Apple is really pushing egpu support with their new macbooks. Will this mean anything?

Apple is really pushing egpu support with their new macbooks. Will this mean anything?

It didn't mean anything when they did it on a OS with real software support.
This will be nice almost exclusively for the few mac exclusive free creative suites.

nope

The market is shifting to mobile. Nvidia confirmed sales of 20 million+ GTX 9 series gaming laptops in 2016. The average gaming laptop with a GTX 9 series was about a thousand bucks mind you

What I would like to see is an eGPU that COMPLETELY ditches the PCIe slot design and instead is a tiny box with a heat-sync connected via thunderbolt 3. It would make it a lot more compact but you wouldn't be allowed to swap the graphics card like you would a full sized tower, but it would still work.

It means: Apple doesn't have to bother putting a decent GPU in their madly overpriced machines, suckers will pay extra for it.

Not really. Their OpenGL drivers are still legendary dogshit and Apple won't improve them anytime soon because they want to lock devs into the Apple ecosystem with the Metal API. There's more games and better performance on fucking Linux these days, and if you were stupid enough to buy a Mac you'll get a better gaming experience by dual-booting with some Linux distro.

Companies like MSI and Razer have done this before and they have some pretty big limitations. You'll probably start to see a lot more companies adopting this technology as a result but I can't really see it replacing desktops anytime soon because of the lack of upgrade-ability with a laptop.

doesn't this solve that though? Just buy a better eGPU to upgrade.
'course if you want to upgrade your RAM or processor you're up a shit creek.

keep in mind Thunderbolt 3 never saw mass-market adoption until 2015-2016 so the technology is still maturing but I don't think we will ever truly see a truly elegant solution. Keep in mind most "gaming" laptops are mainly meant as desktop-replacements that are slightly more compact rather than truly portable machines. On most laptops with beefy dedicated GPUs the dedicated GPUs will only work while the machine is plugged in and will use only the iGPU when on battery power. These eGPUs are obviously being marketed to people who own these devices. t. guy who mains on a gaymen laptop

Source on this? Who are the manufacturers involved? Are they any good?

I played total warhammer on a hackintosh partition and got about 10 less fps than windows.
Nothing will run well with my card on Linux. I think they're waiting for some kernel update before it isn't a useless card on linux.

Which card are you using and what drivers?

maybe. Apple will probably partner up with AMD or Nvidia to start selling their own in-house eGPUs under the Apple name.

RX480
For mac just the standard drivers included in the high sierra beta. "Just werkd"
For linux I tried the newest Mesa and the newest AMDGPU-PRO.

I want sauce on that shit. Since when did Apple do things that are smart?

accept your future of delayed, buggy ports.

The newest Mesa release when, last week? Several months ago? Mesa's improving quickly and some updates bring solid framerate boosts depending on the game.
Total Warhammer's Linux port was shit anyways from what I've heard and seen in benchmarks. It came out several months before Feral Interactive started using Vulkan, while the OS X port came out after they had some experience with Vulkan which mapped well to Metal.

Question, how reliable is this tech? I have a desktop but I'm constantly on the move and it would be nice if I could just take this with me in a bag or something.

No
Fuckoff

Alienware has been doing this for a while, and it used to be a DIY thing way before that. Razor also has one for it's laptops.

My hypothetical maximum comfy situation is the Thinkpad Retro/Anniversary thing being good and having EGPU support, and playing STALKER in bed on it on a cold rainy day.

The problem with Alienware's implementation is that it uses a proprietary connection.

The good news for thunderbolt3 from now these ports will have a dedicated connection to the cpu rather than sharing the motherboard's peripheral connection. This only pertains to laptops designed after this decision.

Two weeks ago. I'm a wincuck again.

Honestly i really like the whole eGPU thing. It would be really practical for me. I don't want to have to carry around a hueg gaming laptop to courses and shit but i also want to be able to play something other than minesweeper. So a thinkpad with a good CPU and eGPU support wwould be ideal for both situations.

I agree, however one has to ask if the tech is reliable enough.

That better be Windows 7

Isn't the GPU severely bottlenecked by the connection?

What's an EGPU?

Ethereal Graphical Poop Unit

Thunderbolt 3 is 40Gb/s up AND down in the USB-C format. There’s no bottleneck.

They’re the ones pushing AR and VR tech now. Neither will succeed until Apple creates the standard for them.

It's what happens when an egg gets a hairline crack and shit leaks out

Oh wait I'm retarded

I'd link to the keynote where they talk about it but it will just be remove since I can't into webming a portion of a 1 hour video.

Yes, yes you are.

Windows 10 LTSB 2016

Retard

Except there is.
And even a mobile 1080 will outperform your eGPU 1080

So you're saying this performs like shit? I believe it.

Every eGPU performs like shit, this one just happen to cost a lot more to top it off.

I agree with >apple posts.
Ok you can use you macbook as stationary PC.
Why when it is still macbook?