Where did yellow lightning icon originally came from...

Where did yellow lightning icon originally came from? A lot of games with elemental damage types use yellow color to depict lightning/electricity, while it only appears as white/blue/purple IRL but never as yellow.
How come?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_taxonomy
imgur.com/a/rzwHL
popularmechanics.com/military/research/a27103/army-laser-apache-helicopter/
tabizine.jp/2015/10/19/48318/
sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/language/number/ancient_japanese.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't think it's a video game thing, I'm sure it existed before that.

Some electric company put it on a switch box?
Why is it yellow? Now that's a good fucking question

Electric light is yellow, that's not a stretch at all.

I don't know, but my guess would be hardware. In the past, they could display a limited amount of colours back then. Yeah, they had white and blue, but it's unlikely that it had a specific shade of blue.

FFXI is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't do that.

Yeah but thunder and lightning aren't.

Probably because if you have to color code elements, blue is going to go to water/ice before electricity, and fire is going to get red before it's getting yellow.
That kind of leaves yellow and electricity as the two losers that have to pair up at PE.

I can understand wind usually getting weird colors since it is invisible irl.
Or poison being either purple or green, since those colors associated with something, well, poisonous.
But yellow lightning was always a mystery for me.

Why would shitty elements like water and ice go before something badass as thunder?

Maybe the color comes from this sign, except inverted. Yes, I have been wondering about the association with the color yellow as well, considering lightning bolts are usually white, blue or purple.

Yellow and red are used in caution signs and warnings in general, a red/yellow sign will capture your attention a lot better than a white one.
I'm guessing it just continued off that.

Ayy lmao detected.

Go to bed aquaman, nobody gives a fuck about you.

The fuck is "Electric light"

a heated filament through the use of electric current

Light is mostly separate element though.
Sometimes it is coupled with "holy" or whatever the fuck, but usually it is its own thing.

but that light is generated by heat, not by electricity. If the wire were a perfect conductor of electricity it would not glow at all.

Do you have autism? Meaningless semantics dont change the fact that without the electricity there would not be heat, and thus no light.

If I was only pretending to have autism, would it make a difference?

Golden Sun's Jupiter psynergy and Jupiter djinni that represent Wind/Electricity are purple. Venus for earth magic is yellow/brown. Like dirt

Interesting point, I suppose not.
That in mind you could've just said 'Where do you think you are?'.

Symbolism representing Satans fall from heaven.

Yellow lightning bolt is a universal thing understood by humans regardless of country. It's an actual meme, Jack.

The best hero.

Didn't the Greek use that symbol as Zeus' thunder?

I dunno, sometimes people do seemingly obvious things in the strangest ways. Like how Germans count to 10 on their hands starting with their thumb rather than their index finger.

Yes, and people have been painting zeus's lightning as yellow ever since then. It's a 2000 year old meme.

Maybe back in the day lighting was yellow. And now its not.

Cursed climate change.

Where's the element of surprise

Surprise is colorless, as you never see it coming

Yellow lightning far predates video games given Jay Garrick had them in 1940. Captain Marvel also had them in 1941.

And the color is so close to mercury it's impossible to tell at a glance.

Poison is almost always green in western games though, but I get what you mean. Poison is purple in the east because purple is considered a "bad-guy" color. That's actually the reason Rayman's sweater was changed from purple to blue for the Japanese release of Rayman 2. But I get what you mean.

Unrelated color facts:
The word for green and blue is the same word in Japan.
Russians have two different words for blue and light blue,
which sounds weird that they're considered two different colors until you realize that we have two different words for red and "light red".

What are they, ancient greeks?

Light red and pink are not the same color.

that's because its more logical and efficient, you dumb yid

You can also explain poison being purple by looking at the color of plant elements in games and healing. Green is a color that symbolizes life, so in some games healing someone will produce a green effect or a green number. Purple is a contrasting color to green, so it's poison. Seems logical to me.
Now with western games I'm not so sure. Maybe they tie healing to a "holy" element and make them white/yellow. And plant/earth element is brown, thus green is left open for poison. But why poison would be green, I don't know.

Some languages also don't have a word for blue since it doesn't appear in nature all that often. I remember reading an interesting article on that.

Captain Marvel is pretty great. He has a great nemesis to.

For green it's 'Midori' (緑)
For blue/green it's Aoi(青)

The bloody reason why the same word is because people around there back then about many generations ago see green/blue as the same colour, very old great grand father/mother on this side of the earth would relative describe green as 'a greenish shade of blue'. Also off-topic but the Japanese people are capable of eating seaweeds raw when it will give others stomach cramps at best and dying painfully at worst because their habit of eating stuffs from the sea raw since ancient times developed a special bacteria that are needed to digest those seaweed safely in their intestines and passed along the descendants to these days. Contrary to what (((they))) and the regressives have been pushing, human of different race or even ethnicity have vast differences between us.

Excellent post.

If it were any other species, we'd correctly recognize the division of subspecies, but since they're Homo Sapiens Africanis/Asiatic/Europa, (((they))) ensure the normalfags brand anyone speaking the truth a racist.

this is a shitpost
do not reply to it

That's weird.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_taxonomy

Acid in cartoons is always lime green, so I suppose it's from that. Honestly when I first saw purple poison as a kid it bothered me because I thought it should have being green. In the end purple seems like the better choice though. A very yellow-green could make sense though since snake venom is this bright yellow with a very subtle green tint.

As for why acid is green in cartoons I don't know. I suppose cartoonists just enjoyed drawing colorful beakers and the acidic beaker happened to be lime green, and every other cartoonist has simply copied that.

Holy shit that's fucking neato.

Did you know East Asians also have lighter, dry and flaky earwax, compared to the darker, wet and lumpy earwax Caucasians have.

Yellow in warning signs is to grab your attention and denote a negative message since red doesn't quite work out when yellow is brighter and can still do the job.

Make me, faggot.

Which is why I said "What are they, ancient greeks"
That's the whole joke of my post.

Yellow is a caution sign for potential hazards, red is warning of actual danger

Get on my level

They are the same colour. Red generally refers to "Red with a saturation above 50" and Pink generally refers to "Red with a saturation below 50".

(What I forgot to mention is that pink can be on either the red or purple spectrum though, which is the difference between "Salmon pink" and "Hot pink".)

I didn't think he was disagreeing with you, just explaining it in greater detail.

So they stopped because
1.They couldn't divide races properly
2.Africans are too different from other humans
What the fuck am I reading?

Anime characters turn blue, not green in what i've seen.

Pretty sure most colors have specific names in English than just basics, except normalfags usually only have a grade school understanding of color. QED "What's Puce?"

"Голубой" is sky blue, but it can be used to describe cyan, azure or even turquoise - all those have separate names in Russian, but I never heard anyone using word "циановый" (cyan) in real life.

Green is sickly, and it is a color you don't want to see on the human body. "His face turned green" is even used in Russian literature to describe a person who is sick (similar to how anime characters turn blue when they are about to throw up).

Shit, I never considered salmon as pink. So the pink I was thinking of is really just "light red-purple" rather than "light red".

Well, if you compare rainbow colors, in English the last three colors are blue-indigo-violet, while in Russia they are голубой-синий-фиолетовый, where "голубой" is light blue, and "синий" is deep blue. So yeah, shades of blue are fucky in every language.

Yeah, it's really some strange newspeak going on there.

Fun fact - "Голубой" is also slang for "gay" in russian language. Also, "Красный", which stands for color red, also used to mean "beautiful". Now the word "Красивый" is predominantly used for this purpose.

What started the defacto RPG rule that lightning damage has a massive spread? The earliest I remember seeing it was in Diablo, but did it originate in tabletop games?

Is indigo still included? I don't think it's taught in schools anymore, and I've never actually seen a child include it in their drawings of rainbows.

WITNESSED

I'd say "красный" was more like "best, outstanding". So there are expressions like "красная цена" ("red price", biggest sum that someone is ready to pay for something) or "красный угол" (corner in the house where all the religious paraphernalia is displayed). "Червоный" originally meant "red color", but now it is only used to describe pure gold, or in some regional dialects (such as Ukrianian one).

nice thanks!
And vegetable shops (GREEN grocers) are called 八百屋 -yaoya despite ao(i) being blue.
It's funny.

Oh, and Red Square was called so since XVII century (ironically, Russians started painting Kremlin white around the same time).

Oh fuck, I didn't even notice.

Ayy, In Polish "siny" which has similar pronounciation is blue color that a choking or frostbitten man has

I have next to no history knowledge on russian language, but I'd still argue that "Красный" used to mean beautiful because it's used as a root in a number of words, like "Прекрасный", "Красивый", "Краснодар", "Красная Площадь" and so on and so forth.

Is that where Alisa from Everlasting Summer's design comes from?

They use 青 for green traffic lights for some reason.

Everlasting summers designs for girls were all board tans or personification of stuff, like the readhead loli being ussr.

(checked)
That would make sense. Lime green, especially in liquids, definitely looks very alien.

That also makes sense.
I guess ultimately the problem is just where you use those colors. I personally think a healthy shade of green fits better to symbolize life, but then it excludes poison being green since the shades look too similar.

Final Fantasy had it as spread damage, lots if Genesis games too. Electricity as an element is commonly seen in chain lightning attacks.

Pretty sure one of them was ripped off from Miku.

No, she was literally Miku, like THE Miku, she is really liked there.

He's right though. Electric light is white. What you're describing is tungsten lighting and it's not yellow, it's orange.

You mean Красноярск? Краснодар was known as Екатеринодар ("gift from Catherine") until 1920, while Красноярск haven't changed its name since XVII century.
Well, "прекрасный" has many meanings aside from "beatiful", so there's that.

Bit of an artifact back from the days of yore when it was known as "IIchan Eroge".

It's called fucking google, ever heard of it?

I woul argue that it's purple

Here's something I've always been wondering about.
What is the most technically correct realistic doesn't really apply here color for plasma or laser based weapons?

Dark purple with white streaks.

Chrono Cross does it a little weird.
Yellow - earth, lightning
Red - fire, heat
Green - plants, poison
Blue - water, ice
Black - death, gravity
White - holy, outer space

imgur.com/a/rzwHL
That’s the only source I can find. Where’s the rest?

It seems natural. Electricity is one of the few natural forces that wants to go really, really fast on its own. And it does so dramatically and in extremely stylistic fashion, whereas heat just kind of… evenly radiates.

Heat attacks not having better AoE than its other-elemental contemporaries is actually a current pet peeve of mine. Even if the Wizard casts Fireball that "fills a 40' diameter spread with fire", you can't stand within a couple feet of that without getting flash-burns.

Depends on the laser's wavelength. The ones the US is testing for the Apache aren't even visible.

Are they infrared or UV?

probably the same place this came from

Huh. First I've heard of this. Links?

Gotta be UV if it’s a weapon. IR and lower would do fuck all.

If you point a flashlight/the lights of your car to it during a fog you'll be able to see it, unlike purple, blue, white or pretty much every other color.

popularmechanics.com/military/research/a27103/army-laser-apache-helicopter/

It depends on the intensity, not the wavelength.

Oh, a tech demonstrator/test platform. I thought you'd meant they'd actually miniaturized a weapons-grade laser to the point of being carried by an aircraft.

Still, neat stuff.

I can see them making a LASER "A-10"
As in, building a plane around the gun.

This kinda meets that requirement.

Because the green traffic light in Japan is tingly bluish cyan.

Clearly not all of them though.

Also found an interesting article while googling these, about the difference from a Japanese perspective. They understand that it's green, but they call it blue anyway since that's what they're used to.
tabizine.jp/2015/10/19/48318/

Can you say, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit?

Uh, user, I think your monitor is in need of calibration. Those are cyan.

Interestingly, from what I've just read, almost all ancient cultures didn't distinguish green from blue, with the exception of the Egyptians.

"Yao" means "800" in this case, not blue. So it has nothing at all to do with "ao".

sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/language/number/ancient_japanese.html

Closer to green than blue though. user said bluish-cyan, which is more like the text there.

My, my. Seems we are at the impasse because I see them as a tingly bluish cyan like I said, in both pictures and in real life. Also pic for references from cyan to blue. I saw the text as blue.

What?

The text on the signs you dolt.

exactly. the original 4 color comics were printed on shitty cheap paper, they had to use garish contrasting colors to prevent ending up with a muddy mess.
kind of like how today all movie posters are blue and orange, only instead of shitty cheap paper the people have shitty cheap minds

In various ancient mystery schools, the four classic elements each had a color. Red for fire, blue for water, green for earth, yellow for wind. Lightning is most often associated with wind, and is thus yellow. You can find the color scheme reflected in everything from ancient Egyptian esotericism to modern tarot decks.

augh

It really whips the llama's ass!

I"m sorry ha ha

The Basques didn't distinguish blue from gray either

Now it's green for wind and yellow for earth or lightning.

He was talking about large damage RNG spread, not area of effect.
Lightning in almost all western RPGs and ARPGs is the "unpredictable" elemental damage (if there's any difference at all), ranging from very low to very high damage instead of more of a middleground.

I think you've been lied to your whole life because that picture you just posted is NOT cyan on EITHER end of the picture. Pure cyan by definition is maximum blue and green and looks like pic three.