Now that a year has passed, did we ever find out what exactly went wrong...

Now that a year has passed, did we ever find out what exactly went wrong? Or did Sean just disappear back into the Australian outback where he came from?

meanie drumpf made nu male's sky developer's depressed and ruined their game

All hype, no game.

What went wrong was that whoever was seriously interested in the game was quite honestly retarded.

Sean and his cronies had no real experience making a game of this scope. What did they do prior to NMS?

Joe fucking Danger.

Yet people were surprised that the game bombed? Sean was practically bullshitting since day one yet he STILL got people believing in him.

Now we're supposed to believe that gamers are "the victims" while he's just one of the biggest asshats gaming's seen in a decade?

Please. If you actually bought into the NMS hype or into the anti-NMS memes, you are essentially the KS lesions on the AIDS infested industry's withering corpse.

It was a good game tbh. Everyone just wanted to get outraged because that is the "cool" thing to do now

The problem is that people KNEW the game wouldn't be what it set out to be (to them), but still bought into it anyway so they could bitch about it for e-cred.

It would've be an alright as a 5 or even 10 dollar game.

Seriously, this is what this "acclaimed" studio had worked on before No Man's Sky. Does this look like something you'd want to put on your portfolio?

By what metric do you consider it to be a 'good game'? Missing features aside, the main gameplay loop is mind-numbingly dull, and has no pay-off. Let's not pretend there's any mysteriously missed features about the game that make it worth your time.

Have there been any anons who thought this game was going to be shit and bought it regardless?

Spore is a good game.

There are cute ruskie girls playing it making dragons for them to dream about.

NMS is crap. Nobody plays it.

Probably very few of those, though I guarantee there were plenty that pirated it for the sake of shitposting (screencaping mostly).

Honestly even if the game delivered what it promised, what it promised sounded like boring shit in the first place. The only people excited for it were bandwagoning hipsters who don't actually like video games. And that includes anyone here who might have been actually excited for it.

The point is that that is ALL they worked on before No Man's Sky. Yet people honestly expected them to be able to deliver.

Even if Sean was totally honest, he still wouldn't have succeded. He was fucked either way so he chose the fuck it, I'll bullshit them route because he knew he'd get their money either way.

The problem with gaming today = normalfags who refuse to do research, then bitch about being shat on by devs. Maybe if they took a few fucking seconds to do their research instead of going "well, it's popular so it MUST be good," you wouldn't see stories like this all the time.

I don't know if any anons here did, but I'm willing to bet a lot of normalfags, etc in general did. There's no way someone could justify believing in the hype from a rando studio whose only work prior was JOE DANGER.

All those people who were making video after video, negative review after negative review, etc have no on else to blame but themselves.

Sure, Sean's a filthy liar, but he's probably surprised NMS became as big as it was to begin with. Again, the only thing he made prior was Joe Danger.

That alone should've been the end of anyone's hype. NMS is good on paper but execution-wise, it needed someone with more experience.

How similar was the hopeful talk-up hype to this compared to Star Citizen?

Did the developers ever cite the reason why the game wasn't good or did they just ignore all criticism?

AKA today's target audience.

Hey now, you're forgetting Joe Danger 2 :^)

I just write and post. I don't even use Reddit - never have, likely never wil.

Touche, user.

Well you obviously haven't fucking lurked enough to learn how to post here.

They straight up disappeared from the internet for months and acted like nothing ever happened until I think GDC this year.

The only explanation I can think of is the game was never meant to be anything more than a simple tech demo from some algorithm, but some dumbshit at sony misunderstood what it was supposed to be and decided to throw a bunch of money at it. So out of nowhere they were forced to add the facade of a game to a tech demo and lie/tell half truths for a while before snapping up a bunch of money from retards buying the game at launch before abandoning the name and using that money to buy some private island in the caribbean and never be heard from again. Honestly if it were me in the same situation, I probably would have done the same.

He shouldn't have lied
He shouldn't have expected players to not explore the ins and outs of the game so quickly
He shouldn't have promised so much shit
————–
Bottom line, he shouldn't have fucking lied.

And maybe people shouldn't have believed in him in the first place and did their due research on his work prior to NMS to see that even if he was honest and cool from the get go, he wouldn't have succeeded anyway.

But we live in an age where it's easy to just blame everyone else instead of take personal responsibility for our own faults. Sure, by all means, hate on Sean. He deserves it. Just don't claim you're a victim when you're just as much a problem as he is.

Relax, user. Do some shoulder stretches.

I didn't buy his game, you giant midget. But it is because he lied that you could see the failure coming from a mile away.

In all seriousness, is spore really that bad, I mean the idea honestly sounds neet. I mean I've seen homer head as actual ailen so, can't be that horrible.

"You can do anything" turned out to mean "Minecraft without half the shit that made Minecraft interesting".

Nothing, literally nothing.
Perfect fucking plan, executed brilliantly too. You can only adore the man for this genius con.

At least he taught some normalfags to think before they buy AAA shit.

>that (((nose)))

They'll keep falling for the same hype bullshit they always have, they're called normalfags for a reason.

Spore is just like NMS in that what the final game was supposed to be compared to the actual release were two different games. Spore wanted to focus on the entire scope of evolution right down to the atoms forming into molecules that then become DNA, but instead you get microbes turning into animals turning into sentient animals forming tribes then cities then spesh. It's not a horrible game, but it's highly flawed for sure and is not as replayable as you would expect from a game all about evolution.

Those graphs need APB for the ultimate shitty trifecta.

It feels great being able to spot them at a glance now

Game studio with none of the skills by all of the hype of a Triply AYYY superstar game turned out to live up to lack of skills that everyone should have been aware of in the first place.

Was thinking the same thing too. First thought in my head was

The reminder box needs to also include an Ouya, a not-yet-assembled Mighty No 9 box, and a Star Shitizen jpeg.

Did I say you bought it, user? I'm speaking in general terms about the people who did. Those who did are the problem. Those of us who did not - I never even heard of it until it blew up - are not the problem.

Very simple formula.

But then how could they get famous regurgitating every other channel's shitty video about it for e-cred?

We live in an age where people aren't interested in solving problems, but in the manufacturing of problems to maintain their relevance.

Who's the better con man? Murray or Megaman jap dude?

Neither. Chris Roberts.

Its like taxation on retards.

I completely agree if you mean after the updates that rebalanced the game and fixed the crashing issue

and we still have Cucked Citizen to look forward too!

I dunno, he's running the long game but I don't think he'll get away with the money as well as Conman and Todd Murray

I wonder.
If the game had never been sniffed up by the massive jewnose of Sony and hyped beyond the limits of sanity - if it had just been a quiet humble little release for $15 that popped up on distribution platforms one day without fanfare - would people still be in an uproar over it?

The game's shit, but most games are shit and you don't see this kind of constant hate directed at all of them. Sony throwing them into the spotlight must have been the worst thing that ever happened to Hello Games.

No man's sky is a solid base for a good game, I can see the potential of what it could've been.

I'm definitely convinced that if sony hadn't picked up the advertising, and the game released in the same state for 15$, and then kept getting small updates down the line it could've been actually fun.

SC will go down in history as the one game that has led to the most number of murder/suicides in the history of gaming. I can't fucking wait for the trainwreck to go underway and watch all the furries and goons wallow in despair as all their hoarded jpegs become worthless.

It's broken on a fundamental level. It would work if it actually simulated a whole galaxy like the old Elite did, then being able to actually land on a planet with living flora and fauna (no matter how repetitive and nonsensical it might be) would have been a technological leap forward (after more than 20 years, mind you), the ships were different in more ways than the cargo space, you could equip different suits and guns, there were factions to trade and fight with, the ability to be a merchant, mercenary or pirate, etc.

Basically, if you took the procedurally generated planets, fixed that shit and then threw the rest of the game in the trash and bolted Elite on top, then yeah, it would be a promising start.

SOON

Have to confess I'm still a little confused over the Loan thing. Are they actually out of money, or is it for some other shady reason? There's been a fair bit of denial of course among the Shitizens, but It's been hard to find info on the clear picture.

Who fell for the ouya tho. Not even normalfags from what I recall

I know there were updates, did they do anything interesting or was it all just damage control?

hmm yes that might have worked well. Frontier (Elite2) with some nice planets and ship/graphics update. Instead we got pic related.

Well the loan documents are available if you really looked but let me run it down for you:

This bank owns their balls.

People already had a mobile phone ie. an ARM based gaming platform. The Ouya had no fucking market.

The design shift didn't kill Spore, it would have wound up an inch deep either way because they were effectively trying to make 5 games simultaneously. It's more like Star Citizen than NMS.

They added the option to build bases obviously lifted from Subnautica, in a game where you're supposed to be constantly on the move. I don't know what followed that, if anything did.

They added vehicles and survival mode. The base game is still boring as fuck though

An indie developer would struggle to create one planetoid with enough fun things to see and do, muh less a billion.

Obviously it started off as a tech demo that they managed to sell as a game to gullible normalfags before the jig was up and the news of its shallow gameplay became widespread. You have to admire the cleverness of the scam. If I didn't give a fuck about my reputation I would attempt the same thing, like Yandere Dev and his vaporware.

Anyone with a decent grasp of modern computing should realize how if you're going to simulate a billion planets, something has to be sacrificed. It turns out it was the gameplay.

A bunch of inexperienced no-name guys try to make a simple walk 'em up but somehow got swept into the hype train by Sony's marketing team and the fools who believed them.

>(((Atheist))) (((Jews))) are too fucking retarded to function in the real world
Reminder that Soros with family has a lifetime ban from Entering Israel for financing a palestinian guerilla.

This gift never stops giving

wew goy

Ahh, my favorite one.
I remember back in YanSim threads I'd try to warn people, telling them that after all the time YanDev had spent working on the game and how little he had to actually show for it, that it would be no good. They didn't listen, plenty of tards told me "don't bully the devs!".
Then he had some fat Tumblrcunt to do voices. Again, I said it was evidence that this was already going downhill, they instead claimed "it's a placeholder voice, it won't be in the final build".
And then the cunt went mental. And all of a sudden everybody hates him for the same reasons I tried to warn them about. I got everything I wanted and yet the victory is bittersweet.

I'm Jewish though.
lmao

wow, aren't you the greatest? you want a medal or something?

I am pretty good, thanks buddy

Get into the oven

Just like with everything else, a Jew, Mark specifically, was to blame for the faggotry of Yandev and all the cancer it produced. He was the one that banned people for rightfully shitting on the Semitic faggot.

lmao.

The only good jew is a dead one

Surprisingly, Sean didn't outright disappear, he just went completely silent during the creation of the first major update, the pathfinder one, and while it does provide additional modes, but they are nothing to write home about and still ignore the main problems with the game.

It's cool that you can buy bigger, better ships, up to a flagship-level freighter, or run around in land vehicles to make land exploration less of a chore and also build bases, but it's still more of the same: collect resources to make upgrades so that you can collect more resources, the ending's still a piece of shit, the game still has no purpose, and the """""side quests""""" are just repackaged versions of collecting more resources.

Supposedly, in the coming days there'll be a major anouncement regarding another major update to the game, but what boggles me is that, in spite of the devs' purpose of living up to the game's potential, they don't fix the core issues with the game, instead they're just content with tacking on modes and features to a tremendously long, boring chore.

My cousin likes this game.
Then again he's a literal retard.
I don't really know anything about it except there's a spaceship and bases and a laser gun.

So they tried to go from 3d motocross maniacs to a space survival game?
No wonder it flopped as hard as it did.

What came out of the bank buying it, by the way ? The devs assured that "You were wrong, we didn't sold Scam Citizen", but there were nothing that shown the actual selling, or anything since then.

NEVER
FUCKING
TRUST
A
(((BRITISH)))
"DEVELOPER"
(unless they are making a racing game)

I trusted Big Red and Level9.

wait, what?

Someone post the squeak interview. God help you user.

they charged $60 for a tech demo and forgot to put a game in it

But Wright was working pretty well on it until either EA wanted the game simplified for a wider market last minute and/or a creationist on the team got real butthurt about the theme.

You didn't hear the story of what happened? There was a split in the dev team between people who wanted Wright's vision, or the cartoony vision we got.

The EA thing and the Creationist guy are the two main things I hear about when spore is mentioned.

You should play a game before you criticize it.

Same. I should probably give Holla Forums a break for awhile, but there's just so many happenings.

Kill

Yourself

Faggot

:^)

It lacks the sentence about social justice being strengthened by bones of enemies of the people.

The lips are more revealing than the nose.
That is a american native nose.

No Man's Sky was an experiment. Sean and his friends wanted to test and see if literally nothing but procedural generation could make a good video game, even in the total absence of gameplay, story, or programming talent.

The experiment was a failure, but unfortunately they also proved that making a video game out of nothing but procedural generation and lies can still make you a fuckload of money.

I have literally never seen a YT video with that high of a downvote/upvote ratio.

Even in the furry community, "squeakers" are fucking abhorred. They're on the very bottom along with the diaperfags and actual child molesters.

Kill Yourself user.

Wow, the bank owns all the spaceship jpgs?

Yes. Pictures of fake spaceships that no one will ever use even in the context of a game (because it will never be made) are literally collateral for a loan. We are in the timeline where Rare Pepes are ACTUAL CURRENCY.

< What a time to be alive

This still isn't known.

Holy shit, really?

This is everything that went wrong in a nutshell

General Liberal Incompetence™

I can't tell if you're shilling, or so utterly contrarian that you would defend this broken mess. Nobody fucking liked it. It would be like defending Sonic '06 at this point.

Ya that image says it all to be honest. There was no reason nor reward for almost everything in the game, and when you beat it and get all upgrades the player simply starts over from scratch with the same everything aside the names changed. Not only that no world looked like the ones they showed and instead it was "real space" in that 99% of everywhere was a barren landscape.

From what I've seen, it was actually even worse than we assumed before its release. You spend more time painstakingly micromanaging your inventory because the game handles and stacks items in such an awful way, and your gun constantly needs fuel to mine and shoot, and then you need to constantly build anti-environment protection, and then there's ship fuel and warp fuel and all kinds of other shit to clutter your tiny inventory, which you also need to find blueprints in random bases just so you can scrape together the materials to build a slightly better gun or backpack… and the real fucking kicker here is that you can get duplicates of blueprints, so you can spend hours and hours jumping between planets trying to find more bases to get blueprints and still never get the thing you need to make the game remotely more tolerable.

Stop blaming Sony, Sean was the one lying on the interviews and hyping people with lies.
If you blame the publisher, then the developer can use the victim card "hurr durr i didn't want to be on the spotlight, they forced me".
Sean is a lying rat that should be sued into oblivion and banned from the industry.
not a sonyfag, i also hate them but for different reasons

They're obviously both at fault, user, but Sony first and foremost because they financed that massive marketing campaign even though they knew the game was total horseshit. He'd still have shilled his nothing game without them, but his betacuck whimperings of "p-p-please play my g-g-game" would have been completely ignored.

There are thousands of shitty devs out there churning out hundreds of terrible games every month. We mostly only hear about the few barely-polished turds that major publishers drop a $5million marketing spotlight on.

Sean's at fault for making the piece of shit, but Sony's at fault for making everybody aware of it.

What they showed looked good and what they promised was easily achievable. There wasn't anything that was supposed to be in NMS that hadn't already been done in other games. They just hadn't all been done in one game. And with the backing of a monolith like Sony it was pretty reasonable to expect they could deliver.

The problem is that what they promised wasn't even that good and they still failed to deliver on most of the cool shit they advertised.

The real stupidity came towards the release date where they literally had nothing worth showing and the painfully obvious shilling and covering the usual fucktards were doing.

I think the panel of "journalists" discussing the game and flipping their shit on one of their co-workers for asking "What do you actually do in No Man's Sky?" was a pretty high point in the overall shitstorm.

That was a red flag so large it could block out the fucking sun

The last panel is subtle.