more casualized, less challenging sideways view Rimworld. It's also extremely predictable and boring. There isn't a thing fucking thing in this shit that is an original idea.

comfy games are for the time when you simply want to unwind without straining with effort. Complex puzzle games and competitive shooters are examples of not comfy games. You don't want to go run a marathon when you're exhausted and tired, and you don't want to play high-strung games that wind you up when you're not in the mood. Comfy games are like reading easily digestible pulp fiction for simple enjoyment, rather than slogging through deep philosophical texts wherein you need to think about every sentence.

It's been one for a while
I can't remember what the first one was. I know Gnomoria is on the list, and maybe Towns? But I'm pretty sure there was something that preceded those.

It's not really like DF much at all but I guess it's debatable. I like the gimmick of it being about environmental survival with managing gases, liquids and temperatures rather than monsters or raiders or whatever, but it looks really simplistic.

Rimworld is the biggest current one, I would think.

Pick one. The only good game Klei has ever made was Mark of the Ninja.

I get the idea, turns out I only play those kind of games recently.

Exciting relative to other survival games. I made the right choice to mostly avoid guides. When I first started it just seemed like a generic survival game and as I played I found pig people, a giant house fly that spits lava, random dogs coming out of the abyss of night, and a giant spider shitting out little spiders

Nah.

I like Klei but I'm not touching Oxygen Not Included beyond the occasional pirated version until it leaves early-access. I'm not even going to pay attention to it until the inevitable big banner saying "It's done" because in this genre of game it won't be worthwhile until it has all the content in it coming together. Until then, it's too unfinished to enjoy for longer than a day.

how's shipwrecked?

It's alright. Don't Starve but a little different. If you dig the island aesthetic a lot you may prefer it over the base game, but it's really just more of the same with some spins on it.

I'm going to guess early access and they will add threats later. The only real threat Don't Starve had for a long time was the spiders. All the other things were added in much later.

Also, the last time I played Dwarf Fortress you had to specifically hunt down a tile with goblin neighbors or you would have fuck all to fight, short of a rare random encounter with a megabeast or digging too deep.

The greatest threat to all my forts is werebeasts, most of the time. I've gotten very tired of them.

Nearly every time a werebeast showed up for me it would immediately transform back to whatever it's natural form was and run away. I'm afraid of them because they could infect my fortress, but I've never actually had much of an issue with them.

The only consistent way for me to deal with them is seal the bridge and wait for them to turn back and leave. Because once you get your militia infected, there is no fixing it beyond sealing them in a room and being spammed by "Urist Werebeast cancels Drink inaccesible" endlessly for years because they don't starve to death fast enough.

DS is the opposite of that, there was a massive lack of random events. Everything was fixed and got old fast. The whole game is mostly waiting for hours anyhow, it feels like such a waste of time once you've mastered it that I frankly wouldn't touch it ever again.

It looks like it's Don't Starve mixed with This War of Mine and maybe a vague amount of Terraria.
I feel like the gaming industry's even fresh side has grown stale. Little developers like Klei mostly just copy each other.

Luckily there is no such thing as Dorf Fort for casuals. The main idea, the essence of Dwarf Fortress is to be convoluted, too complex, too bloated and with insane learning curve.

Casual DF is a lie. It's like saying that energy drinks are amphetamine for the casuals - a clear lie by false comparison.

This kinda reminds me of Frozen Bytes last game - "Has been heroes". A free-phone-game-tier shit fest that has absolutely horrid production values with pallet swaps and the worst grind I have ever seen. I Think you have to literally play the RNG-fest through over 200 times to unlock all heroes

It's really just RimWorld but from a side 2D view instead of a top-down 2D view. And plumbing. This is the only "Dorft Fort Lite" game I've seen that has actually attempted bathrooms.