Tropico/City Builder/Management thread

So I was wanting to try Tropico. Never played it before.

Gameplay looks kinda like Black and White, which I had played and enjoyed.

But my question is, which game is better, Tropico 4, or Tropico 5?

Also discuss other sim/builder/management games

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=271016910
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tropico 4, of course.

Tropico is not even near Black & White.

Black & White is a God game.

God games are still sim/management games, though.

What does SimEarth qualify as, god?

Dunno, never play it.

Yeah but it's still primarily a city builder/city management thing

Tropico 3, stop eat consolized shit.

Is Tropico 3 made for PCs rather than Consoles or something?
I could use a little more info, lad.

3 and 4 both had a problem with the ratio of workers causing consturction to hault and shit. they fixed it in 5 but unfortunately it just made the game incredibly easy.

tough call to make.
"why isnt my city working" vs "i feel like a 3D printer"
though in the 3 and 4 building is more fun and interesting. in 5 building is a breeze but you can take more time managing your city and throwing undesirables into prison camps.

Here's the big question:
Which one is better? SimCity or Tropico?

4 is the better one, hands down.
if you want a super comfy city builder kingdoms & castles is good

4 felt pretty easy though, I was always able to just pump out a ton of food for loads of dosh and then sit around waiting for people to move out of their shacks into empty free air conditioned apartments.

Don't know which is better. So far my only experience with tropico is pirates cove, which isn't that great.

I am getting a city building crave but got bored of Banished and Cities skylines and want to play with a friend. Are there any good multiplayer city builders?

Play 3 or 5, Tropico 4 is the ugly middle child of those.

au contraire, they just hid the econ autism in 5, I'm finding I actually need to think about production ratios which is something that never happened in 3 or my limited experience in 4. Seriously, there is autism aplenty
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=271016910

that's actually what irked me about 5. i knew the economy was there but it wouldn't give me my precious stats so i could micromanage it

3 and 4 also have loads more personality. All the comic relief in 5 comes from the introductions by El Presidente and Penultimo's ramblings.

Nice, though to be fair Tropico is more of a game about outjewing the Jews and playing them against each other until you get nukes.

Any good Tropico 3-4 mods?

I would say my only real gripes with 5 are the invasions, yes I get that it added all these military buildings but shit, just game over when my troops are getting there asses kicked, don't waste my time. I'll also shit on the UI, why can't I click the Almanac when I have something else open. Still enjoying it though.

I doubt there's a radio mod for 5. Also the Nazbol thing is making fun of the second pic.

Tropico 1 is the best really.

Tropico 3 is almost like a remake of the first one but with a new road system that changes how the game is played, worse music, worse humour, and worse atmosphere.

If you want something modern I'd start with Tropico 3 without the expansion.

All of Haemonts additions seem to take away from the experience rather than add to it. Roads are nice though, but you are given no tools to manage traffic so you must pre-plan your cities to a great extent, and also you must learn exactly how the game cars and garages work, otherwise you'll get huge traffic jams that will destroy your economy.

I don't see how that's an issue, it's just the way the game is played. Managing the number of contruction garages, the number of employed builders, and their travel to the construction sites is just part of the game.

This is a legitimate complaint but you can figure out why if you look hard enough and if you read enough about the game.

The whole series gets easier with every successive game. Like I said, many of Haemonts additions detract from the experience rather than add to it, for this reason and many others too.

Honestly I hate the caricatures in Tropico 4, and the radio announcers are extremely annoying in Tropico 3. Tropico 1 is the only Tropico game with tact, 3-5 went way overboard and are just annoying, I usually played with radio and voice actors shut up.

Man, I forgot how much fun this game is. It's like a flashier grand strategy game that doesn't go through decades.

Tropico 3 is the hardest from 3-5, although Tropico 3 is still pretty easy.
4 is just a remake of 3 with disasters and some more buildings.
Don't know anything much about 5.
Most of the time, when speaking of Tropico in particular, mosts recommend 3.

idk, tropico was always kinda meh to me. Just seems like you can exhaust all the options too quickly with that game

That's why you play scenarios that spice it up and force you to adapt

Start with 4. I just finished it and moved onto 5 and I'm not feeling it. The world view in 4 is miles better and the game has more charm. It does, however, have dumb as fuck portraits

Colonial times are shit, it becomes a proper Tropico when you declare independence.