Any suggestions for CPUs and Graphics cards?

I'm kinda new to gayman computers, so what are some good, partially high end CPUs to look out for and graphics cards? I'm looking to play emulated games and some other things hopefully when I move off this toaster, since this thing can't really run much. My endgame is being able to play games without them looking like trash and to have a computer than can run more than one process without shitting the bed.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
cpubenchmark.net/,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ryzen & nvidia

logicalincrements.com/ has a very good guide for building your own PC at varying budgets, and also advice for individual parts.

pretty much /thread

You're FUCKED on graphics cards. Prices are absolutely fucking batshit off the wall crazy insane bullshit right now. 1050 Ti is basically the only one on the market that you can get for less than $250, with most other low-mid cards pushing $400-500.

Ryzen is pretty sweet though. I got an R7 1700 and it's been pretty awesome.

IDs, nigger

So you didn't type /thread in that post then?

go and stay go

thank you very much
I do want to upgrade my toaster to tide me over until I have the time to build myself a computer, do you guys have any gayman laptop suggestions too?
I have this in mind, since it's not that pricey and it seems like it has some good qualities to it.
>i5 I guess, I don't really know if that's good or bad, my current toaster is an i3 duo I think

If you're gauging how good a CPU is you might want to try a benchmark site like cpubenchmark.net/, or just search for related stuff on youtube. If you've got any problem with the site, if your CPU isn't listed or whatever just search "[X] benchmark" on google and it should do the trick. As for gaming laptops there isn't much on the way of actually building one yourself, so just search how good the individual components are and try to get what you think is best at the most accessible price.

The only one being retarded here is you

Fine digits

I did do some searching up and I think this one I'm looking at is good enough, it's definitely a step above this current one, that's for sure, but that's just in theory. I hope I can just slide everything into my 4TB Externals and put it on this new machine easily enough.

embarassing

Since you plan on emulating an AMD card is out of the question so get the cheapest and the latest Nvidia card available. Go search on Ebay for video cards, you can get great deals there. Sometimes you can find chink sellers with free shipping at good prices.

As for CPU, unless you plan on springing money for a top of the line Ryzen 7 CPU you will be gimped for emulation. Ideally you'll want a 7700k but if you can't afford a Ryzen 7 you certainly won't be able to get a 7700k. A 6600k can be serviceable too but you'll need to accept the fact that you won't be able to emulate everything available to you, at least not without overclocking.

How long until that mining boom is over and gpus are fairly priced again?

@ me next time, pussy

Not until there is more competition on the gpu market.

never ever, because miners jumped on to the 1060's too, so they are overpriced as fuck
and even if AMD started a new production of 580's, they would be overpriced due to supply and demand
with this and the kaby lake-windows 10 only bullshit, these are hard times for mid-range vidya builds
i want to upgrade my 4670 to a 6600k and i'm searching for a good MoBo to pair it up

Are you blind or something?

Just let it go already, dude, ffs

What systems do you plan on emulating? Anything pre-PS2 and it doesn't really matter what you get. After that it gets hairy and sometimes AMD can't do it (the OpenGL support isn't great)

Yeah pretty much this. If you're not buying a 1050 Ti or a 1080 Ti, you're probably getting ripped off. Everything in between is overpriced as fuck.

2 major things coming up that should help bringing prices down:
1. Ethereum is going Proof of Stake soon and the miners will sell off all their used cards
2. Nvidia (and maybe AMD) are making special mining cards for graphics card based mining algorithms

Not sure what the exact timeline is for these but they're coming soon.

Just buy a console you autist.

why would somebody use this over pcpartpicker.com?

Never a good idea, on top of that this laptop doesn't even have dedicated graphic chip, just Intels GMA garbage.
Also you should specify your budget.

True BUT you could start looking for second hand graphic cards, some miners started selling their RX 470/480/570/580 cards due to driver bug related mining performance drop after recent Etherum hash difficulty increase.
If you search well you should be able to find some with 1-2 years warranty left. Ebay/Craiglist/any of the local auction sites are you friends

Right now is a straight shit time to be buying new parts for a computer.

GPU prices are being price gouged to fuck because of the Ethereum mining craze, RX 470/570 & RX480/580 usually retailing for $180/$230 respectively are now $319-$500, Nvidia GPUs above 3GB VRAM are seeing this now as well.
You could get a GPU secondhand but you're likely getting scraps from crypto miners, and you don't want those cards ideally unless they are still under warranty because they've probably been running at 100% load 24/7 for who knows how long which definitely will degrade the cards' lifespan.

Not only that but RAM prices are borked to fuck as well, especially DDR4. There are "shortages" right now that are driving up the prices.
I'd wager it's memory manufacturers creating artificial shortages (something that has happened before) to drive up prices.

It's really hard to go wrong with any CPUs right now seeing as Ryzen is only about 9% IPC behind Kabylake overall, so the difference in performance in games is pretty marginal but the Kaby lake CPUs definitely still have the edge in most games, the difference in performance at higher resolutions vanishes because it becomes a GPU bound scenario, moreso at higher resolutions.
It still might be a bit hard to stomach paying more for a 4C/8C CPU when you could get an 8C/16T CPU for a lower cost and on a better platform, but if you want the absolute best in framerates the Intel CPUs are definitely the best in terms of gaming

sperging about hardware is fun

this site still recommends intel over ryzen