MAKE SOME SHIT/Doom Thread

ITT: Download GZDoom Builder, make a Doom wad, post, critique, repeat. Also Doom/Retro FPS thread since there wasn't one in the Catalog.
Last pic is wad I'm currently working on.

GZDoom Builder
devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

Previous wads I've made, please critique.
dropbox.com/s/phonfjtr9rqr4ld/Alicev1.0.wad?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/9j3g2px7wjo7lp8/inflames.wad?dl=0

Other urls found in this thread:

doomgod.com/wads/iwads/
rome.ro/doomguy
mediafire.com/file/abvn65658gzm5rx/killers.mid
mediafire.com/?24vsz6m0l1zls8t
dropbox.com/s/y80b86ictoj3amy/Madness Sounds.wad?dl=0
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54460
pastebin.com/wM5ppDe5
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_weapons.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_items.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_enemies.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_bosses.php
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=20500
mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55487
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35024
systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2600.0
vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=16974
mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,1232/offset,0/p,3/so,0a/
volafile.org/get/dcRDG03p7MNK/Moon_Man_v1_1.pk3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what's the difference between that version and GZDoom Builder-Fixed?

So i have this problem. I'm on Linux running zandronum 3.0. I'm running windowed mode because i like to alt tab every now and then. However, the first line of the messages appears with the top half cut off by the window border, so i can hardly read anything. Anyone else fixed this?

Can we make this a thing. The winner can get a signed picture of my ass or something. But we should have a contest or something.

Just in case the don't use link shorteners link to the iwads doesnt work.
doomgod.com/wads/iwads/

How come when I use the test map function the enemies work just fine, but when I actually load the WAD through a sourceport such as GZ doom, the enemies refuse to fight me?

Not sure, what format are you using?

What is your favorite Doom wad, Holla Forums? Mine is either Moon Man Doom or Pirate Doom.

Not sure what you mean, but I guess these have something to do with it. I'm trying to start out simple since I'm just trying to learn the tools right now.

also, when loading through GZDoom directly and shooting the grunt at with a pistol, since that's what get's him to move. he walks around and gets close to me, but never fires his gun.

It's recommended that you use Doom 2 formatting since it has everything Doom has plus extras like the SuperShotgun, Chaingunner, and Revenant.

If I had to take a guess it's that you have to enable individual flags on enemies. I've never used original Doom formatting so I don't know how to deal with that specifically.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

what format do you reccomend to use? I just picked it because it made sense in my mind.

If you want to start off just making a simple wad I would go with Doom 2 formatting. The two wads I posted in the OP were made in vanilla Doom 2 formatting. It'll give you a feel for how how to edit levels and will limit you from the more outlandish things you may attempt and not fully understand. If you stick with it or just wanna try some crazy shit from the get go use UDMF formatting which gives you the capability of colored lights, floors on top of floors, and slopes just to name a few.

I have a soft spot for Memento Mori 1 and 2 since they were still fresh back when I first got into Doom.

rome.ro/doomguy

So does that mean he kills himself?

my dilbert 3 mod is coming along. i have a lot of other obligations that are keeping me busy but i'm doing what i can to get this polished and playable.

I made this webbum

Creator on Demonsteele made another gameplay mod. We can be the man with no name now.

Oh thank christ for a dilbert 3 mod, don't forget to disable jumping use robocop.mp3 or killers.midi. include the most notable scenes of the dilbert trilogy in it.
mediafire.com/file/abvn65658gzm5rx/killers.mid
mediafire.com/?24vsz6m0l1zls8t

Does someone have the Descent copypasta handy? I tried playing the GoG version a bit but the controls aren't exactly great.

Downloading this at the speed of light

Never been good at mapping but I love seeing other people map.
Layouts look pretty damn impressive, user.

My only real mapping experience is fucking around with DOOK and making impossible spaces.
I'm considering participating over the weekend, as I've always loved the simple look of build.

LOL

(check'd)
First pic in the OP my dude.

How do I do this embed related?

That is the Doom pasta though. I need the Descent one.

I was gonna do something but I'd rather sleep

Dilbert 2 had a jump in it.

oh shit I'm sorry. For a sec I thought it said Decent copypasta.

The link you tried referring to has been dead for ages, but that doomgod site is nice so yeah, someone should update that old infograph.

I'm thinking about having jumping enabled on MAP02 and having a Xen/Hell afterlife when Dilbert kills himself in MAP01. As for the music, I've got you covered with both Dilbert tracks…

and a gayniggers from outer space midi on the main menu/intermission

bump

I liked it too but calm down.

dropbox.com/s/y80b86ictoj3amy/Madness Sounds.wad?dl=0
Here, have this madness combat inspired soundpack I whipped up in less than an hour; the gibbing sounds are satisfying.

Noice.

bumped and asking again… can i do portals in GZDoom Builder-BugFix?

I have no clue. I'm barely getting the hang of dummy sectors.

There are some other dumb questions I have about Builder too… like how to best tackle object re-use management, or environment sector tag thingies (I can't get my dark rooms lighting to flicker even though I've selected that tag…)

I think you need them at a minimum brightness in order to get the flicker.

I have no idea how I did that, but it looks neat and I want to know how to know how to do it consistently.

figured it out. had to just modify the sectors setting on the line.

Are there any good co-op mods for Doom?

Yo can anyone identify what mods are used for this?

I know its the blade from DemonSteele but what else?

meant to link holy shit im retarded

Posting progress on .wad

No.

Holy crap this is actually a little fun. after getting the ball rolling with a tiny room, and using the Doom 2 maps for reference, things gradually got easier. I'm gonna dread trying to properly texture everything, though.

So what are the best mods?
Not just separate .wad maps, but whole map packs/total converstion mods.
The only one I know is Adventures of Square (which is great). There is also SRB2, but it's nothing like Doom.

Is anyone able to tell me what these mean? I figure they're some sort of classification, but of what?

It means how the line's actions is activated and how many times. W - walkover line, activates when player or monster walks over the line. S - switch, activates when player presses use. G - gunshot switch, activates when shot by player. D - door, activates when either player or monster uses it. 1 - one time use, activates only a single time. R - repeatable, can be activated infinite amount of times.

Thank you very much, user.

What is the greatest map of all time?

It's much easier than expected, considering it's literally just drawing with linedefs.
You'd expect it to be an intricate and in-depth process, but it's really just laying a whole bunch of lines one after the other.

Keep it up, user.

Deus Vult + Demonsteele Co-Op sounds like it'd be fun.

meant to

So a Terry wad?

You cruel motherfucker. I didn't know you'd escalate traps that quickly.

I'd kinda wanna use real weapons from time to time. Is it just for Brutal Doom?

How did you enjoy your trip to the bone zone?

went back as a cowboy and kicked it's ass only to later die in another trap. The Alice wad is pretty neat user, though I only see myself playing them through fully as regular doomguy once since they're so long, and the medkits being pretty sparse.

Yeah, the second map was admittedly rushed because I just kept adding things and wanted to just have it finished since I was making it over the course of about a month. Even now I somewhat see that happening with my current wad. pic related. Not going to rush things through with this one though. Waiting until it's done.

hi I run the Holla Forums doom server and I was looking to implement a radio

my original idea was to just put a songlist in the motd with a song number assigned to each song and then users could callvote "song05" and song05 would be aliased to changemus "url.whatever.com/blah.ogg" but it wont allow server callvotes for anything but kicking and changemap shit

does anyone have any ideas how I could do this

how can I make the lights less flat?

Care to elaborate, user?

I want to make the brights brighter, maybe some way to force dynamic lights on maps that don't have it.
pic related is just boring to look at.

I'm barely getting the hang of GZDoom Builder myself but I think you can do that by selecting a sector in the edit mode and tinkering with the Apply Directional Shading tool on the left hand side.

that ain't my map. I'm talking about just normal gameplay.

There are some settings in GZDoom that allow dynamic lighting on certain sources.

Dumb Question: can you make shit you can use with Chocolate Doom in GZDoom Builder?

I've come to the conclusion that doom is the only game worth playing anymore.

Yes. I'm still working on re-making a .WAD I made back in 94-95, and I actually do all my testing in DOSBox. So I use actual DOS Doom2.exe (which is what Chocolate aims to replicate).

The only thing I never got working in Chocolate that caused me to just say fuck and it use DOSBox was GUS emulation for the music.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but that's the only game I play these days anyway.

Yes, GZDoombuilder should support it.

Doom's a fun game.
I like Doom.
It helps that the sheer amount of mods in the community means that every day is chock full of new stuff to play.

what's a good weapon mod to play along with colourful hell? I've been using led's generic weapon mod but these white monsters are just ridiculous.

Iji mod when?

Anyone remember the name of the mod that turns Doom into a tactical shooter? The only thing I remember of it is a game-play video that describes it as it being incredibly slow-paced, with every monster encounter being a serious threat.

Hideous Destructor? I hate how it keeps me fidgeting and fucks me over when I get set on fire by an imp.

looks like the one. Thanks, user.

So long as it's in Doom/Doom2 formatting it should be good.

Legendoom
Trailblazer
DRLA - Weapons only.
RussianOverkill
Psychic
Guncaster - compat patch required
combined arms
LethalDoom

Iji 3D sounds awesome.

Does anybody know a decent source port for Blood? BloodGDX has slippery mouse aim and doesn't feel comfy or proper.
I JUST FUCKING WANTED TO PLAY BLOOD YOU NIGGERS

There is no decent source port for Blood.

Are there any doom recreations of it worth shit?

Nope. None.

Fuck you, atari. I wish you fucking went bankrupt after the vidya crash of 1983.

"Special Weapons" AKA Rainbow Six 3 Doom
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54460

Just spend a shit ton troubleshooting the GOG version until it's got mouse aim and proper keybinds

I don't have the GOG version

skull, crossbones, get the picture?

Not really.

Joy!

A WEBM taken straight from my life!

Oblige is good for making cathartic maps with simple layouts with lots of enemies to mow down. Kills TNT headaches dead.

Really? Sounds like there is an untapped opportunity for Doom modding then.

Real talk,I don't even know how to add a door to my map. This is pretty much the thing keeping me from designing my own map (though I should probably just look up a beginner guide or something.)

Think of when you are playing the game, and when you look at the overhead map.

If I'm not mistaken doors are entire sectors.

If you're using Doom 2 formatting you need to select the linedefs of the door, right click, and explore that little dropdown menu until you find the specific door command you want. You then give that a tag number and then assign the sector of the door the same tag number.

In the case of UDMF, just select the linedefs and type 202 in the action tag and click repeatable action in the checkbox area.

Good wad to go with cyber Doom?

Fuck, now I can't find it. It was a weapons mod with a cyberpunk/vaporwave type theme that had leveling and upgrades.

Project MSX?

shit nigga you better find that wad and tell me the name

Psychic?

Police Brutality maybe?

not even close

Very similar but not it.

Lithium

That's it. Thanks user.
Now what's a fitting megawad to play through with it?

I dunno man, depends on how difficult you want it. Lithium lets you get pretty OP so I'd suggest something with a lot of monsters. Valiant: Vaccinated Edition is a fun test for various gameplay mods.

They did, user. the Atari today exists in name only, like Origin.

if anyone wants to play doom we have a server named "Holla Forumsideo games deathmatch"

Is there any possible way to get a good blood playing experience that isn't total ass?

same dude who reverse engineered Strife or something is reverse engineering Blood, it looks ok
or just play it with dosbox after fucking with the configs for mouse aim and wasd keys

I've been looking for this sort of thing for a while. Unfortunately, aside from going back and editing the maps, there aren't a ton of great options. This could change in the future a little bit since one of gzdoom's coders, dpjudas, has been developing more advanced lighting effects for the engine, such as per pixel lighting and raytraced lighting.

Normally to have dynamic lights, they would need to be added to the map manually, but from what i understand light from entities such as lamps, imp fireballs, or items use dynamic lighting instead of per sector lighting. Mods that affect their brightness might give you the effect you want. Off the top of my head i think beautiful doom and cosmetic doom affect this. The gameplay mod metadoom also affect this, but addsa lot of. Other stuff too. The mods dark doom z and ultimate doom visor gives global subtractive light adjustment which can make lighting stand out better too.

Lastly, theres reshade. It's the worst option in some ways since it's made to be a generic graphics mod, and doom handles some graphics differently from most 3d games, so some effects don't work correctly. It can also be a pretty major fps hit, but its the only way to add certain shaders to some older games. I've foynd the combonation of the hdr, diffuse lighting, and gaussian bloom shaders can give a sort of pseudo dynamic lighting to some levels. This combonation causes very light colored parts of textures to stand out more and "bleed" into nearby pixels. I only found out about reshade a week ago, so i still need to learn more about it. I'll pist screenshots later to better explain the effect.

also, you remembered to load brightmaps and lights.pk3, right?

I would play but its too hard.

WTF is that?

thanks for the exhaustive reply user, I'll check these out

I would go that far. I can't think of any other game I can consistently have fun with. Whether making some shitty maps, tweaking a gameplay mod, or playing through a .wad, I can always turn to Doom when every other game is shit.

IIRC It's a rendition of Oedipus Rex.

Something's been bugging me, so I'm going to let some smoke out.

I'm relatively new to Doom, and even newer to community made content. One thing I keep seeing over and over is how just how SO far Doom mapmaking has come since the dreadful 90's. We just know so much better now than we did back then. Even the people who will recommend you 90's wads will do so with a castrated attitude, "Yeah, y-you should t-try this, i-it's not as good as what we have today, b-but it was good for a 90's wad."

So after perusing opinions around the web I decide to try the highly touted "Ancient Aliens" WAD, a recent megawad that people claimed was one of the best creations to come out of 2016. Naturally, I decided to give it a shot, after all, this WAD was the culmination of over 24 years of map design, something that would make me look upon 90's creations and never be able to touch them again. Except, it wasn't that great, no, not at all. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever played, but it wasn't some transcendent masterpiece that brought together the collective knowledge of level design and monster placement. A lot of the encounter design is literally just lazy monster spam, or slaughter, as it seems to be called. I wish I was just oversimplifying things, but that is honestly all a very large portion of it was. No, impeccable monster placement, no constrictive map design to complement the monster's attacks, just a lazy, giant arena that's only difficulty comes from the numbers of monsters. The last 2 levels (not the 'thanks for playing' level) in particular were complete and utter dogshit. One of my friends watched me playing The Floating Arena map and remarked that he was no longer interested in trying out Doom mods after seeing that.

Now I'm not saying it was all bad, I'm just saying that if this is the best of what modern WADs have to offer then I don't buy for a second that 90's WADs have been rendered obsolete. I remember, after having beaten Ancient Aliens, vividly thinking, "THIS is what has supposedly made early WADs obsolete? THIS is the kind of thing that makes people prostrate themselves when recommending old WADs? THIS is what people have learned about encounter design after all these years? THIS?!"

Maybe I missed something, but I've played Memento Mori as well, and I honestly enjoyed it more and would easily play it again over Ancient Aliens. It has its own duds as well, but not near as bad as Ancient Aliens, but according to what I've read over various Doom communities this shouldn't be the case. The really old stuff is supposed to be obsolete.

Maybe it's just my limited experience, maybe Memento Mori is exceptionally good for its time, maybe Ancient Aliens is just an exception for its time as well, but I didn't play a map near as well thought out as Speed, a 90's map, from Plutonia. Speed gives me every bit as trouble as anything from Ancient Aliens, but it does so without spamming a ludicrous amount of monsters at me.

That's my ramble. I imagine most of you have been around Doom longer than I have, so you might possibly know if I'm just not getting it, or maybe my suspicions that the phrase, "this would have been hard in the 90's", is a code way of saying, "not full of lazy slaughtershit."

Fuck, meant to add, "is spot on."

Hell Revealed is still the best hardwad around
only good thing a jew ever made

I have a feeling you're exaggerating just how much people prop up modern wads. That, or you've been hanging around shit communities. I mean, seriously, anyone with a brain should realize that, if people are hyping something up to be the best thing ever, if might not actually be the best thing ever. It sounds like you took everything these communities supposedly said over and over at face value and then got disappointed for it.

Don't mention it. I've been reading about how gzdoom and related things handle graphics a little recently, so I just happened to have all that information on hand. It's fun to fiddle around with, even if at the end you can't decisively say if you've improved the graphical quality or not.

Anyways, here are some screenshots of the reshade effects I was talking about. the first two images are before/after shots of the shaders I described before, plus I think a shader called Ambient Light, which gives certain light a warmer, more natural look, but has the negative effect of making some textures look washed out.

The third picture is of a shader called reflective bump mapping, or RBM. I wouldn't recommend playing with it, but it's an interesting novelty. As you can see, it applies a sort of uniform bumpmapping and reflectiveness to all surfaces. Since it treats everything the same, you end up with oddities like reflective carpet, or sprites that become translucent near reflective surfaces. Still, it's kind of neat it works at all, and adds a stronger sense of depth the way shadows do. I might actually use it sometimes if it didn't cut my FPS in half.

With ancient aliens, it was also a case of right place, right time. It came out about a week before doom 4, so a lot of places reported on it due to the increased interest in doom. It might have just gone down as an ok map, but because it became a little famous it became a bit overrated. In any case, if they think things from the 90s are obsolete, doom seems like a strange choice of games to play.

For the love of god disable texture smoothing.

I wouldn't consider Ancient aliens a good example of modern map making, but dead.wire as a good one. it's a map that touts itself as a re-imagining of e1m7, but much slower paced. It's pretty, too, with custom weapons that replace your pistol and plasma rifle as well. I've yet to make it much farther than getting the rifles and running like hell from the ambush, as you can't really slaughter all the monsters with ammo being limited. I don't like how besides the mancubus, spider mastermind, and revenants, every other enemy is invisible. The map can get so dark that you won't notice a lost soul about to kill you because it's in a very dim-lit room.

bumping with map progress. Any pointers to make a room not feel empty, but not cramped?

Are there any strife/blood weapon mods for doom?

One trick I use is just littering the halls with corpses and placing small/tall techno lamps in corners.

I'm trying to count monster kills on a level, but it always reads as 8, even when killing more than 8 monsters on a map.

I've tried both assigning LEVELINFO_KILLED_MONSTERS directly to the integer reference in Script 5, as well as assigning it to a int before hand as in the pastebin.

pastebin.com/wM5ppDe5

Turn those filters off.

Well you can't say there isn't enough documentation for a mod
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_weapons.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_items.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_enemies.php
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_bosses.php
The only real problem is a lack of forward facing sprites for enemies, and even then that's only if you're doing replacement on them.

Came here to tell you this.

Could some kind user recommend good mapset and enemy replacement to use with High Noon Drifter?

Maybe Bratwurst for enemies. Why not whip Germans in the face?

Eh, I'd rather have something a little less conventional. I'm a bit tired of fighting military guys.

It depends on what the overall theme of the level is, but for some sort of tech base or office area, you could add computer equipment and monitors stacked on the side of the wall. If it's supposed to look more lived in, you could include bookshelfs and maybe a countertop with stuff on it. You could also add stuff which is effectively part of the wall, such as a broken door/caved in hallway or a window that mainly shows the skybox or something.

Now that I think of it, the very first room of e1m1 has some other good examples too. It has those 4 support pillars that don't directly take up that much space, but make it feel less open, and also has that recessed blue carpet. It also has that broken flashing light around the door you start in front of.

Lastly, you could try something like the fog or volumetric lighting used in brutal doom 64. It doesn't need to be blindingly saturated colored light like in brutal doom, but just a subtle amount to make the room feel less empty.

There's probably a bunch out there, but I'm having trouble thinking of any off the top of my head for some reason. I think the doom RL arsenal monster pack works as a standalone, and I think I saw someone using high noon drifter with strange aeons, so that might work.

I prefer dead.air myself.

Yeah Ancient Aliens is pretty terrible. Nice to look at but not much else. Commited the mistake of trying to play it with D4T and I'd only survive any encounter by quick saving, getting killed in 2 seconds, quick loading and then using the teleporting thingy to kill all demons from some place where they couldn't reach me. It was impossible otherwise. Near the end I got bored/frustrated and just activated godmode, just to see how the wad ended.
If you want a good "vanilla+" experience try Hellbound, it's one of my favorite megawads. More on the hard side but not just ridiculous like AA. More specifically Hellbound with:

In this order for compatibility.

now my eyes hurt. sharp images only look good when they're not moving too much around the screen.

Found something that might be your thing, maybe.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=20500

What the fuck are you talking about, faggot? People who use filters are the worst, are you eyes actually inferior?

The only things I've thought that are genuinely improved by filters in doom are pre rendered sprites. For example, Meta doom uses pre rendered sprites of hell knights and barons of hell from doom 4. Without filtering, they just look like a mess of pixels. With xBRZ x2, the sprites are more legible.

I think it's just the lower the resolution, the worse it looks after being filtered. For example, the doom to hexen 2 texture pack doesn't look TOO terrible when put through xbrz, and I'm pretty sure it's higher resolution. Then again, doom 64 should be higher resolution also, and I remember the doom 64 shotgun when filtered looks like a melted mess.

PREPARE FOR FUCKING DESCENT, FAGGOTS
mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78 Descent 1 with DXRebirth
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o Descent 2 with DXRebirth

Its 6DOF baby. Think Doom but in every direction. It was made by Parallax (who half of which would split into Volition) and published by Interplay.
A sourceport made for the two games that allow shit like a gentleman's resolution and support for modern gamepads as well as M+KB
>Where can I buy this?
You can't. Interplay fucked up and didn't pay the right people when it was up on digital storefronts, so you pretty much can't anymore unless you hunt down an original copy, and then you gotta get shit working. Just use the links, faggot.
Stop being a fucking pussy.

NOW ITS TIME TO PLAY SOME DESCENT

Just finished the first level. This is a pretty neat game, but if I didn't have a flight stick this game would be disorientating as fuck.

Honestly playing this shit with a gamepad or KB+M is real fun. I wish DXR let us have a bit more vertical sensitivity control when using a mouse so I could turn faster, but its otherwise fine on other controls.

Does anyone have the latest download, especially the custom job by another user?

Fucking heresy. Dual handed keyboard config is the only way to play Descent. kudos for bringing that project to my attention though

That's the discontinued version. The more recent version is here:
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55487

My anti-virus keeps picking it up as a trojan. I've already had a bad month and now you guys are trying to poison me?

When I was a teen that was a common complaint. My argument was always: "Ok so Doom you can do an instant 180; you can pretty much do that in real life too, right? Do you think your body could handle doing a 180 in a car? No? Ok what about a 360 in a space pod? No? So, more realistically a piloted vehicle shouldn't ever perform like an animal body and 180 or 360 stunts… right? Yeah that's what I thought."

This is too much freedom.

That's fine. I get that we're in a ship and shit, I just like the idea of being able to turn up faster since it feels so sluggish on a mouse. I end up using a gamepad just because it feels more natural with the turning that way.

I've been trying to use BD Ketchup v5.1 with GZDoom, but it crashes on load with an error:
Is there some way to fix this?

Burt Lamb uses 0.l instead of 0.1 or 0.0 for a couple lines in its code.
Open it up in Slade, look at where it's pointing you (blood.txt, on line 545) and change it to that.

Bump

see

You're probably right.

bump

Posting progress on wad.

How long is the level expected to be?

From what's complete there's about 3-5 min worth of gameplay whenever I run through it. It's nearing being complete in room layout though, and the only thing to do afterwards is to populate the rooms with items, enemies, decorations, and switches.

I'm starting to think I play Doom very slowly. Par times at like 3-5 take me like 15-20.

I've been playing through Winter's Fury, I'm after the first boss.

Shit is fun, but at the same I'm kind of annoyed at the dramatic lighting in WHICH YOU CAN'T FUCKING SEE.

Nothing wrong with that, user. I think one of Doom's strengths is that different play styles, strategies, and self imposed challenges are equally viable if the map is well designed enough. Just taking a guess here but you spend most of your time hunting for secrets or hunting down monsters, right?

Yep.

Are we this seriously lacking in spritefags?

Bumping to buy more time until the next thread.

No.

That's a nice hidden loss my man.

It'd be so cool if we got some real maps with portals factoring into their gameplay going

Trips demand it.

One of the alien vendetta levels, the sewer one I think, has portals in its DM area. I'd take a look at that for reference, if I was making a portal map.

What was the last non-pozzed release of Brutal Doom before it jumped the caco in terms of being a sloppy whatever-sticks hodgepodge of feature bloat that nobody asked for?

Portals are fucking awesome and deserve more love, especially the seamless portals going on in newer GZDoom builds.

Rick and Morty was never good.
No seriously, go check out Holla Forums

fucking why

because this mod still doesn't have enough stupid ass-ugly gimmicks in it

I thought it looked kind of cool, for being done in the Doom engine anyway. The texture swapping feature to simulate breaking lights and stuff seems like a nice upgrade too, you could really do some creative stuff with that I would imagine.

Has this been posted yet?

This looks great and goes to show what mods are capable of doing.

Didn't Hexen have breakables already? Also are there any mods similar to BD that aren't bloated as all hell and dependent on OpenGL rendering?

We are lacking in good spritefags that produce high-quality things unlike picture of mine related.

Paint XP is actually good for spritework, actually.

Yes. BahdKo and the rest of us original Doomgods still hang in IRC sometimes. NoSkill taught us all kb + m (RIP). Google and download all the NoSkill .LMP demos.

Sick trips lad.

bumping with wad progress.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35024

This looks like a fun thing to fuck around with in multiplayer, if anyone can set this up on a server.

I will concede some of it does look neat and is objectively impressive from a technical standpoint.

and then you get shit like what he showed in the previous two vids he uploaded, embed related

still want someone to answer, what was the last version of brutal before the cancer became terminal?

what do you consider the cancer?

I'm stealing that machinegun firing sound when it comes out.

I've not played Doom in a while and I'm finding it sounds "off" now that I've started playing again. I'm using OPL synth emulation but I might install Fluidsynth or Timidity and see if it sounds a bit better. Generally though are there any sound tweaks or preferred MIDI soundfonts that you lot prefer?

Dropping rockets looks fun as hell. I wish that Sgt. Mark made a mod that only contains the silly shit you can do in BD without the weapon changes and blood in the same style as ketchup. I have no idea at all who doomgal is supposed to be for at all though.

Custom blood graphics or whatever I mean.

Also jesus christ GZDoom seems even more bloated than it was when I last used it, it's pushing temps on my toaster up to ~60C on fucking E1M1 of all maps. Meanwhile I can play Quake in Quakespasm on a map drawing ~10k polys and get ~40C, I might just give up and use prboom.

Thats Graf Zahl quality coding for you.

You simply can't beat GUS in DOSBox when it comes to Doom. I can't remember which source port includes GUS emulation in the settings, but I am fairly certain there is one.

The Vogon's forum has the complete GUS patch set installer FYI.

god damn it.

Speaking of GUS, the Doomwiki page says Timidity can be used by source ports that have SDL_mixer, and I see that Doomsday has it. Anyone know exactly how to get it to work? I'm not familiar with it at all.

Also, the GUS pack you are probably thinking of was hosted on Mediafire and got removed, but the SystemShock forums has a mirror: systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2600.0

new weapons beyond the original 7 (mancubus cannon and revenant shoulder rockets was already too much, and he just keeps going)

fatalities, especially when they force god mode until they finish

grabbing/throwing enemies/barrels

stupid dodging that makes you more vulnerable than just normal strafing

fucking sprinting, jesus christ

I could probably keep going, but this should give you a good idea

The second link that has the original installers is what I meant not the updated "copy this folder" pack that did get removed. Second link still works!

vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=16974

Doom has always had sprint, but I'm sure a lot of people just have it set to "always run" and end up in the mindset that it's the only way to play. I personally hold shift to run, sometimes I have a need to go slower for careful positioning.

But don't you need that pack? Updates sound like a good idea to have, hence the mirror.

The second link is a zip of all the installers. The original installer, and installers for all the patches up to Win95 version. The first link I think someone must have zipped from a VM where they installed Win95 to run the last two…

I just use vanilla 4.11 no ProPatch in DOSBox tbh.

it doesn't make you lower your weapon when you hold shift in vanilla doom, of fucking course I'm referring specifically to CoD-style sprinting that lowers your weapon

I'm with you on the shift to run in vanilla DOS. Also northern wall-running is great especially certain deathmatch maps.

Ive recently been using the dmxopl.wad file from zdoom forums, with sound settings changed to 8 chips and dosboxopl3 i think. Previously, i used the plugin that allowed for external soundfonts (fluidsynth?) and used the sound font weedsGM3.sf2. I used the arachno sount font for a while, but i found it wasn't as good for many somgs where bass is a mire important instrument, like doom2 level 1,for example.

Ah yeah, lowering your weapon is pretty dumb, seems like an obvious downgrade.

bump.

Has Graf Zahl ever said anything about how fucking poorly optimized GZDoom is? Does he ever intend to go back and iron it out?

(checked)
Considering that the doesn't find the idea ludicrous to have a GTX 970 just in order to be able to play GZDoom, well I don't think so he that he gives a fuck about code optimization at all. tbh it would be better off if he fucked off finally instead of maintaining his mess.

Is ZDoom less bloated? I know it's no longer being developed but my computer doesn't support OpenGL 3 anyway.

I use Fluidsynth with GeneralUser GS. It sounds better than the default Fluid MIDI Soundfont, supports every instrument and is lightweight. Though strangely I still believe that the otherwise absolute dogshit Microsoft GS Wavetable was the best for Doom. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

Absolutely agreed. I would also add
Even the based HDoom guy screwed with brutalfags and for a good reason. Brutal Doom should be illegal.

IIRC he literally said he doesn't care and you should get a better computer. What a faglord.

ZDoom is kill and GZDoom was dead on arrival. Time to board the QZDoom ship, user.

Why would you complain about new weapons?

wow

What a tremendous cumguzzling faggot. I could at least partially forgive this if the game ran well in the software renderer and it was only awful in OpenGL, but it runs like dogshit even in software.

This is considered complete heresy with Deus Ex

It's also a reason why Borderlands was shit. All the guns could be easily categorized and would've been better off with with maybe 2-5 variations of each instead of letting a significant portion that are just meh or are downright unusable.

(checked)

Exactly this. Too many weapons which you never use and add nothing to the gameplay. Doom had a good arsenal, because other than the starting pistol, every weapon had a purpose. Chaingun for stunlocking enemies, rocket launcher against damagesponges, shotgun against zombies. You get the idea. Many games forget this and have tons of useless or gimmicky weapons.

Half Life 2 is a good example and is often criticised for this. Both the pistol and the SMG1 had piss-poor damage and accuracy, but plentiful ammo. The .357 revolver and the AR2 had good damage and accuracy, but rare ammo and you could only carry two extra mags. But why would you use any of them when the shotgun had reasonably high damage, large clip capacity and very common ammo? I think I haven't even shot more than once or twice with the revolver during my first playthrough because I was "saving it for later".

Funnily enough Doom 2 made the same mistake with the super shotgun. Most of time you had no reason to use the normal shotgun, because the super one was vastly superior at close range and the chaingun was more efficient at long range.

At least it has a software renderer which supports truecolor and 3D floors. You are not forced yet to use OpenGL if you don't want to.

Sadly that's the limitation of software rendering. Drawing 1-2 million pixels and simulating the whole world at the same time 35 times per second using only your CPU is rather demanding. Proper multithreading would help a lot and it's actually implemented, albeit poorly. My QZDoom uses 4 cores at 75-100% when I play using software rendering.

The lag spikes in GZDoom are unbearable. "Precache GL textures" ends lag spikes, but often makes loading take around 1-2 minutes even with only vanilla maps on a modern machine. Playing huge megawads with that settings is simply impossible. I think GZDoom has been using Pixel Shader 3.0 for a few years now. We even had a thread about it. For the reference: CoD4, Gamebyro games and Sims 3 seem to use Pixel Shader 2.0.
This site lists which games require it; most of them were made after 2008:
mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,1232/offset,0/p,3/so,0a/

Antisocial.wad fucked up again, what do?

Looks like the classic 0.l bug popular with Brutal derivatives.
Head into the Decorate file, search for 0.l, change to 0.1.

But GZDoom has a software renderer now.

Isn't that just… ZDoom?

Time to play "find the needle in the haystack"

Less is More faggot.

Much has been said of Doom's legendary weapon balance, perhaps this is why id only added a single weapon in Doom 2, and certainly there are arguments to be made that even the super shotty is too unbalancing by virtue of being overpowered. Adding more weapons means you might as well stop calling it Doom, that's how intrinsic the weapon loadout is to Doom's identity.

Mods that add and change weapons have been around almost as long as Doom, but Brutal did not start life as simply another weapon mod, it changed default weapons but didn't start adding new ones until later. Brutal was best when it was primarily about tweaking and revamping existing game mechanics, rather than adding in entirely new bullshit that was never vetted for balance, playability, and necessity to be included in the final game proper by the original devs.

Does anybody have a link to the latest Moon Man Doom?

Came here to ask this. I saw it got an update earlier this year and I missed it.

Here's the one I have. not sure if it's the most recent.

volafile.org/get/dcRDG03p7MNK/Moon_Man_v1_1.pk3

I've got 1.3.1

How do I make maps on Linux? According to WineHQ, only Doom Builder 1 works correctly, which doesn't even support UDMF. Good cross-platform map editor never ever?

Have you tried SLADE? It's normally used for changing sprites/music/weapons, but it also has a map editor that supports UDMF.

The latest one I have is from 2015, v9_6_6. Did they start numbering it differently? I'll try this one out anyway. Thanks.

Did I do something wrong?

The upload was likely corrupted. I think what has might be the latest.

So I went looking for that old MoonMan forum to see if it's still up and I'm not sure if it is but I remembered the /kkkmoon/ board and I guess it's semi-active.

On there they mention a Zandronum version and a mega link.
mega:#F!AFUBAYqS!vbipx7ds6IY_CHdQn4eOPQ
Does anyone know if moon_man_v1_4_test7.pk3 is GZdoom friendly and if the hotfixes should be loaded after it. Basically what I'm asking is how does this work?

SLADE is good, has an AUR package too if you're on Arch or one of its forks.

test7 needs to be loaded first and then comes the hotfix.