Playing more than one game at a time

So about a year ago I decided that I would start focusing on only one game at a time, since I felt that I wasn't beating enough games. But since my play habits are atrocious sometimes as bad as a single two-hour session after going a week without playing vidya and I've been on a JRPG binge, I'd really like to know how you anons alternate between games, especially long ones. I've been afraid to play more than one at a time since I'd most likely play one considerably more than the others, but I really wanna play DQ7 soon and I don't wanna spend two-to-four months only playing that one game.

I don't play many JRPGS to begin with since most of them have very shallow gameplay that overstays its welcome and the devs think that the shitty.story with anime tier writing is enough to keep you playing for 40 hours.

I play some RPG that will take a while to complete and pepper it with some hour long sessions of games like Golden Axe or Doom.

Good for you. Doesn't help me with my problem, but I'm glad you don't like a thing I like.

I generally just focus on one console/PC (similarity being that you can't just take it wherever) game and one handheld game at a time. That way I make steady progress in both. In contrast, trying to play a lot of games at once means you make progress in everything, but very little due to jumping around (and in some cases you may have to restart due to forgetting what you were doing or how the game handles). Really just have to focus, and maybe play games from a different series/genre between your major ones to avoid getting burned out. Also, if you weren't aware yet, Dragon Quest VII is a LONG game.

Of course, I suppose it also depends on just how into a game you are. If you're having to force yourself through it, it may not be worth your time.

Why thank you friend :)

If I play any RPG I always alternate it playing an older, shorter game just to make the potential slog not get me burnt out on vidya. Right now I'm playing Dark Chronicle/Cloud 2 while going back to Sonic 3 for fun.

My play habits are almost as bad. 40 hour work week+gym+shitposting=having to really manage vidya time.

Honestly, from what I've heard, and with your play habits, skip it. It's literally hundreds of hours long because padding. Even the 3DS renake is supposedly stupidly overly long.

I always play the shit out of one game until I get bored and move on. I might have a transition phase where I switch between games for a couple days, but I always settle on something for a while.
Maybe I'll sprinkle in trying some new shit or blasting through some short games from time to time.

*remake

The length is the reason I've been so put off from playing it. It took me four months to beat Grandia because of the huge-ass breaks I took, and that game was only 40 hours. I can only assume DQ7 would take me close to a year, which is why I don't wanna stick with only that.

Might also add to that that my biggest problem isn't so much sticking with games, but actually getting around to starting something up. Sometimes I can go weeks without even beginning a new game after beating one. And not for lack of a backlog either; I've got plenty I want to get around to and get through.

If you ask me, there's nothing wrong with a game being long, provided that it remains enjoyable throughout, and the pacing is handled well. I can't speak for Dragon Quest VII (no 3DS here, the PS1 version has shot up where I am, and as far as I've heard the game really doesn't like being concerted to eboot format for the PSP, so I'm honestly not real sure when I'd actually get around to it myself), but I remember enjoying Xenoblade from start to finish, and that was a good ninety hours without even doing all (maybe even most?) of the optional content and sidequests. That's just me speaking about my own experience with it, as Xenoblade's not for everyone (and I'd wager Dragon Quest VII isn't either).

But I have an eboot of DQVII on my PSP.

Single player games, particularly RPGs, I tend to have a long session then take like 3 week to a month+ long break. I come back to it and reflect on what I was doing and maybe explore a bit to get my bearings again. When I do eventually finish it I tend to think of them pretty fondly since if it was a shitty game I tend to just forget about it during the longer breaks where as the good ones occupy and return to my thoughts when I'm not playing since I'm actually looking forward to playing again.

I think I've heard it had something to do with the text not displaying right or something in that format, compared to the original PS1 ISO. Though, for all I know, it might have been outdated information I'd heard, and I've heard there's some cases of bad conversions on an individual basis. Might have to look more into it myself (maybe read some upload comments on various sites).

Really nigga?

Ah, found something in the description on Nicoblog's upload of it:
So, I guess it is playable, but requires some specifics to get working right. Actually not certain of it it would work on my own PSP, considering that while I've got PRO-C CFW, it's "PRO-C Fix 3" in particular.

get PSX2PSP v1.4.2 then you can convert from eboot to bin/cue and visa versa. I know its not currently the most popular PS1 emulator but epsxe runs both eboot and bin/cue so sometimes its nice to convert a multi-CD game into a single eboot just for keeping your files organized.

Changing your CFW takes like 3 minutes

I try to keep it one game for each platform. That obviously blows up in my face since I have a billion different platforms but I try to minimize it.

The result is that I'm pretty slow at beating games and I often drop games because I haven't touched them long enough to forget where I was and then I just say fuck it.

Yeah, but I'm just wondering if that requirement can work with any make of 6.60 PRO-C (IE: I wouldn't need to change out the CFW anyhow), or only with base 6.60 PRO-C.

Dq7 is the worst DQ
and it's the DQ you should leave for last, if you're really hungry for dragon quest

DQ7 is an ok game but holy shit the game is unnecessarily long and tedious. It's incredibly boring if not for the story being interesting for every island and the gameplay being enjoyable. but it overstays its welcome big time and the structure is tedious

DQIX is arguably worse

DQIX had a better story premise (albeit the writing being less interesting or fun)
DQIX had better gameplay
yes, it has no party members, but the better gameplay and job system is a better trade off, considering in 7 party members dont really have much story besides God's chosen knight and maribel
DQIX has a way better post-game
DQIX has better equipment interface and equipment list, which compensates for the more boring writing/mini-plots throghout the
game

8 > 4 = 5 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 7

Thats how i feel about DQ8.
Am I playing the game wrong or is it just shit in general? It takes absolutely fucking forever to level up and progress to the point where my party memebers started to get curb stomped by monsters. I grinded for hours too. The game is full of shit and padding just like DQ7 to do that to the player.

No wonder you never finish anything.

playing 1 game at a time is like fucking 1 bitch at a time man that would fucking kill me like my dick would stop working at maximum efficiency, might as well quit working out too and just fucking die.

I have one active game per genre rather than one active game overall, works much better when you aren't feeling a specific game.

Whenever I get bored of a game I'm in the middle of, I write the title on an index card. I do this until I have a few names on the card. Currently, my index card has 10 different games on it. Then, I assign each game to a playing card and loop back to the top until every card in the deck is assigned to a game. So, my current index card looks like this:

Morrowind A J
AoW 2 Q
Eu3 3 K
Dominions 4 Jo
Sims 5
Diablo 6
AoE 7
Summoner 8
Civ IV 9
Grimoire 10

Whenever I don't know what I want to play, I shuffle the deck and play whatever card I draw. When I'm done with that game, I cross it off and draw another card until I've either gone through the whole list or I add a new game and have to start over.

I get through most of my jrpgs by playing them on handhelds. I'm able to squeeze in 30 minutes here, an hour there, and it adds up over time. Playing at home, I made it a rule to only play them in large chunks when I had a lot of free time. Of course, you should only play games you want to, not games you feel you have to play.

I don't know how I do it, but I have always played 3+ games at a time. If I get tired of one, I play another until I get an itch to go back. Helps if you have a good memory, though sometimes I forget what is happening in a game and it really kills my mood for the game.

I just stayed in the areas with metal slimes and grinded until I got to a high enough level. When you get to the metal slime kings, it takes less then an hour to jump 10 levels.

That's an interesting little method user.

I usually play one game until I stop caring about it, then I just move on until I find a game that really sucks me in. Then I play it until I can't stand it anymore.

Sometimes I'll cycle back to games I really enjoyed but played to death a few years later and sink my teeth back into them.

I can always come back to a good game. But I never could return to a specific playthrough before I started doing this.

Faggot, get on our level.

You're all alone. Nobody here is your friend.

fuck off weeb