Darkest Dungeon

Is this game any good?
Is it all really RNG or just people aren't good enough?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeldaroth.fr/us/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

The game itself is a-ok but the devs are fun hating faggots that nerf into oblivion every
good tactic the community comes up with.
The artstyle and narrator are top tier.

I quite enjoyed it. A lot of it is RNG, and some things are beyond your control, but you do your best to mitigate losses. It's a lot of risk management and some people don't like that. If you're good enough at the game you won't even face any trouble in dungeons below champion difficulty regardless of light level.

Literally Artificial difficulty: The Game

Like how said. It's essentially loss-mitigation and RNG manipulation with certain things beyond your control because it's designed to be """hard.""" The developers also have a reputation for nerfing any viable build to the ground in order to reinforce that sense of """difficulty."""

why are people this casual

It's fun for a few hours then it gets grindy as fuck

It's just not very fun, too much grind, Dev's were too focused on "Making it hard (cheap), means it's good" mentality, rather than focusing on actually making it fun. I played it for about 10 hours before I got bored.

Having dicerolls for shit is just shit and can make your resource management useless in any situation.
Why would you want unpredictable stuff? Something like not knowing what enemies you can find is good for surprises, but then having a chance of finding only strong ass monsters OR only weak ass monster by pure chance means it's a game of luck instead of skill.
A better is option is to have predictable stuff, things not told to you directly but you can deduce what it can be with observation skills and then prepare accordingly.
A bit of RNG is refreshing since it adds a bit of surprise and broaden possibilites in which to use your skills, but when a game gets RNG heavy then it gets in the way of actual skill.

The grind is probably the worst part. I can deal with the RNG if the game didn't take so long to get anything done. Having a sequence of bad rolls that wipe your party or a valued party member is fine, but not when it's going to take you a few hours to train up someone to that level again. It's so tedious.

Action game players are always the biggest whiners and crappiest players on the planet. It's no coincidence that the overuse of the term 'artificial difficulty' came out of the action game community, or that some of the most braindead games imaginable are action games. Although, don't tell any action gamers, they like to pretend they are the epitome of skill and not underage, ADD riddled manchildren.

t. someone who likes action games

if i wanted rng i would play quake, the opponents are the rng

It gets boring really quickly after you realize that you're just trying to make four max level teams for the darkest dungeon expeditions. Imagine XCOM: EU if there was no threat of countries leaving XCOM and the story mission ships were available at any time.

It's hard, but in the same way Long War is hard, that being you have to grind a ton and you'll lose it all depending on what the game rolls FUCK YOU on its dice.
The voice work is god tier and a perfect fit with the art style and setting though, so it's worth a pirate if those things appeal to you.

What are the best mods for it?

I still think it looks like a mobile game
I don't even know why, all the art is great it's just less than the sum of its parts to me for some reason

Shit, all those words and not a letter of it describes any form of mechanics or design in the game. I've been convinced.

Because it's a glorified flash game and plays like a flash game.

An outdated form of technology, just get a flatscreen.

Now you're just being willfully ignorant. Either that, or you haven't played the game.

Lemme try and boil down the central problem with this game
THE DEVS DO NOT WANT YOU TO GIT GUD. THEY WANT YOU TO WASTE TIME.

To elaborate further, the game is built in a certain way, and has been patched excessively to ensure it, so that you can't make meaningful progress through the game without constantly grinding, simultaneously prepping and leveling numerous backup characters all while being flat fucking broke because it costs a fortune to upkeep your dudes with mental and physical care, and not that it fucking matters if you do because most of the bosses and even just later levels in dungeons will insta-kill some of your dudes.. Or you'll have a character go from 0 to heart attack in no time at all, because RNG is.. fun?

It's a game that you'll want to like, because it does so many good things, but it's a game that, unfortunately, falls into the "mods will fix it!" category.

The FUN ends when you learn how to play, because after that is all RNG.

RNG isn't the problem, repetitiveness is. The entire game is doing the same quests and killing the same bosses with the same skills just with bigger numbers on both sides, over and over again. It's fun for the first round but after you've killed all the bosses once it's a slog to get to the final dungeon and the final dungeon is kinda shit too.

I got really bored of it after a little while it just felt so linear and that there was nothing left in the game after I had made my party as best as I could. I didn't really find it that hard but I only played it for about 4 hours before just couldn't find a reason to play it anymore. Occasionally something random would happen completely beyond my control and I would lose some guys but it felt like it was meant to happen and not like I had any control over it so as a result I didn't feel anything. It doesn't feel very rewarding just a sort of mindless progression. None of the characters seem to have any personality either so it just boils down to stats and items. I didn't play it for long but I could tell what I was getting into within the first 10 minutes of gameplay.

Op, you should probably understand that this is not a game you can complete, it's very hard and it requires you do dump time into it if you want to get to later parts of the game.

Does that matter? Not really. All you get are changes of scenery and stronger trinkets the more you progress, the game is fun if you're level 0 or if you're maxed out.

It's a great roguelite, it actually forces you to get attached to your characters and you feel like shit when they die. Like other games like it the RNG is really prominent, but that's just part of the fun.

If you're not convinced torrent it. The last thing you should do is listen to these fucking autists or me.

OP IS A SHILL THAT CAN'T BOTHER TO LURK A LITTLE BIT TO REALIZE DD IS A FUCKING SHIT-SHOT OF RNG AND THE CONSENSUS IS THE GAME IS BUSY-WORK : THE GAME

only character I ever got attached to was a grave robber that survived 4 deathblows against the Baron when I killed him. I think she's still alive now, but I'm no sure what her name was.

I really wish combat in this game didn't devolve into vid related when enemies are attacking. That and random skellies having 25% prot while my crusaders, men-at-arms and other armoured assholes have diddly unless they gear for it and/or get specific perks and/or spend a combat turn buffing themselves.

The art is nice and the sound is great, though.

Well okay, the yapping hellion was a bit overpowered, I can understand setting up a way to avoid stunlocks.

See, at this point it isn't just RNG.
At this point they are actively making the game artificially hard.
It isn't like Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne or FTL where yeah RNG can and WILL fuck you over but sometimes you can find an overpowered combination or you have some degree or skill tied to the game.
No, in Darkest Dungeon they straight up remove the combinations that work… I mean someone that is creative would instead make the enemies act in a way that distrupt the combination or find scenarios where the combination doesn't work (you know, add to the game) but no, they instead decide to go "OH EHY THAT LOOKS FUN! THINK I'LL REMOVE IT!".

It's like playing D&D with a GM that place plot armor on his characters and go "NU-HU! YOU CAN'T STEAL THE SUPER COOL SWORD OF MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER!".

At least with the stun-lock fix they also made it so wilbur couldn't luck out and kill your entire party by rolling a million stuns in a row.
Everything else that falls outside of the dev-approved meta of healer>stress healer>tank>dps gets nerfed to shit.

I've been playing it over the last week and I honestly don't get what the big fuss is about. I mean sure the game can be difficult at times, but it's far from being the hardest game I've played either. Though I suppose if you're the kind of person that never learns from their mistakes..

RNG is fun in games because it can completely fuck you over most of the time, but then you get that super broken combination that all falls into place like a dick in a hole and that makes it so fucking satisfying.

Darkest dungeon is just fuck you RNG is never in your favor ever. Oh you disrupted enemy placement? Something that will fuck you over immensely? Well fuck you enemies have dumb massive attacks no matter what their position. The fuck is the point of even being able to disrupt enemy position other than get weak enemy in back kill fast?
Also, weird how the same dungeons on repeated playthroughs somehow get insanely harder thus making you grind low level characters instead of having them progress naturally like the first 4 you get.

Joseph Anderson sums up how I feel about the game pretty well. The game is good, but the farther you go, the dumber it gets.

There's this: zeldaroth.fr/us/ but it's more of a reimagining of the ALTTP game.

In a lot of ways, the shit Darkest Dungeon does is like a more involved version of those awful facebook games where they tell you that you have to wait 40 hours before you can unlock the next thing.. Except you have to PLAY for 40 hours to get it by doing mindless repetitive tasks. Through the same dungeons over and over again, but never with the same characters, because apparently these adventurers can shit themselves to death with fear, but they're too good to go to a dungeon that's weaker. Why? Because if the devs allowed that, then you might be able to make progress in a reasonable amount of time! Same reason that recovery times and random events are constantly fucking with your ability to maintain your adventurers between dungeons, because if it was a reliable thing, then you might make some progress without having the random whims of chance deciding if you can actually play the game in a way that's minutely less frustrating!

This guy gets it. I like the game, it's fun and not all that hard. But the bosses are just rehashes of one another with higher stats and maybe an extra move. You need to level your guys up 'til they're level 6 and then send them into the darkest dungeon. But you can't send them again. So you need to level up more guys up to level 6. And if you lose a character in the process it's going to take you even longer.
There's just not enough content to justify the amount of time you spend doing the same thing over and over. It gets repetitive around the halfway mark and it really becomes more of a chore than a game at that point. I did enjoy my time with it but I never finished it. It's just too much of a pain in the ass.

The RNG is manageable for the most part with proper use of resources, however there will still be scenarios where the game decides to fuck you in the ass and there is nothing you can do about it. Before I stopped playing, I recall one scenario where I entered a dungeon with an appropriately leveled and geared party and in one encounter, three enemies targetted my full HP hellion, one after another. The first hit was a critical reducing her to a handful of hitpoints, the second brought her to death's door, and the third finished her off. Every other encounter in the quest had gone smoothly and my resources were fine, but a string of bad luck left me with a dead character and there was nothing that I could've done to prevent it.

The bigger problem is, as others have said, that the game is long and repetitive. It starts with a novel concept and an interesting atmosphere and then forces you to repeat it for roughly 80 hours, adding almost nothing new (and what it does add isn't all that different frankly) until you reach the final four darkest dungeon levels. After you've already experienced everything the game has to offer, it gets old fast.

If, instead of progressing through three difficulties to level up and repeating the same content multiple times, you chose your difficulty at the beginning and only had to clear each boss once to prepare for (unlock) the darkest dungeon itself, it would be a much better game.

this post reflects my opinion on it 100%. it looks great, sounds great, feels great, plays like dogshit garbage because you simply aren't allowed to win. the best you can do is mitigate the worst RNG with support classes and such but there's still no decent strategy because the devs have patched them out in order to make you lose.

it's still beatable and it's not "hard" but if you're anything like me you poor fuck you're just going to get pissed off a couple hours in dealing with the insanely frustrating shit that only exists to slow you up and kill your guys because lmao it's supposed to be hard :^)

Too repetitive and grindy.

What makes it even worse is that the whole crimson curse is boring as shit.

You mean you don't like a 50+ room dungeon that requires multiple visits and has at least 2-3 crocodilians?

What's wrong with you?

All of the people saying "Git Gud" and "lol,casuals" are people who played the game before the devs nerfed every viable setup into the ground.

You didn't notice from the way the user you replied to described the game that he never even played it and most likely was just a secondary who watched streams of it?

Also this but he's being generous there. Anyone who still praises DD unironically after all this time are either shills or just straight up one of the devs.

Either way the game has a good concept but dev fuckery to artificially extend your playtime, which in the process turned it into merely a more advanced Kikebook game, ruined it. There's a limit to how much bullshit can be tolerated by players if the execution of the game's mechanics is actually a rewarding one, but it simply isn't.

Everyone who plays the game says this. Then they get past the easy shit and hit the bullshit grind-fest.

I'm pretty sure no one who has actually completed the game still likes it by the end.

I did, but there wasn't anything to do after it.

This is the real problem. The game has content for maybe 10-20h but they stretch and rehash it out so much it becomes dull. The RNG is an issue too, but only in a "oh no now I have to grind for 3h more to replace this team" way because there is no fail state and characters are interchangeable and replaceable. The only challenge is how much of the grind can you take before you quit.

It could've been a neat game if you only fought each boss one time and losing characters actually mattered at all.

Right, so now I never played the game.
That is a mighty strong argument you got there

I miss Crusaderbro Leapfrog. Fuck, how long has it been since then?

losing characters matters if you play on "im ready to fucking kill myself" mode

That's just stupid as fuck though, why not just have it be 10 hero deaths you lose and then just turn the counter off in the final boss fight?

Anyone that unironically believes that they intended for the game to be fun after reading this should just fuck off. Every single fucking update has done nothing but removed anything deemed viable and given the game more bullshit mechanics to pile up on the already existing flaws the game has.