Just beat this. Gonna post some thoughts

Just beat this. Gonna post some thoughts.

I always told this is japanese GTA, but it's honestly more like an RPG with real time brawler combat. Honestly I found the combat really simplistic and I hope it gets better in the next game since it has a good feel but theres just no depth at all to it.
Kamurocho was cool, just wish there was more to do in it other than hostess bars which I found boring.
The story was fun and Kazuma is cool character to play as even if he is a bit stiff. I wish I got more Majima since he was easily my favorite character. I honestly didn't get much out of the Haruka bonding. It felt like a chore more than something I wanted to do. Date is a bro and I wish I could play wingman for him.

Overall I enjoyed it, above average game. Strong 6, light 7. If the sequels improve on the formula I can see this being a really great series.
I have Yakuza 2 here and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/2017/07/yakuza-studio-new-titles-presentation-set-august-26
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lemme tell you about Kiwami.

I never played the series, although I have an imported copy of 1&2 HD; I really do want to get into it. Hear you're going to love the sequels due to the vast improvements they make to the gameplay. I've heard that Yakuza 6 is very disappointing though.

I still don't know why what happened in 0 changed him so dramatically. Hopefully Kiwami will explain a bit better. Not that I dislike zany Majima, just looking to better grasp the details.

>trap ambush majima

Forgot to mention that Yakuza 3 has a fucked localization, cutting content out of the game. I don't know if the annotation in embed related is true and they went through with patching it back in. Doesn't seem that Sega repeated this same mistake with later entries in the series.

It's a mixture of a whole lotta emotional events with Makoto, including her having her own life without him at the end of the game. Then the fact that everything he went through taught him he was tired of being a puppet or rather a dog to the Yakuza. So he took on his mad dog persona to gain power, intimidate everyone, and allow him to cut loose. He's not insane. He just acts like it.

I just finished Yakuza 5 yesterday, haven't played any others.

It's one of the weirdest games I've ever played in nearly every aspect, I still don't know if I even liked it or not. It took me 40 hours to beat and the only sidequests I did was the taxi racing - 6% completion? This game is fucking huge filled with completionist shit from picking up trash to handshaking idol events. I'm with OP thinking that overall it's a soft 7, hard 6, the graphics are all over the place at times and controls aren't too responsive in fights.

I also have Yakuza 4, is it worth it to play it after 5?

Forgot to mention this
Fucking hell I got a good laugh out of amazing grace being played as the credits song. Probably not the reaction they intended. Such a weird choice.

Also give me all your yakuza images. I have need of them.

Oh I'm well aware he's just acting and enjoying it, that's plenty obvious. I still don't think it'd be as easy as he makes it to go from a guy who does good things while being willing to do it underhandedly to Kefka-crazy 24/7. If we get to see him drop the facade even if just privately just once, along with some needed relief/relaxation away from it I think I could accept it.

Ia it bad enough that I should skip it and wait for a fan translation like Ace Combat 3?

That's the entire series summed up.

Later/earlier games have Majima shift around from being crazy to being calmer as he gets older. He still always has that facade through every game. It's what makes him stand out compared to Kiryu.

ITT: user says shit everybody already knows since the year 2006

The second fight with him in Yakuza 1 did have him drop the persona a little bit. He's holding onto this girl as Kazuma arrives and asks her if she wants to be his girl. She says "i have a boyfriend" and he just calmly lets her go saying "i like honest women, now get out of here." no dramatics to it.

Thanks for this anons. My experience with this series is really limited and Majima just stuck out as the most relatable, or at least understandable. Him needing to give up so many things he cared for so life could be better for everyone made him even more sympathetic.

mckys

Hope these are genuinely random because the series makes random encounters more scripted than a Ubisoft presentation.

I've been playing the Finale lately. I got the game as a PSN "freebie" in August and I get the feeling the subscription is going to end before I finish it. Admittedly, I've played a lot of other games in between (including Yakuza 0) but this game feels like it never ends. I've clocked around 170h as I've been trying to at least have all side and sub stories done. Just finished Haruka's part in the finale and when the story switched to Kiryu, I took the "nightly stroll" opportunity to go to the Coliseum.
My head's still spinning trying to figure the point of Haruka and Shinada in the story.

On this Majima discussion, I also got a bit confused about how the events in 0 fit with the reveals about his past personal life in 5.

It was to show where Majima was, how he lost his eye, and why he was being punished.

WUT DA FOCK

STUPID OLD FUCK

I meant his marriage with Park. I don't remember the exact number of years that passed but it seems to fall on top of the events of 0 or, at least, immediately after.

That's gotta be after 0. He has his snake eyepatch after all.

Jesus christ, I can hear these sounds perfectly now.

The combat in 2 is a HUGE step up from the first. The addition of lock-on was a huge improvement on its own. I can't tell you how many times I whiffed attacks in the first. I ended up beating the first one as fast as possible so I could move on to the second. Maybe diehard fans would 100% it but I couldn't tolerate it any more than necessary.

ONLY STUPID FUCKING NIGGERS AND JEWS BELIEVE IN THIS SHIT. FUCK NIGGERS

so should i just bite the bullet and do this? i was going to buy Yakuza 1 HD when it came out over here to support Sega, but I don't feel like waiting for fucking ever.

Kiwami comes out August 29th, that is far from forever.

bump

Thanks, user! I should have checked, I didn't realize it was that soon.

Couple of Y5 questions and a musing:
Is there any place to sell weapons? Pawn shop won't take them. I ended up dumping a bunch of them on the weapons dealer but I don't get a cent for it.
Any way to get extra Soul Points besides playing IF8? As is, I gotta play the damn thing 8 times with each character to get enough points to get all skills.
Anyone else wish there was a option to reverse the L2 command? As is, you need to hold L2 to NOT perform a Heat Action but should there be a option to hold it if you want to use Heat. I say this mostly because of the just-frame counter that requires to hold R1; feels a bit awkward to have both R1-L2 held and even worse to guard.

I'm on the final chapter of the Finale, finished all quests and already have the Amon message boy waiting in front of New Serena but I gotta do the breakthrough, IF8 and XP grinds with Shinada.
It was also amusing to see Akiyama ask everyone to go poach hostesses for him. "I know we're all kinda busy with this Haruka getting killed thing but I need more bitches in my bar."

does he finally fugg Haruka?

Save weapons for Shinada's final fight if you want to make it a bit quicker.

No. It mostly affects all the "Japan-ness" of the series. So like all the host clubs and side stuff are gone. But the core game and story is left in tact.

Whoever told you it's Japanese GTA was either memeing you or a retard who never actually played it.

I think at some point in the finale you can raise the level cap to 25, so you won't need to grind for soul points to get all the skills. The Amon fight in this game is pretty easy for the most part. Akiyama's and Saejima's fights are simple and you shouldn't need healing items or weapons - just food buffs and max health. Shinada's is a bit tougher, just make sure you have a sturdy iron pipe. Kiryu's fight is the worst, you just spend 10 minutes trying to land komaki tiger drops.

I still have to do most of the hostess stuff on my playthrough before I beat it. I made 15 million playing blackjack so I could pay my way through it, but it still seems like a slog.

Postan an underrated track.

I'm keeping some that have a good balance of damage and durability (two Brickshitter Beers and a Shachihoko - one handed quick swings and stun). Tested them out on the breakthrough fight aka "who's dick do I have to suck to land a fuckin' hit on someone?" or, more concisely, "press any button to get fucked from every angle". I pulled through with everyone but that part is a bloody nightmare for Akiyama and Shinada.
Also "love" how useful Shinada's perks are in battle:
His is truly a life of suffering and betrayal.

You can with the breakthrough yeah but if you just level up, you'll end 8 soul points short to get all abilities.

That's impressive. I thought I lucked out when I made about a 1 million. Currently have 7 from all the pooled funds.
200h in this game and in Y0 you can make more money in 10 seconds (just run into a rich bastard and Heat punt him).

As for a "log" before going through, mine is to max the last hostess, clear Victory Road with Kiryu and beat the Amon.

Good taste user, that's the second best disco track behind Friday Night

tfw can't beat the disco dance battles

Fucking Sony. Fucking Sega. Just keep the series on PS3. It's not like you're doing anything with the graphics.

Are the nu-stations 4s cheap yet? I'm still holding out on my PS3. Besides, I only want Yakuza 0 and Bloodborne , this generation is too depressing for me.

Thanks for reminding me of that nightmare. I was utterly unprepared the first time I did it. The second time, not so much but I got wrecked terribly so.

I don't know what to tell you guys, but I've heard that A LOT over the years.

6 uses a brand new engine made for the PS4 unlike 0 which was made for the PS3 but because of that the rest of the game suffers since they put all their resources into making the engine. It is likely that the other games in the series will use this engine as well but will be better than 6 since they are already familiar with the engine and can spend more time developing the rest of the game.

It is, or at least was, a very common way one might hear the series being described but, as already said, either by people who never played it or were desperate to make a comparison but never heard/played Shenmue.

I wonder if a Yakuza 2 remake will be the next thing making use of that new engine.
And as for proper sequels, the director said they would come but wants to keep Kiryu's "chapter" closed.

The PS4 already too ingrained to go back to the PS3. It'd sooner all go to PC exclusively than back to the PS3.

one last bump

There was that talk about PC ports; names weren't given but most people were betting on Persona and Yakuza series.

Without news and the series being niche, there might not be much to discuss and likely even less people interested in it.
In the Persona topics, I once suggested having a topic for Atlus-Vanillaware-Sega stuff given all of them are interlinked but maybe that would be too much of a mess.

But on to the topic proper - any tips for the pool mini-game?
I've no clue of what to do and the AI will pocket at least 3 balls per play at the lowest difficulty.

Holy shit Sagawa is fucking ripped. I thought he would be one of those run around and shoot at you bosses but he might be a shirt off boss had he had a boss fight.

this meme has to die
But yeah, the games only get better, 2 is such a leap from 1 mechanically that it was hard to me to get back to Yakuza 1.

For the longest time, I thought we was just a civvie. As I rewatched the cutscenes, I noticed he doesn't have a freeze frame introduction like all the other characters.

Post best Yakuza girl.

Which one? :^)

That was l guess were trying to hide his affiliation to give the later plot twists more impact.

jesus, this guy is just… wow

Congratulations: Now you're ready to play what many (myself included) say is the best game in the series. 2 is fucking amazing and I'm jealous you're about to play it for the first time. Say hi to Ryuji for me.

They don't call him the King of V-Cinema (direct to video movies) for nothing.

Funnily i was just recently was watching Gokuaku Ganbo with that Riki guy. He's a cool actor. Good to see him in Yakuza.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, or Yakuza Studio, will host a new titles presentation on August 26 from 19:00 to 20:00 JST at UDX Theater in Akihabara, Sega announced.
Sega is currently holding a lottery to give away 30 invitations to the event. To participate in the drawing, simply follow @ryugagotoku on Twitter and retweet this tweet.
While the latest works of Yakuza Studio will be announced at this event, it is currently unknown if any will be a Yakuza title. Hoover, studio boss Toshihiro Nagoshi said during today’s Sega Nama live stream that it will be a new title presentation for multiple titles, “including something expected.” It will be a focus on future trends.

gematsu.com/2017/07/yakuza-studio-new-titles-presentation-set-august-26

suck my cock fag

Yakuza 2 is an immense improvement over Yakuza 1 especially the combat. The combat in any of the Yakuza games doesn't become something like DMC or Sengoku 3 but it feels and controls great from 2 onwards.

Finally faced the Amon clan. Gotta admit I was a bit apprehensive about it probably because the difficulty spike between the main game and the Coliseum felt like a warning of things to come. Went with about 15 healing items for everyone and, when I finally got to it, I was over-prepared.
Akiyama and Shinada have each a fight that is mostly annoying. Akiyama can consistently land his counter since the guy often tosses his attack string out of range while Shinada can harass his opponent with light-heavy over and over again (weapons are useless though; they break almost immediately).
Saejima's fight was piss easy because his opponent ALWAYS opens with a telegraphed mongolian chop easy to tiger drop. Counter > throw > clothesline x4 or 5. Done.
Then Kiryu's fight is harder than all the other three put together. Pretty much that; fishing for tiger drops. I was legitimately surprised when he started copying Kiryu's heat actions vs downed and wake up. I don't mind it being hard but it got really retarded near the end, especially when the flying parasols pop up.

Side note, took me the end game to realize how much of a beast Akiyama is. He can kick objects into enemies and that shit does tons of damage; he can take out 4-5 enemies by kicking one measly traffic cone into them.