ARPG Thread

I've been playing Van Helsing recently (have 22 hours so far) and its the first game in awhile that isn't a VN that I've had a great time playing for hours rather than stopping in 40 minutes. There's surprisingly few people discussing it (if any) and anything about it is filled with "Diablo clone shit". Any ARPG's anons had a good time with or been playing recently and what are other games with a good gothic setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodolddownloads.com/?game=1448013298
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because its shit. The only good thing about is usage of slavic folklore instead of default folklore. The rest is shit.

Might as well repost my request there.
Are there any jap ARPGs with the accent on random loot and class building, like in diablo clones?
I tried to play PSO and didn't like it. I don't mind old 2D games, but 3D ones just don't fly with me.
I also got recommended Lodoss War for Dreamcast and it looks pretty bad as well as I don't want to bother with dreamcast emulation.

Are there any other options? Games like YS or Shining series just don't have enough emphasis on loot and different character classes.

Why is it shit Satan? Lore, setting and story are usually high priorities on my list which is why I picked it up

What makes it better than any other ARPG? Why are you having a great time?

I also really enjoy gothic fantasy type stories compared to high fantasy stories which seems like alot in the genre at first glance, its also the first game I've tried within the ARPG genre. I wouldn't say its better gameplay-wise as I'm sure there is something better in that department but for the story it suits me. The loot you get if you explore for special quest is nice and clearing out new areas isn't a chore.

So you mean it's fucking gay?

I'm curious if there are more games like Victor Vran where it has the whole loot deal of the diablo-likes, but has a different style of gameplay. For those of you who haven't played it Victor Vran is more action oriented, you can jump, walljump, dodge and kind of aim your attacks.

You got a reply in the other thread. Shining Soul 2 on GBA. Plays like a mana game with classes and random diablo loot.

Just played Grim Dawn for a week. It was fun but got old really fast. Can't really find a game that balances wading through hordes of enemies without the nonsense of the magic one killing you in 1 hit.
I'll take a look at Van Helsing. Don't remember seeing it on IGG.

I got the torrent for the complete pack of the first game from freegogpcgames, its a magnet link. You can find the Final Cut version which is all three games together with changes to the how the classes work, on goodolddownloads, caveat is that it uses mirrors, not torrents but their selection is more up to date.

**Typed this then decided to just send links but the sites are useful info for those who don't know. Use openload as your mirror.

goodolddownloads.com/?game=1448013298

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:b96aee8246430a041465ca6772352cc1ebeadaee&dn=The+Incredible+Adventures+of+Van+Helsing%3A+Complete+Pack-GOG&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969**

If Katarina has a ghost benis then sure.

Has anyone here played Wolcen? I know it's early access garbage, but how does it fare up so far?

I've seen Xanadu Next mentioned before in one of these threads, but i haven't played it.

Speaking of Grim Dawn
Any news on when the two new masteries are going to hit?

I've also been on the fence about Wolcen.

But as for Xanadu Next, I can say it's worthwhile. It's more Ys-y/Zelda-y than most ARPGs, but I enjoy it and respect that it isn't an over the top numbers lootfest.

I have 26 hours in Van Helsing but I can't remember any of it. I mean, it's a good timewaster, but it didn't specifically stand out to me. I remember all 8 hours of Grim Dawn, but that never seemed to have hooked me, and I got bored with that almost immediately.

I'm not sure why on either game, but I guess I liked Van Helsing better over Grim Dawn. But considering I can't remember any of it, that's not really saying much.

Of COURSE a retarded faggot that 'plays' VNs would find Van Helsing enjoyable

I remember anons talking about this game before. Mind telling me more?

Sheeeit, I remember Trickster. Cute game, but I remember not getting very far in it. The grind seemed kinda brutal.

Was just posted today on their forum. I give it another 1-2 months before the expansion hits.

Also Pyromancer is the best class in the game tbh

I got Diablo 3 since it was on sale a month or so ago and I'm pretty dissatisfied with it. There's no challenge on the hardest difficulty. I can throw myself into every battle with reckless abandon and have no fear of death 99% of the time.

They may as well given all the enemies 1 hit point for all the difference it makes for the gameplay.

Grim Dawn isn't what I would consider "hard" but it actually punishes you for playing stupid. You have to manage your skills properly and adapt to different bosses and environments. I just don't get that at all from Diablo 3. Countless dialbo 3 boss fights are done in less than 20 seconds. I use one or two no joke skills and the battle is over. No challenge. No threat of death. Just fucking instagib.

They're not available from the start and I shouldn't have to cheese a character to 70 to unlock what should be available by default. Honestly the only way to have a challenging vanilla run in Diablo 3 are self imposed restrictions like no followers and grey weapons only.

What play testing division went through the game and thought the vanilla difficulty was at all acceptable?

Diablo 3 is just WoW: ARPG Edition. The challenge comes from doing greater rifts and even then once you get to a certain keystone level, it's more about fishing for the right mob types than it is the actual difficulty. The whole game is an embarrassment to the ARPG genre and the only good quality is the polish which is to be expected from a billion dollar company.

Unfortunately because it's made by Blizzard their legion of fanboys won't wait a second to spend their savings on their games which enables them to push out more hot garbage until every Blizzard series is inevitably tarnished.

I blame it on their 2008 merger with Activision. Everything has been downhill since then.

There's Victor Vran. I haven't played it but I got it on humble bundle.

The main character is voiced by Geralt's voice actor and the movement has some acrobatics and skill involved.

Nevermind I see it was mentioned before now

Cool
Thats what, Arcanist and Pyro?
I´m currently running Arcanist+ Occultist and I dont even know well its going to perform in the long run after my previous combination, (Occultist+Shaman)where I wanted to play as a summoner, got only gear that boosted melee

I hear that anything with Arcanist/Soldier in it can't really go wrong build-wise.

Their RR is nice, but most of their auto-attack builds are mediocre, and they can't do melee worth a shit. Also, not having a teleport makes farming with them a pain in the ass.

Speaking of Humble Bundle, Grim Dawn is 50% off if anyone is interested in trying it (would recommend)

Pyromancer is Demolitionist + Occultist.

I'm trying a pet build myself after finding a guide on the forum that killed the Mad Queen in 5 seconds. It's shaping up to be pretty nice so far, even completely untwinked.

Are you going for a Panetti's Replicating Missiles build? Tried it once, was pretty fun imo.

I've always liked Pyro simply for the fact that it has arguably the best buffs and debuffs in the game.

You mean like Blitz and Shadow Strike? Could always use something like the Riftstone component if you really wanted some mobility.

I assume you mean Solael's witchfire and Curse of Frailty? Problem is that both complement soldier as well, and soldier gives you excellent durability, the ability to choose between 1H/Shield and ranged, and more armor, OA, and DA. Also, Cadence is almost certainly better than Fire strike for most builds. The only thing you really lose from Dem is flashbang, AOE potential, and some resist reduction from blackwater cocktail.

Flame Touched, Blood of Dreeg (not technically a buff but you can have it up 24/7) Vindictive Flame, Flashbang, Curse of Frailty and Blackwater Cocktail. Can't think of class combo with as good a selection of buffs and debuffs. And of course Blast Shield is one of the best defensive procs in the game.

To be fair though I'm basing this on the fact I'm playing a summoner, in which case Pyro is superior to Witchblade imo.

Well I wanted to go Arcanist+Nightblade for the heals "spell" and the debuff aura that makes enemies slow down, but decided against it

No
This is my second playthrough so I try to figure out things on my own and I generally have a distaste for builds

Victor Vran is really fun, usually I come to these games just looking for something with a skelemancer, but this time I found an actually good game with tight combat and completely devoid of skinnerbox mechanics.

You missed out. Shadow Strike spellbreaker was probably the best glass cannon build in the game until very recently.

Coming from the direction of a pet build, that makes a lot more sense. It's amazing that they haven't seriously nerfed blast shield yet, considering it's one skill but is on par with CoF and Blood of Dreeg combined for tank builds.

Wouldn't be surprised if Blast Shield is nerfed in the expansion.

Also looking forward to building a true dual wielding gunslinger with the Inquisitor mastery. Fire Strike builds were awesome, but I'm thinking Inquisitor + Arcanist might be the way to go.

It's a shame that a game that reminds me of the Champions of Norrath games have to be bogged down with the baggage that is Actiblizz but after seeing the PC version it could have been a lot worse. I would even say it's worth a purchase if you can find it under 20 shekels.

bump

What game? Image search only gives me league of legends.

I've heard good things about console D3. What makes it so much better than the PC version?

Also,

God tier series. Makes me want to get my Ps2 out and play Return to Arms.

It's called CrossCode.

CrossCode

Oh man, these changes that are currently going on in Path of Exile beta, fucking devs are going crazy nerfing the shit out of everything.

Is Van H worth the time? Was looking at getting this, until I noticed I had Titan Quest 10th ED. Loaded it up today and man I knocked like 6 hours straight. Can't recall the last time I did that. Trying a hunter/druid build, think my build so far sucks, but still fun to play

Name of the Grim Dawn expansion was shown on stream just now if anyones interested

Btw he said it'll cost between $10 to $20 which is pretty reasonable especially compared to Blizzjew's $15 Witch Doctor 2.0 patch

Looks like it's early access and people talk about a demo, is the game fully finished yet?

No
Story got expanded a little in a patch a month or two ago and now stops shortly after finishing the second temple/getting the second element and there are still some placeholder in the skill tree(s), but gameplay wise you can still go on and do quests in the next area
Don´t know though if you can access the third temple already though

Menhir's will + Blast shield leads to some truly hilarious levels of "neener neener can't ever kill me"

I'm playing it now anyway, seems pretty fun. Although I think there should be a quickchange key between melee and shooting for the mouse, it's hard to move with WASD while trying to hit melee for some directions.

They added a dedicated keybind for melee and ranged attacks a couple patches ago
Also the game dynamically switches between ranged and melee depending on how far the cursor is away from Lea in case you didnt know

The biggest thing is that it's behind as fuck on the updates so the classes still feel unique and because the retards can't code for shit the console versions were more or less left alone while the PC version got raped by "balance". The gameplay of D3 on the console really reminds me of a sharper, but muddier, version of RtA. Like I said, I wouldn't pay more than 20 american dollery doos for it but if you are really curious there is a demo out there so you can feel how it controls with a controller. But for the love of god, find a used physical copy and deny Actiblizz your shekels.

If there was a sliding scale between "Action" and "RPG" then D3 is so far on the Action side it breaks the scale. In that respect it's a solid-ish game, but you really, really have to consider it in a void. Otherwise you end up comparing it to good action games and it fails, or good ARPGs, where it fails, or other Diablo games, where it fails. It really only succeeds set aside games like Champions of Norrath, which is so jank but has a great amount of charm that it's still fun.

…Man, now I want to play Diablo 2 again.

That's good to know. Man this game is quite challenging, even normal enemies on Bergen Trail seem pretty fucking rough if you aggro more than three. Maybe I'll try it with a gamepad.

Try upgrading your equipment and check the level the enemy has
Sometimes its just the enemy level being high that fucks your shit up

ARPG are just shitty casual action games that rpgfag cancer can handle

FPS are just shitty casual action games that /k/fag cancer can handle

:^(

Jesus I'm in love with this game

I've played it but didn't get very far. It feels very stripped down compared to most ARPGs, despite technically having some more going on thanks to the relationships between races and all that.

Its pretty good, but the the Temple dungeons can go eat a dick
even if they look pretty and are pretty long

I want to like path of exile but every build is just one ability its so boring fuck.,

what's this point and click shit?
ACTION role playing games is stuff like the souls games or gothic

yeah, they revealed a logo couple of days ago

You have to play online and setup the server to have the enemies be artificially harder.

I love the dynamic that you go to the temples alone instead of with teammates. Reminds me of FFX.

Eh, Its okay I guess

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some grind in this game's design?

i went shaman/occultist for the same reason but decided to go full occultist with shaman survival skills. maxed out poison and chaos dmg while maxing defense and health though shaman skills. i hold up pretty good

its suppose to be some sort of an mmo world that you play in with an avatar or some gay shit. so yeah there is some grind especially when trying to get those rare materials. i played it but forgot about it. its an allright game.

Secrets of Grindea can be fun, its got story mode coop and mp coop but its not finished since EA cancer. used to have the magnet but cant find it. pirate

Yeah
Its an MMO setting so grinding is pretty much what you have to do to get some good materials/equipment

I went more melee skills, which resulted in me becoming a sort of glasscannon that can kill random mobs in 2 hits but cant take any real hits without retreating to drink a health potion

I enjoyed Van Helsing. It was clever and good fun. A real romp. The voice acting and enjoyable characters and great settings and locales carried it along. It was a while ago; I think I was retarded enough to try a 'balanced' build of both gun and melee. It worked out pretty decently, though the kiting I had to employ was brutal at times
Even though a lot of characters were just extras, they were usually entertaining and interesting for the time they were there.

Seriously CrossCode is one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. It's like Alundra with faster battle system. All I can think of with these dungeons is "this guy played Alundra a lot".

The only thing I don't like is how hard to use and seemingly unpredictable Dash specials are. The grind's a little bad early game, too. Otherwise solid 8/10.

New expansion was supposed to be about the threat the Outcast tells you about if the older forum ramblings are anything to go by. I hope that instead of the normal necromancer meme, they do a Aetherialmancer that mutates enemies and their corpses just like the aetherials.

You must mean the PS3/360 versions that got abandoned after the initial Reaper of Souls release. The PS4 and Xbox One iterations are essentially up to date with PC most of the time.

PoE will have 10 acts soon…

Only thing good about D3 is the femNECRO is cute