What is the one videogame trope you can never tire of?

What is the one videogame trope you can never tire of?

I think its the 'characters dont even know what they lost' aspect i like. Etrian Odyssey, Nier Gestalt, Horizon and even to a lesser extent things like the reveal of what the great ocean is in Wind Waker.

Other urls found in this thread:

simonstalenhag.se/
imgur.com/a/sneoW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

every character has a dick

I don't like QTE's but sometimes they can be cool if they don't affect the actual fight

In the same vein as you, anything post-apocalypse.
For both games, movies and series. I'm one of those that still aren't tired of zombies

I liked this about SMT IV up until I realized that the rest of the game would be taking place in Tokyo.
It's a neat twist, at least.

Honestly, any game that rewards exploration, even just with some small item is so much better to me.

It's a great why of showing just how far your skills have come.

Villain kidnap hero's girlfriend

Motherfucking floating islands.
I never get tired of that shit. It's so goddamn cool.

Thanks for the input Cameron.

I don't know if this is a trope but any game with a silent protagonist i become attached to much quicker than most other games. Its what kept me through Bioshock. Metroid has always been perfect like this.

QUIT ABUSING REDTEXT YOU FUCKING NIGGERS, WE CAN SEE YOUR THREAD JUST FINE, YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANY MORE ATTENTION THAN YOU WOULD'VE GOTTEN BY USING IT

Anyway, I guess backtracking can be fun, if it's done correctly. If the designers introduce an interesting looking area, but then refuse to immediately allow you to explore it, you may feel a greater desire to come back to it later, especially if this new area houses some unique secret, or is itself posed as an opportunity to try out a newly acquired skill.

Having fun. Its been a while though, since last time i had it.

The earth is an island floating in a void.

What is it supposed to be used for if not a header?

Only shitty internet "forums" have rules that red text can be used only in specific ocasions.
So fuck off.

Autistic screeching, like he just showed you.

You're all a bunch of niggers. You have a subject field that can be used as a header. However, if you want to type like you're loudest retard on the block, then go ahead.

Take it easy.

Everyone has been doing it for years, lurk more fagget this is a nice thread about nice things.

You mean exactly what you were doing?

Anyway, I like the "protagonist gets companion in the form of a voice in his head" thing. I liked Prince of Persia Two Thrones for it and Dark Messiah Might and Magic did it really nice as well.

I'm not actually sure what other games do this.

I am fine.

Eat shit, friend.

Yeah, me and every other asshole around here. You, too.

You're a bit boring tbh.

In FFXIV A Realm Reborn ended with you fighting the ghost of the world serpent midgardsormer and losing all your powers and then his spirit possessed you and for the next expansion Heavensward he followed you giving you information.

Then when the first raid in Stormblood began it turns out he never left he just left you get your powers back.

Steampunk settings, give me industrial victorian England with fantastical machines any day of the week. It was the one saving grace of Dishonoured which would have otherwise been completely mediocre.

It got kind of overdone for me pretty quickly, but one of the things I do still want more of is "huge as fuck airship".

Ridable mechs.
As in game having separate mechanics for when you're in one and when on foot.
If done right it's the tightest shit there is.
Unfortunately it's more common in mmos than in proper single player games.

No one seems to understand that, if you can't be on foot, there's nothing special about being told you're in a mech.

that's dumb

Is that a fucking minions icon on the hotbar in the 4th image there?

Floating islands were the shit way before Avatar came along.

How many games actually even have giant airships? Skies of Arcadia does airships, but I don't recall any of them being particularly large. I think I remember Final Fantasy 7 having at least one giant airship.

I mean if control scheme is different enough from your standard controls it still works, like in Mechwarrior or Armored Core franchises.
But having contrast in one game is super exciting.

What exactly?

Plebs, the lot of you.

Lame, forced, on foot sections in a game that should be about mechs

They were at least the size of aircraft carriers, probably bigger.

That's why I said If done right.
Front mission evolved is shitty game in general, and terrible forced on foot sections make it even worse.
Or in fucking titan fall there is simply no difference between being on foot or being in mech, it's just statistical power up.

That's stupid. You don't need separate foot mechanics. The whole point of a mech is the momentum. I'd argue the reverse, that there's no point to a mech when it makes you exactly the same as on foot but giant (like Titanfall does, where it is basically Call of Duty where you can occasionally become a giant Call of Duty).

Most of the Armored Core games and Mechwarrior games get it pretty close at least. I like separate foot mechanics, too, but the most important thing are good mech mechanics regardless. You don't need the contrast, you just need the mech controls to be heavy and satisfying.

Right, but you can't fully explore a whole lot of them. I haven't played through the game in a long time, but I remember being able to explore maybe 2 large ships. Now that I think about it, I think there was an airship or two as a dungeon, and I had forgotten that they were supposed to be ships and not just giant dungeons.

Do you understand the difference between "on foot mechanic" and what you call "foot mechanic"?

(checked)
Sure you're talking about a video game there?

A whole bunch of JRPGs do that.

Kid Icarus Uprising did it.

Dragon's Dogma did it

Persona 5 gets live action adaptation?

Sonic Generations was a fucking gem.

I suppose you already played Pandora's Tower, user?

Bravely Default comes to mind

I understand, I'm just pointing out that the mech mechanics are by far the most important, regardless of anything else. Being able to be on foot is nice, but it won't make shit mech gameplay good, and it not being present won't make good mech gameplay bad.

I will shit on Dark Souls 3 for being a inconsistent, boring piece of fan service traash any day of the week but the final bosses final phase where he just pulls out a greatsword and the Dark Souls 1's final boss theme seamlessly blends in then replaces the boss theme was fantastic.

I agree.

Tons of JRPGs do that. Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia in particular have the "Big Bad guy" actually only being the halfway point, and they were actually good guys. Tales games are pretty much all piles of tropes and cliches.

Chrono Trigger did that too

I just 101% DKC1 for the first time a couple years ago despite growing up with it.

Player-sized bosses and rival fights are a treat in general.

I love this shit and got unreasonably excited when I got to that point in EO.

Vergil awakened me to this trope, before DMC3 the word "boss" always associate with some huge ass hulking monster and player sized bosses were treated by my mind as mini-bosses or mid-bosses.
But not after this fucker.

God damn Devil May Cry may be one of the best series of all time.

I wasn't really into Dragon's Dogma until I wandered behind that waterfall. That dungeon got me rock frickin hard and I ended up playing the rest of the game on the strength of that experience alone.

I fucking loved this shit in Grandia.

For the love of god I hope Itsuno announces DMC5 this year.
I'm sure what ever game he's working on will be great even if it isn't DMC5, but it's been so long without a true sequel to my favorite series.

Really, all this shit makes my dick diamonds.
Likewise, the fight with Sam in MGR.
The fact they considered you might want to walk slowly in circles before going ham, and having the AI do the same, it was so great.

On that note the exact opposite of both tropes tends to be absolutely awful and boring.
Also i absolutely hate most ancient ruins in videogames because literally no game ever builds on it, maybe Dark Souls because it was the whole point of the plot but that's it

2013 wasn't that long ago.
I just realized that DMC4 came out nine years ago. Fuck me that's longer than the time between DMC and DMC4

I really can't say shit about Platinum, they know how to make a VIDEO GAME.

MOTHER

FUCKING

OKAMI

Goddamn, the opening to The Sun Rises is just the greatest fucking thing. It's legit one of my favorite final fights in any video game ever.

Not quite the same but i liked the 'twist moment' of Bravely Second End Layer.

Fuck great moment of 4th wall breaking.

I wish there was an otherwise traditional open world RPG that used this, it could be great

>cutscene

You better not be making this shit up

i dont get tired of this shit

SURE THING BUCKO!

Other than the one you posted, I'm not too sure, really.
I mean I fucking love it when a game has some really weird occult shit hidden away, to where you really have to look hard for it.

Is there such a thing?

Thats Berserk in every final fantasy since like the NES.

People here love to shit on Phantasy Star Online 2, yet it does that better than any other game I've ever played.

For some reason i love this.

A happy ending where I the MC gets the girl.

In the original version of 2 berserk didn't take control away and was stackable.

>it's the protagonist of the last game, who took on the mantle after winning
God I love armored core

I'll never get tired of fighting my way through all sorts of tedious enemies to get to an out of the way location that I'll need to double back from only to find that the treasure inside that cheekily out-of-reach chest was just a better-than-average healing item.
The disappoint is always the same.

Hell yeah

I need to finish Bravely Default and actually buy and play Bravely Second. Reading the wiki about the plot is a fucking trip, so I imagine the game is even moreso.

i found the limited collectors in a pawn shop for £5, anges statue, OST on CD, the gran and a fucking fantastic THICC design works artbook.

I hate this.
Its like a tease.
I wanted to kill the bad guy. They rob the satisfaction from me.

This is only ok as a frustrating plot device like when huey killed skullface in mgsv

Yeah, not just humanoids, but specifically any RIVAL fight. Nero Angelo is the best fight in DMC1. Vergil is the best fight in DMC3. Same for Devil Hand in God Hand. Same for Jeanne in Bayonetta. Same for Prince Vorkken in The Wonderful 101, arguably.

I guess whichever fights in Viewtiful Joe and Revengeance count as rivalry is up for debate since there are quite a few contenders. I would guess Sam and Alastor.

All of Freespace basically

Is that from a real game, or are you fucking with me?
Mine's from one of the GBA Final Fantasies.

You will never know

The rival/doppelganger boss fight.

PSO2 did it awfully though. From the very beginning you are marked as special when you hear voices that are somehow related to that amnesiac bitch who just stands in the lobby doing jack shit for the story for a long ass time and travel time and that retarded crap. I take it you forgot the fact that EVERY FUCKING STORY MISSION IN EP 1 HAS YOU TRAVEL THOUGH TIME with the help of an oh so mysterious mumbling lady scientist.
You were never an ordinary recruit in the game, you were special from day fucking one and that is why it does it shit.

I think his point is that characters actually react on you being one of the strongest creatures in known universe as opposed to
Like every other game does.

what?

Wew lad

I also like it when the music changes during these moments as it adds to the badass feeling.

It felt like the only game that really got it right with this was World of Warcraft. I feel like Breath of the Wild kind of had shit like that but for some reason BotWs world almost reminds me of Azeroth like it was designed by the same people almost, they both have this kind of large, sectioned, larger-than-life feel.

Hell, I think Wind Waker did a fairly good job at this too because it seemed like there was a handful of islands that just exist to fill their respective square on the sea charts

Just pirate it, saves you having to buy "Localised" cancer

I-is that soldier about to get clanked?

>TROPE

The term "trope" existed long before TVCancer wiki exited famalam

Law of Robotics states that it must always have the same sex it was designed with initially unless the designer of the robot wants to change it.

AND ITS STILL A CANCEROUS WORD THAT NEVER SHOULD BE USED FAMDINGO

You're right, we should just call every instance of recurring story telling device a meme instead

Why would a robot even have a sex? Just make them unigendered and be done with it, so activists can't play the gender game on them.

Why not, I mean the lefties are at least starting to be afraid of using the word meme

It's like you hate your robots

Because it was designed to
And also you fucking know that Waifu bots with artificial wombs will be revolutionary

Nothing wrong with a little hate sex now and again. Everyone appreciates a little pinchey squeezey.

Just because your robot can birth your baby doesn't mean it needs to have a gender.

I don't get clankfags because I just imagine shoving my dick into that and it being hard and cold like metal instead of tight and warm like a real vag

>blow Nineball to pieces.
>two more show up.
>boost like hell
>final boss is an AI
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR?!

I miss when Armored Core was good.

The Robot has the main characteristic of being a female

Basebuilding and homebuilding. At least until recently when minecraft kiddies ruined it

The rotors make it warm, and the plushy inside made for clanking makes it comfy. And there's no way you're not cumming inside with a leg lock like it's.

Robots don't have genders. They're not alive. It shares similar characteristics with a female, but so do traps.

yes

cute robot fighting wahmyns is a meme I can cosign.

Traps can't make babies

I thought the same thing

Looks like a womans ass to me.

No, but they can call you daddy.

so did I

But that's not a definite function of a female

Machines have no emotions, rights, or consciousness, but if you’re going to make humanoid robots, YOU MAKE THEM WOMEN, YOU FUCKING FAGGOT. Who the hell would want to look at a man? And you can store the batteries in the tits.

It's fucking weird that even at a small con there was a lot of 2B and 9S cosplay

Cool bro sweet

It's the best.

Fuck off satan

This is why everyone hates you, you always have to push your degenerate shit everywhere you go. You pass it off as a joke, but you have an agenda behind it. We're not going to accept it, and the more you push it on us the more we're going to hate you people, so just stfu and go satisfy your lust in your containment boards. When will you learn that the best way to get us to accept you is to just keep to yourselves and not bring attention to your fetishes? Fags are exactly like women in online communities, and they always end up ruining them if nothing is done about them. The only way to keep fags in check is with persecution, just like with women. Get the fuck out, faggots

Thanks, (1), you're the hero we need

Instances aren't memes, breh. They're instances.

Bipedal helper robots with two arms necessarily derive their utility and manipulability from the human form. If you want to give it two legs, four arms, and no head (putting the sensors around the shoulders), that’s fine too. I in no way support the anthropomorphization of machinery, but a woman’s form is more appealing than a random collection of parts.

There's a pretty big difference between giving it functional hands and giving it a giant pair of tits and animu eyes that send it directly into the uncanny valley

And I just realized every game you listed is from Platinum…
Why is Platinum so based?

Well, three are from Platinum, two are from Clover, two are from Capcom, but I get what you mean.

I'm not bragging, I'm noticing

Strong, independent (bitch), female characters that look like men

That thing doesn't look like man.

It's his robot friend designed to drive home a theme of the uneasy relationship between traditional small town america and the technological-economic-military forces that shaped and overshadow it, you fucking soulless homosexual.

I'm definitely the same way. I was lucky enough as a kid to have parents who were pretty good at guessing which games would be good gifts.Got Viewtiful Joe as a gift the year it came out and I put an obscene amount of time into that game.

(checked)
oh my bad I ment big tittites

Kid Icarus is mostly that

Chrono Trigger made me fucking love floating islands.

Bonus points if you can see multiple areas from different spots, Dark Souls 1 and Sunshine were great at these

what's the name of this artist again? I love his stuff

simonstalenhag.se/
Enjoy my dude

Thanks! It kinda feels like a modern version of this style.

lolis

I'm honestly surprised they haven't made us fight two of them at once by the end.

If I was a master game creator, I'd make an entire game with this concept as the crux of the narrative, where the end of the game changes significantly depending on who you helped and who you didn't.

Even as something as simple as a supporting character throwing you a power-up during a bossfight can be so satisfying.

Trading/fluctuating prices

I came here to post this, I will never ever get fucking tired of shit behind a waterfall.

dragon warrior monsters

This is relevant to your interests.

Almost.

DMC4 when you go to do the stupid dice puzzle with Dante and he just straight up cuts the shitty dice in half and fucks off.

Meh. The Dragons Dogma one didn't really leave excite me since it was a required quest to continue the story.
I much prefer it when waterfall goodies are hidden and optional.

Black Flag did a serviceable job. Would've been much better if the map didn't already show where every little fucking thing was though.

It’s a shame he’s a kike. His art is decent.

Then get on that user. /adgd/ is just around the corner.

HEY, IT'S THAT DOG

Revisiting an area to find it more dangerous, or having two versions of an area - one more and one less difficult - in general. OFF does this except it's an easy game anyway so it doesn't impact you that much but it's really fun to discover that "saving" worlds only makes them more fucked up. It's a great way to reuse your assets while makng it interesting and justified. Jade Cocoon did this too, with the Netherworld.
Apart from these and (kind of) Silent Hill, I don't think I know a game that does this.

I think Dragon's Dogma does this too. Once you reach the mid-point of the game the whole world become a lot more dangerous and difficult, and many new monster and quest in old areas, which makes it really fun to explore them again.

That's a very generous way of talking about changed normal monster spawns on one road, several new sparsely added boss monsters and a new skybox.

Kemono Friends to that really well

Abandoned industrial environments.
There's something about them that draws me in, I think it happened to me even before playing stalker, but it has certainly had an influence.

It can also fuck right off

Why so angry? It was a game after all

It's really good shit
Fuck now I want to play it again

Pretty sure you could train one.

It's across the entire map you moron.

Floating islands are cozy.

CAVES BEHIND WATERFALLS

Dark souls 3

I love this so much. I don't know why.
The protagonists are just trying to survive their day to day lives, meanwhile you're trying to figure out how the world got so fucked.

Not gonna lie, that's why I loved exploring Ivalice in FF12. Flying around in revenant wings was also pretty serene. Too bad both games can get repetitive after awhile.

What happened to that fucking dog anyway? It helps you out with el gigante fight and drops off the face of the earth. Did it become a colmillos and you killed it without knowing?

Muh nigga

Always creates beautiful landscapes. That was probably one of the only good things about the last of us.

m8

Not everyone can afford or is willing to buy a bloodbornebox for it

I'm pretty sure it's because i'm fucking shit at 4X games, but it still pisses me off

Then let me write this shit down nigga

Theres your goddamn zone update.

So it's a zone you've been in before that changed?

gates that were locked are opened, past enemies are all lying dead and even the skybox changes as everything goes from victorian werewolf outbreak to the end of the world as presented by abdul al hazared.

Mech Assault was great for this.

Ah, so what happens if you dont die to the guys that oneshot you? The game stays in gothic werewolf hunting mode? Or is it one of those mandatory to die things

If you are not killed by a kidnapper you never go there before lovecraft mode. Its a secret. Not a particularly well kept one since these fuckers hide around corners and smash you with their meatbags but you can 100% skip it. Its a kind of speed runner thing where going to the early werewolf period version is full of enemies too high level but you get a number of items far earlier and a look at the zone but the trade off of course is you go later "oh back here agai-WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS" when there are now literal low tier old gods hanging on buildings shooting eye lasers at you.

Makes sense, his art on the socialist swedish landscape isn't nearly as dark or hard-hitting.

I just loved lost planet, the fancier mechs just felt so much better than the clunkers you get early on. and the sense of scale was great, on foot fighting a big enemy you got thrown around and land on your ass all the time, stumble when big shit shakes the ground, then you get in the mech and its a damn kaiju battle.

shame the second game is so multiplayer focused its too dead to fully enjoy anymore, havent tried the third game but from my understanding it compromised heavily and killed the franchise.

Good Gameplay

aww

what's the story to this, and did it end up with the kikess decked across the face?

You played on one near the end of Bioshock Infinite

imgur.com/a/sneoW

>

I remember when we called that shit "literary devices" or "patterns" instead of tropes.

Hey faghot, a literary device is it's own distinct thing, and pattern is too broad. Trips is a perfectly fine word to describe a typified plot device or theme.

Fug, meant tropes.

Characters who are just there to pleasantly look sexy.

Name a SINGLE work of fiction where this happened where it wasn't a 10/10 ending

it's the hypest shit

Easy.

Aren't you always basically in space or in orbit in mass effect though? That hardly counts

I'd say Sonic 2006 but that ended in the best possible way for that trainwreck.

I hope you didn't actually play to the end of that game, right?

Are you gay?

I wanna get impregnated~!

the game was rigged from the start

here

why is there no sanic version of the music starting at 2;30

Skids of Arcadia would be great for that. Also it would be easier to commit suicide or murder if you can just jump off the edge.

Being able to shoot down huge stuff with my huge guns. I get so giddy and nervous shooting down the ginormous UFOs in EDF, the scale of it that it takes you several minutes to arrive to the center of it and shooting it down is an awesome feeling, even better because there's no cutscenes or anything.

That's something I really enjoyed in Undertale how the theme was spread out throughout the entire game, sometimes obviously, sometimes where you had to edit the audio files to make it appear

kek

Are you sure?

Remember when these faggots tried to make pepe wrongthink?

HE WAS OURS FIRST FUCKER

This a thread about things you like user.

No game has made me love this corny ass shit more than Nier: Automata

Pic.

Only certain versions of pepe were used by normalfags over a relatively small period of the meme's lifetime. It was quickly re-established as not normalfag friendly with Nazi memes.

fug

Signature weapons are classy.

Good gameplay

You should play Project Nomads then.

When the last dungeon in a rpg is full of absolutely crazy shit. It's crazy long, tons of puzzles, great enemy variation and it has the best weapons in the game. I will always love when a game gives you that final challenge for sticking through to the end.

Good stuff

Hell yeah

Moss-covered stone ruins in fantasy games make my dick rock hard.

I love games with big worlds that let you get far, far away from civilization, so far that you can't even see civilization in the distance. Fuck games that have every single thing be in spitting distance of a city or something, I couldn't stand that about Saints Row 4.

Especially if you can just wander around isolated, with no companions following you around. To go in the deep woods, or ESPECIALLY in a mountain range. Firewatch was so close to being exactly this, but they had to have some shrew babbling at you and taking you out of the experience.

If I remember right, your dog friend in the Capcom game Haunting Ground is the same one from RE4. No bullshit.

That's my fetish

What the fuck were you expecting?
So you want literal walking hiking simulator with no agenda bullshit?

I want fucking proof.

The most well-known GTA games like San Andreas and 5 at least had forests and mountains you could explore. Wasn't that far, but it was nice. SR4 on the other hand was 100% city outside of missions transporting you to some temporary area you can't get to anytime else.

I'd like more substance to the game, but the idea is nice is all I'm saying.

Can't find any, maybe I am bullshitting, but they look very similar and they're both in Capcom games released around the same time. It's almost certainly a cameo at least.

RULES
OF
NATURE

Actually this was the first thing that popped into my head.

The one where you win bigly.

I fucking love ancient ruins in games but almost no games actually use them well in my opinion. They're also the main reason I used to love Assassin's Creed games a few years back

That's the tightest shit in video games.

I fucking love games where you can become der übermensch with the right planning and strategy. Especially when you start out shit.
Half-Life 2 was good for this.

Why the fuck didn't the driver stop the bus and throw her the fuck out? I advocate punching loud people on public transport in the mouth regardless of their religion.