ITT: Cult Classics worth paying

ITT: Cult Classics worth paying

one shameless bump..

EVO is fantastic. Becomes cuhrazy in the last few acts.

Go away, Todd.

I play it to the end (+ the mission pack) at least once a year.

Part of the reason for paying for something is an incentive: "hey, company X, I like what you're doing, keep doing it." But if the devs don't even exist anymore, what's the point?

Don't forget that fucking maze once you are able to fly.

I'm sorry user. I'm retarded and forgot the "l"

WORTH PLAYING

mario strikers

That's not a cult classic you stupid nigger.

SHAKE SHAKE

in more ways than one.

Rudra especially needs some playing. Does it even count? I don't know of any other Rudra fans.

How much you will consider Dark Legacy/Legends as cult classic ?

Tons of people played Gauntlet games and they were heavily advertised.

Just because no one talks about them anymore doesn't make them cult classics, I'm surprised at how many stupid niggers here can't understand this.

Played it for the first time 2 years ago as my first Metroid game ever and I fucking loved it

Illusion of Gaia has nothing on this

Get the fuck out of here and stop shilling this fucking shit. Fucking looks and plays the inside of a leper's scrotum

Rudra is actually pretty awesome, it's ine of the few RPGs that tries to do something different while introducing a plot development system that was later used in Wild Arms. I don't get why this and Romancing Saga, which both did pretty unique and intuitive things always get swept to the wayside to the likes of that shitstorm called Final Fantasy.

This is one of the most popular games for the system, do you not know what a cult classic means?

No one in this thread does, see:

Not Live A Live that's for sure what a fucking disappointment

Pffft, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is more of a cult classic than Skyrim ever will be.

this one I'm going to call fair game since relatively few people have actually played the original Unreal.
UT was much more popular and along with Q3 cemented FPS as a multiplayer-centric genre (a pity, as they heralded the fall of decent SP in FPS)

the SaGa series is kind of Square's testing ground. The lack of direction starting in RS is intimidating to say the least.
translating and reimplementing Rudra's spell system (which theoretically could have been runes of some variety) took fans years to do

fuck you Enix. Depriving the US of the grand finale to series

All of em

Da fuck nigger?

OP is lowkey trying to get us to pay for old games he's been stockpiling and price gouging on ebay.

What the fuck does anyone really think this ? Imo games were at their best during the 2000s before going to shit in the 2010s, at best the last 90's had lots of good games too.

The entire Breath of Fire series.

>>>/africa/

Didn't both those game finally get English translations this year?

Rudra has been translated for years courtesy of AGTP. The most recent revision came out in 2015

Der Langrisser has a full translation from Byuu and D as of at least 2012

Really miffs my mittens that the new Mario game looks like it's ripping off Space Station Silicon Valley so blatantly and no one will ever care.

Speaking of the SaGa series, it really is a shame that SaGa Frontier is so unfinished. It's still one of my favorite PS1 RPGs, but I don't think there's a single story that didn't have noticeable cut content. As a result, it all feels strangely disjointed and uneven.

indeed
they also cut an entire character's story. Fuse's story was supposed to tie the other 7 stories together

Isn't it basically just the exact same thing as Kirby though? Just with a hat instead of eating stuff? I don't see why people think this is new or innovative in the slightest.

Kirby's powers don't necessarily change his fundamental movement, except for like 3 or 4, and work more like powerups than a temporary character swap. Also getting hit doesn't knock you out of the swap in Space Station.

If you think about it, Kirby is just a rip off of Kid Chameleon with a chibi aesthetic.

Phantasy Star 1-4

Oh wow I just checked and although the first Kirby game released before Kid Chameleon, it was the second game that introduced enemy power stealing and that was released a year after KC.

Recently played Rudra
I dropped it
The story was so fucking rushed and I had 0 interest in it. 0. the gameplay was enjoyable but the story was "go from A to B because THIS ENEMY SUDDENLY APPEARED JUST DO IT" and then when you reach there "HI THIS IS HAPPENING GO HERE JUST DO IT"

I don't know maybe eye-patch kun's story is just shit

Just because he has multiple powers? KC didn't steal the enemy's powers, so it's different. I recall the first game that did that power-stealing thing was Megaman. Now, that was just the bosses, but one that had constant power-stealing was Gaiares.

Blast corps, albeit unique, is easily skippable and nothing of value would be lost.
TS2, Rocket Knight, musashi, are all must-plays however.
Silicon Valley is a nice experience, but I wouldn't say must-play

Now I know what to play next. Im gonna beat Musashi, something i never did as a kid

Maybe because Square learned that Final Fantasy is an easy sell (out here anyhow; I know it's popular in Japan too, but still) due to long standing name recognition, and is they find it an easy decision to push compared to other games? Though of course, as far as the west is concerned, Square wouldn't even bring Treasure of the Rudras over (though to be fair, it was a pretty late SFC title, and I've heard it took a fair bit of reworking on AG's end just to get the Mantra system feasible with English), and SaGa, Romancing SaGa subseries in particular, Square wouldn't bring over until the PS2 remake of the first game, and have only considered doing so for the latter two RS games once those got phone remakes in Japan. In general though, SaGa seems to have been a series Square's been fairly iffy on bringing west (no SFC Romancing SaGas, DS remakes of SaGa 2 and 3, PSN rereleases of SaGa Frontier 1 and 2, or SaGa: Scarlet Grace out here). Between that, and how to my knowledge it's not the easiest series for people to get into, I can see how it would get "swept aside", at least out here. Faggot reviewers perhaps not helping matters either (RS PS2 having apparently gotten mostly middling scores from big name groups, with some of the more specialized ones, like RPGfan, giving it between an 8 and a 9).

Given AG's (or perhaps more of Zhi himself's) tendency's lately, are the 2.X patches for that (and Live-a-Live) worth using over the earlier ones? I recall the update notes mentioning script revisions, so I've been worried as to what that might entail. I'd double check to be more accurate, but the AG site is apparently dead for the time being due to a MySQL error.

There's a 60 mHZ patch for the PAL ROM these days. But yeah, it's both funny and sad that they closed their NA branch prior to that game, only to reopen in fifth gen for the PS1.

I got bored after the dinosaur age thing. I think I was supposed to evolve to a mammal and then a monkey afterwards, right?
My favorite evolution was my dragon looking sea reptilian, after that everything was kinda boring.

Why do you niggers keep posting games that were POPULAR when they came out.

that's when most people get bored but you're almost there user. there's only 5-6 chapters.

BoF was never popular in the west

Further down the rabbit hole we go. Are there any earlier instances of the enemy power stealing concept out there?

Thanks but that was years ago, probably lost my save file

Nigger, just because they didn't a gazillion copies like CoD doesn't mean it didn't have an audience here. If you play JRPGS, you know about BoF.

Holla Forums literally is dumb nigger territory in how you comprehend the English language.

I'd imagine the whole thing was inspired by Paradroid, which was a pretty damn big hit when it came out.

I don't think you're very bright, user.
Only those in the niche interest (niche back then) knew about it.
The big mainstream that likes Zelda and Mario never did. It was not popular.
Either way, it is safe to say it is niche now, making it potential cult classic territory since it is dead mainstream-wise and only those who fervently enjoy videogames/JRPGs know the series.

The last boss and the last chapters are really fun. it's when it gets hard.
At least check em out on youtube or something. Not the same, but you get an idea what you missed.

Good taste,
Oh, I almost agreed with you.

Personally, I'd put Breath of Fire's popularity on level with, say, Wild Arms. It's not all that popular, but at the same time isn't exactly obscure either (especially with Breath of Fire being Capcom developed, though they haven't exactly tried to keep the series relevant via Capcom Vs. or whatever for further promotion). For comparison, I'd say the likes of Shadow Hearts (especially the earlier entries, namely Koudelka and SH1) and Ar Tonelico have been a lot more prone to being underplayed at the time, and remaining somewhat obscure even now. And that's not counting one-off games like Tsugunai, or series where the sheer bulk weren't brought overseas (Glory of Heracles) or in some cases even fan-translated (Metal Max still only has two games in English). Just my thoughts though.

Really enjoyed Koudelka myself. I suppose it's not for everyone and has some honest flaws (namely the loading), but I still think it could have been given more of a chance from critics, who looking back seem to have treated it rather harshly (and enough so to get Kikuta to quit the industry for five years).

Aw yiss

I think Earthworm Jim might be too popular to be called a cult classic but it's still a great game.
Honorable mention to The Tick for Genesis/Megadrive because it starts off real good but then it turns into endless hoards of enemies. It really needed more great breaks in between the fighting like the roof climbing and telephone wire tight-walk segments.

This game was hard as balls

I honestly don't understand ToeJam & Earl. You walk around and collect shit? Best version of EWJ is the Sega CD hand down. But overall EWJ 2 on snes is a bit more fun imho.

Meme free game

thats because it played like total shit
good game otherwise though

If for some reason you haven't already.

Odd company there, really. Not sure how they can manage to do both pretty decent English translations for some games yet completely abysmal ones for others (Muramasa Wii, Lux-Pain). And then of course there's other issues, like not budgeting properly, resulting in shit like Arc Rise Fantasia's absolutely horrendous English dub (or so I've heard), or some prints of Nostalgia having a game ruining bug. Maybe they've got different teams there? Not real sure.

Better than Secret of Mana to be honest.
The music also came from a time where Jeremy Soule had a soul

The fuck? Most of the games ITT are super popular, not cult.

Anyways, here's the first good metroidvania game.

When I win the lottery, I will move to india, buy a lot of codemonkeys, find some talented painters and get the ball rollin.

Game will be globally shunned for being autistic and overly complicated, the engine will be praised for years to come.

Full scale, full control, full micromanagement. Brutal economy, heavy logistics. Absolute war.

Jagged Alliance 3.

Coming as soon as hell freezes over.

No nigger, you weren't alive when BOF came out, nor do you understand how sales work. Nigger we even got the GBA ports. Europe got the PSP port of BOF 3, which Sony rejected for American release purely because of a stupid policy.
And just how do you know Nintendo fans didn't buy up copies of BOF 1 and 2.
You have autistic perception of popularity you nigger. Not selling 10 billion copies =/ unpopular and "niche"

Fuck you and kys

It isn't, so you shouldn't have posted it you fucktard.

Why is this board so fucking stupid and filled with retarded underage niggers?

You're not very smart. But not because of that.

GBA ports take nothing to make. It was incredibly cheap to port shit. Nintendo did it with SMB2, 3, Yoshi's Island, etc. Even games like earthworm jim got GBA ports because it was so cheap it was worth a risk taking. Stating "b-b-but it had a port!" is by no way a counter-argument. apply yourself with actual rebukes instead of name-callings.

I will state that BoF definitely got enough profit to announce sequels, but BOF was non-existent in the west/north america, let alone south america. Are you european or aussie? maybe it was popular there.

Either way it does not matter. It's a dead IP now, current demographic doesn't even know it exists, ergo it can be defined as part of the cult classic tier, or at the very least jrpg underdog, especially the first two which were much less popular than 3 or 4.

The maximum you will get is stating it is not cult classic tier in japan, where it is more known, but in the west it can definitely be considered not very well known.

You're the only one making it in a dichotomy of "if its not 10million its not popular" by the way. No one is stating that but you. You're the one putting words in people's mouths. No one stated is niche because it didn't reach mainstream /popular sales. Stop pulling shit out of your ass.

The one who needs a rope is you. Please stop posting anytime.

Said port finally got brought to America a year or two back (I think), albeit PSN only. For some reason they deigned that version to be alright to put on the NA PSN, but the PS1 original is still absent. But yeah, that was a pretty silly policy regarding PSP ports and potential for them to come west. Tales of Eternia could have certainly used another day in the spotlight out here (especially if it had been Namco handling it; Ubisoft picked it up in EU and botched at least one print) given how poorly it sold when it came here on the PS1, but either Namco didn't think it was worth bringing over here again, or Sony blocked it for not having enough new/changed content. Oh well, not like that matters much these days with ease of PSP piracy and CFW.

Capcom also opted to be horrifically cheap with the GBA ports, especially BoF II, given that they didn't see fit to improve the English scripts, despite Breath of Fire II's prior SNES English script being notoriously poor.

Here's a timeless classic that should be played by every user. Full stop. Still creepier and more enjoyable than every subsequent survival horror game that derived from it.

It's the only jrpg i know of that I mainly played for the gameplay. I just want someone to try it again but while giving a shit about story.

Custom Robo Battle Revolution. That and Arena are really fun and don't get played enough. I'd suggest the Japan only releases but to my knowledge there isn't a translation for them, and BR was a direct upgrade from them anyway.
Sage for double posting.

That's some quality butthurt son

digital devil saga 1 and 2 is absolutley worth playing, even if you only play for the soundtrack.

I 100%d this

kind of an interesting concept that I haven't seen in other titles, you get to see more and more of the ending the higher % of completion. kind of cool

my submission

the one game to rule them all

IWD

don't forget the heart of winter and trials of the luremaster expansions, yes expansions not DLC

This game was too pure for this world.

That series IS a cult classic. Even the music was top notch.

Nigger, fuck you.

how the fuck could i forget these

My nigga

Downloaded it awhile a go after someone on here talked about the gameplay. Probably gonna be awhile before I go on my Snes binge and play it but it has me interested.

Still play this with my dad when I come over to visit him and my mom. Never gets old.

Also Gauntlet IV is my eternal nigga. Used to play this with my grandma, she fucking kicked ass in the Quest Mode and finished it start to finish without dying once or upgrading equipment.

Might have been a cool thread but OP was a fag. EVO is neither a cult game nor a classic.

Absolutely excellent taste user, but why emulate ds games?

Muh brother of another mother!

Certainly glad I took the suggestion some years back and played Ghost Trick. Fantastic game; not sure how much it's actually been played beyond online communities knowing about it though. I've seen it locally all of twice (once when it was a current release, and once last year). I had to get my copy online.

Can't speak for TWEWY, but I know some games, namely the 3D ones, can have the screen limitations removed in emulation and thus look much better visually there than they did on the DS itself.

It's a pretty underrated, little known and excellently localized fantasy themed action platformer.

Pick one

which one? there were like 3 versions for different consoles/PC 98

Not all in that group shot but a few

Sega CD, of course.

Sissy man punky chops confirmed. I bet you didn't even take any cherries.

Now I want to make a mod for stalkan that changes the bloodsucker sounds for Zoidberg ones.

Doom, Doom2, Doom64, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Dark Sun, Twinsen's Odyssey, Golden Axe, Dune 2, and the list goes on.

Also I want to say PE 1 and 2 as well due to it having a niche popularity in it's time period. Also the criminally under-fucking-rated Chrono Cross.

Secret of Evermore blows that shit out of the water completely.

That's just a shitty American ROM hack of Secret of Mana.

Dragon's Trap and WBiMW are the best, fuck MW4 waifufags. Land is also breddy good but too short.

Is the Enhanced Edition pozzed?

The Glory of Heracles series

WBiMW is perfection. It really depresses me when that game or the series in general usually get overlooked here.

I have the DS game I picked up from a bargain bin, but tbh I haven't really touched it. Is it really any good?

Pretty sure Mr. Gimmick has cult status.
Actually I have no idea what determines that.

the newer rudra patches don't poz anything if that's what you're worried about. Whatever his political beliefs are, he tends to leave them out of the translation projects.
Script revisions are usually spellchecking and unfound text strings. And the most recent patch mainly fixes a stack overflow thing

cult status: a solid game with a lasting and dedicated fanbase that was not particularly popular at time of release
may overlap with sleeper hits, which sell poorly at release but keep on selling with time instead of lasting for a 2 month window

the DS game is Glory of Heracles 4
it's pretty good. In case you were wondering about a canon name for the hero, it's Icarus

I think the combat is neat, it is a mixture of other systems and mechanics rather than being wholly original, but the mix is fun.

at first blush it seems so because of a female dwarf in the first tavern who bitches you out if you think she's male due to her beard.
However, this is in the original, and female dwarves do have beards in the forgotten realms setting

Aww hell ya. Although I like Langrisser 2's OST better these games are my jam (of the 16 bit era). Great style, sound, gameplay, and story. I would add some PCE games too but that was 8bit, technically.

I beat the PCE one and played the SNES and SegaCD one. It's cool, but I will be the first to admit it is very primitive and boring to someone that doesn't like that period of anime.

I'll keep it on my backlog

No, it is not. The DS game is the fifth main game, albeit an unnumbered entry (subtitled "Proof of Soul" in Japan) both here and in japan, perhaps due to the fourteen year gap between the fourth game and it's releases. Though GoH IV did see a complete fan-translation a while back, meaning all the games are now in English (as far as I'm aware).

Good to know. Same with Live-a-Live's 2.X?

I remember reading the manual for that game over and over, but I never played the game.

i'd like to venture that if anyone hasn't played these, they should leave and do so. classic.

Funnily enough it's a better romhack than Evermore ever was..

Mana*
Time for bed.

makai kingdom was better than disgaea
disgaea was the same shit over and over gameplay-wise after 2.

How do you play Dark Legacy/Legends these days? I don't have the consoles anymore and I'm fucking years behind on the emulation shit.

Niggers who don't know what "cult classic" means. I mean holy fuck one of you had Chrono Trigger in there. You couldn't have dropped a more common Holla Forums game there other than Deus Ex or Doom itself.

my fucking nigger

EVO has a cult following my dude. You are wrong.

Now that is some obvious bait. 1/10 you tried

None of those besides Dark Sun and Twinsen are "cult classics" you fucktard

muh tron lines

Nigga, I used to own that game back in the 90s ordering it from the mail catalog in the back of EGM after one of the EGM2 issues showed out fun sexy Mail. Played it many times up until a scratch on the disc caused it to error with each screen change.

10/10 visuals
10/10 soundtrack
10/10 atmosphere
5/10 gameplay

I liked Soul Blazer more than Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, the later lost it's charm after chapter 3, at least for me.

Kamui is pretty good, but I thought the final boss was quite bland compared to Reflex's, both games got pretty good soundtracks.

I recommend checking out Brain Lord to anyone looking for a topdown action adventure game, the worldbuilding and the characters aren't really interesting but the dungeons and the music are nice.

your faggotry is why shill means fucking nothing now

he's just mad about the greatest console of all time.

My niggas. MW4 isn't that bad, but it's a huge step back in terms of gameplay, level size, and depth. It's insanely linear too.

mein schürfer

That second game has some great box art

Just looked this game up on Youtube, it looks and sounds like a horror version of X-Men 2 Clone Wars. Even has some of the same sound effects. Any other Sega games that are clones in this line?

I thought Kamui's last boss was awesome, since it is the culmination of the whole trilogy: the end of humanity and the world, the last confrontation beween Panafill and her father before she puts him out of his misery.
You mean, bland in terms of gameplay?

Yes, I liked Kamui's mechanics more than reflecting stuff in Reflex, but I thought the later had a better final boss.

Your food reserves are dwindling, M'lord.

EVO is a shitty game made by one of the bigger developers at the time for the SNES. Everyone knew about it then and they know about it now. It's not cult and it's definitely not classic.