So, I've been tempted to move to GoG (and/or GoG Galaxy) instead of Steam…

So, I've been tempted to move to GoG (and/or GoG Galaxy) instead of Steam…
What are your opinions on it? Is it better?
From what I know you actually own your games on gog, to the point of saving the installer on a flash drive and basically being able to install it in any other computer, is that true?
(I'm getting back to pc gaming lately so if I sound like a asshat it's because I am really)

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/mix/games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens
myabandonware.com/game/x-com-ufo-defense-1pl)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

qBittorrent is a much better service tbh

It's good for pirating. I mean, do they honestly expect you to pay for 30 year old abandonware?

Don't expect the same selection on GoG as you would on Steam (both cater to entirely different markets) and you'll be fine. Also be aware that a lot of the old DOS-era games they offer are pretty much just bundled with DOSbox to run out of the gate, they're not actually updated outside of a handful of games. Yes, you can download installers for the game in question and shuffle them anywhere else you want DRM-free.

It's not a Steam replacement, it's more of a literal games market rather than an entire platform to go along with it.

If you are a buyfag, yes…conditionally. Unless it's a CD Projekt game you aren't going to get major first run releases on there. But if you don't give a shit about that (and given the state of AAA, why would you), you do get a ton of games that are DRM free that you can save on your hard drive indefinitely and have some support. Plus sometimes they give out shit for free, and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Op here.
I'm definitely not the AAA douche, one of the reasons I'm looking at GoG as my main thing now for PC. I feel very disappointed about steam because it's such a mess.
I was looking in there and the kind of stuff I enjoy is on GoG (Trine, Nex Machina, Astebreed, even Mount & Blade), looks like I'll be moving then.

I understand disliking steam because it's drm but how in the world is it a mess?

The way they let just about anything be published as a game in there and all, I could go on more but I'm not in for a discussion, sorry.

I'd recommend using GOG over Steam, but know that some games' GOG versions have less features.

gog.com/mix/games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens

GOG is just a store, there's nothing to "move" to. It is obviously the superior store because you get to run the games as you like. Galaxy is a beefed up version of their old downloader, nobody really cares about the Steam-like features. It does support multiplayer for some old games on it though.

(OP)Thank goodness I'm not interested into any of those games listed

We have IDs, nigger, geez.

I already made clear I'm an asshat in this thread

There is a lot of hate for GOG around here, which I don't always get. Galaxy mostly sucks, but I like GOG. It is worth the money to support what they do, and to have DRM free DosBox front ends setup and configured for me that just work (for the most part).

why is t that Galaxy sucks?

Anyone remember that mystery .dll that called back home to gog's servers? You didn't all forget that, right?

stop making shit up
gog is literally our service

steam is bad and will steal the games you paid for
dont use steam its evil!
use gog instead!

Reminder that gAbEn is a fat moneygrubbing jew, don't use steaM!

STEAM DRM IS THE WORST!!!1

Because it's useless in practice.

dont buy pc games. if there is nothing physical to show for it, pirate everything.

This. Buying games on the PC in this day and age is for retards and cucks.

they're a nice place to get games that you can make easy backups of while still paying the publisher, if you're so inclined.
jewbundle and itchio are good too, probably better since they don't have galaxy.

It's because they have supossedly used community cracks and mods for their releases without giving due credit. Also some anons say they're responsable for nuking off abandonware download sites.

Overall I like them a lot. They have a feature called "GOG Connect" which adds some compatible games from your Steam Library to your GOG library for free, to ease your transition.

I use to support DRM Free games and Linux releases, so at least I like them more than Steam. Also GOG installers are easily piratable., so it's nice they exist.

move to piratebay scrub

I haven't brought a game off GOG after using this. Would recommend!!!

How are they doing this? Just because they're distributing these games doesn't mean they own the copyrights.

Great customer service and all games just work.

I have no source for neither of the claims, that's why I said "some anons say" and "supossedly"

Dont forget they willl never sell the "my name is not important" game because REASONS!

You can still download Xcom - UFO Defence off here (myabandonware.com/game/x-com-ufo-defense-1pl) or buy it off GOG. Also, I think that site is affiliated with GOG. I don't know about others, that's the only abandonware game I got recently which I can think of.

Where can I download Ys 2 for Dosbox?

The main problem with Galaxy is that it isn't mandatory except for Gwent for whatever reason, and I play a fair bit of gwent. They say that's only going to be in beta, at least that's how I understood it, but it's a pain in the ass yeah. And it wouldn't surprise me if they keep it that way either cause it's tied to your account, and now they're planning some in-game chat for it or something. All the other games don't need Galaxy though, except maybe Witcher 3 but I don't remember. And I think they want to put Gwent on steam too when beta is over, but I'm not sure.

You shouldn't feel the need to 'move' to any other service because this means you have unnecessary loyalty to one platform.

Buy and play on any service that is currently offering what you want, in the way you want it at the price you feel is reasonable and affordable to you. Most of my gaming is done off steam and I use it less and less due to them fucking ruining PC gaming with Gaben's jewish fuckery.

I mostly think that too but I'm beginning to doubt that a lot these days. I'm excited for Cyberpunk 2077 but after never releasing proper modding tools, delaying and abandoning linux support for their client and witcher 3… I'm not so sure. Also I emailed a very small indie publisher about a game I love by them concerning the linux support (has support on steam but not gog). They told me it actually has no support on linux anywhere due to financial reasons but that even if it did, there's no way they'd add it to GOG because to update anything on gog requires them to talk the the finance department and they won't lift a finger unless it makes them some shekels. He said it's awful to publish there and that he may remove their games from there. I was shocked to read that but it just shows what you can learn by sending an email about these kinds of things. He then gave me 2 steam keys for the games I already owned on gog in case I wanted to try the linux support on steam. Unfortunately they didn't work at all.

Gog has version rollback which I've actually used a few times, so that's nice.

You didn't even spent 3 seconds looking stuff up before making this thread.
What's next, retard? A thread about "how do you spell asahssihn"?

Uh, he's 100% right, fuccboi. Most games install a galaxy.dll file that isn't part of the game itself.

Steam4lyfe

GOG just need more games, that's all.

I hope they can get shit like Dark Souls trilogy and Total War.

Patrolling Steam almost makes me wish for an alternative DRM free platform™ to purchase games on

Why not use both?

Step 1:
Download Deluge.

Step 2:
Go on thepiratebay.se.

Step 3:
Search for the game you want to play.

Step 4:
Check if the uploader is trusted and download it.

EVERYTHING is better on GoG.
Its going to a little time, but either Steam adapts or GoG slowly takes over
(if devs keep up with the work they have been doing so far).

What kinda consolefaggotry is this?
Its an open platform you retard, you can use whatever you fucking like.

I just got community banned for hurting someone's feefees on Steam. First strike and it's 13 weeks.

Putting your account and game library at the mercy of SJW mods is a terrible investment. Avoid platforms. Just fucking pirate everything except games you want to play online. Nobody will ever care about or notice you "buying games to support developers".

And if you actually miss the friend's list then go back to fucking Facebook.

Hmmm…

You got a source or anything other than hearsay for that bud?

I made the move to GoG mostly because every game I want to play is on there and newer games don't interest me much, plus DRM free is a huge bonus.

you need to add at least 200 games to that list boyo

GOG is only good for pirating old games.

the one good thing about gog is the easy piracy it allows without waiting for cracks or anything like that, and in rare cases, like La-Mulana. I actually pirated it and then paid for it. Some of the issues are with some of the older games you need to alt-tab, or physically print out, some of the instruction manuals because the old school drm is still on there, IE what is the fifth word of the third paragraph on the 86 page of in the instruction manual.
If you own legit copies of the Witcher or ostensibly any CD project red you can get a copy redeemed to your GoG account.
I mean, that's about it, I like them I guess, but they haven't done anything to warrant an undue amount of praise imo. It's just another outlet essentially which allows for more freedom than others.
Oh, it's a big red flag if a new AAA game gets released on there like No Man's Sky was. When they announced it had a same day release on GoG that's when I knew for sure that that game would be shit.

Why would you give them money for games they never did and to companies that isn't around anymore.

Smaller install sizes too.

I have found one way of playing DOS games that "justwerks" better than GOG. It's a mac program called boxer.

It makes DOS games as stupidly simple as can be. You can drag a zip file or the directory containing the game into the program and it will add it to your "game shelf".

But the real kicker is the integrated MT-32 emulation. This gives you beautiful music.

Back when MT-32 was popular, game devs could write messages that appear on the MT-32 screen at various times in the game. This emulator allows those messages to pop up as you play the game.

Wasn't that a concession to retards wanting public achievements to brag about?

Their both shit. GOG doesn't own the monopoly on online vidya service though so go with GOG. If you weren't retarded though you'de just buy the game off the devs site or pay them directly.

the world we live in now

Apart from old games I don't see much difference. Use both, check sales, compare prices, download, go back offline.

This. Couldn't put into specific words why OP is a fag but this sums it up pretty well.

Why do buyfags you online services? Wouldnt it be better to get a physical copy? You may as well pirate the game. Its pointless to use steam or GOG unless a game is exclusive to those platforms.

How many PC games have physical copies? How many of those aren't just cardboard boxes with a Steam code in it?

This is why pc gaming is dead.

Listen to this man, OP. This is very practical and logical advice.

I have never understood the psychology behind fanboys. How they could prefer certain consoles, certain PC brands, digital distribution software and so on. It is a very dronish way of thinking.

How about neither.

nice bait, dude

ftfy

That's not XIII.

Fine, second worst, third worst, whatever. doesnt change the fact that it's a shitty meme game.

Achievements were actually demanded by devs and publishers as something GOG should have for their games to be released through that platform. Consider the ammount and "name" of the games that have been released since GOG released Galaxy.

Also, a mandatory client is also a publisher/developer demand. But it's also something that was actively asked for by GOG users as well.

Is ok

you can still use mt-32 with gog games using munt

I'm not a fanboy or anything, sir.
I was just asking for some advice tbh because I'm very unexperienced in PC gaming.
I'm not going to become a drone for a particular service or anything, it's just that whenever I see a game is avaliable on GoG I'll preffer that version over Steam's, just that (even them I'll do the research to see wich is better in specific).

Thanks for the heads up.

THE FUCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT MULDER MOTHERFUCKER?

Get out of here you scoundrel.

I'll just leave this little hash here
c872b434ad3ddc073c5468733b20340a509f4b43

Found your mistake.

You actually own the games on GOG, unlike Steam.

It's nice for the lack of DRM since i'm a moralfag. Also nice to have a smaller backlog that isn't filled with games I probably wouldn't enjoy/play anyway.

no

At this point Steam would have to royally fuck up somehow. Their warchest is obscenely huge at this point, they have almost nothing to fear.
Also
Nigga, you already have to install the game to the HDD, plus download the REST of the game off the internet in the form of 10+GB day one patches. The Disc at this point is just a DRM key.