Can we have a talk about some FPS games with a good singleplayer campaign? AKA thinly veiled recommend thread

Can we have a talk about some FPS games with a good singleplayer campaign? AKA thinly veiled recommend thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

getcomics.info/?s=crysis
kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm still looking for anime diablo clone that isn't native to handheld console.
I tried both Shining Souls games and Soma Bringer and they just scream "I'm a portable game" at me with their terrible control schemes, inventory designs and limited skill/build varieties.

Also while both shining soul games look beautiful, soma bringer looks like shit.
Who though that making 3D games for 240p was a good idea?

Why dont you ask for a RTS game while you are at it.

I liked XIII

pic unrelated

Because I don't like RTS.
Also japanese indie scene is full of weird and unconventional shit, sometimes with stupidly high production values, so maybe there is something there, but how am I supposed to find it I don't know.

Duke Nukem Forever.

Theres a Gundam Diablo clone can't remember the anme though.
Pleb

I really fucking hope it's not another portable game with next to none functionality

Depends on the RTS

Blade and Sword is a chink setting Diablo clone. One of the anons here keeps recommending it, and while it's good, I haven't finished it.

RTS is a diverse genre.

If you like crazy shit and RTS, you gotta play Dawn of War, or that game where you build giant ass mechs.

Metal Fatigue?

Yeah, I actually do dislike that game because it's sorta broken.

My mech RTS/RTT is Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, Mech Commander 1 (better than the MW games) and SRW Scramble Commander the 2nd (for the PS2).

Timesplitters is here to save you, user. Just skip TS1

Any particular reason I'd want to emulate that over say replaying Soldier of Fortune? And no, I'm not versed in consolefaggotry so honest question.

You know I was going to recommend Space Beast Terror Fright, but after trying it out multiple times it's painfully clear that playing it be yourself is near impossible. It's a Left4Dead clone with no bots to assist you, which is a shame because it's actually a pretty good horror themed arcade styled game so you can just pick it up and play. But good luck beating it by yourself.

I can't play online either thanks to my ISP, so it's always terrible latency.

PC

Its a good game, but lots of fish at the sea for needing to emulate in my opinion.
Go play Requiem Avenging Angel, Turok, FarCry, Exhumed, Hexen/Heretic or Vivisector.

nah

That probably won't go so well. Or at least the PS2 version won't.

TimeSplitters is actually a fucking hilarious game with a stupid time travel plot that never takes itself too seriously. Future Perfect actually has a pretty fleshed-out campaign and is way better for it. The games are mostly focused on arcade missions and deathmatch-type game modes. They have a million ridiculous characters you can pick from, each with their own traits and stats (that you can disable), a ton of weapons (you can change the weapons players spawn with or find on the map), groovy jams, a bunch of maps (the game even has its own mapmaker), etc.

It's very obviously meant to be played with friends, but is definitely worth playing through on your own.

Theres also Space Hulk, which is mostly fixed and pretty decent despite the expected Streum On botcher launch.

IThey're fine via Gamecube emulation, but FP does require some tweaking to make everything work correctly.

1 emulates fine with a few minor graphics issues in PCSX2
2 emulates almost perfectly in Dolphin (only issue it has is the MP models of the splitter can do some weird shit with the blue flame effect)
FP emulates okay in dolphin needs some tweaking and you might randomly get hit with that one shitty bug where everything stutters even after you have the shader cache built up.

its actually a rather shitty console shooter

Have you actually played any FPS games from the mid-nineties?

Its the best sequel to GoldenShower we will ever get

The first and second Timesplitters were a spiritual successor to Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. If you liked those games, then you'll love those ones.

What the hell is up with that hud and the size of the gun? is the game intentionally trying to cover up as much screen space as possible?

I believe you can disable that in the options, I think it's to compensate for the fact that your shitty starting flashlight can't illuminate well and limit your field of view.

Try pic related.

This isn't /a/sspie, recommendation threads are fine.

this meme needs to die

Can you play as a Monkey in Soldier of Fortune? I didn't think so

FUCKIN' TITANFALL 2 RRREEEEEEEE

Its amazing. If you own a PS4 and dont need to use Origin. Its the most enjoyable fps single player since Metro 2033.

Its a monkeys paw that its amazing and normalfags avoided it, but that means its barely remembered already.

Might as well seeing that's the only one there I haven't played to death. Cheers.

Maybe for you but this one ain't doing shit for me.

How?
Why?
For what purpose?
何?

The alternative is to install origin.

Pick your poison. Are you going to be the guy that defends EA. Is that who you want to be today?

Motherfuckin' UNREAL. The campaign is very long and pretty challenging, and the visuals still holds very well after almost twenty years!

Yes, I would install fucking Mac OSX before I play a shooter on a controller.

unreal gold is great. feels like a journey

Objectively correct

You're an idiot.

FEAR
Amazing gameplay that is challenging, and makes you feel like a demigod at the same time. The slowmo combined with the dynamic lighting and the particle effects/normal maps make this game stand out even more. And it looks great too. The artstyle is unique, while it sticks to realism, it also doesn't have too many details and keeps the entire scene very easy to understand and react to.
Dirty areas look dirty and rancid, while clean ones look clean down to every last piece of dirt. This, coupled with the gore and the destruction after a fight just looks so damned great.
There is one scene in the first game where you walk through an area you have already fought in some time ago, and all the bodies remained in the pose they were when you left that area. I used a special weapon in that scene, which can staple your enemies to the walls, and it was gruesome to walk past the carnage I had caused. Every corner I jumped because I thought someone was standing there, but it was just the corpse of one of my foes. I know this is probably not something that was intended, but it really did work.
The game is actually scary at certain parts, especially extraction point can be absolutely hard to get though if you are easily spooked.

Everybody liked XIII, nobody ever made a game like it after wards.

Pretty sure the alternative is to not play a shitty console shooter famalam

Casual

PC titanfall 2 player here. Origin is a hellish nightmare of a drm service and trying to get into a game with friends is like reverse engineering itunes. Still, Titanfall 2 is worth it on console or pc; particularly now that Respawn added the long awaited horde mode and has made it a suprisingly compelling thing to spend time on. Especially if your like me and multiplayer has sort of lots its fun, granted I'm at the 300 hundred hour mark so the games doing something right.

lol

Timesplitters and Titanfall are decent but most of the fun is in the multiplayer/arcade modes, Titanfall especially has 0 replayability.
XIII is a good game, but very consolized. In the same vein you can find a game like NOLF which is way better.
Other good single player fps are Fear, Quake 1-2, Halo 1-3, Metro 2033, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Perfect Dark.
If you like tactical fps Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Raven Shield are great, SWAT 3 is great, and so is the first Ghost Recon.

Red Faction 1
Painkiller
Postal 2

Jesus fucking Christ
Every general that decently fast only harbors and attracts cancer, no doubt about that.

I'm looking for a game where I can go on a difficult, challenging and lengthy adventure, fucking up monsters, raiding dungeons, solving puzzles, gaining artifacts and fighting ancient evil bosses. Simply put I want something like Ys(not Zelda, while I like the series it's too easy and 2slow for my tastes and the bosses don't hold a candle) or Dragon's Dogma's lategame or even Dark Messiah.

I recommend
>Crysis haven't played the second yet but I've heard that while it's different it's pretty gud

Here, let me trigger you you fucking casual.
Trigen

Also I assume you've played FEAR, OP.

Are F.E.A.R. and Halo the ultimate nostalgiafag games? I have never played games so completely underwhelming that have such rabid fanbases who pretend that they are carefully created masterpieces.

I've been playing Halo recently and I can see why it feels very underwhelming, it seems to me like the type of game that was great at release.
FEAR in my opinion is great though. The firefights are intense, the slowmotion and melee makes for some cool ass shit, not one weapon(maybe the burst rifle as an exception) feels useless or boring to use(chunky dual pistols, heavy rifles that blow holes in concrete, powerful shotguns that can gib or turn people into mist, super dakka SMG, not to mention all the heavy weaponry), I geniunenly hadn't enjoyed myself so much in a game until the game decided to replace a cool final firefight or boss with some ultra cheap spooks.

Well I don't know about Halo, but it's nickname is baby's first FPS. FEAR is just a matter of an average game upon it's time overshadowing the garbage that exists now, also play it on higher difficulties without slowmo, good luck.

Just get the fuck out of here

It's not that they were all that amazing looking back at the entire genre. It's that they were basically the last time it peaked. Every other FPS since has been a fucking inferior rehash of one of these two titles or Painkiller.

I second this notion. Slowmotion-free FEAR is a blast.

I don't know, Halo's level design may feel too linear and bland compared to something like Quake, but the enemy design and ai is still top notch, and most of the weapons and vehicles are fun to use

Yes, 2 and 3 are quite consolized, but still pretty good. By the way, you have to read the comic to know what happened between 1 and 2. tldr: Nomad and Helena were killed by a CIA agent that had an old grudge with Prophet.

getcomics.info/?s=crysis

I bought the mall and I regret it with every fiber of my body.
Theres only one Crysis and its expansion pack.

Even the first Crysis and Far Cry are mediocre games at best, they are just glorified tech demos whose only purpose is to show off the generic jungle setting.

You have to be older than 18 years old to post here

Crysis has such horrible gunplay, it feels like shit to shoot a gook in the head.

I don't remember Far Cry 1 much, but I only had only complaint with Crysis and that was how fast the suit energy depletes. I love fucking around in the jungle, I love the suit, I love hijacking troop carriers and tanks and believe it or not I'm kind of fond of the ayys

Speaking of crysis, you guys should give Chrome a try. It's the game crysis ripped off

I had a lot more fun with Crysis when I edited the suit energy values of each suit function to be cheat-mode tier and playing the game on the hardest difficulty.

For shame.

Spoken like someone who never played either. Halo doesn't let you give orders to your buddies, hack things or assume tacticool positions. Halo also had vehicle combat, which RC had nearly none of. The Katarn armor the Republic Commandos use isn't even powered like MJOLNIR, not that Master Chief ever uses his enhanced strength for anything other than righting overturned vehicles.

Is it too much to ask to get a Star Wars game where we play as a Phase III Dark Trooper? It'd be like TIE Fighter on the ground.

Crysis' gunplay wasn't particularly inventive, but the main draw was the nanosuit, so it just had to be competent, which it was. Besides, the only Korean soldiers who pose any threat to you are the ones with nanosuits of their own, so it's unclear how much satisfaction you can possibly get just from shooting them.

You can melee

My Nar-Shaddaa nigga.

Every FPS has that. In Crysis you can chuck a car at the enemy, break down doors and toss one enemy into another. All that with stealth camo that actually comes with the suit.

How? And why?
You get a blood splurt, a sound damage indicator and a thud when the body falls to the ground.
Shouldn't you go play Titanfall 2 on your PS4 or something?

Why do first-person games with good gameplay always have to be shooters?
I would kill for a game with good first-person melee combat. There hasn't been one (that I'm aware of) since Dark Messiah.

Mount and Blade

F.E.A.R and its two expansion type things
Prey (the original one)
Crysis + Warhead
ARMA 3 has a decent campaign if you like milsim shit
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

This. I basically made a custom config which enhanced suit modes to be better and improved the AI to counter-balance it. I also edited most of the guns to be slightly different

Being able to actually use Strength mode as a weapon recoil dampener for more than 3 seconds made it super useful.

I'd agree that the gunplay was kinda shit, gun sounds were terrible and felt like BB guns

there is more to it than just "it has all the things on the list"

The guns do sound like shit, but thats about it

I don't go in for M&B. I prefer games that have a more substantial story. Also, I got the impression that that most people play it for the multiplayer (which I don't give a fuck about), but I don't know if that's true.

Most people are fags, and if you're not of the same opinion, why are you here?

What the fuck? I also didnt know it even had multiplayer, it's been a long time since ive played it though

Because this thread is about first-person games with good campaigns.

No, I agree with you on that one, M&B is a sandbox.
Thats not the point I was trying to make though

What said, it's just not satisfactory, doesn't have any sort of punch behind it. Bullets feel ineffectual even if they one hit kill on a headshot. I don't own a PS4 and Titanfall 2 is a good game, rude

Blood

see

Only the shitty grenade launcher everything else is alright

We'll never have a XIII 2, situated during the El Cascador storyline.

Fuck yes. Don't forget the OldUnreal patch

Quake 1 still probably has the best FPS level design for fully 3D environments by my reckoning. The mission packs are kinda disappointing though, they are much more like Doom with less verticality, except they also don't have the big open spaces that Doom has, so it's basically "backpedal while shooting grenades: the mission packs" also way too many of the fucking stupid exploding blobs

Other than that I would say Half-Life: Opposing Force. Very good, better than the vanilla campaign even, but sadly short. Funny and kinda sad that Gearbox's magnum opus will forever remain an expansion for an already popular game, and their second best is a PC port of another already popular game.

How does it fare against Kentie's D3D10 renderer?
kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

Shadow Warrior 2013 has guns but is mostly about swordfighting.

Neato.

I thought it was the other way around. Could you theoretically beat the game using nothing but the sword?

Yes

That's doubtful. There are explosive enemies that should be killed from a distance, and some gigantic bosses… but you can use the sword most of the time, at least. Anyway, it's a very fun game.

Huh. I never beat it, I kept trying to use the guns, but the fucking game has so much headbob it's retarded, and the headbob doesn't use the crosshair as its focal point so it impacts your aim IMMENSELY resulting in everything but the shotgun being basically worthless unless you're standing totally still. Then I'd just use the sword and constantly feel like I was missing out on something.

But then SW2 came out and I gravitated almost immediately to a 100% melee focused build with tons of crit and never really used guns. Unfortunately as you progress it comes to a point where all you can do is constantly go stealth then use a full charged Sting and it gets boring as fuck and why the fuck can't any company make a decent melee game with long lasting appeal? Except of course Techland :^)

NAME?

I know that there's a ranged energy attack involving the sword, so I guess that could be an answer to the exploding enemies. I was mostly thinking about bosses, it's probably hard to take them down with only melee. It still sounds good though. Thanks for the replies anons, I'll put it on my to-pirate list.

When you play the game I recommend just Normal mode, on hardest mode enemies become massive damage sponges and almost all of your guns become useless due to low damage, only the Crossbow, Rocket launcher and Sword are viable weapons on that difficulty.

they intended the harder difficulty for ng+ since everything is retard expensive

Well there is also the Hardest (only one life for the whole level) mode, and that starts you off from scratch.

Let me fix that:
Metroid Prime.

This is spot on. Quake 1 is pure, distilled FPS.

Movement and shooting mechanics are ultra tight and the level design is excellent. There are very few levels in the original that I would call weak.

As a "campaign" though, it's difficult to know where to put quake. The episodic nature eliminates any story telling that could be done. Games like quake shouldn't have a story, but as a result can't be considered good FPS campaigns. To summarise, games like Doom, Quake, Blood, Duke Nukem etc are excellent shooters, but with crap campaigns (and adding story would not benefit the games.)

It might be fair to say that consoles probably benefit the most from fleshed out campaigns in FPS games since the controls will never be as precise and tight as on a PC, so instead of focusing as much on gunplay, etc there is a bigger space for a solid and varied campaign instead (recent games like COD opt for another route, which is "the spectacle" rather than gameplay / story, which is why they will age like shit). Half life is an example of this kind of thing done on PC by the way.

Some of the best campaigns in console FPS games I've played have been Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. I think these games hold up better than the Halo series, but they're still not that great. Where consoles shine more I think is in the third person shooter. For some reason gamepads feel closer to M&KB for control (although still not as good).

Third person shooters tend to be more likely to feature RPG-lite elements since the "immediacy" of the shooting is even further removed from an FPS. Gears of War 1 - 3 have superb campaigns with no RPG. Deadspace 1 and 2 and Resident evil 4 have superb campaigns with these elemtents.

Bizarrely, and contrary to most of what I've said, the best FPS campaign of all time is on console and features RPG elements and minimal story. Someone already mentioned it earlier in this thread.

But that's garbage. First you can turn off said headbob, second akimbo SMGs, ARs and explosives are more than viable on the move due to sheer firepower for the rest you just need to not suck aiming Finally, sting a shit, real men Force Slash.

no not really

Star Trek Elite Force

FPS is always better than TPS whether you use a controller or not. I use a controller on pc for all my games. Fuck a mouse. First person is way more immersive and realistic (can't magically see around corners) 3rd person does nothing but give normalfags a character on screen to look at and relate to.

Crysis 1, 2, 3.