Have you ever played a game just to laugh at it's unintentional comedy?

have you ever played a game just to laugh at it's unintentional comedy?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/fm/A6JgGZDC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Daikatana, but it ended up being better than modern FPS.

It still pisses me off what happened with Chaos Wars, considering how much I like Shadow Hearts. Given how prevalent that one sample video of just how bad the English voicing, featuring Yuri Uru, Karin Karen, and Nicholi Nicole is, I think it unfortunately leaves a very bad impression as to how the actual games they're from sound in English, when it's more that O3 was low budget as fuck and/or figured that with the game being dual audio anyway people wouldn't listen to it in English to begin with, letting them bullshit the dub. Though it's not like that's the only issue the western release of the game has (albeit it is a BIG one for those not inclined to play with the JP audio). A crossover game like that is one where a certain amount of research ought to be done in order to keep things familiar to those playing it who are coming from backgrounds with particular series, and they just didn't bother.

Arc Rise Fantasia has another infamously bad English dub, and one without in-built dual audio, supposedly due to whoever was in charge at Ignition putting aside a very, very low budget for English voicing and the company getting what they paid for, so to speak. Not sure about how accurate/inaccurate the actual script for the game is, though, Ignition not being the most savvy of companies (Muramasa Wii, Lux-Pain as examples of rather bad cases).

Still kind of funny how the fucking GBC Daikatana is considered the better of the two versions.

what other issues does the western release have?

There is a patch out there that makes Daikatana into a decent shooter that makes the sidekick AI less braindead (or you can just disable them entirely and play the game alone) and fixes other stuff.

Life is Strange and Minecraft Story mode were fun to play with drinking games and predictable stories.
Night in the Woods is just disappointing.
I'd say Uncommon Time but I've never actually played it, just watched others.

At least you don't have friends who would consider those game anything other than shit.

It probably is better than modern TF2, if that's all they know.

wizards dont need friends.

you can always just wait until a new horrible game comes out and then stream it for Holla Forums and pretend you have friends

As mentioned up there, a general ineptness for keeping names intact. The Shadow Hearts stuff is a good example. Yuri being rendered as "Uru" at least has a basis in that that's what the Japanese script calls him, even in Shadow Hearts (his actual name in the Japanese script for SH1 and 2 is Urmnaf, shortened to "Uru"; English script changes it to a somewhat more familiar "Yuri", while still showing research into his Russian/Japanese heritage in the change), but the rest they could have easily found what the name was, or how it was spelled by doing the slightest bit of research. Meanwhile, "Karen" is a misspelling of the established English name, and "Nicole" is very clearly a dude, not a girl as O3's name for him would imply. I know there's also a few other non-Shadow Hearts examples as well; I think they had a character originally named Zelos in his game named as "Zeros", and made the classic "b/v" translation mistake, leading to Rebirth Moon becoming "Reverse Moon" (Rebirth Moon being a Japan-only game with the name spelled in proper English anyhow; I think said logo even appears on screen alongside that botched "translation" of it). Probably other issues too, but those are really noticeable ones.

Again, the big issue is a lack of care and research. With a crossover, even one involving rather obscure franchises (Gungrave probably being the Chaos Wars cross that people are most familiar with here), you've got players that are apt to be coming into it from backgrounds of at least one of the franchises involved, and trying to make sure that each group is appeased is something that ought to be done. On the developer side (in this case, Idea Factory), they not only need to make sure the game is fun, but that the writing and characters are handled well that the fans don't feel like their series/game is getting shat on. And, if it comes overseas, a certain amount of effort needs to go towards making sure little things like names and terminology associated with each game (or at least the ones that have come overseas) remain intact. Taking the time to do the research, especially in a case like this, where O3 had no involvement in bringing over any of the games involved prior, goes a long ways, and the lack of it just makes the game worse than it should be. And if it's a matter of getting the rights to use terminology established by another localization company, either make the effort and fork the money over, or don't bring the game over if that's going to be too expensive to do so.

For fuck's sake, Midway had their old Shadow Hearts: Covenant website active until this past year or so, including character bios on both their own page and on old computer wallpapers. A quick trip there would have told O3 what the established names and spelling were for characters on that end. Even if it's "unprofessional" to do something like that (or consult a wiki, ask prior fans for guidance, etc), I think that sort of thing would have been a good move.

Together alone, anons.

those aren't real friends, and more importantly you'll get called a shill and have your thread deleted

that's where you fucked up user.

I dunno, we've had the UT streams and personally I love it when someone streams any XCOM game

Night in the woods is worth watching because it's like the fecal apex of millennials' writing. The main characters are all 20 somethings but act like spastic dipshit preteens. A good chunk of the dialogue is just "ugh", "like", "fuck cops", and "TACOS XDD". It has no redeeming qualities to me other than decent graphics.

yeah, translations and localization get away with a lot of terrible work.

I did recently play Life Is Strange for that reason, yeah. I was disappointed, it wasn't even as insultingly bad as I hoped it would be, just bad.

Yes.

This is tangentially related to your post, but the pitfalls and complications of the American legal system, especially concerning entertainment businesses, has convinced me that it was established by Jews.

But all the anons in Holla Forums are my friends.

true that.

this burns my eyes just reading it and I have yet to drink anything today.

Daikatana is bretty gud tbh. The problem is that it looked wildly out of date on release, it was a competent oldschool FPS when oldschool FPS were no longer in vogue, and the game contained higher levels of John Romero's retardation than most could handle.

If it was release today Holla Forums would hail it as the 10/10 savior of video games

Wanna try it? The game has updated a tiny bit since it's nip translation. mega.nz/fm/A6JgGZDC

I am ready to see your suffering.

It's gotten better with age after all the hype and baggage has long died-out.

Only thing that's really wrong with it is the shit sidekick AI which can be corrected with mods these days.