SONIC MANIA SPECIAL STAGES AND BONUS STAGES

SONIC MANIA SPECIAL STAGES AND BONUS STAGES

LOOK HOW COOL THEY LOOK

I really hope Sonic mania delivers and sells well.

I want to say "if I could I would've" but being honest, they probably needed this extra time for stuff like, well, these 3d special stages.

Probably, but I think it's worth it. Especially if they're better than the previous special stages

I was going to thow an autistic fit about using 3D model in bonus stage, but then they showed another one from S3&K.
Between that and rotating sprites this game looks meh as fuck.
I'll probably pirate it, but too much lazy shit is going on, don't expect me to pay for it.

Oh my fuck
These faggots know exactly what they're doing, just like how Sonic Team is appealing to the autist fanbase with Forces
If I didn't know any better I'd be expecting a chao garden announcement too

It looks like it might actually be fucking playable here. Sonic CD's was fucking terrible.

the remake was fun

At least it seems more like a race than hide-and-seek.

ARE YOU READY?

With the more fluid looking controls, more linear racetrack-style level design, gameplay involving item pickups, and low-poly models, it reminds me a bit of Sonic R

It works differently. You just have one UFO to catch, time's determined by your rings, and the objective is to gain enough speed to catch up to it.

STOP STOP I DON'T WANT TO BE HYPED ABOUT THIS GAME!

2 late

I do have one critique that Mania has more classic stages than new ones.

The stages look a bit empty. I don't want to echo the "Press right to win" meme but it seems pretty applicable from the look of this trailer. It seems they really don't want to piss off the reviewers maybe?

I'm actually really okay with that. Mania's kind of a throwback game and I've always liked seeing this kinda stuff in games. My main opinion on throwback shit is that, by having a throwback, it's just going to be remembered as a game that brought back old stages and might not form too much of its own identity, instead relying on the popularity of other games to give it an identity for it. The opposite is true, too, if a game makes a bunch of new stages and songs for the OST it forms its own identity and people remember it fondly as its own thing, and then it can be referenced on its own in future titles for that dash of fanservice.

However, Mania is giving us a decent bunch of new stages to remember it by, so I'm fine with that. I think it's kinda strange to play it up as a sequel to S3K when we're revisiting so many past stages, but I'm assuming they'll have a reason for it. Regardless the game looks rad as hell and honestly I'm excited to see old stages come back like this, even if there is that whole "identity" thing I brought up.

Sorry for being annoying but we already have a thread for Mania's discussion.

Press right to win was at its worst in Sonic Advance 2. Otherwise it's not too much of a problem in the games.

From what I've seen of more solid gameplay footage of the levels, there's not a lot of that in the game.

It looks like fun but faggots who grew up with Sanic Adventure won't have any idea what to make of it and the average cancer-ridden gamer pleb won't either. It has to sell by giving nostalgia boners to people who actually remember the Sega Genesis.

Also, it's funny how this and even Sonic Forces seem very promising while Mario Odyssey looks like tired, boring shit. It's the one time Sonic definitively beats Mario and Sega doesn't have a fucking console anymore. lel

It's kind of funny how everyone was excited by the first trailer then the novelty wore off and it looks "OK" now.

I was one of those faggots who grew up with adventure
I played the originals in the mega collection

I feel quite the opposite about Forces and Odyssey. I think Forces suffered from the same shit as Colors. Which is bad level design and FUCKING ALIEN POWER UPS. Keep that shit out of Sonic, whenever you see them then that's how you know the game will be mediocre. With that said, I think Odyssey will be a great game even if not as good as 64/Sunshine in terms of mobility.

How is this any more in depth than a phone game?

Fucking millennials

Not an argument.
How is it any more in depth than a phone game?

Considering phones can now run the equivalent of up to the 5th gen overall, I'm not sure what you expect to argue here. Yes, it's not more in depth than a phone game. Neither is, at this point, anything made before 2001.

I'm referring to gameplay, not specs.

Odyssey looks inspired by Undertale with the quirky NPCs

How are they unrelated?

What do you consider a "depthful" game from before 1999?

It's designed for button controls and people who are interested in skill challenges.

I suppose that's what would differentiate it from a smartphone game.

Well no user, in terms of depth the special stages are about on-par with phone games. But considering they're fucking mini-games and a mere fragment of Sonic Mania, you sound like an autist really stretching to get mad at this game.

Don't all the early sonic games already have mobile ports
What the fuck are you literal retards even arguing about

Sonic 3 doesn't

The biggest question is how is Super Sonic in the game and if so, how is he handled?

Super Sonic and the Emeralds were a defining part of the perfect unlockable content that rewards you as a player for seeking out and gitting gud at reaction time in general with the feeling of power and an awesome transformation to compliment it. You really feel like you worked for and earned that ability to rip through everything like a god and it's exactly part of why S3&K as a complete package is such a satisfying masterpiece that hasn't yet been surpassed. It's Sonic's own SM64 before that game was even made.

that we know about you mean. It's been stated that the game is roughly as long as s3&k. So that's about 14 zones and they have only shown about half.

They're not story-relevant, IIRC, but still unlockable via the special stages.

I just hope that if there's a super sonic only final boss or something, that it uses the normal platforming gameplay instead of some weird flying stage unconnected to the rest of the game

Please don't tell me that I will have to go into Blue Spheres every time I hit the checkpoint.

It's a bonus stage. Remember Sonic 3? You go into them if you've over a certain amount of rings, and even then only optional- the checkpoint creates a star ring, and only if you choose to go into it do you go into the bonus stage.

I know that, you retard, I just don't want to play it every time instead of gumball machine or that weird pinball thingy.

Well be clear in your statements next time you dolt.

I've no idea if Blue Spheres is the only Bonus Stage. I want to believe that considering how well they're doing everything else, we'll see more, but honestly won't be surprised either if Blue Spheres is all you get.

Nooooooooooo, not the Sonic 3 blue spheres! Those were the WORST special stages of the whole series.

It looks like literally pic related with some lesoquirky dialogue and parkour thrown in.

THAT'S KATAMARI YOU FUCKING RETARD. REEEEEEEEETARD!!!!!

Oh also the levels are like 10 times larger for no good reason it looks like.

I just saw my first gameplay video of silicon valley and what the fuck. Mario Odyssey literally ripped off the "throw [Noun] at [thing] to control it"
Originality really IS DEAD.

Someone who's sick of the half pipe and an internet wizard please punch this user.

The existence of that game has been getting deleted hard for the past couple of months. They definitely know it's a knockoff and they want people to keep quiet about it for sure.

The fuck are you talking about? Odyssey looks like a much larger scale 64 without its diverse magical worlds charm, but with a good diverse and robust amount of settings and an interesting new platforming mechanic with potential regardless. That's not even getting into all the different kinds of gameplay with the hat control mechanic, even a fucking T-Rex. It has to at least be fucking good.

And Mania's going to do great because its simple promise and return to form with some new tricks has had people hooked and excited since its official tease.

Well, this just killed any hyped I had for it. Well, at least we got, well, graphics I guess? No, that's not right. Level design or style? Fuck, nope.
As long as we don't go back to 3D World tier levels it should be good I suppose.

I just want a game that has the style of the starting castle area from galaxy, is that so hard to ask? It was fucking gorgeous and encapsulated everything Mario SHOULD be. Why do they have to be such a fucking tease and refuse to expand on that, is it because it'll take actual effort or something?

By that token, we'd be complaining about rehashing old stages as filler if it were balanced in the other direction

What do you mean?

I hope Mario and Modern Sonic at least have some degree of parkour from this point on. It works very well with adding more design possibilities to stages and challenges and giving you more freedom in how you play through the game without making sucking any danger of bottomless pits out.

I thought it was because Miyamoto got assmad at Koizumi for making a better game than him since he got dipped into a producer role after Galaxy 1.

Why can't chinkbitchshitfuckheadmoto just DIE already man. He's holding Mario by the leash now.

If there are 10 zones, 6 are classics with new takes on them and 4 new ones. We get a desire for more new ones but are interested in the new takes on the old

If it had 8 new zones and 2 old ones, we'd be wondering if they just got lazy

I just hope it has Oil Ocean and Lava Reef.

All Miyamoto did wrong was ruining Paper Mario and Starfox Zero because he's old and out of touch. He's not a faggot.

Remember how imaginative and inspirational he used to be behind the best of Nintendo.

Yes, he is senile now.

Then a suicidal user in Japan can just mercifully snipe him in his sleep before sudoku.

Never make assumptions based on teasers and hype, lest we forget.

I'd say the Yakuza, but Nintendo is surprisingly clean of criminal activity. I'm not refererring to shitty shit they've done LEGALLY in the past btw.

But everyone who wasn't retarded knew NMS was going to be shit
People were still asking what the gameplay was going to actually be like up until it released

But we've literally seen the game in action in actual footage.

Only retarded faggots don't know shit and shit bloggers worth nothing whiteknight that pathetic lie.

But they were the best ones, and the second best thing about Chaotix

Blue Sphere were unarguably the best special stages and were actually enjoyable. Don't be a faggot.

I don't see a reason to play Odyssey over any other 3D Mario. It looks like a fresh coat of gimmicks on a formula so tired and well past the point of diminishing returns it's ready to die tbh.

That was Tanabe's handling. Miyamoto didn't really do anything to the development aside suggesting there should be no story. On the contrary, the his least favorite character of franchise is Toad, and he was the one who gave Tanabe the freedom to pick any Mario character from the mainline games.

I think the combo they're doing here looks way better than that

Don't get me wrong, if we're talking Mega Drive/Genesis Trilogy & Knuckles, Blue Sphere is the best. But if we consider CD and Chaotix, Hexagons are first, Blue Sphere is second, UFOs are third because Half-pipe and Rotating are pretty terrible.

I always assumed Koizumi was exiled to the Mario franchise after he tried putting story in video games, and because he's very anal about how the camera works.

Half-pipe would be fun without the choppy scrolling and no spike balls getting thrown at you from around blind corners with no time to react. Rotating would also be a lot better if you could control your jump height.

It's not really blue sphere though. You're constantly moving forward instead of being on a globe that you can go anywhere on.

Also posting best special stage.

But that's what blue sphere was
Constantly moving forward, getting faster and faster the more time you take

If the Genesis could have done sprite rotation in hardware, you bet your ass Sega would've used it. I just hope it supports 4:3 and 640x480

Yeah, but you're not restricted to a linear path in S3&K's Blue Sphere, whereas in Mania you're on a looping track chasing after a UFO. Completely different design. Honestly it feels like a merge of half-pipe's linearity, CD's destroying UFOs, and 3&K's collecting blue balls.

Oh
You just haven't watched the video then
Holy shit user

Its gets the "Thank god its not the half pipe again" award. Though it looks alright.

I hate summer.

Summer is a buzzword

Check the bonus stages they show after the special stage.

How does that last bonus stage work? It seems like once you get to a certain point, you start over from the beginning of the stage, but I don't get why. I may be retarded.

It clearly isn't.

It is, actually.

The crude 3D models fit with their theme of "what if the Saturn had gotten a real Sonic game". I like it.

You're not retarded, it wasn't quite conveyed well. It wasn't a Bonus Stage, it was a Speedrun mode. The going back to the beginning is a specific button only available on that mode that starts you over- so you fuck up your run, you can quickly try again.

That sounds like a recipe for severe autism
The speedrunning community should love it

Sonic's new ability, the Drop Dash, is already aiming at that too.

This fucker somehow got access to a copy of the game (review, I guess), and uploaded a speedrun. He makes the drop dash useful, which I admit, I never quite expected.

Watch the whole thing dummy.

Look at that forest level, it's sprawling and unfocused. You'd not know it was a level for a Mario game if Mario wasn't in it. It has no intensity, either.
This is going to be another BotW isn't it..

It is, the guy you responded to is already defending it. It's already set in motion.

Mark said the summerfaggot shit was real.

I'M HYPED

HELP

Yeah but it's Mark
If halfchan always maintained a regular baseline of faggots, why would it be much different for a niche ass place like this?

Summer Holla Forums and daytime Holla Forums were very noticeable on 4/v/ back in the day. And in late-stage halfchan the levels of faggotry went off the scale when Europe was awake. Seasons are real, man.

Daytime was definitely noticeable, but not seasons
Normalfags sleep at night, but people don't lose internet access when it's cold out

Yeah, but do they an edgelord that says he's the sharpest of blades? I think not.

You weren't paying attention, then. When kids are out of school they post outside of their normal containment hours.

For one phone games require watered down level design to accomodate for touch controls. The gameplay here requires some semblance of tight controls which gives it more depth than the average phone game. Lastly, it has no microtransaction system hopefully
Would you call S3&K and Sonic CD phone games? Look at how unplayable they are on phones, touch controls are inherently unresponsive. It still baffles me why they bothered to port them to iOS and android.

The fact that this is a mini game bolted to an actual game.

If that were true then late day and evening hours would be just as shit year round

Wait, I'm confused about the third part. What's going on with the blue ring boxes? It looks like you get to double back for extra rings and bonuses?

see

The Blue Ring Monitor had nothing to do with it. It's an item from Chaotix, where your rings, if you get hit, scatter in 5 huge blue rings instead of a ton going everywhere.

Sonic CD had some sprite rotation trickery, didnt it? Even had a Mode 7, god knows how.

Oh, I see.
That's actually pretty cool.
Thanks for explaining.

know what I just realized in the UFO chase stage the birds from the sonic 1 special stage are in it

Sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick. That is fucking genius.

Do you even realize why we webm certain videos?

And the second one with tails has those fish
And then the third one is where they finally reached the logical endpoint of special stage visual design and went full vaporwave

Why do people hate the special stage anyway?
It looks really fun. I didn't like the Sonic CD special stages but this one looks really neat.

He doesn't.

how the fuck do people like blue spheres? it's so fucking boring

To stop providing tracking information to (((Youtube))).

According to J00t, IPs would decrease in the summer, meaning any anons with a semblance of a life would leave with the shitpost addicts staying behind.

try getting the exterior boundaries of a square grouping without hitting the interior. That, plus the constant speedup and running at a decent framerate

3D was way past cool in 1994, and it blew Sonic 2's 3D Special Stage out of the water.

CD's special stage is arguably better though.

i couldn't beat all the blue sphere stages with a slo mo controller so much for getting all the emeralds in this

Awesome

Oh no, oh no no no no no. Please tell me there's a way for me to hook this game up to a 16:9 CRT television or something. I barely god through blue sphere at the higher speeds when I was a kid. Now I'm like 20 years older with Lag.

It still blows my mind that this game actually exists. The thought of an official Sonic game made by fans that has the potential to be one of the best, if not the best Sonic games ever made seems like a crazy pipe dream, and here it is staring me right in the face. It's shit like this that makes me happy we're living in the Berenstain universe.

Never doubt the strange and mystical power of the memeticists

That meme turned to shit a year ago, you know.