Why has no driving game ever surpassed this?

Why has no driving game ever surpassed this?

It got everything right. The car handling, the AI, the stealth aspect, the felony level, the difficulty curve, the atmosphere, the story, and the music are all excellent.

Shit game.
Shit taste.
Shit thread.
Shit nigger.

You had to memorize which path to take through trial and error tough.

Shut the fuck up. Your a fucking cunt, suck my dick.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There's no trial and error idiot, just open up the map anytime and plan the fastest way. The cop appearances are random.

Gta sa references it, this is the original game where ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN!

It was tough but not broken at all. The rain was a great addition.

The time in that game was set so if you made one wrong turn you wouldnt make it, there were a lot of dead ends and and only gay casuals even bothered looking at maps back then

I played it back in 1999 but i have a clear memory that the timing was bullshit with zero room for anything

Well, the problem is you.

You probably played it on playstation, which had shitty framerate and draw distance. The PC version is much better.

The game gave you enough tools to be able to do it properly.
It's your own fault that you did not use them

I wouldn't know.

Are we being raided?

nah, they are just retarded

I wasn't blown away with it when I played, but I didn't get very far.

HEY MAN, YOU WRECKED THE CAR MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes, Driver 2 is better than Driver 1

Nah that's just the quality of the board in the past year

Driver 2 gave me a fucking migraine due to how shit the framerate was, I wish it got a PC port like the first game did.

Driver 2 should have been a ps2 game.

I never got past the garage

It has the best casual filter that I'm aware of right in the beginning of the game.

Driver was great and still a must play to this day, at least the PC version. Features like police's vision cone only took 13 years to be incorporated in the GTA series. And, as far as I know, it's the only game with cruise control, in the time when controllers didn't have analog input, that was amazing to avoid the cops by not going too fast.
The 70's car movies atmosphere was amazing and, like OP said, the difficult was spot on. The problem I had was the language barrier in the garage mission, after that it was straight forward. Indeed some missions were frustrating specially because the AI's random movement, but when you beat it, it feels great.

Any recent games (~2010) like the original Driver?

Saints Row 2 had cruise control

Saints Row 2 had also shit tier driving physics

This shit looks gay as fuck. GTA has driving AND you can do other stuff as well.

I have the game somewhere in a closet to this day, its the PC version.
The one i played on the shitstation was 2, boy that game looked horrible and they fucked all the handling.

Driver (2011)

I tried to play the original driver pc release but i end up with graphical glitches and no controller input.

some missions required way too much luck. there are quite a few mission that are impossible to complete if you meet a single cop because the time limit is so strict. to fix this, the timer should stop whenever cop car is after you or just get rid of the retarded thing where you have to lose the cops before reaching the destination. sure it makes sense but from gameplay perspective it shit idea because the game doesn't give you enough tools to get rid of them in time.

The only way to lose cops fast was to drive in between lanes on a road full of traffic and make them crash, but like i said before if you deviated from the optimal path you wouldnt make it in time to the objective anyway.
The faggot OP doesnt seem to have gone very far in the game, it became bullshit hard near the end because you had no fucking time to do anything.

Tbh though I liked driver, I'd much rather play the diehard trilogy with 3 games in one! (((on sale now at blockbuster!!)))

Hahaha

Wide as a sea, deep as a puddle. That's what GTA is. Messed up police spawning, dumb as rock AI, scripted events, rubberband pursuits, and unbalanced gameplay. GTA IV was a step to the right direction, although still flawed, but V repeats the same shit.

Works perfectly here on windows 7. Use the software driver if you haven't, the game still runs fast and looks great.

I've finished the game more than once, I beat president's run. Yeah, the weakness of this game is sometimes it doesn't give enough information about your current mission. Second half of the game's missions are fine though, you're starting to get a hang of it. It does require luck sometimes due to the randomness of cop spawning, especially at high speed chase. I somewhat got around those problems though though. Just keep trying to sneak away at ANY given chance, it's not just a game about going fast, but also a game about road map planning. Also, learn to traffic slalom, it'll save your life.

I did ragequit several times, but I always feel like most of the failures are due to my own incompetence. No, the timing has always been fair. You need to know when to sneak and when to speed.

I don't know shit about any "optimal" path. You're the pathfinder, it's a game that doesn't hold your hand with specific patterns.

NFS has always been pretty generic and boring tbh.

is this a big joke?

the driver series is the biggest pile of shit ever made.

1st game: impossible intro stage where you have to perform advanced stunt driving with no instruction with a time limit.

2nd game: massive overreach but not awful.

3rd game: broken shitpile. Started the anti-pattern of breaking immersion by hiring SAG AFTRA movie star hacks to voice characters.

Watchdogs series: spiritual successor that mysteriously kept Driv3r's bad collisions, clipping errors, softlocks, shit balance, emptiness, and general mediocrity and added a bunch of gay hipster shit.

There's a tutorial menu where you can play the parking lot stage with a ghost telling you how to do it properly, not the game's fault you didn't open the tutorial.

Codemasters stopped selling it (probs music licencing) and I can't find a torrent anywhere but I really want to give this game a go.

I don't care. I was in primary school when I got it and after playing driver 2 I was pretty unimpressed, even when I got through the tutorial.

It's OK. The AI is pretty rubberband as far as career races, and the game's only saving grace is the exploration aspects and the Refueled mod.

Sounds like you still are.

It's a game for adults, alright.

The game was basically still barely above the alpha stage. It was rushed at the last minute for some idiotic reason.

The cutscenes are great though. Worth it imo.

The director and producer of all the games in Driver series has nothing to do with watchdogs. The last game he worked on was Driver SF, and it was a pretty great game with excellent use of teleport gimmicks. Watchdongs recycled the very same engine, and somehow still screwed up everything. Shit AI, shit physics, assload of bugs.

nope.avi

I remember one or two missions like that in the game, but the vast majority were not tight at all.

The "Chase the L-train" mission in chapter one and the very last mission were pretty hard and required second-tight timing.

I always saw it more that Fuel was a pretty generic post apocalyptic racer title, combined with horribly rubberbanding AI and Games for Windows Live that the game was dead. Then when GFWL went dead they just stopped selling the game instead of trying to convert it to Steamworks.

The Simpsons: Hit & Run > Driver

I played it on the PS1, it had really nice atmosphere. I've been meaning to give it a try on PC but not having the wobbly textures, draw distance, and hideous resolution kind of ruins a lot of the charm to me. I guess its another case of imagination filling in the details and making a very basic game look and feel very nice, kind of like die by the sword.
But when you take the low poly count and actually make it crisp it starts to look and feel like cardboard.

This was a pretty good Driver-like game.

The co-op was cool too, I was shit at driving games so my brother would drive and I'd be the cop shooting guns from the window in later levels.

From what I remember, it goes from pulling over a DUI to trying to take out a tank with a rocket launcher.

Is that the game where the cops would ram you to death if you used the handbreak while your car was stationary?

Come on user, there's no need to lie. Also Driver is quite literally nothing but a grid of intersecting straight roads.

Oh and speaking of superior driving games, Midtown Madness 2 owns Driver like a plantation nigger

The damage modelling looks really similar.

Yeah, they give you time to sneak away.

This game is badly in need of a remake indeed.

What I'm talking about is going straight into the finish without any pathfinding, it's really boring. Driver forces you to adapt with immediate 90 and 180 degrees turns while the cops which are faster than you are tailing you, look at all those intersections.

Midtown Madness is a game about going stupid, it's nothing like Driver and has more in common with SF Rush.

Boring.
Featurless.
Bland.

So does Midtown Madness 2. You've just got an autistic fixation on Driver and get assmad when another game bests it in any way.

You just ram everything in Midtown Madness 2 and your car rarely fishtails. In Driver, you slalom through the traffics with a slow car with poor grip that handles sloppily.

I'll always remember MM1 being my first video game.
I'll always remember playing MM3 in the back of my parents SUV while driving thru Albuquerque.
Hail the victorious dead

You suck.

That poor girl is made of JPEG artifacts.

Yes, by retards like OP.

That's a pretty cool ID, not gonna lie.

Newfag

Nice job OP

Driver was a goddamn nightmare right off the bat and only got more maddening past the beginning section as you ground yourself into despondent fury with repeated trial and error trying to do what it asked of you.

My brother persisted longer than me as it was his game but even he wore his enthusiasm out in about a week.

I know that is a very long shot but would anyone still have a copy of the Draw Distance mod? The closest I can get a webarchive link of the dead mod page and a dead forum post talking about a mod archive on also dead site. I would ask in the Share Thread yet this dedicated thread exists which might increase the chance of getting even half a response.

This isn't dank souls. The challenges don't have specific patterns and you don't lose your progress when you die. Just take a break, this is a game that requires a lot of good reflexes and dexterity.

I didn't even know that it exists.

The original Driver was pretty good and was fairly well received - mainly cos at the time they were trying something new in the genre.
Good fun in 2 player too.

Console fag here meh say wot you like and I remember buying Driver2 for the PS1. One of the reasons I remember is a comparison - when I first saw a game being sold (in a shop) with no disc - just buy the box and get a download code - my first thought was Driver2 - there were 2 discs.
You sure got your money's worth.
Devs today? hmmm

Stop making this fucking thread faggot.

18 years ago lad, I'd never touch it again anyway.

Driv3r was another load of steamy shit too.

God, are you like 30 right now? Get your ass outa here.

It's an unfinished game, I don't need to defend it.

different user here, I'll let you in on a secret, you can be older than 30 and still like videogames and hold a job and a family. Do what you love, don't change it because someone says you're 'too old for it', unless you're one of those creepy bronies, then hang yourself.

different user here, I'll let you in on a secret, you can be older than 30 and still like videogames and hold a job and a family. Do what you love, don't change it because someone says you're 'too old for it', unless you're one of those creepy bronies, then hang yourself.

Oh wow my phone said it didn't send my bad when I checked my bad.

Kill yourself.