EXCESSIVE WORLD BUILDING IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR WRITING A GOOD STORY

Well that was unsatisfying. I was going to beat this then go on to FF 15 but I don't think I want to play another Hajime Tabata game. Fabula Nova Crystalis was a bad idea and it's pretty much killed this franchise. IDGAF about Crystals, L'Cie, Fal'Cie or Agito or any of that dumb shit. Why not just write a good story with heroes and villains in a world that makes sense without referring to a goddamn 1000 page in-game codex?

If I hated Type 0 is there any chance I'll like FF12?

Why do you type like such a fag?

12 has a metric shit ton of world building and made up bullshit, and the story is genuinely incomplete.

But the characters are pretty fun. All five of them: Basch, Balthier, Fran, Ashe, and Penelo.

Oh and Reddas, too. That dude was pretty cool. Guest character though he was.

Why can't you make an argument?

wreck yourself casul

Well I think you've answered my question, thanks :(

Don't do that

You need to leave

Once again, OP never fails to prove that he is a faggot.

You played a FF game and are now upset you didn't get a good story?

This can be one of those cases where the writer and game director are not on the same page. There are times where the writer has to make sense of everything that has happened in the game instead of the game's plot being made around what the writer wrote for the world. Of course, what the writer makes may not be beneficial for gameplay and vice versa. An easy way for the writer to deal with this is through in game logs. Now they can manage the story the way they wanted and not fuck with the gameplay. Problem with this is that it's completely out of the way of the game and just seems like something separate. Instead of being 2 themes, story and gameplay, combined into 1 product. It's 2 different themes slapped onto a disc and only one of them took priority.

All that aside, making a good memorable story isn't that easy. Think of how many games had a great story and then think of how many of those games told a story only video games could unlike any other medium. A story told through gameplay that is. Not just through cutscenes and audio logs. Honestly I can't think of many. My example would be Castlevania 4. Where you fight Dracula until the sun rises. You're not able to kill him. Just keep him from going to sleep or running away as this daunting music plays. You keep hitting him to the point that his face is a skull yet he keeps fighting. I think something like that was really well done.

user, you are the best poster on this thread. My (3) and I thank you.

She definitely is the best 2hu and I'm glad she's getting more works for C92. I just wish more Non-H stuff was translated.

∧_∧  / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄       (;´Д`)< Sorry for taking so long to clean the trash  -=≡  /    ヽ  \______________.      /| |   |. | -=≡ /. \ヽ/\\_    /    ヽ⌒)==ヽ_)= ( ( ( ) ) )-=   / /⌒\.\ ||  ||  (u ´Д`)←OP  / /    > ) ||   ||  (    ) / /     / /_||_ || と_)_) _. し'     (_つ ̄(_)) ̄ (.)) ̄ (_)) ̄(.))             oノ             |  三 _,,..-―'"⌒"~⌒"~ ゙゙̄"'''ョ  ミ゙~,,,....-=-‐√"゙゙T"~ ̄Y"゙=ミ    L__i__T  |   l,_,,/\ ,,/l  |      ゚ ゚,.-r '"l\,,j  /  |/  L,,,/,,/|,/\,/ _,|\_,i_,,,/ /_V\ ,,/\,|  ,,∧,,|_/

I wanna stab OP to death with broken CDs uwu

The thing with the recent FF games is the gameplay is a fucking slog, which feeds into whatever flaws there are in the story full disclosure, I haven't actually played an FF game since whichever one Lightning debuted in, and even there I stopped before even getting off disk one because it played that badly

World building is great if all you're doing is building a sandbox. Figuring out how and why things work together in a make believe alchemy/machine way is pretty fucking comfy.
But if you're going to make a narrative game, like the Final Fantasy series turned in to, the plot best be the third most important thing. Gameplay should always come first. And plot is only something that happens to characters. If you don't have characters worth a damn then the best plot in the world is going to fall on deaf ears because who wants to know what happens to people you don't care about.

Worldbuilding > Plot

Type-0 and XII are some of the best FF games because of this, if you want a story focused game then play a western movie "game".

Also

No, fuck you. Encyclopedia entries are no replacement for a good story with characters you care about. Why should I give a fuck about the gameworld and its history if every NPC I meet is a poorly written turd?

Look at you strawmanning like a retard.

What's the second thing? Knowing this place it would be waifus.

You complain about my argument and then make a shitty one yourself, Vaan is the only poorly written character in both those games, and I think he makes a better hero than most FF heroes.

Characters are the second most important thing. Well, in fiction they're the most important thing, but we're talking about vidya so gameplay is the most important thing.
Waifus would count as characters so you weren't far off.

Waifus are just fictional women that a person has a crush on, which the bar is pretty low to do, all you have to do is make them not ugly and not act like a cunt.

Considering 99% of 3DPD women in the world fail at it I'd say that is quite a challenge.

S U I K O D E N

I think it's a little more difficult than that, at least if you want your waifu to be memorable or at least recognizable. You can't simply make her moe and not a cunt, you have to design her in such a way she'll stand out from the rest of the pack and give her a personality that can't be described as Tsundere #585858.

I'm not. The answer is very simple, women are not beaten nearly enough and are constantly told they are people. That's how they get funny ideas in their heads and start acting out.

Princess daisy disagrees. She's never had a role after super mario land beyond filling the roster in mario party and sports games. She was a literal fucking pallet swap of peach in mario tennis.

That's called an oppai loli. Also I wouldn't call that a kid's body. She clearly has developed hips in that image. Probably teenage.

Would this apply to adventure games as well? Usually the best thing about those is everything else besides the gameplay which is just a small way to get to all the other content instead of most genres where all the content is meant to compliment the gameplay. With something like FF, most of them pretty basic gameplay where the games are pretty easy (except for FF3 DS but for all the wrong reasons) and don't have much depth. Meanwhile the story is usually what people remember the most in these games. If the gameplay was that complex, it would push away casuals. However if the story isn't good, then casuals don't have much of a reason to keep playing. If the plot isn't good then they also don't feel much of a reason to check if the world building is good. Though good gameplay can keep some playing long enough to see that.

So for what FF is trying to do, maybe gameplay isn't the biggest thing they should focus on since they're going for the biggest audience possible while not trying to add much depth. Therefor they need a story to carry the game but not a story too bizarre or complex for people. For example, there are people who thought the movie Inception was deep and couldn't comprehend the concept of having sub dreams to the point that people had to make charts to break it down for others.

WHY HAVEN'T YOU TAKEN THE TRASH OUT YET

go back to /a/ avatarfagging scum

Most 2D women aren't even like real people for the most part. Not in the sense of not being shitty, but they are made from a certain cloth and then given features. They're Tsundere #585858 and then given some flaws or features to make them different. It's not like you get a character and then can vaguely fit them into an archtype if you analyze them enough. Like characters in Satoshi Kon works. And when a character does get flaws, they're mainly there to make a girl moe instead of showing what they can develop past.

Thinking of it now the main thing AAA companies does isn't relying on story. Instead it's filling the game with a bunch small content that doesn't really amount to anything. Instead of having actual depth, it's a mass amount of small content to disguise the lack of depth. Then the story is lazily slapped onto an open world that follows a linear path.

World building is only a problem when it's boring world building.

I love the casual world building in Monster Hunter International where characters mention past jobs (like clearing out ghouls attracted to World War 1 mass graves or getting shot in the groin during a race against the Soviets to claim Hitler's secret occult bunker). With just one and a half sentences it establishes both the character's being experienced and gives the sense of a much larger world .

The only big issue I have with Type-Zero is needing to play the game multiple times for shit to make sense, was a hell of a lot more fun than XIII.

FNC failed because it tried to replace real, organic archetypes with fakey-fake made up ones.

Who the fuck will care about your shitty OC donut steel universe if the plot isn't good? This is the problem with modern Sci-fi/Fantasy movies, they focus to much on the premise and the background and completely phone it in with the characters and actual plot

I don't even give a shit about FF user, I came into this thread just to say you're a fucking retard

One of vidga games strength is world building, and that's because, well you have to make a world first to have a video game. How ever like people have said in this thread most people will not care because the writing as a whole will be rather shit in the first place. I bet the ones that do only care tangentially if they're interested in the gameplay in the first place.

Personally I had far more issue with the boring corridor dungeons than the alternative missions.
Also fuck the tower of Agito. I kind of made it through the tonnberries, but I just gave up on the courls and blaster spam area.
Its not even that hard as much as it is tedious as hell.

Type-0 was also originally on the vita in nip land so these problems probably come from that, they made it have a forced replayability to make it "larger" even with limited hardware.

WHAT A HORRIBLE TIMELINE TO BE ALIVE IN

i really hate stories about jap teenagers saving the universe

It was on the PSP.

oh yeah my bad

Gameplay is still extremely important since that's how you get to everything else.
Even in games otherwise carried by story looking at you, Yoko Taro The gameplay is at least engaging enough to keep you in there until the story hooks you.
They also don't make you play through half a disk's worth of content before you know what the hell the protagonists even are.

it can be, just play dark souls 1 or diablo. barely any story, but a great world and great games both.
although, those games dont have "excessive" world building, just good worldbuilding.

Gameplay>Sound Effects=Music>Graphics>>>Lore>Story.

I think a good story can still save a game with mediocre gameplay. However great gameplay will make me not give a shit if the story is bad. For me, a good plot is icing on the cake.

These comparisons never make sense because it's dependent on genre. Story and lore aren't important in a rhythm game but are vital in an adventure game. Roguelikes don't need sound effects, music, nor good graphics (unless this counts UI which they need a good UI) but they rely heavily on gameplay and maybe lore.

But what if there's both good world building and a good story? Obviously not talking about anything related to Final Fantasy.

There is still a floor though, a point where a game is just good enough that relatively unimportant things like story can make it stand out from its peers.