X Rebirth VR Edition now on Steam Early Access – Xcon announced

The sprawling space sim X Rebirth, in spite of its fine heritage, was not good. It was so bad, in fact, that developer Egosoft apologized for the whole thing, and to its credit has put in considerable effort trying to improve matters. A major step in that direction will be taken with the launch of the X Rebirth VR Edition, slated for an Early Access release in the first half of 2017. But likely even better for fans of the series is word that a new game, X4, is also in the works.

"X Rebirth VR Edition is a super-exciting development for us," Egosoft managing director Bernd Lehahn wrote in the latest X-Universe newsletter. "Playing this with a VR Headset feels like finally playing space games the way they were meant to be played all along,"

The VR version will be significantly changed from the original, with a new graphics engine, redesigned economy, and updates to the UI, pace, and balancing. Unfortunately, all those modifications mean that existing saves won't be compatible with the new release: If you want to play in the VR space, you'll have to start a new game.

As for X4 (which is what I'm really more excited about), Lehahn said it's too early to talk about details, and the game doesn't even have a proper name yet. But Egosoft is "making good progress," and he wanted to clarify what's been happening, and what fans of the series can look forward to.

"When we worked on X Rebirth we needed to make a lot of simplifications. We removed some features in order to be able to concentrate on others. But when X Rebirth was released, many fans expected it to be an 'X4,' a game with most of the key features of the X3 games and then some," he wrote.

But it's just not possible to create a game of that scale that within the limitations of X: Rebirth, and so those features, "along with the foundations laid by all the work and feedback that went into X Rebirth, have been the basis for the big project that we have been working on for the last few years: a real X4," he wrote. "While I cannot say much about its features yet, what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules."

Lehahn said Egosoft will have some "really cool things" to reveal in 2017, but even without the albatross of X Rebirth hanging from its neck, it has a big task ahead. The earlier X games were quite good, but they also existed in a time before Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. Is there room in such a niche genre for another wide-open space sim—especially once that doesn't have the benefit of being filled with real people?

archive.is/dY72S

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, when did the Xseries get walk able environments? I briefly played x3:TC.

What kind of emote is that o.o

Rebirth has a lot of empty, prefab corridors you walk down to find a generic NPC you have to talk to to trade with.
You can also loot lockers for mars bars I dont think you can do anything with. At least they dont take up cargo space. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess that means they're setting the foundation for interiors. Can you mod the interiors?

X4 FUCKING WHEN?!

Would you really trust them with that after rebirth?

Honestly I've never looked into it. I hated rebirth there's so much wrong with it and its a pretty big change from the rest of the series.
X3 Mods always tended to be scripts and having a look at the mod list on the forums this seems to be true for rebirth so I wouldnt get my hopes up for any big changes but I've only glanced at it.

forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349319

Hopefully they learned from their mistakes. It would be nice if we could mod the interiors.

WOW THIS IS SO SEXIST

90 fps at 2160 × 1200 with the same level of details as in the video?
Really?

Well at least they know what people actually want and given that the games with the exception of Rebirth have all been quite enjoyable I actually think it makes sense to get some hope up that this disaster knocked them over the head enough to make an actual X game again.
or just screencap this and laugh at me in the future when it fails

Letting you pick your race would be a fucking good start. Also, making interiors for every ship would be nice and a lot of X modders would literally do it for free.

X: Rebirth was a decent remaster of X: Beyond the Frontier which no one fucking wanted. I dunno why they bothered with it.

Worst part of the game was the station interiors. Fuck interiors. The only interior I care for is my ship's. They added station interiors because X games have been devoid of life since the start. Instead of doing it like how Freelancer where ships would often interact with each other and their comms would leak into you, they just made stationary NPCs with a weird ass Oblivion-esque dialog mini-game then pumped the number of ships flying to 11. Leave it to the fucking Germans to completely miss the point.

They also need to stop making their world modelers do face models and hire actual talent. Every goddamn NPC in their games look like product of generations of incest.

NEWTONIAN PHYSICS WHEN?!

That said, the new Solar Station Array looked cool. I wanted to live there and do pic related all the time.

but i loved xbtf

Of course. From the beginning it was obvious X:R was going to be a spinoff title, and not part of the mainline series. So the fact that said spinoff was somewhat of a shitshow (that they're still patching) doesn't make me think they're going to bring any of the bad shit introduced in X:R into X4, especially when they're keenly aware that they fucked up and have even apologized.

I'm not going to pre-order it or anything, and I probably won't play it until it has at least a year's worth of patches, but I'm absolutely excited for X4.

Yes.

Elite Dangerous is fucking fantastic in VR.

I've never played the X series; is this worth trying? Are the flight controls as good?

They wanted the console shekels, people found some xbox file thingies in the game.

If you love space, blow up shit, build stations and be autistic enough to install mods, yes.

Probably the publishers are going to force them to go back to a tried and true formula after X:R. Probably X:R lost a lot of money.

Keep kidding yourself.

That's a bad idea.

What if the only walk able stations were customize able player owned stations?

Meh, it's too much effort for that little return. If they really want to show the stations interiors they should just take a page out of Freelancers book and have some predefined areas that kinda mask the menus point'n-click style.

This, who cares about hallways n' sheeit. just make a bunch of lounges and reception areas and bars. What kind of freak enjoys track marathoning a bunch of paste by numbers skyrim dungeons sparsely filled with mostly uselss, lifeless, rigid NPCs?

I play space games to be in space.

Docking in a station and selecting the place you want to go and be greated with a comfy room with a qt xeno sounds nice.

I found Elite: Dangerous to be more of a realistic simulator, and X3TC to be an empire building game. There's the do whatever you want aspect, but eventually (or depending when you quit) you get the credits to own and employ multiple ships and build factories.

In terms of action, its unrealistically slow paced and I didn't like starting out with projectile weapons, and missing half of the time aiming at the M5s the game spawns when you start your game with a low fight rank.

X rebirth never really challenges you with combat. Anything you can't trivially outfight, you can outrun. And even the capital ships can be rekt easily with a little planning, right from the outset. Just buy some missiles, like the big TV guided novadrones, blow up the ship's engines, then it's scarier guns, and then pick off the rest at your leisure.

The controls feel decent for basic freelancer-esque m+kb fare. Notably, since you have one ship the whole game, it actually gets faster and more maneuverable as you progress, through upgrades.

X3TC has very high lethality for smaller ships. Until you get a big ship of your own, enemy capital ships are basically untouchable, most of the time, you'll be blowing enemy ships apart trivially. Occasionally, one will actually remember to shoot you, and you'll not fare much better.

given the distances involved, and the very disparate relative speeds , it's often quite difficult to actually hit the smallest ships., but they blow up in like three hits, and given that even an M4 will often have at least four guns, m5s are in for a world of hurt if they fail to dodge.

I've heard X3AP decreased the lethality a little, but I've not yet played it.

Somewhat to my annoyance, X:R's afterburner uses your shields as fuel, and X3 doesn't even have one without mods (though it's part of the "bonus pack" of mods, which is officially sanctioned, so you can use it and still get your cheevos) and the mod one also runs on your shields, or energy cells, if you have them.

Fuck you Bernd. I was roped into the hype of X Stillbirth and 4 years later it's still a pile of shit. It doesn't matter how many new editions they make or content they add, the game is rotten to the core. It still feels like an early beta, and you still can only fly one ship. And now they've hopped onto the VR gimmick as if that will change everything.

JUST LIKE MULTITHREAD X3
BADDA BING, BADDA BOOM
GOTY

Git gud

A plasma burst generator will destroy basically every M5, or make its pilot to bail out. A pirate kea usually carries it, but fighting one at low level is a pain in the ass, missiles errywhere.

This. I wonder why they tried it, it was like spitting on their usual fans and making a game for people that don't want it. There was no way this could work. At least it didn't bankrupt them. X4 can't really be worse than XR and Elite Dangerous anyways, that would be a feat to accomplish.

wew

This is bullshit. Rebirth was an attempt to abandon the game's core (and growing) audience as a we want the freelancer audience. They put a lot of effort into replacing systems with casual ones. When they apologize for it failing, they're saying they're sorry that abandoning us didn't work out for them.

Because their switch to console failed miserably they are back to the source. I still think one of the biggest sin they committed with Rebirth is sadling us with this god awful ship, the Skunk and the retarded copilot.

You don't even need to do that. There are lots of safe spots on them, you can just fly between the engines and sit there plinking it down slowly. But there's no reason to cap them as the AI will just fuck up and wind up refusing attack orders and money is worthless. The game is a hopeless mess.

They won't be making a real X4. They'll be doing a we want the Star Citizen audience. They've already decided they don't want us anymore.

Dont jinx it, user.

Are they going to make a kickstarter and sell .webm ships?