Shin Megami Tensei: because Dagda doth command it

I didn't see one in the catalog aside from one faggot bitching about Persona. With Atlus posting a teaser for the 25th anniversary, is it possible the next numbered game will appear on the Switch? It would line up with the recent trend of hosting main line games (plus Strange Journey) on portable hardware, but that may alienate some fans.

More importantly though, with Odin being featured at the end of the teaser, what kind of significance will he have to the plot? Will he be able to out do his son at causing world changing events? Will there be a side quest that elaborates of his embittered spite towards the Celtic master race?

Will Kek finally get some representation in this series already?

Other urls found in this thread:

shin-megamitensei.jp/dsj/
archive.org/details/georges-dumezil-mitra-varuna
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=23485916
8ch.net/hgg/res/112128.html
smtsj.wikidot.com/demonplaza
archive.is/0pk9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Said trailer for those who missed it.

oh nice, a new SMT ga-

The mythological complex usually called Wotan/Odin actually in inverted in the Celtic pantheon. Odin is Balor, the one eyed king who usurps Nuada, who loses his hand in battle and must have a new silver hand forged. Nuada is an analog of the Tyr/Zio/Jio, the god of martial justice. The implications are obvious: the celts are a more ordered people than that nords, so they would not place Furor at the end of their pantheon.

That being said: Nocturne Hard type is pretty good.

Is Soul Hackers a good starting point for this series? That old infographic lists P3/4, DDS and IV as the best starting points, but the first two aren't really proper SMT games, and the latter is shit.

MASTEMA DID NOTHING WRONG

I hope you just mean IV and not DDS. Soul Hackers plays closer to the regular SMT games than DDS, a big difference Soul Hackers has with the games like Nocturne or IV is the importance of the demon's personalities. Based on those personalities they may or may not enjoy doing things during battle. If you make them do actions or skills they don't like, they begin to rebel against you.

Yeah, I just meant just IV. Wasn't sure how to word it.

4 and Apoc are both fucking awful.

Nothing really drew me into either IV or Apocalypse, in terms of the main series they are the worst ones of the bunch. Dagda was cool. I hope he comes back as a demon in SMT V. Though that is probably going to have amiibo shit or something.

Yeah, it's a good game in my experience. It has that old school feel to it too.

having no defense stat meaning all fights just become a DPS race because turtling isn't an option, the whole smirk thing, a majority of demons being useless because they don't have high stats in one the 3 stats that matter, and awful writing.
I have no clue why you didn't enjoy them!

Would also like feedback from those who have played Soul Hackers.

I chose Strange Journey as my entry point into mainline SMT. Plan on going through both MegaTens, SMT & SMT II before summer's end - should I add Soul Hackers to that list?

You should.

He is, in all seriousness, in real life, the Patron Angel of the IDF.

Persona 3 is a good starting point for the Persona series, and either Strange Journey or SMT3 are the best starting points for mainline SMT, imo

You are wrong. Start with P2.

Name a better antagonist than Jack

I'm playing Purse Owner Q because some anons recommended that. It's ez mode EO but it's fun, love the F.O.E. gimmicks in the first dungeon.

Switch getting games is a good thing tbh.

I've always heard that Persona is incredible and now after I've tried it, Persona 3 that is, I have concluded that it's fucking horrible. Is SMT really that much better? Which SMT should I try?

I've never seen that Ganon before.

For mainline:
SMT I
SMT II
SMT Nocturne
SMT Strange Journey

As for spinoffs you can try:
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Soul Hackers

hey I was bitching about 3-5 virtual novel school life shit.

My favorite dungeon in that game was the third one.

Here's a question for veterans of the series: which interpretations of Law, Neutral, and Chaos are the best? By this I mean which games give those alignments the best presentation?

Don't know which is best but I know Nocturne is the worst.
Honestly the best route was if you finish the hardest dungeon in the game and deny all the other reasons you lead the charge against god with the army of lucifer after you luck Lucifer's ass, this of course isn't the chaos route but the "true demon/evil"

Persona was never good and would have faded into obscurity without the massive overhaul those titles brought. Stay mad, but you're fucking bonkers if you think I'm a liar.

Can't wait to reach it.

Wrong. There are multiple questions to determine your reason, like for example, you can only support Strength if you agreed with Toku-Tenguh or whatever his name was before Chiaki even became a pseudofiend.

Guess I'll be playing this when the shit is hacked or there's an emulator

It doesn't guarantee it it just raises your points, when you have enough points you get to make the choice later. Multiple questions in the game do technically go towards this point total, but they gated the points so fucking low that you can tell everyone to fuck off and you will still get the choice to side with them later. The only way to guarantee lock yourself out of any other ending is to reach fifth elevator in the kalpa, which locks you on the path for true demon.

Best law goes to II because the lawful choices are the most merciful (except maybe for the Arcadia/Gimmel sidequest) and Zayin is a reasonable guy who sticks to his principles.
Best neutral goes to Strange Journey hands down, with spacemarine sticking to his guns and finishing what he set out to do. It even shows an evil side of neutral with . Very close runnerup being SMT I, hero had a hard life.
Chaos is dindu nuffin in most of the games, so best chaos probably goes to MT II where chaos REALLY dindu nuffin.

SMT II has the best all around. Law is not stupid, you work to change the rulemakers because they are unjust but still believe that order is necessary.

Chaos has a legitimate stake in discrimination and freedom as opposed to "LOL DEMONS RULE". And there is a far more believable reason for anarchy and destroying the established order than in other games.

I think SMT II has the best overall representation of all three routes. But I also agree with In that the neutral route is the most in character. SJ Marine has one mission and neutral has him do his job against all odds.

You think you've reached the end but then SMTIV just keeps on going. I'm dicking around completing sidequests as part of the main quest but man, Beelzebub is a real cunt.

Speaking of MT 2, are there any better translations out there? The one I get from romhacking turned the demon dialogue into a garbled mess and I can't recruit anyone. I want to play the first original game in the series to see how it all started.

Are you trying to play the famicom version or the super famicom version? The 2-in-1 I and II re-release with updated graphics and the original sound has a translation that should work.

Best LAW is DeSu:Overlocked, were you become Jesus and teach everyone about love and tolerance, even the fucking Angels learn about forgiveness and shit. Althogh, regardless of how much it sucks as a game, IV has a pretty nice LAW ending. Worse has to be SJ's one.

Oh baby. I do hope someone makes a revamped version and calls it Re-imagined.
Don't know why I ever liked Imagine to begin with but something about it I really enjoyed that I could never put my finger on.

I liked the gameplay to PQ alot but I cannot stand the writing at all. Its somewhat bearable during the start and the 1st dungeon but after that I fucking hate it.

Playing DDS1 right now. It's lots of fun. I want to fuck demon Argilla in her boob mouths.

I don't think that won't be good for your health user she will consume your dick for AP

>In b4 futa Seraph.

HEAT DID NOTHING WRONG

YOU WILL NEVER ESCAPE YOUR HUNGER

Mcdonald fries for the tits.png

Soul Hackers is fun, but the difficulty is so inconsistent. It's easy enough to get through the dungeons with just the MC+Nemissa+that free demon while only summoning for boss fights, and MAG just encourages it. Meanwhile bosses are huge difficulty spikes.

Honestly Nocturne is the best to start with.

If you do 100% complete it, be sure to upload your save. The only 100% save (at least for the English release) is for the PS3 release and that doesn't work for the PS2 version even if you covert it to PS2 format (It shows up in the BIOS just fine, but neither DDS1 or DDS2 can actually load it).

Will do, though I can't guarantee a low play time. Any permanent unique missables I should be concerned with? No spoilers, or at least, spoil spoilers

Only a handful of things you can miss, but true 100% requires a NG+ (though even without that fight it would still be better than every other save file on the internet).

All these things only do something in the sequel.

Other than that, the stuff that effects DDS2 is maxing out characters, beating all the bonus bosses (one of them requires NG+ to fight) and having a lot of money at end-game.

Oh and open the floating glowing chest thingies at full solar noise and sell the cells at full noise (except jack cells which are sold at minimum noise) for max money gain. It's just money you lose if you don't, but it's handy to have when you're buying.

So how about that Strange Journey remake?
shin-megamitensei.jp/dsj/

Fuck. Well screw me for not trying to be a good goy. If I go for the NG+ stuff, can I just make the other choice then? If I'm doing NG+ anyways and I can choose again, do any of the choices matter for my first run? Good games where your choices actually effect sequels are rare, especially in nip games as far as I know.
Does it not matter if it's not floating?

Only the newest NG+ cycle counts for those questions.

There's two types of "chest" in DDS. One has fixed content (pic 1), the other depends on solar noise level.

if you are going for new game+ remember to farm for noice asap so you can have your party have 99 on all with minimal effort. the easiest is

luck>magic>vital>strength>agility

trust me when i tell you this take advantage of noise, otherwise when you fight the secret boss in NG+ you'll be fucked, and do not fight him with null attack on, just dont he'll rape you

I've heard of this and have no idea who to acquire it yet. Still on my first visit to Manipura. Are you saying items carry over to NG+ so I should farm and save all the stat boosts?

Pretty much this. It's a combination of two cancers and some OCs thrown into the mix, but it plays great.

Really? Interesting. Can't wait to see how long it'll take to get (((shut down))).

Maybe it's the ability to develop your protagonist and your demons in far greater detail than MegaTen games normally allow. That's what I liked about it anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the new girls mask. Also why does she have a ray gun.

Now that's interesting–do you recommend any books or articles that delve into this in more detail? I find it a little irksome that the mythology sections in most book stores and libraries are 90% Greek with a handful of others tossed in as an after-thought.

sadly no, you keep manta's but nothing else so go nuts. to get it you will not be able it the later but dont worry to much, but word of advice try to get the character their resist for their weakness, makes the game easier, it in the last tree of the element, before they become one.

ie. ice resist is in the ice god manta

Non-native English speaker?

Please, let it be!

Are you excited for Strange Journey: featuring Marie ?

Mitra-Varuna by Georges Dumezil is the book you want, it is a comparative study of the Aryo-Celtic pantheon with a focus on the tripartite division between Fantasm (magical sovereignty), Fecundity (agriculture) and Force (war, obvious). Book is a great read, too. I've never seen a Frenchman be so clear.
archive.org/details/georges-dumezil-mitra-varuna

The build itself will most likely be missing alot of functionality and still have much of it untranslated but hey, its progress. Till it gets shut down by C&D of course. They have been keeping mum on it to try and reduce the chance of it happening (Think they told a facebook group to fuck off posting announcements in public at some point).

Also I can't wait for the inevitable Bonds route in the SJ remake that completely misses the overall tone and struggle where they defeat schwarzwelt with the power of friendship and learned the journey was the friends they made along the way.

It's gonna be worse than that. Anahita is going to be Chaotic Good Mem Aleph and turn the Scharzwelt into a wave of brightgood. I have foreseen it with my unseen eye.

If you upload the save data for DDS1 in DDS2 you don't need new game plus to fight the secret boss, the hardest difficulty (which is usually unlocked by New game plus) is available. Just choose the hardest difficulty.

You also forgot mention dialogue choices with heat decide whether or not he joins you for the final dungeon of DDS2

So always agree with heat?

The two that mention:
are the only ones that matter for Heat.

in DDS 1*

Danke

I can't find anywhere saying solar noise has an effect on chests and one person saying it doesn't. Are you sure about that?

user is an idiot, that was in Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne. I don't think DDS1 has any chests like that, what it does have however is that when you're selling shit (like the cells) you get the most money when it's maximum solar noise.

After some testing, can confirm. Golden hovering object chest contents do not change with Solar Noise like Mystic Chests in SMT3:N.

It's that the Cells you get from them sell either more or less depending on how high the noise level is. The chests are static.

best "neutral" was Final siding with Char. Truly the most hillarious part was seeing how literally everyone saw the previous protagonist as a tool. Even you used him and finally broke the mess that plauged previous good goyim neutral routes. Too bad its not really replayable, that was the only 100% canon ending and Salvation was nerfed to be fucking useless.

In DDS, if I cast two voids, is one canceled? I could have sworn I voided death and fire and then I just got Mudoed.

Yes, last void takes priority.

That would mean missing the point of SJ's Chaos, the most extreme chaos every presented.

I mean, except the fact that complex hierarchy predates any tentative social contract by the order of taxonomical kingdoms. The entire point of ideology/alignment in SMT is that it is an active creative force based on those who use it, not a static background of the universe.

The Hierarchy of Chaos is ever changing, based only in strength. That is pretty point how Chaos is presented in SJ. The Strong do as they see fit and the weak curse over their weakness. A state of Eternal Battles, pretty much what Asura’s Parasite forced the Crew to do.

For one, mainline (S)MT games don't have enforced dungeon raids at specific times, and you can control and swap your party members so bosses can't stunlock your party in the beginning because one of your characters isn't weak to a boss' strength. How that got through playtesting on Hard, I don't know.

Anyways, I suggest trying Strange Journey first if you're familliar with dungeon crawling, it has the UI smoothness the earlier games lack. However, if the dungeons get too cruel, try Nocturne instead. If you decide to play SMTI&II, remember there are hacks to make the map easier to summon.

Much obliged. Any further recommended reading though?

If SJ Chaos is the most extreme, how "soft" were the other chaos routes then? Did they have a logical basis for the path's foundation, or was it just edgy?

As far as the mainline games go I and II had more logical justifications. II in particular is almost justified, but the Chaos hero for SMT I is an edgelord, just not as bad as SJ's chaos hero.

Let’s seen, Worse Chaos has to IV, Sacrifice your friend, massacre millions just to flood the world with demons cuz #demonlivesmatter #luciferdindu #chaosiswisdon
Nocturne has a very strange Chaos, unlike what most would, ALL Reason endings are LAW, since Kagutsuchi recreates the world, continuing the cycle. TRUE Demon is the Chaos ending were you destroy the world for the sake of "Freedom"

Hearing that and everything else in the thread, I'm starting to suspect that Dagda was the only good part of that duo. Then again, its not hard to like an Irish big guy who wants to crash the universe with no non-human survivors.

You are very astute to pick that up, the majority of people fall for the idea that the reasons are law-neutral-chaos, rather than being light-law (Hikawa), neutral law (Isamu), dark-law (Chiaki). Ariadne can be seen as an attempt to "hack" in a neutral path.

As someone that started with Soul Hackers its do-able, the dungeons are all pretty straight forward but theres some extra piled on mechanics(personalities mainly) that you won't run into in any of the other games.

I didn't think boss fights were that difficult in soul hackers, shemyaza was annoying but its one of the only SMTs where buffing isn't mandatory to finish the main game

The extra game ultimate bosses are a different story though

If nothing else massacre route has a satisfying ending. Dagda was right about everything.

Soul Hackers is probably a good place to start, in retrospect. It's modern enough you could jump into it and then be in the proper context for Persona 1 or Persona 2 with no difficulty, or go back and start SMT1, due to how similar the mechanics are.

You got it.

Here's hoping he's top tier in V.
And that the game itself isn't complete bullshit

IT'S HAPPENING

Good, we can all have fun killing the proto-kike again.

Dagda truly did nothing wrong. I really want him to come back for the next SMT.

Too bad that is complete lore rape since Humans call YHVH from the Great Will. He is just CHAOS but on steroids and actually successful

does he do that if you pick someone like nozomi? I don't remember him doing that when I picked toki.

Don't all your waifus say the same lines when you pick them? Even the guys say they'll make more people for you.

I didn't know the others did that too. It seemed was a pretty normal line of dialogue coming from the one I picked.

The thing is, the actual religious concepts behind 4 (integrating theosophy) and 4A (aryanists vs. jewish physics) are fucking solid as balls, it's just the mechanics and character writing that blow.

It would be extremely painful for atlus if they neglected him in future titles.

Bad character writing can kill any game, no matter how good the rest of it is though. I barely made it through persona 4 because of yosuke.

Best way to fully comprehend how worthless current year VR is.

NINE does something similar with VR, shame it never got translated.

I'm just glad that SMT: Deep Strange Journey doesn't have dexterity stat for no reason.

Supposedly Persona Q is going to get a sequel, as Atlus bought the domain name pq2 or some such thing. Any hopes for a good game, or will this be a hollow cash in on P5's success?

If they just do, "Persona Q: P5 edition" and make the dungeons a bit more difficult then it will be fine.

PQ was better than P3&4 on the grace of being an Etrian Odyssey with a Persona Skin. If they do make it, I hope they learn and make magic not worthless and either give more HP to the bosses or NERF the Damage Dealers. Maybe give a way to clear buff and debuffs?

Didn't EO have its own version of dq's Disruptive Wave? Giving that to the smarter bosses could always help.

Persona has Dekaja, there is no reason for the bosses to not have that.

It's a bit on the easy side but damn if it ain't fun. I do hope Paradigm X gets fleshed out later, that haunted mansion and enterable paintings in the galery sound schway as fuck.

Once I got the personalities and what the demons typically like to do battles can go pretty quick since you can just choose GO for the demons.
Zeed can become a strong motherfucker if you fuse him well, he even has evolution paths at higher levels

KANEKO
KANEKO
KANEKO

pls come back

I've started playing Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker. I played the original when it was first released and I can BARELY remember it, especially what kind of "build" I had and what kind of ending I'd gotten.

Any tips?

Also why does doing a physical build in SMT almost always seem the most fun?

If you build your MC towards Physical attacks, just dump EVERYTING into Speed. There is Physical attack that is based on that, it rapes everything that doesn't repel Phys. So, if you are going for a physical build: Speed > Phys > Endurance > Magic.
Yamato did nothing wrong

I just got my hands on multi-hit and boy oh boy. I can't wait for the multiple-enemy version.

The game has a weird difficulty curve. Dungeons will become extremely brutal, then at the end they become kinda annoying but not that hard, and all bosses are piss fucking easy.Including the final boss

I just got done with the leon auto plant. Bit of a difficulty spike there but I managed. And now I can turn demons into swords.
I'm not gonna lie, I might like Soul Hackers better than Strange Journey.

Final boss is actually a bit tricky. You determine if it is physical or magical based halfway through the game, and the phys based one is easy as fuck.

If you like Soul Hackers more than SJ you'll definitely like SMT1+2. 2 is probably the closest to Soul Hackers and has a really interesting setting.

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei is the SNES version and the definite version to play for Megami Tensei I and II.

Speaking of which, I beat the first one and i'm playing the second one now. I knew the first one was lackluster but compared to the sequel it's at most a third of the content and insanely boring (and too long of a game for what it's worth).

But the first save can import into the second game for some extra stuff with Jack Frost Jr.

I noticed how no one ever suggests playing the first two. They probably only got into the series through Persona and can't stomach the idea of playing anything pre-2000 (even though the first MegaTen is a bit bland).

Which Nemissa did you get? Fire, Ice or Lightning?
I got the thunder one. I had to look up the answers to the puzzles to this game because it can get annoying.

Might as well ask up why no one recommends the MT SRPGs. They are okay, but not great. Even the first SMT has problems, the one most people enjoy from the early series is SMT II.

I did try SMT2 a little bit on emulator while I was discovering megaten, basically just to see what it was like. But yeah, now that I got a taste of pre-PS2 era I can definitely see myself enjoying it.

Fire. If I had known beforehand I would have probably picked lightning for the almighty spells, but fire works perfectly thus far. Ice/death sounds painful though.

I only looked up the answers to the 4 towers one, because holy shit that thing was time consuming as hell, and I didn't want to keep buying repel waters.

I ended up getting Ice/Death. If I could go back I'd pick lightning but honestly, you don't need more than Megido and Sabbatoma(which they all get).

Is power charge good to have or kinda shit? It takes a turn so it seems it'll be useless unless you have a guaranteed extra turn.

He'd be a completely par for the course boss in other games, but he really sticks out in this one.
Which would be fine by me if he didn't come after a GODDAMN UNSKIPPABLE LENGTHY CUTSCENE.
Revisiting PS1 era stuff means putting up with the good old bullshit I suppose.

I never really used it. There is a skill that gives guaranteed extras thought

Is it too much to ask for some P2 characters in PQ2

Start spreading a rumor that P1/P2 characters will appear in PQ2, that might help.

How much would Baofu charge me for Spreading the rumor?

I thought people were exaggerating about Bomb Status. I still have no idea how the Doppelganger managed to survive.
Although it's not as bullshit as people say it is, Pisacas usually get fucked by a couple/just one spell/s before they get the chance to cast it

I wish we could use that, even if is unique to Pisaca

Well, you can use Bites the Dust in eraMegaten. I've only seen it in Homu and Miko, but playable Pisacas probably have it too

I don't want Hashino and his kind getting anywhere near those characters.

I don't even care if they're turned into extreme caricatures of themselves, I just want to see his smile.

Playing Devil Survivor 2 has made me want more.

Are there any other SMT (and SMT-related/spinoff) games for 3DS other than SMTIV, SMTIV-A, Devil Survivor 1 & 2 and Soul Hackers?

Are there any similar games? Any games that tried to replicate the style (and isn't Pokemon?)

why? hes one of the most annoying of them all.

What a manly looking creature.

I remember when that used to be an uncanny valley girl slowly turning into a slug woman labia first. It's been nearly 10 years and he's still working on it.

I liked his buff support, thats it. Besides that, I fucking hate him too.

SMT4A had a knack for having unlikable shit characters. I wonder how they even managed to let the game be released like that.

I want the next smt to have gameplay like 2 or soul hackers + strange journey. That seems like it would be pretty fun.

That would be great. Funny that 2 improved the gameplay but someone it is not as addictive as the first one. I like I can fire up DeSu and replay it gladly but I can't say the same for DeSu2

That would be fun, although I di rather like that light/dark skills had use besides being a pointless instakill attack.

DeSu 3 would be fun.

But you know what would be REALLY fun? Raidou 3

Why not both?

>Can recruit and fuck characters from a bunch of SMT games including mainline games, spin-offs and purse owners

Good shit user. It's a shame that it was only like 5% translated last time I checked and had to manually machine translate every line of dialogue. That and the fact that every route got locked down after the 50th day. Hopefully the translation has made some progress lately; I'll check it out later.

2 refined 1's gameplay but it lost everything that made the first one so compelling. The overall atmosphere in the first one is pretty interesting, where you see society collapse around itself the more the blockade goes on, and it had a honest to good SMT theme regarding the fight between Law and Chaos with humanity being caught in the struggle, while 2 was just about killing the alien of the day before going on to fight Polaris and remake the world based on an ideology. It was just so damn bland compared to the first one with a bigger focus on a cast of characters that is equally as bland except for Fumi and Yamato. If they do make a DeSu3 I hope they make similar to the first one's tone and not the 2nd.

>Yamato and Fumi
Those two were the only ones that felt like they belonged in an SMT game.

Yeah, funny that the social collapse is still there but we just don't interact with it since Daddy Yamato gives you food, shelter and rought training. As for the characters, I liked Yamato and Fumi too, a shame that they really fucked up Ronaldo's writting. DeSu2 tries to hard to be Persona (Fate Links, Waifu template characters, focus on the interaction with the cast) and loses some of its Identity.

I really like Fumi. Though I kinda feel unmotivated to finish it. I haven't met the 3DS-exclusive Hotsuin yet and I've already kind of struggling to remember the characters. One of the fucking characters' nicknames is literally just "Joe".

I love the gameplay but the overall atmosphere and plot is pretty boring.

I like Hinako because my dick likes her. I also really like Otome, because I like MILFs, despite her not being a biological one. She's sweet. I wanna hug her.

I haven't played Overclocked yet, though. Just the vanilla DeSu. I should probably try it since I'm falling out of love with DeSu 2 and I'm looking for something more.

I would prefer Raidou 3 over DeSu 3. Goddamn, Atlus, stop ignoring that delicious 1930s setting.

But DeSu 3 would be a nice surprise.

Since I've worked up the desire to play DeSu Overclocked, now:

When I played the vanilla game, a physical build was good. Is it still good with the changes/additions?

I always see people in any megaten threads asking what game they should start with and honestly anyone who wants to get in the series should just stop worrying what to play first and just start with whatever interests them the most.

It's much more translated now, and the lattest versions have an option to eliminate the time limit (seriously, how the fuck are you supposed to finish the Persona 1 route in less than 5 days without cheating/NG+-ing).
I honestly like it, it's a pretty solid SMT game despite it being a porn game.
Too bad the meguca mod only has the original series/Oriko characters and the only events of the route are the battle against Huenight/Godoka and an abridged version of Rebellion where a fucking tooth is stronger than the Final Boss (It's literally just one of the Witches you can easily get buffed, except that said Witch has no resistances, only weaknesses, and one of them is Almighty).

Yes

In Overclocked you get a few new Phys skills, but still really only enough to get 1 really good Phys character. I myself always just preferred a Holy Dance build, but a Phys build for MC should work just as well. Maybe even better.

Apocalypse didn't completely unfuck SMT4, but it definitely did away with what I personally hated most about it.

I thought Gaston was okay for what he was and being the only character to voice Asahi's pointless existance. Is it even mentioned in-game she's Akira's sister reincarnated or was that pure speculation?

scathatch a best

My fellow brother of patrician taste.

Gaston was the only character from the whole cast with any semblance of character development. Besides, he's the only one who wants to get shit done (even though he's egotistic as fuck) and rightfully talks shit about useless party members. He's the least trashy member of the cast but he's still purse owner tier.
Toki was shaping up to be pretty alright as well during her introduction but she became waifubait after she joined the party. I still liked her well enough, though.

So witch SMT allows me to recruit demons WITHOUT talking to them?

Persona 4

Okay then

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Fuck off retard.
Is anyone sane here?

Persona 3

I am, but I don't know of any actual smt games where demon conversations can be avoided.

Persona 3/4 :^)
But speaking seriously, the DeSu series has the Devil Auction system instead of talking.

You can't make this shit up.

Don't tell me Raidou 1 is the single one in the entire fucking franchise.

Mainline SMT always has demon negotiation. So you'll have to look at some spinoffs:

I'll look into this.
I'm not touching persona anything.

This is beyond casual. They're not even hard.

I quite like the persona games myself. They're far removed from mainline SMT but I think they're a nice change of pace

Devil Survivor is good. The second one is good too but I think the first one is better.

Yeah they are not hard. Just stupid.

Why is gannondorf wearing a mask???????

so that people care about who he is

Lots of loyalty for a hired Thief

Is SMT Nocturne worth playing? I have copy of it sitting around and I've been remiss to actually go through from beginning to end. It is also like a factory sealed copy.

It's the best SMt gameplay wise, excluding dated edges that could be easily polished in a remake, like choosing abilities for fusion.

Fastest SMT, fluid, seamless transitions, the right difficulty and challenge. Enjoy it.

Yeah, it's very much worth playing if you like challenging turn based games.

I might like the challenge. I've been playing Persona 5 and I've felt unbeatable so I'd be interested to try a similar game with harder difficulty. Least I assume Nocture is a good place to go afterwords.

Persona 5 and the Persona series in general are incredibly low in challenge.

Nocturne will hit you pretty hard if you go in while overconfident. It's not unfair but the game has its moments and constantly keeps you on your toes during battles.

MOT USED BEAST'S EYE!
:^)

I was ok with Toki up until she pulled this shit at the route split.
That cost her her shot at divinity. :^)

True enough. Killing her was pretty harsh though.

>"I just want to tell you that I love you"

I also found it pretty funny that out of all the possible goddesses she sounds the least off when you brainwash and revive her.

Toki is a good character but Navarre is the only one who can't fuck you over by giving the enemy extra turns, so he became my waifu.

Yeah it is the best main SMT game.

Gaston sounded normal. Hearing him call himself a goddess half of the time he attacked was silly, though.

That was reason enough not to pick her. I didn't mind her much, the worst thing about her was that when she joined the party Asahi became even more unlikable and started forcing annoying teenage romance drama.

For the love of Mem Aleph give me the artist name

I totally forgot about that.

On my first playthrough, Mot didn't spam that at all and I won that fight fairly easily

I picked her anyways because I blamed that on bad and inconsistent writing. Throughout the entire game they play up dagda's route as turning all existing humans into gods and living with the fact that nobody really needs anyone anymore, right up until the end after that decision when the writers go "jk only you get to be a god, now kill everyone". I get the feeling that nips nowadays can't write about individualism without vilifying it as psychotic.

link to the original:
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=23485916

To be fair, Dagda's only hijacking Krishna's plot for the purpose of a nonkosher universe, the ideals he instills in you are for later so you can make a humanity that isn't shit. Now in Toki's case she explicitly says she wants to stay human, with all her flaws, and would rather die human than become something greater. It's just funny to see her do a 180, saying she respects whatever your decision is and would follow you forever (if she actually did, she'd be the best goddess candidate) and then immediately taking that back readying for a fight because she's scared.

While it is true that he's hijacking Krishna's plot, his plot didn't require the death of the souls used in the egg as far as I recall. There was no need to kill off all the humans that being the case, that fact that you even get a waifu is proof enough that it's unnecessary. This plus the fact that they advertised it as an "anarchy" end and not a genocide end is why I think the writers were really inconsistent with that ending. If they're inconsistent with the plot itself, it makes sense that they'd be inconsistent with the character writing.

The current universe is tied to YHVH, the egg contains a new one. And from what I remember none of those souls 'die' either, they're carried over for you to mold as you wish. If there are any souls that are actually wasted it's anyone left alive outside the egg as they eventually just fade away with the old universe. You get one goddess because she's going to be the creation goddess like MA was for YHVH at least that's how I understood it

It may be true that the others would be carried over, but the story makes no mention of them after the route is picked, so I assumed they were permakilled in a manner similar to your former allies. I personally think there was also no need to turn your once allies into landscapes. Since the demons were nature itself, wouldn't it make more sense if removing yhvh and creating the new universe simply created a new world from the faded demons and gods as a matter of course? It was all just so needlessly edgy for something advertised as mere anarchy.

It's SMT:Apoc the fuck did you expect. The writing was horrible to that point why would you expect it to suddenly make sense ever

Blind optimism and stupidity.

seriously half the game's plot is someone pretending to be dead.

My initial point was not that I expected it to make sense, but that toki's betrayal at the end could be excused as merely an example of shitty inconsistent writing rather than an actual character trait that was intended by competent writers. Though I suppose the same could be said of most of the charter writing at that point.

ok but yes they are, explicitly

huh, I guess I'm just retarded.

What is the Entire game

well yeah, that is true

>mfw this actually creates a staple timeloop where you become YHVH after defeating all Pagan Gods, and the True Goddess becomes Mem Aleph

Either I need to start spamming defense and agility buffs, or I need to get media somehow. I'll probably need both. Why is Matador such a badass in Nocturne, but he's a complete wimp in Persona? I'd expect him to be a late-game persona with how evil he is here

Anyone got some timeline autism? I scrounged up these two but I know I saw a different one float in these threads.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth maybe
Persona Q is on 3DS as well, which is apparently decent if you ignore the story. There's the Strange Journey remake coming next year, but that's going to have problems.

Maybe third time's the charm. I expected Raidou 2 to be better than it was and was disappointed.

That's just how SMT does things. An antagonist in one game will probably be completely useless in another.

What's this about EraMegaten? My google-fu is weak.

Things are switched around between main games as well spinoffs so you won't get the same thing every time.

Plus in Persona there are no elite "fiend" beings. They're just Personas with different levels. In SMT fiends are incredibly powerful entities story/lore wise. They're said to be incarnations of death.

Reminds me on when I fought against it in SJ. Thought it was going to be hard, but:
Needless to say, he went down pretty quickly. Still a good demon, and looks really cool.
Also, this may be a dumb question, but just to confirm, do Taru/Rakukaja also affect magic damage/defense in Strange Journey?

text-only porn game based on the Shin Megami Tensei series has every demon that has appeared in the series + non-SMT demons (2hus, megucas and Type-Moon, but there's an option to turn those off) You can play as a Demon Summoner, Purse Owner or Devil Shifter and there's several plot lines based on SMT games.
and yes, it does feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series
There's a thread about in on /hgg/

play on hard

Thanks, I've been playing around with it for a few minutes now. Are there non-generic sex scenes?

Almost everybody has generic sex dialog (or none at all, in the case of the Type-Moon cast/The DeSu 2 cast) and the few characters with custom dialoge have their dialoge untranslated (the only ones I've seen having translated custom dialoge are Lily White and Glasses Homura), if that's what you're asking. Don't try to fug the Pixie or similar-size demons unless you have Forbidden Knowledge, because it kills them without it
Speaking of the game, be sure to remove the time limit unless you want to miss out the Final Bosses of some routes (The time limit affects mostly non-SMT routes in that you have to complete them in less than 50 days, but the Persona 1 route gets closed in less than 5 days)
If it's your first time playing, I recommend choosing Devil Summoner first, it gives you a tutorial on how the game works and you get access to Fallen-Race demons relatively faster than the others

Also the QoL upgrades for the 3DS version make it worthwhile. Being able to save anywhere in case you fucked up super hard is nice. And I enjoyed using play coins to get some random demons like Jack Bros.

You'll get P5 characters in PQ2, they're basically the same thing.

How is it stupid? Negotiate a contract by sweet talking the potential candidates. Do you not know how demonic contracts work?

Raidou 2 is better than 1 in some ways and worse in others, I feel like. I enjoyed unlimited normal bullets and combined MAG being weakness meter management, but I feel like 1 really had a good setting and interesting use out of combat for demons.

Is it just me or does late-game Devil Survivor start to get kind of cheap? I have demons around my character's level (57-58) but they seemingly almost always get crit and one/two shotted by attacks that doesn't even exploit any weaknesses.

Do I need to grind? I've never had to grind in an SMT-related game before.

I can't find the /hgg/ thread.

That's a shame. Is the game even worth playing for the other aspects? The UI is kinda putting me off.

8ch.net/hgg/res/112128.html

In the first pastebin is a bunch of Era games.

I think there was an option to change the shape of the UI. The game uses SJ's (don't remember if another SMT game does this) all-out attack system and the "higher AGI guy goes first, regardless of team" thing some SMT games do. The bosses range from "Really challenging" (Dante, Walpurgisnacht, Polaris) (Fuck Samael) to "would be a challenge if the AI wasn't so focused in this single move/had a better moveset" (Homulilly, The Beelzebub/Cthulhu duo). But the fucking encounter rate jesus. I mean, it's good if you want to grind some levels, but the encounter rate is so high in some dungeons I once got into an encounter and then at the next tile I got into another encounter.
It also has every demon/skill in the series except the "element Boost/Amp" skills, and you can upgrade the stats/moves of the demons and give them new moves for a MAG cost, so you can basically have any team you want and make it viable for the higher-level dungeons/routes.
The fusion system is a good, but has it's flaws. First of all, unless you have the Stephen software, you can only fuse male with male and female with female. The race system is also simplified, but some demons still appear to have the names of other Races, while belonging to another race entirely (A Wood demon is actually a Yoma, and a Vermin demon is actually a Beast, for example). There are also Zomas, artificial demons that are the result of fusing a demon with a Dolly Kadmon (Purchaseable from the Macca Store). Zomas are used mostly to get non-SMT demons.
Also the only routes I've seen so far that make use of the NG+ feature are non-SMT ones
tl,dr: It's a fun game, but it's not perfect.

what the fuck you can't do that

It sounds like a really cool idea, but what little I've played just feels half baked. Maybe I'm super wrong, but I think I'd rather just play a real SMT game or a real porn game, even if it doesn't have all the cool content that this does.

That's because the actual game died in 2014, at version 0,309. most of the routes (and everything non-SMT except 2hus and maybe megucas) is just different autistic nips making their own shit, so you end up with some content unfinished (It took a gorillion years for the PC-98 2hus to be added to the game, and we still don't have a fucking 2hu route.) So maybe in another gorillion years another nip adds the Boosts/Amps into the game.

Question. Does MT1 have any means of fast travel? I'm getting sick of running back and forth Daedalus 1F. The original game was password save and CTRL+F several walkthroughs reveal no save points further ahead, so I have no expectation of finding any besides the elder at the start. Do you eventually get some sort of teleport at least? Because looking at the map I'm not even 10% done and I'm already wasting 20 minutes just walking from the elder at the start of the game to wherever I last made progress, and that MP ain't gonna refill itself. If I'm looking to walk the entire way from the beginning to heal, to the end for the final battle, I'm just gonna replay SMT.

Got Ice/Death as well. I second it not being so bad since Ice doesn't get bad coverage.

The moment you get Megido coverage stops mattering anyways

You don't need to, and the game rewards you for not grinding in the game. What is the Agility stat of your demons and do you have an auto-skill like tailwind or hustle on your character?

Depends on the route if it's your first playthrough. If you took Gin's route, You Are FUCKED. Otherwise, you might have to rework your demons, fuse stuff that resists the endgame bosses and have a couple glass cannons on standby to hit the final FINAL form of the FINAL boss as hard and quickly as possible.
Or you could just get a NG+ save from the Yuzu ending and steamroll every route afterwards.

A bit late, this one?

Some of the party has hustle/tailwind. Main character has Blitzkreig. One of them even as Fortify. They still get destroyed like it's nobody's business.

I guess I'm fucked then.

Why is Gin's route so difficult?

You want to know? You really, REALLY, want to know? If you paid attention to Gin's opinion on demons, which you should if you got the route available in the first place, you probably know already.
The moment the Summoning Program server is disrupted by your actions, every demon summoned by the program is vanished. This includes your demons. This does NOT include the demons already defending the Server, nor the true form of the Server itself.
Have fun.

Oh, I'm not even that far yet. I haven't even beaten Belberith.

I think I might just be underleveled and in need of new demons in this case.

Does this mean you have to solo it?

Because if so, that's fucking awesome.

Kind of, all your human party members remain to defeat the final boss

Exactly. Those fuckers already ruined the persona franchise but they don't need to ruin the old cast as well.

Oh but wait…didn't Hashino and others that worked on those last personas leave to make a new studio or something? And yet Atlus announced PEQ2 and two new dancing games? Does that mean even without Hashino, Atlus wants to pretty much keep the franchise in the same shitty direction that Hashino did? That really sucks.

I think it was on a white background, but this one is good as well. Thanks.

That sounds fucking amazing, I'm so mad the game jewed me out of getting Gin's route. I was on NG+ and missed a flag and got forced into Chaos fucker's ending, and I'm not having a good time. Stopped playing because of it.

At least PQ2 has potential to be good thanks to EO gameplay.

Even so, you can encounter Forneus in Persona 5 as a late game boss, despite being the first in Nocturne. It just seems completely off to me and I'm not sure at all of what they were thinking. Would've been more fitting to have Matador as a bonus boss or a rare enemy, not just a random fusion. At least Trumpeter requires all of the Riders.

I understand making them less special, but why so low a level? Matador is mid-game at best. Even the riders and Trumpeter aren't far ahead of him, but at least Trumpeter has debilitate to make him useful.

Yes, your magic defense is increased with physical defense and magic attack with physical attack

Probably so you can access the skellingtons over the course of the game, as you level up.

You also face Matador at around level 15 or so in Nocturne as well. Even though he's probably like level 30?

Much obliged!

Speaking of Nocturne, I really want a portable version of Nocturne and DDS.

I really miss those games.

I would love a Switch Nocturne/DDS but considering how nu-Atlus handled SJ and Radiant Historia I'm not sure they will keep it faithful to the originals.

What did they do to SJ? I don't mind them adding shit to it as long as the base game is untouched (or just has improved mechanics).

I will say that the thing that bothers me most about Radiant Historia is that the new art is utter shit.

Considering strange journey redux, it doesn't seem far fetched at all. It seems to me like Atlus wants to rebuild a SMT following outside of Persona, clumsy though their attempts may be. And Digital Devil Saga on Switch would be perfect as an entry point.

New artstyle is shit, added a persona-tier character (Alex) and the ability to save anywhere.

What's even more baffling is that there is an option to have the old artwork but it is paid DLC, luckily there is piracy.

They gave SJ a new art style? First I'm hearing of this.

He means the artstyle of the characters has changed.

That is kinda shitty. I can't blame them too much, though. They probably wanted higher res art so it would look better on a larger screen (even though 3DS screen a shit). It's a shame, though, since the new style just looks cheaper than the old one.

Well they're doing "SMT HD" (which I don't feel is a switch exclusive. They're just calling it "SMT HD" and not SMT Switch)

I don't mind the new style so much. There's much less detail though. It is worse but it's not a massive departure.

But the new RH art makes me want to vomit. It's too shiny, and the characters don't look as sleek as before.

Stocke's face looks like it's melting off his head, compared to the thousand-yard-stare Stocke we had previously.

Raynie's face got slammed by the flat side of a frying pan.

And Eruca got it the worst.

This is probably the worst of the four.

Come to think of it, Strange Journey had a lot of diversity going on
accurate

I don't know, Jimenez is pretty awful.

I didn't really care about the diversity of the cast since it made sense with the story. Every country sent the best they had to try and find a way to stop the Schwarzwelt.

Jimenez's face bugs me only because if you put a baseball cap on him he just looks like a tan Junpei.

accurate

I just noticed the art is similar, what makes it look like hot shit is the hard shadows and heavy use of lines where they before they used very well done shading to make everything look better, that and the heavy eyelining iand dark upper lips aregone which are the staples of the style.

>Implying an antagonistic angel in semitic mythology is more the jews than (((Mem))) (((Aleph)))

Help

Keep this between you and me, but if you're really having too much trouble, you can always use smtsj.wikidot.com/demonplaza

I'm bored enough to bite, tell me a story user.

Judge Zelenin is hardly anything compared to other late-gamers.

Ganesha, Garuda, Titania, Ranga - any one of them on your team should make the fight more than manageable. If you have dedicated healers and buffers who aren't obliterated by Hama, naturally bring them along too.

Is it that charm/confusion attack she does that is getting you? That is always a big problem for people when it comes to the Zelenin fight.

I am not him but I know a little bit about Mastema. Basicaly he is an asshole. He punishes evil people but at the same time he is the one driving people into evil by tempting them. I think, the Dead Sea Scrolls say that he basicaly is there to try and flatter God and it is pretty much a Satan like figure, if not just another name for Satan.

I meant explaining why he put Mem Aleph in coincidence marks, but thanks for the enlightenment on Mastema. Knowing mythological figures like that being main players in their religion, believing that 75%+ of all jews having schizophrenia gets a little bit easier.

There is nothing to bite, That user was already throwing jews at SMT, it'd simply be remiss of me not to point out Mem and Aleph are literally hebrew letters.

Right, her name is composed of hebrew letters, but I didn't notice anything kikey in her behavior. She was just as destructive as the usual Chaos route leaders, only with a "defend your poor mother!" slant. Her fivehead scares me a little

This demon design never ceases to amuse me

Honestly, I don't want to judge mem aleph's character because Strange Journey lost me in the second half in general and the mothers in particular.

Is that the school logo from if…?

I think all the cut scenes are on youtube if you don't want to run through the game with cheats and such.

Oh, I finished Strange Journey, law route, and watched the other two. I mean it lost me theme wise. I was on board when the schwartzwelt was something alien, less when it was a more judgmental Kagutsuchi with moms thrown in somehow.

smt4 is the dark souls of persona games

You just had to bring that article up.

I specifically remember it being "the dark souls of persona games" though. Might be misremembering, but it's actually the only way for that sentence to make any sense even in a game journo's mind.

I will never not be amazed at game journalists. And they'll still compare everything to dark souls.

It's an action game based around evasion and attacking? JUST LIKE DARK SOULS

It has gothic imagery? JUST LIKE DARK SOULS

It's challenging? JUST LIKE DARK SOULS

Your character can DIE?! JUST LIKE DARK SOULS

If you die you have to try again? JUST LIKE DARK SOULS

NeoFAG

"Igor" is fucking with the Compendium, shuffling around the Personas from late game to mid game, and early game to late game. It's all but stated he's sabotaging you for his own agenda.

They always switch things around between games. And even in the game itself. In Nocturne he's level 8 when you fight him, but he's level 20 when you're able to summon him.

Don't ask me why they do things differently between games, they just do. In Persona 3 and 4, he's level 7 and level 6 respectively. In five, he's level 63.

In Soul Hackers he's level 30.

As for Matador; 40 in SMT 2, 30 in SMT 3, 25 (boss) and 30 (summonable) in Imagine, 30 in Strange Journey. 84 in SMT IV, 87 in Apocalypse.

Lore wise in Shin Megami Tensei (not the spinoffs, but the main games), he's a Fiend, an incarnation of death, so he's supposed to be powerful. In Persona there's no lore behind it, he's just part of the Death Arcana, so it doesn't matter what level he's at.

Boy am I ready to enjoy this.

Raidou is fucking great. First game's a bit clunky, 2nd game is slightly better in the gameplay department.

I wish they'd do another.

In eramegaten does anyone know what each stat effects?

Kaneko is dead isn't he?

Alciel is pretty cool. Too bad I never got strong enough to reach him in Imagine.

Doesn't look like it.

Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil. All bends to my will.

I remember when Demi-Fiend was the strongest, now we have flying and the faggot from APO

Seraph is stronger than the demifiend, though

When was that?

F

Demi fiend was just a general. I'm pretty sure any of the DDS cast would kick his ass.

The neogaf topic title is mocking the original article. archive.is/0pk9k It looks like archive.is doesn't have an old enough version to show "persona" instead of "smt".

Getting there soon, still have some stuff to adjust, but we should have the basics down.

I never tried Imagine. I knew it existed, but this was long before I actually got into SMT.

Isn't this the game where you can use Cu Chulainn as a mount?

Yes, in fact there were numerous possible mounts in the game. Off the top of my head are Cerberus, Alice, Pixie and Decarabia.

Interesting.

I don't know about Pixie, but "mounting" Alice just had her grab your hand and lead you by skipping.

aww

lewd

those sick japs

Don't worry, the majority of the people here seem to be as well.

Persona is fairly casual, even on it's harder difficulties. The way the two games handle how they give you your turns is an important factor.

God fucking dammit, now i can't unsee it.

I wonder if they'll show more of the HD project at TGS. I'm not expecting much, though.

I also recall seeing a player getting carried around by a Jack Lantern (a.k.a. Pyro Jack) on multiple occasions.

Also, I notice that the freezing effect shows up on the enemies before they get hit. That ought to be fixed.

I also really hope they do, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being vaporware.

I hope they do. They keep calling it the HD project, so hopefully it'll be ported to other systems.

I'll repeat this mantra indefinitely