Is the shadow warrior remake worth playing or should I just play the original one from the 90s?

Is the shadow warrior remake worth playing or should I just play the original one from the 90s?

Pirate it and judge for yourself nigger

It's not a remake, they're completely different games.

It's a weird reboot that really doesn't feel like a build engine game, like the original. Instead, it's more like Serious Sam wave combat with a couple of interesting guns and okay sword combat. The game feels nothing like the original. Lo Wang, while has the same name as the guy from the 90s, isn't really the same character.

I like the build engine Shadow Warrior better than Duke Nukem 3D, but nowhere near as much as Blood. The game is pretty okay.

New Shadow Warrior and its sequel are also okayish, but nothing groundbreaking. If you can get any of these games on the cheap or for free, I don't see why not. They're not blatantly offensive for the most part, but there are some moments and characters I dislike greatly. The companion you have in Shadow Warrior 2 is unbearable, and they want you to find her endearing. She doesn't drag the game down too much, but it's definitely a point I can't overlook.

If you have any questions further about any of these games, let me know. I'll check the thread every so often.

I found the reboot underwhelming.

It's because they more or less missed the point of DOS FPSes. They used a semi-recognizable brand that nobody necessarily asked for and made it into a different type of FPS that nobody necessarily asked for and had a pretty limited budget. Shadow Warrior did, however, get much better treatment than Duke Nukem or Rise of the Triad, as DNF and the RotT reboot were unbearably shit.

The original one is a mediocre build engine shooter.
The remake is a completely different game in terms of mechanics.
If you actually want to play a good build engine FPS then go play Blood.

It's a reboot not a remake and you should play both. They're both great for different reasons.

The first new one is awesome.
Second much less so.

Don't listen to the console faggots Holla Forums is infested with, it's an actual recent fast FPS like Painkiller.
It could be better sure, but it's good, variety of levels, variety of enemies, THE FUCKING SWORD, etc…
Grab it cheap or pirate it, but it's worth playing it.

Does it have naked HD qt anime girls?

In fact, there are hidden naked anime girls, but they're in low-res.

Play it and make your own decisions for once, faggot.

It's got fun weaponry and stuff, but the enemies all feel quite too much like bulletsponges and some of them are just a slog to fight, the health system is slightly obscured regenerating bullshit, and the level design is bland across the board. Looks beautiful though, great gore.

Yeah, but get it on sale; it often gets cut to less than $5. The katana is fun to use.

Its starts kinda mediocre then gets decent, the ending is pretty gud

2 on the other hand is a fucking trainwreck

It was also free a few days ago on humblebundle

I found it pretty great since I mostly used the katana but the guns are pretty underwhelming and it could have used more enemy variety. The bossfights also kinda suck. The story and writing weren't spectacular but were fun enough and the levels were decently interesting and varied. Overall I didn't regret the time spent on it.

Shadow Warrior 1 & 2 (the new ones) are solid. The first game is a fairly standard single-player FPS with a campaign, mild leveling (you unlock more skills and stuff as you go) and some decent mechanics. Shadow Warrior 2 implements a loot system and slightly procedural levels to get a more borderlands-ish style to it, but better. They're both worth playing, but don't expect a mind-blowing amazing shooter, and don't expect it to be anything like the original source game.

Pros:

My suggestion is to pick up the first one for cheap and if you like the general flow of combat, pick up 2. It's basically more of the same, but less linear and with some of its ideas expanded further.

The original was a second rate Duke 3D clone that absolutely everyone ignored, as the train with build games had left years earlier.

So get that, it's worse than nostalgia. It's nostalgia for something that never happened, like a bazinga geek believing that all current gen games used to be 8bit a decade back.

Yeah, looking back to it and the timeframe it was released in, its a really enjoyable and well designed game, somehow even got somewhat emotional towards the end, what they did to the second one in comparison was a fucking letdown.
They just bloated the fucking game, I want to shoot shit, not collect and upgrade literal garbage.
Most shit is half assed and it shows, had the second game been properly designed it would have been a blast, as it stands, its pretty mediocre, better than most FPS out there, but still mediocre.

Those fucking Ice monsters on the first game really let it down though, in the hardest difficulty they are a pain in the ass, and not an enjoyable one.
I love both the OG and the Reebot, I honestly think they're both worth wasting your time in, they're very different games though.

Fuckoff Randy

I only paid the first new one, but I did enjoy it. Wang is not as entertaining as he used to be, though. The story was surprisingly decent. Nothing that will amaze you, but far more than I expected. Be prepared to use your sword a lot on higher difficulties, because enemies are bulletsponges.

A recomendation I'd do is to raise the dificulty on both. The first one is piss easy and boring on "normal". Pretty much to pander to casuals. Hard dificulty doesn't bullet-sponge the enemies too much and makes you vulnerable enough that you actually think "maybe I should dodge this".

The second one, I'd advise increasing it because higher dificulty = better loot. Be prepared to get your ass kicked in the first two levels (because you start out with nothing) and then to reverse it by first equalizing it on the third and then shitting fury and vengeance by the 4th and so on.
Sadly, when you get to halfway through the game, you get enough options when building your loadout that it pretty much reverts to easy mode again. Not that it isn't fun, mind you. You just constantly rotate between 6 diferent weapons raining explosive shit around you, using Ki powers to slow down giant waves of dudes and then the magical moment where you take out your mellee on a whim and RIP AND TEAR like it's nobodies business.

Or SHTF really hard and you gotta make a run for it. Fuck, even RUNNING from shit in this game was fun.
New Lo Wang is diferent from the old one, but the dumb shit he says, sometimes really fit in.
Yeah, I had a ton of fun with the game. Sue me Randy.

Yeah, but it's the same ones from the Build Engine game. They could have made new ones or something.

Play it, it's pretty good. Just don't bother with the sequel.

Just how many times do you need to remake this thread?

The base gameplay was good, but it got bogged down by the multiple upgrades and currencies you're supposed to keep track of. I remember some of the level designs were a bit screwy as well, but I think it was mostly in the second chapter.