Its AM2R All Over Again. Blizzard Threatens Lawsuit; Shuts Down Legacy Server on Day One

gamerevolution.com/news/342355-legacy-wow-server-faces-lawsuit-day-launch
archive.is/qRwED

How will Blizzdrones defend this level of jewry? This pisses me off and I never played WoW outside of a free-week trial 5 years ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

please
archive.is/JogsM
archive.is/1IXNh
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not news anymore

To play doubles advocate for a moment

Etc the list goes on

The big money making servers with increased rates and P2W cash shops stay open while the good servers get taken down ASAP

There's rumors that the letter was actually fake, but I can't find the screencap. Either way it was bound to get shut down sooner or later though.

This was a 4-year project though.

Also read the article
Basically they think that this proves that their changes are shit and that nobody fucking likes them. They're bleeding their massive profits they once had on this game but they want to keep their heads in the sand because of course their precious WoW team is infallible and its just the community who's wrong

Christ, Blizzdrones really are worse than the Nintendrones.
If you were in my house in real life I'd drown you in the toilet because of how little worth you have as a human being.

fuck off, it's false. Turns out Gummy is a fucking retard who was too retarded despite people telling him that the server being run in the US was a bad idea and he also couldn't comprehend how the well scripted server would attract more than 700 people like he initially thought.

TL;DR
Gummy pulled a scriptcraft again and now runs felmyst as a private server for him and his 10 friends

Also, it's Blizzard. Did you expect something different, OP?

We know, you stupid nigger, there were like twenty actually just two threads about it

Felmyst was the server those faggots that tried to charge people to use their discord server were shilling like crazy a week ago.
Good fucking riddance.

If that's true then fuck them. Got any proof though?

It is baffling, BAFFLING, that mod developers/hackers/amateur game devs still do this.

How many examples do they need? Ia the phrase "those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" not famous enough?

I think that was the discord group shitposting user.

They dont even play WoW games anymore, they just circle jerk and shitpost a lot.

The threads are long gone and I don't think anyone had the presence of mind to archive them. They were made by some of the people that were part of the old Holla Forums Horde guild back on Nostalrius.
All I remember about them is that whenever the fee was brought up in the threads, the discord faggots would show up for damage control. Kinda like this guy here.

If I was going to invest four years of my time into anything at all, particularly violating copyright, I'd take basic steps to ensure that I couldn't be sued at the end of it.

I feel no pity for these people. It is through their suffering that the next generation shall learn the hard lessons.

Isn't there a way to illegitimately play this shitty game without making it some sort of official thing with real people's names behind it?
You know like playing cracked minecraft or cracked halo?

did you know that gummy is STILL running a server and that is playing on it?
ill provide a screenshot soon

Getting C&D'd gives them more attention than anything else they could possibly do.

That's an old meme one of the guild autists created to fuck with random redditors who wanted into the guild. People actually buying it are fucking retarded.

Gummy is an aspie who put his real world info out there and was shocked when it bit him in the ass. When the shutdown happen I went over to plebbit and sure enough gummy apologists out the ass. Elyiscum rounding people up, warmane faggots trying to convince people their server wasn't garbage.

Pretty much, even if Gummy's server had taken off most of that discord just shits it's collective pants, posts gay shit and does everything but do what it was originally created for.

heres a screen of the who list from maybe a day or three ago on felmyst after the server was supposedly shut down

in fact, i wouldnt be surprised if a month or two from now gummy says:
"hey guys the C&D letter was a big fat lie the server didn't actually go down you can play on it now"
and then theres with a ton of 70s on the server already decked out in epics a few days before he even re-releases it to the public, and he doesn't wipe the server either

So was every other shitty private server.
None of them are open source so all progress is lost. The creators don't want to make them open source because they want to profit off of the private servers.

Those are probably operated as a front for Blizzard itself. They know where the money is, it's just better PR all around to pretend you're not involved.

WoW is dying because young kids don't want to play MMOs anymore. Adults, with their lives eaten by their jobs, also can't afford to put more than a few hours in at a time. For an MMO to survive it essentially needs NEETS and even NEETS are done with the genre.

You are a faggot, op. Obviously you can't compare private server with completely new game built from scratch.

If TF2V taught me is even when shit is opened source if you peeve off the special snowflakes running the original source code, suddenly Open source doesn't mean open source and means "You can't take the thing we left out in public" even when GNUs state it's 100% to click that clone button.

Private servers tend to be shit mainly because they use the same shitty emulation base that has bare minimum fixes to it. the private servers taking from it never release their fixes unless they can supplant a few of the coders into another private server. then it's "selective source"

Read what he wrote. Most of these servers never put the code they worked on back into the git repos they take from so their fixes and work arounds are lost to time. Private servers are essentially big dickwaving contests

When it comes to the morons hosting them, yes. That is almost always the case.

If they're around to benefit from it, yes.
When it happened to ElDewrito, it was hilarious.

Not being open source doesn't mean that they don't have their own code any more. Getting a C&D doesn't mean you have to dump everything down the memory hole, it just means you can't publish it any more.

Its more about the time it took to make it, but you're right.

Those faggots have been sitting on their asses for ages. the whole "Project anvil" thing is frozen right now. I talked to the Project Cartographer devs and they're pretty much the only devs still working on shit in terms of "Halo on PC" games. Contingency and Installation 01 are both looking to be generic shit and neither team is usign their own framework, instead relying on 3rd party software to handle the heavy lifting of back end handling and stat tracking for them. Hope you have a google account :^)

You can, technically. Nothing stops a user from changing their online handle, changing the name of the code they use and the references and then releasing it into the wild.

You don't need Legacy servers, goyim! After all, there's no demand! No one wants them! People keep making them for no reason!

Oy vey! It's anuddah shoah!

I am 200% mad right now.
Blizz are only doing this because they butthurt people don't like their changes.
Vidya companies have become so anti-consumer it's not even fucking funny.
>WHY IS PIRACY ON THE RISE!? - many game companies
IT'S ON THE RISE YOU'RE STARTING TO ACT LIKE THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IN THE 90'S
FUCKING HELL
THE ABSOLUTE ARROGANCE TO SHIT ON YOUR FANS THIS MUCH IS ENRAGING

There is no way they did it within 5 hours. and recent evidence has shown it's more or less Gummy faking it.

Felmyst still exists, but for him and his friends only.

you could always make your own server, but unless you're changing the stats of the game to be playable as singleplayer, there wouldn't be much of a point

Do you not remember AM2R?

I am not even disagreeing with you user.
I am just sayin all I saw was mostly shit posting and I think it was because of the discord group.

He is the anti-cuck

lmao, skins and cash shops weren't enough

Nothing will ever be enough.

He also made Firefall, and during beta it was a fun and unique game.

Then they booted him out for spending too much money (in their opinion) and the game got turned into a standard MMO. It wasn't SWG NGE bad, but it was bad.

Indeed. Checked. Including ID.

I believe that Blizzard is split up in the vanilla servers thing.
Probably a sector of the company wants to set them for money and/or PR stunts and another doesnt want because it would mean that the current game is not perfect and someone made mistakes.
Probably there is someone in a very VERY high position vetoing the idea and until he leaves or gets "demoted" there wont be any legacy servers.

I work on a big multinational and decissions like that tend to be vetoed from people who made the changes to the status quo, i wouldnt be surprised if this is the same.

I will never understand why projects like this don't stay anonymous and get someone in a place like Russia that doesn't give a fuck about western copyright law to host the servers. Or release the source so someone else can take over. I don't think anyone expects to profit but there sure as fuck are egos involved.

Can you blame them? It's been like two and a half years since Nostalrius.

Blizzard could solve all of this by offering legacy servers, but they refuse to listen to pre-corruption Gaben: Piracy is a service issue.

And nothing of value was lost.

I hope they never do it because having a bunch of people who've almost quit their addiction fall right back into it, this time paying money again, would just be sad.

Did they expect Blizzard not when they were hyping it up?

They have two choices, really:
Nowhere does copyright law require them to hunt for infringement, only to sue when they find it. They can stop looking for private servers, and then it's just a matter of outing snitches who report servers to Blizzard.

They never used to pull this shit ten years ago. They only started now that subs are dropping.

They've been doing it since at least 2008:
please use archive.is/2008/12/05/blizzard-legal-targets-private-servers/
please use archive.is/2009/10/29/blizzard-files-lawsuit-against-private-server/

My bad: archive.is/JogsM and archive.is/1IXNh

We had a thread on this very server up for days but you decide to join the discussion by shilling a news site.

Its a white-listed site and I still included the archive anyways

Technically it is not their IP. People are not pirating WoW, people are using their legitimate WoW copies to connect to a server that is not Blizzard's. These servers were not developed by stealing any code from Blizzard, they were developed through reverse engineering, which is legal.

Nothing was being stolen, or pirated, except nuBlizzard's pride.

Why do they always set up their servers in the US, where Blizzard are, or France, where Blizzard EU are?

Really makes you think.

Ten years ago private server quality was pretty much trash and the game was still appealed to a majority of the playerbase. Nowadays the retail game is shit and private server quality is up significantly, to the point where the people who run these servers can label them Blizzlike, as in they emulate the real deal close enough, with only some bugs to be ironed out and raids to be scripted better than they currently are.

Because gummy is retarded. All it took was a knock on his door for him to shut down everything. What he should have done was have someone in Europe host it and he could pretend he had nothing to do with it.

If retards would stop talking about the servers there wouldn't be as much server shut downs. Blizzard can't see they haven't heard about it when people are talking about it on their own forums + leddit (where blizzard has community managers)

I don't even know if there is any law that favors Blizzard or any other MMO developer in the cases of private servers, their terms of use of the client are toilet paper in court. What probably happens is that Blizzard has enough resources to bully people into stopping hosting their private servers.

Before I considered them on equal levels of scumbag.

they just send a threat and the people running the servers fold right away

Thats more or less how C&D letters work, if you dont stop we will ruin you in court for 5 years, you will lose health, money, time and more, we just need to throw our overpayed jew lawyers a bone to keep them entertained.

Even if you win in court you will still get wrecked.

The only hope is for blizzard to die, but they have three more life support games that keep them running.

They're also joined with Activision and Hollywood at the hip.

They have to be making their own legacy server, if they love money so much they should see that people want it.

If he got C&D'd, what's stopping him from *accidentally* leaking the server code to some Russians? Incompetence?

code baby

I wonder why exactly they are so keen on forcing people to play the garbage expansions.

Warcraft is a propaganda machine now, arguably always was but it's way more blatant now, and they are adamant on forcing you to either sit through their linear story shlock or you don't get to "play" at all.