PS3 general

General because I need an excuse to use this thread as tech support.
Is PS3 softmoddable without use of any extra external hardware? I'm looking at this "idiot-proof" guide and it's saying you need fucking chips and soldering to get the job done (or at least to downgrade it to @FW 3.55):
hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PS3/FAT_DOWNGRADE_NAND.html
ps3hax.net/showthread.php?p=387584
I have my friend's PS3 right here and it was already softmodded, has multiman and Median installed, but it says it's still running CFW 4.80 [SC-35 / PL3] and is COBRA 7.20 compatible.
Problem is, the process to actually launch a game is seemingly overcomplicated:
Some games don't launch, some games don't save your progress and basic settings (Tekken 6), PS2 and PSX games don't work at all, even with the use of PS2 Classics Placeholder and PS2 Classics Manager (patching, encrypting, activating, transferring to internal storage, running off of USB… nothing works).
And that's without even getting into the convoluted process of transferring the game files from a computer to external hard drive to PS3 via Median's File Browser application (similar to Total Commander), which is primarily a media playback application…

I wanted to do my friend a solid and reinstall a CFW wit ha simpler solution or something because all of this felt way too fucking ridiculous (I'd already softmodded a PSP and finally managed to do the basic bitch softmod of a Wii).

Is there anything simpler than this or is this the end of the road?
Burnout 3 best burnout.

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/forums/ps3-hacking-homebrew.221/
4players.org/games/ps3/ps2-classics/
psdevwiki.com/ps3/CFW2OFW_Compatibility_List
archive.is/MHMS1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your problems are solved!

Whats a good price to buy one of these? I might try to buy one from ebay but I'm not sure whats a good buy.

~$50

I was looking for a PS3 Buying guide and I found this video, it's painful to watch.

The PS3 is a solid console, problem is finding one at a good price.

OK, I got webMAN to work and I'm able to load and launch games from the main Game menu now instead of going into separate channels/applications. I'm also able to launch PS2 games, but I can't actually play them. Burnout 3 gets stuck on an endless loading screen if I start a single race event and freezes/loops if I start a story crash event, Transformers turns into a shitty 5fps stardust screensaver and Resident Evil Survivor doesn't even want to be copied properly onto the internal HDD.
I picked the last two games because they were the lighter ones I could find on nicoblog.
And the console still overheats all the time, I'm using the greek Control Fan Utility.

Help?
Anybody?

Why not just emulate them on PC?

He doesn't have a strong enough PC to do it. I'm not looking for workarounds, I'm looking for a proper solution here.

gbatemp.net/forums/ps3-hacking-homebrew.221/
here op. start here, you'll get real advice rather than a bunch of soy-filled pc cucks.

Don't be afraid to solder, by the way. It's very easy, an adequate iron won't be very expensive, and it's a very important skill to learn.

Wow, fucking rude.

It's not that I'm afraid to solder, I've done it couple of times before to fix one of my current monitors. I'm kind of on a time and budgetary constraint. I wanted to do this guy a nice gesture, and I'm a bit afraid of fucking up his PS3 since neither of us are exactly swimming in disposable income. I thought this could all be solved with software and a USB key. Guess I was wrong.

I've been hunting down weird and unusual titles. This one here Puppeteer is a little masterpiece. A dark kid's story with unlimited visual creativity.

At release, reviews called it a clone of Little Big Planet and ignored it: kind of like they call every fantasy open world game a clone of Skyrim. Gameplay wise, it's just a platformer where you can also move a cursor around to activate stuff. The narrator delivery and the stages are amazing however, it's one of those rare kids games that don't treat the young like retards.

This one is underrated as hell. It can't be helped, the idea behind a game like Asura's Wrath is so fucking backwards that you can't believe it actually works.

It's a 3D hack & slash with shooter sections… but 90% of the game is actually cutscenes with QTEs. In short, a lasergame with benefits. The idea evokes all kind of shit, from things like Heavy Rain and other QTE fests: but this is actually a case of Japan being the only one able to do it good. Think of something like Deadly Premonition.

The story is where it's at: faggots from 2012 of course compared it to DBZ and Naruto, but it's actually more of a cross between Hokuto No Ken and Berserk. It's set in the aryan first civilization, where cyborgs of semi-divine status fight the enraged spirit of nature. Every single trope of old shonens is there and it's glorious. It even has a fair share of feels, played completely straight and not for some meta bullshit like in David Cage's.

I thought the thing that people hated about Asura's Wraith was the ending dlc.

Really whanna get this. But the dlc shit always sawed me away. Sonys online store is fucking garbage.

Is there a website where I can download PS2 classics for PS3?
Considering this version of a PS3 doesn't have native emulation, but can run shit off of the PSN store, it should be able to run PS2 Classics titles, right?
I've found this thing,
4players.org/games/ps3/ps2-classics/
but it hosts on MEGA and MEGA is fucked right now. Downloaded Burnout 3 from it and the archive was corrupted, can't redownload because of the "bandwidth limit".

Asura did nothing wrong, that's actually a case of Capcom shitting up everything. The dlc is an alternate ending, which extends the story with a glaring retcon, and supposedly was the idea for a scrapped sequel. But Capcom actually sold it with the tagline: pay up to see the REAL ending.

I can't say whether the scrapped sequel idea is just apologetic bullshit, but the retcon tells me this first game was never going to end like that. The material is great however, it's like Revengeance revving up unexpectedly in the finale.

buy the games? it's last gen stuff so it'll only get cheaper

Have people just given up on looking for later exploits, or was Sony extra secure in their later updates?
I just wanna pirate some PS3 games, but I'm poor as shit and can't afford a flasher.

You have system backup game injection and system transfer game injection with CFW2OFW for 4.70 and later.

Any guides for that? It's been a while since I've even played my PS3, so I may be under 4.70

Just be warned that's it's kinda shitty to deal with and I think you need 4.70
psdevwiki.com/ps3/CFW2OFW_Compatibility_List

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Maybe finally I can play Demon's Souls and Ni no Kuni.

Just dusted off my PS3 and checked my firmware. 4.81.

Fuck my life.

Sony is still updating the PS3. System isn't dead yet lad. Once it is this might be a more reasonable question to ask.

I justed dusted off my PS2 and PS3, got into shadow of Rome. The gladiatorial gameplay is the shit, the stealth gameplay is shit.
On another note, is lollypop chainsaw good? I might find it on sale nearby.

It's a fun game.
Worth it if it's only like $10

last console i modded was original xbox. looks like a complete pain in the ass. any archives of past threads for plebs?

forgot pic.

I'll post one in about 12 hours

Youre the dumbass OP that couldn't mod the Wii aren't you?

Well thats because you're using shitty PS3 emulation. Might as well emulate them on a PC mate, I'm running a CFW CECH-A PS3 so all the games run natively.

You know you can transfer data to the PS3 using an ethernet cable right? Its faster and more efficient.

patrician taste user. Missing a head and not being able to get to the secret areas is bullshit though.

just use psnstuff or psndl

appreciate it, even if you're trolling and are just going to post this thread. slept on ps3 and feels like i missed a lot of fun.

yes, but I did mod it at the end
CECHGxx here
fug
I was wondering where I stuck that bookmark

Thanks a bunch, have some shitty OC I made for Holla Forums.

honest to god, have an old thread archived where one guy was asking if it's worth buying a PS3 for 50 bucks he found online or something, eventually people started talking about softmodding and that same friend of mine (who's PS3 I'm currently butchering) had just gotten a ps3 of his own, so I saved it for posterity and some reference.

How are Killzone 2 / 3 and Resistance 1 / 2 / 3 compared to the "go to" sci fi shooter series Halo?

My brother is offering to give me his PS3 and a bunch of games including these, but if it's just COD tier console trash I'm not interested.

From what I've heard, Killzone is a series centered around a colony of people who literally did nothing wrong and are hunted down by the healthy asshole chads. A sad, sad story.
Resistance 1 and 2 are supposed to be run of the mill console shooters, but 3 is pretty much Half-Life all over again (according to yahtzee).

ITT: virgins too poor and beta to afford more than one console that they have to resort to console warring.

3 is actually a great shooter that is very much worth playing. killzone games are kind of shit to actually play.

Cheers for the feedback. Seems like I should steer clear then. Enough awesome games to play as it is without getting bogged down in shit.

They're worth it if you're not paying for it

told you I'd come through:
archive.is/MHMS1

its… just a blank picture
user, what were you trying to upload?

give it a minute to load?

Uh, user…

I'm not seeing anything either, must be a corrupted image or something.

?

Check your hard drive, shit's fucked.

I can see it, stop fucking with him.

See what? You stop fucking with him

It is obvious they are memeing. There's no reason for you to defend OP if he can't get that.

Its not really worth it. its heavily overhyped by chans with
while those exclusives are 90% normalfag shit

Just wait few more years for emulation which is making a leaps in progress.

see what? the blank image? everyone can see the blank image

Resistance 1 is pretty damn good, good concept, gameplay, lots of cool weapons. It has partial health regen where your health is divided into four chunks and you can't regenerate a chunk if you go below it. The weapons and being able to hold all of your weapons at once are the main draw of the game. 2 is a big downgrade and pretty generic. Most of the weapons are boring with one exception and you can only have two at once. It has fully regenerating health. 3 goes back to having pretty cool weapons and no limit on how many you can hold. It uses a weapon leveling up system similar to Ratchet and Clank but there's a lot of boring scripted bullshit and the story isn't very good at all. Health actually doesn't regenerate at all but if you die you're given back a pretty good chunk of your health anyway. 1 and 3 are definitely worth playing, especially 1, and if you're going to play them you may as well play 2 too since it's pretty short.