Without factoring in the story, voice acting, or any thing other than pure game play...

Without factoring in the story, voice acting, or any thing other than pure game play, what game would you consider the best?
Hard mode: No Doom
Extra Hard mode: Nothing from before the year 2000
Pic related is my contribution

That's a pretty stupid fucking way to judge a game, but I think I'd go with Quake 3 CPMA or Tribes. Thief 1/2, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory are also on the block.

How so? The only important part of a video game is its gameplay.

The most important thing in a game is how good the game is.
And that's made up from a bunch of different factors.

Playing this for the first time right now co-op. It is best only if you can factor out the retarded story and dialogue.

Because a video game isn't purely about the game, there's dozens of different factors which make the whole product. Level design, game design, programming, performance, graphics, sound design, visual design, character and environment modelling, animations, voice acting, motion capture, writing and a bunch of other shit. Any game would be objectively worse if it had flat color textures, no animations, 20 polygon models and no music, sound or voice acting. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is considered the best in the series, and why it is that way is because of the amazing physics, lighting engine, graphics, attention to tiny details like Sam reaching for his knife if an enemy gets too close, great voice work and sound and environment sound design, if you took out the banter between Sam and Grim or they had shitty voice actors or writing, the game would be a lot less memorable and hence, worse.

Fucking this?
Core gameplay is top tier.

Only judging gameplay is not the best way to judge a game, but it's certainly something to consider. There are plenty of games that are meant to be judged solely through their atmosphere, like Silent Hill 2, or Stardew Valley. Shit where the game play is pretty unimpressive, but the game is still great. There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a look at game that do one single aspect amazingly. In fact, what's the point of appreciating games without looking at each part individually?

level design, game 'design' and arguably performance gotta hit 60fps
is part of the umbrella package that is gameplay.

I do agree, having music, sound, nice visuals are elements that make up a good game. But a good game always consists of good gameplay, that is one factor that you can't detract from a game.

the dramatic majority of which is gameplay

Not true.
Shit like Deus Ex, Myst, Metal Gear, every RPG ever made, is considered good because of its story or other factors.

Damn good game

Core gameplay being the most important factor does not mean it's the only thing that matters. This should not be a difficult concept to grasp.

Either or, I can't decide.

Between the two, definitely MGS3

The dramatic majority of what makes a gam good is gameplay. Some game, like JRPGs, instead have stories so good, no one cares about lackluster/decent gameplay. If you want a thread about grea game stories regardless of gameplay, go fucking make one.

Nigger, as I said that's not true.
And I'm just responding to the faggot that says that gameplay is the only important thing.

If gameplay the only thing that matters, why games like SOTN or Deus Ex considered top tier? They have pretty shit gameplay.

i would replace prototype with incredible hulk, you play mostly prototype for the edge over the gameplay, imo.

I don't deny that, but he made it sound like that only judging gameplay is the way to go. My favorite game of all time is Deus Ex, and that game wouldn't be very good if it didn't have an amazing story and was purely about gameplay. I think everything else all together is more important than just having good gameplay, if the game has good graphics, good story, good music, so on and so forth, but shit gameplay, that's more important to me than just having good gameplay but shit everything else. Doom wouldn't be a very good game if it had bad music, since the music made a boring level exciting. You can have a bad game, but if everything else is good, most people will probably still enjoy it (see: deus ex). You can have a good game, but if everything else is bad, then it's probably a shit game (see: fallout 4).
You mentioned that level design is apart of gameplay, and I think I disagree on that. Gameplay is shit with bad level design, I don't think level design falls into the package of gameplay and is instead a very important lego piece in the structure that is connected to the gameplay.
Or at least that's my opinion. I don't give a shit if you disagree. The "muh gameplay and ONLY gameplay" fags are probably the worst of the worst on this board. The type of people to lose their shit when you say that a game has good story.

Prototype falls into a new genre of game no one has coined a term for yet. Dishonored, Asscreed (2 and brotherhood) and Protype all fall into a type of game that's not about the challenge, story, or other stuff. It's all about hodge-podging gameplay idea that are a bunch of fun, but they couldn't think of a great cohesive way to put them together.
Anyone have an idea for a name?

Stronghold

It's not really a new genre of game, Prototype is an open-world action/adventure game, Dishonored is a first-person stealth game, and Asscreed is a third-person action/adventure game series. The thing they share in common is that they're moderately experimental with their gameplay and to accommodate that they make up some bullshit for the game's setting. I think to lump them all together under one genre in an attempt to describe their experimentation as quickly as possible is a disservice to them.

I'm basically calling the wild experimentation itself a subgenre of games. Both Dishonored and Prototype have a fuckton of abilities of varying effectiveness, all of which are neat, but all of them are deserving as the prime gampleay hook of their own game, and each suffers from major balance issues. It's not BAD that they do this, but it's something I've only seen with more modern games. The game is beatable with basic, level one skills and they don't need these upgrades to beat the game. Older games requires each upgrade to be used all the time throughout the game, but this newer genre just has a lot of "fuckabout" options to have a lot of fun with.

It has better gameplay than any other AssCreed. The only thing that actually held it back was enemy design. If they invested time on the AI rather than making it a collect-a-thon, the game would actually be fun rather than nauseating. It's also the closest AssCreed has gotten to Hitman. Now they're making a Dark Souls clone because Ubisoft thinks that the biggest issues with Unity was performance and buginess upon initial release.

Completely agree, i liked how combat was way harder if you had any more than 2 enemies

Best

All of these.

You have the point too. If we only consider gameplay, then DooM.

But talking about gameplay purely is pointless. The story, the art design, pacing and replayability add a lot to a game. In case of a good game, the whole is more than the sum of parts.

My 3 nominations are

You're a retard if you think that. Would talking about only the story be pointless? We're stripping away all the extra bullshit from the discussion, and determining what makes a game the best game possibly.

The problem is that a significant amount of difficulty vanishes once you upgrade your weapons and armor. Most of this was caused by being able to switch weapons and armor on the fly rather than selecting them from your arsenal at a base, but there needed to be a lot of balancing to the actual stats. If one person had half a brain at Ubisoft and said "Hey, we should make an AssCreed where you just have a list of people who need to be assassinated in which you can complete in any order you so desire. Not all the people you need or want to kill are on the list, but if you do a little reconnaissance, you might find the information you need. Depending on the efficiency, stealthiness, and choice of target will drastically alter the difficulty of subsequent assassinations. Also, there are no missions with retarded stories, so all targets exists within the world with their own schedules, meaning that they can die by your hands to freak accidents you have no involvement with," then they'd might actually make the mistake of making a good fucking game.

I liked playing prototype as a soldier. I think it's a real shame that the zombie fad came and went without us ever really getting a game where you play as a solider at ground zero of an outbreak, trying to hold cordons, patrol yellow zones, deep strike into nests of infected, etc. It wasn't particularly deep in prototype but it was enough to some of the most fun I've had with a videogame, way more fun than playing as mercer was.

I don't think this is possible. Where does enemy variety or skill variety fall in? How about AI? They obviously affect gameplay, but are they gameplay themselves? What even is gameplay?

DMC4.

Sounds funs as shit.

I think gameplay might boil down to the sort of actions a player of the game takes. It's the way that a user performs the game.

Brutal Doom 64.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

But I said 64.
BD64 is good.

There's nothing wrong with any Brutal Dooms

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Yea I can agree with this

I like Warcraft 3, especially online. It's the only game I even like to watch on Twitch. MOBAfags should learn to play the real game instead of their hero-only practice mods.

But here is the answer if I had to give one. Enemy variety is nonexistent (though there is a bit of boss variety) and there can only be two on screen at once .AI is crap - they can't hit you if you stand above them. It's on the NES, so good graphics or voice acting are out of the question. Soundtrack is pretty average I think -except the first boss theme, which is great. Story is just generic save your girlfriend shit. So it's just pure beating people up with trashcans - and it's great fun.

2nd encounter was better :^)

Agreed, but only that they are not in the top tier.

exactly , pure gameplay , as per OP request