How come the Crash Bandicoot games never got the same kind of following that Saunich and Malleo got?

How come the Crash Bandicoot games never got the same kind of following that Saunich and Malleo got?

Or even just talking about games of the same era, it's not as well-remembered and well-loved as Banjo games.

Is it because the first ~4 Crash Bandicoot games were too brutally difficult for the casual crowd that these other titles draws?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uazL8HejVJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=c0SuIMUoShI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shit gameplay.

Nobody likes orange characters

Only the first three games were any–oh

Whoa, wat a shit graphics. Good riddance they've made hd version or i would never play it.

Because Sony has always had 3rd rate games.

Seriously
Nobody likes or remembers orange characters.

Same for yellow characters.
Orange and yellow colors just don't fly with regular human's brain, so people organically repulsed by those two.

Because it's shit.

They were pretty big back during the PS1 days. Sony didn't want to make him the face of Playstation because they didn't own him, so less marketing to make Crash synonymous with the platform. You also have to remember Crash got an entire trilogy, multiple kart racers, a couple handheld games, and two shitty reboots. Banjo got two games with cliffhanger teasers in each, then one handheld prequel and racer. Rare was making 3, but wouldn't reign in the level size and added the vehicle crap to compensate. I'm now convinced it was entirely their idea, not M$ meddling, due to Yooka-Laylee having the same problem of ridiculous world size. Crash at least got his time in the spotlight, Banjo teased a 3rd game and never delivered. People still remember and love Crash, that's why the remaster did so well. It's just that Crash turned into crap like Spyro once the original devs left him. If they kept making games and Universal weren't cunts, Crash would have a series comparable to Ratchet and Clank in terms of quality and popularity.

Never stopped Pikachu or SSJ Sonic.

>game aimed at the

Crash doesn't really have a personality and it was effectively the same game made 3 times. I also don't think the simplistic gameplay of breaking every box in a level is as interesting or free flowing as the competing franchises. Banjo-Kazooie was memorable for more than just its gameplay.

Crash Bandicunt was hyped up as hell back in the day.

(OP)
You're an idiot.

Didn't stop Mario.

What about getting all the gems?

Literally all my friends in their 20s remember crash very fondly and have played it extensively throughout their childhood.

People don't talk about it because there's nothing to talk about, up until the new releases at least.

People talk about banjo because it was one of the 5 important games for the n64, so it's well remembered. The ps1 had a much bigger line up of games so it kind of gets lost in-between other games.

you're a fucking retard

Because compared to Sonic and Mario, Crash just wasn't that good.

I mean the games were good but they weren't anything special other than being 3D which at the time was a novelty that got them more attention.

Sonic and Mario had more depth to their gameplay than simply running and jumping. They had acceleration, momentum, weight, mechanics that made use of their speed and jumping powers. Crash didn't have much of anything to use as a hook. His games didn't "feel" as fun to control as Mario and Sonic did.

Sorry to tell you all this, here's a pic I drew as condolence, I call it "Crash 'n' Sonic". Enjoy

are you seriously implying that the blue turd was better than anything?

sonic was always shit. it was a game that sold itself on YEAH FAST but then it constantly interrupted your fast to make you do platforming like a retard. fuck sonic.

crash > spyro > zelda > gayro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> power gap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shitnic

I bought the N. Sane trilogy yes, I actually literally bought it and I've been playing through Crash 1 again for the first time in well over a decade and I'm honestly really infatuated with the game's mechanics.

Granted, some things don't work well (the boulder running levels come to mind) but a lot of the unique Crash things are actually pretty damn fun.

Crash was never really adopted as Sony's mascot character by the company itself, people just associated Sony with Crash and vice versa. Mario and Sonic are Nintendo and Sega's flagship characters so they slap them anywhere and everywhere that they can, meanwhile Crash was seen as some bastard child by Sony

Pikachu isn't a character.
SSJ Sonic is temporal state. If he was yellow to begin with, he wouldn't get popular.
See Ristar.

what about Pac-Man

Pac-man wasn't really a character at the time of his relevancy.
Once they tried to give him any sort of personality everybody stopped giving a fuck about him.

Yes, I am, do something about it faggot.

Sonic owns your bitch ass. The easiest way to spot a dumb fraud gamer is if they buy into the "Sonic is about going fast" meme. That just demonstrates that they picked up a Sonic game, kept trying to go fast, got a Game Over on the second stage, and then wrote the game off as shit because of their casual baby-tier skill level.

Sonic has ALWAYs been about precision platforming and the fast was always a reward for doing well. You get to stay in the fast upper lane of the level if you're good. If you're a retard you get dropped into the slow bottom lane.

Tell that to the anime, friendo.

He did. During the original trilogy he did really well and was hugely popular, one of the few Western characters to gain mass Japanese popularity.

He's not popular nowadays because they sold him to a new company and then he got abandoned.

Even in the anime - he's just a mascot/pet thing. He doesn't have a character of personality apart from "cute".

Seem awful sure of yourself, there, user

Crash games aren't all that fun tbh. I'd much rather play Spyro or Sonic.

I think you're empirically wrong on this one user.

She's naughty but not a dog. Is it okay, I wanna impregnate Coco and be responsible? I bet it'd work.

my pantsu is orange and I think it's cute

Fuck off, fag.

Holy fuck user. Isn't that hot in warm weather?

He's saying he is wearing orange panties, not pants.

No man where's panties. There's no girls on the internet.

I can't speak for everyone but i never had any serious trouble.

Same here. Did you wana fug Cococ though?

Its platforming was dated pretty quickly, also Bug! is superior in every way.

sonic sells himself as a fast character, but you can't go fast because the game is shit.

so sonic is shit, deal with it.

Figures.

What's with Sega fans being so fucking delusional?

crash untold makes me feel like it did get the same kind of following, just not as big

She's purer than anything you'll have, cunt.

It's because that game is shit and boring. Sunicc is better.

>tfw no Renamon gf to keep pure

Dandricc is superior.

That's only true in America because of the 'North American Video Game crash and resulting major influence of Nintendo above all others. In Europe, for example, Crash is pretty popular with most of the faggots who actually played vidya back in 90s. One of the ways you can spot the fake BBT-style 'nerds' over here is their obsession with Nintendo shit (gotten from emulating American cultural output) to the exclusion of games/platforms actually popular over here.

Why does everyone always forget the superior game that is Crash Bash? It's a clone that actually improved upon the game it was copying in almost every respect.

I only remember playing it at a friends house on PSX. I'm tempted to play them now that they've been remade and seem relatively good. But when I watch gameplay;

==WHAT IS THE POINT OF COLLECTING APPLES==
Will this even work

Anyway when I watch the game, a very large portion seems redundant. Kind of like Mario 3D World which I barely touched.

Crash was huge during the PS1 days. Then Universal/Vivendi/Activision whored out the franchise with mediocre to terrible games until they just cancelled the whole series. Crash has four amazing games and like three to five passable, kinda fun, largely forgettable games. It also has like five or six absolutely shit games.

Basically, the publishers ruined his legacy. They did the exact same with Spyro. Banjo has two games that are well liked, those two game boy ones nobody remembers (but nobody seems to dislike), and an attempt to relaunch the franchise years later which failed, but is separate enough from the originals, due to the time between that had no Banjo games, that even casuals consider it a whole separate thing. Fans of Crash and Spyro know the Naughty Dog and Insomniac games are whole different series than the later things, but casuals don't realize that.

It's not simplistic gameplay, it's much more difficult and tightly designed obstacle courses. It's really an entirely different genre from Banjo, which isn't even really a platformer at all (almost none of the challenges involve platforming) but rather a collectathon, where the goal is to explore and collect shit to prove you explored. Crash is about doing tough platforming and getting all the crates was always an extra challenge. It's more comparable to Mario 64, but even that is like half true platformer and half collectathon. Crash is basically if you made an entire game of Mario 64's Bowser stages (which are the best stages). Spyro, meanwhile, is more like what Mario 64 actually is, with a heavy emphasis on collectathon stuff, and maybe more platforming than Banjo, but still not that much.

Also, Crash has pretty much the exact same personality as Sonic. Maybe with a bit more of comedic edge to him. And you talk about Banjo, but Banjo really has no personality. Maybe Kazooie does a bit, but not Banjo.

Crash is no more the same game three times than Banjo is the same game twice (and Conker is the same thing a third time but with swearing). Might as well say Sonic on the Genesis is the same game every time too.

To this day Crash is one of the only games with its type of level design, that being 2D platforming type levels translated to 3D. Other franchises tried to make it all about exploring when they moved to 3D, and that's fine too, but that types of tight obstacle courses that made up 2D platformers were never truly translated except for Crash and a couple of other games that have been mostly forgotten. Then years later Nintendo actually tried to do this with Super Mario 3D Land and World, because even they acknowledge Mario 64 and later games weren't the same type of thing as 2D Mario. Sonic tried to stay a little closer, I'd say that 3D Sonic owes a lot to Crash, but even then, Sonic Adventure 1's level design isn't even close to as good, and 2's level design is great and adds more speed than even Crash 3, but Sonic's gameplay is only 1/3 of the game.

Getting the Platinum Relics in N. Sane Trilogy really made me appreciate the level design in Crash 1. I used to think it had nothing on Crash 2 except the difficulty, but now I really appreciate just how finely tuned all the levels are. Everything fits together so perfectly to make for incredibly satisfying runs when you're going for those top times. All the lines and times and cycles line up so well. It reminds me of the best levels from games like Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels or Ninja Gaiden, where, when you're playing well, the levels have a difficult but easy to recognize rhythm to them. I know I'm explaining it like shit but some people must know what I mean.

Less screeching autism.

Neither does Mario, really.

The regular levels are easy. The Platinum Relics are hard as fuck.

Bug is interesting, but you're gonna sit here and say Crash is dated and Bug isn't? Crash is one of the least dated games from that entire era. Crash and Spyro basically make every other PS1 game look like shit. And it goes without saying that PS1 made Saturn look like shit in all but a few cases.

You can't go fast because you're shit. I can go fast because I got good and earned it.

Naw, Crash was super popular in North America as well. Everything you said applies just as well to North America, except for other shit being more popular than the NES. But the Genesis and PS1 sold gangbusters over here. SNES was big but Sega took a huge chunk of their marketshare, and PS1 took even more against the N64.

If you're implying Crash Bash is a clone of Mario Party, I'd disagree. The structure of the minigames is very different. Plus it doesn't have the dumb board parts. Yeah I like it better than Mario Party, but it's still full of flaws. Later minigames that largely rely on RNG and can be unbeatable unless you retry hundreds of times and get lucky. And some of the games are just shit. The racing ones come to mind. Then again, even those make Mario Party's look even worse. Crash Bash is a good game, but doesn't come close to the four Naughty Dog games. CTR was a different genre than the main games, but now that's a game that really surpassed the games it was copying, and I don't have a bad thing to say about it.

Besides, Sonic Shuffle is actually a clone of Mario Party and did it better. Cards on the VMU added actual strategy where before it was just luck with the dice. Minigames still aren't as good as Crash Bash though.

They're like coins. You get free lives for every 100.

3D World is awesome though. I don't know what you mean by redundant. It's not like all the levels are repeats of each other or something. You do get two to three levels with the same theme or gimmick, but the designs are different, one is always much harder and the other is like a practice run. Plus most games have more repeats of themes and gimmicks than that, so that can't be what you mean.

I don't like the board game parts. Sonic Shuffle made them significantly better with the cards on the VMU.

Loaded question, really depends on the place you're talking about. At any rate the games did have cult following especially in Europe, but they simply didn't capitalize on it well enough and the 4th official installment was a huge disappointment. Most of the games after Bash had problems due to rushed development because all the franchise's owners tried to desperately compete with SEGA and Nintendo. At some point they turned it into a game for even smaller children than its original target audience and no one played them anymore. I guess Skylanders made it popular again?

The 4th official installment is CTR and it's awesome. And everything you said about the games after Bash applies to Bash just as well.

The games were also just as if not more popular in America and even Japan than they were in Europe.

Skylanders didn't make Crash popular again, the remakes did.

tbhimo famalam

been tempted to get N. Sane trilogy. Playing Crash Series for the first time on emulator. Was never into 3d platformers back in the day so I missed out playing Crash and Spyro despite owning a PS1. I hear the remake has some wonky Pill shape hitboxes that cause you to slip off of platforms and the Physics are a bit different. But you no longer need to No-death a level to get the Box Gem, so its easier and yet harder. Personally I find Crash 1 to be the best game. Not really enjoying Crash 2 & 3 as much despite the fan base saying they are the better games.

Crash 2 and 3 are a bit too easy. It might be why I'm not having as much fun with them.

lets hope so

I think its because Crash is an Ugly Mascot.

(you) don't fit in

Crash is better then 3d Sanic. But not better then the 2D classics. Its hard to top Mario 64 for 3D platformers even today.

Speaking of Crash, I saw this going for $10 today. Should I buy it? How is it as a Crash game?

stop

Naughty Dog sold off the rights to Activision, who don't know how to manage a brand that isn't CoD.

sony didn't hold onto their ips because they didn't have any faith in them and also universal was fucking naughty dog over while naughty dog was fucking universal over too

It's not me who doesn't fit in here.

bless (you) user

filtered and reported

It's probably your best bet for a decent handheld crash game. Closer to crash 2 in style than ntranced.

The hitboxes are negligable, especially compared to a major thing like being allowed to die in Crash 1. The relics in Crash 1 and 2 are where any new difficulty comes from.

That, and I've been having a lot of trouble on some of the relics in Crash 3 despite being able to get all platinums in the original. The physics on the platforming stages aren't perfect but are very close, but I swear shit is fucked up when you're dashing in the Pura levels. The relics were difficult before but I never had this much trouble.

I'd argue Sonic Adventure 2 is one of the only 3D platformers that give Crash a run for its money. Though of course the others would have to be the 3D Marios. I think 64 is overrated though. It's a very good game, but I think 3D World is the best 3D Mario ever.

This and its sequel are mediocre compared to the originals, but they're certainly not bad. They look and feel like Crash, but they just don't have as good levels or nearly as much content as the originals. Much easier too. Very easy even to get all Platinum Relics. Not really flawed in any major way though.

Naughty Dog was under contract to Universal to make a few games for them. They ended up making Crash. When Naughty Dog was bought by Sony, Universal got a string of new devs to make the games, and then Universal Interactive got bought out by Vivendi, and then Vivendi/Universal got bought out by Activision. This didn't really change what happened to Crash though, as all three publishers treated it and Spyro like shit.

That said, under Universal and Vivendi, Traveler's Tales managed to make two decent games, but both were hampered by incredibly rushed schedules. If anyone let them actually finish a game, it might have been great. Then Activision bought them out and TT didn't get any more tries. And they did those awful Crash of the Titans redesigns and made Crash a beat em up.

Should have started as a girl. Would be more appealing than the weird whatever dreamworks face he does.

Thanks for the history lesson, I'm not too caught up on Crash lore.

Why didn't Sony just buy the rights to the IP when they bought Naughty Dog?

Facts like those are never given out, but I think it's a safe bet that Universal wasn't willing to sell. Universal never owned Naughty Dog and Naughty Dog never owned Crash.

A very similar situation happened with Insomniac and Spyro, only instead of being bought by Crash, they just entered into a contract to make a few games for them, just like they and Naughty Dog had both done with Universal before.

Why doesn't Sega do another Bug game?

Fuck I meant bought by Sony. Instead of being bought by Sony they entered a contract to make a few games for Sony, and made Ratchet & Clank.

Though in that situation, bigwigs at Insomniac have said they were bored and felt limited by Spyro, because he "can't even hold a gun." So basically they were huge faggots. You can see their process, too, because Agent 9 is very much a proto-ratchet in retrospect.

Naughty Dog, on the other hand, made Jak, which is very much an expanded Crash game. But then test audiences said that shit was too kiddy and they wanted more GTA after GTAIII came out, so Jak II became a hodgepodge of everything Naughty Dog figured was popular, and began the dark descent that brought them to where they are today.

There is a sequel. It's called Bug Too!

I mean a new Bug game for the modern gen.

Trump is orange, and last I checked orange is the new black. Therefore your logic doesn't hold up!

can we agree that crash team racing was the best crash game and still one of the best racing games to date?

Even Mimiyamoto was impressed at crash. He compared Crash to a fun obstacle course vs mario 64 which is more like a park full of fun things.

only summerfags here are ones who deny Sonic 3 is godtier

Fuck
*the ones

Bitch nigger

m8, the Naughty Dog era Crash games were huge, multi-million selling titles. The series' quality quickly declined after CTR but there's a damn good reason why the N. Sane Trilogy has sold like hotcakes.

what
Everyone I know, both IRL and on the internet knows and loves Crash
Maybe because Europe has always been Sony territory

Crash bandicoot was huge back then, at the time was even more popular than Mario or Sonic, but the thing is, that as soon Naughty Dog stopped working on it and Sierra started doing those garbage rip-off games, Crash popularity started to fade and soon enough died off.
I am sure the same thing is going to happen again with Activision, n sane trilogy sold well because it's a remake of the good ND titles and also because of nostalgia, but soon enough they'll start milking the franchise with terrible games and shitty design decisions like in the sierra/vivendi days.

Genuinely kill self or at least be ashamed.

But he's right. 1 has bottom-tier gameplay, 2 is average, and 3 is barely above average. Spyro 1/2, SM64 and BK are infinitely better 3d platformers.

But he's not, and neither are you.
Take your nostalgia glasses off, both those games play like shit now. Crash had more responsive controls and tighter level design than any game in either of those two series.

But I play through SM64, BK, and Spyro 1/2 every other year. They still hold up fantastically today.
Oh, you're being ironic. Carry on.

I thought summerfags are Sonic haters in denial of Sonic Mania.

Do people seriously like this crap?

But they did
The first three games sold 5 million each. Its just that when the developers switched, a bunch of shitty games completely eroded all interest in the franchise.

that is because nintendo autists and scalpers permeated internet forums for a long time. That and shit like Banjo Kazooie gained viral popularity because of ecelebs.

I'd imagine it's mostly because of the first game being pretty hard. It has some super dickish levels(stormy climb levels, the aku aku darkness levels, the bridge levels), you can't save unless you perfect a level or get to a bonus stage and it's a bit primitive in its designs and shit.
Crash 2 is what really put the game to it's best. It was incredibly fun, it sounded great, it looked great, it was perfectly challenging on a normal playthrough and it pushed the elite to the peak of their skills if they wanted to 100%. The amount of detail and thought put into the levels really shows when you're doing 100% and there's nothing more satisfying than finishing something like Cold Hard Crash with all crates after a solid hour or so of attempts.
3 to be honest I've never actually finished, I got to the Pharaonic warp room and lost interest, but it seemed to be more of Crash 2, just with shittier minigames like the plane or underwater segment.
CTR is fucking sweet and I have nothing bad to say about it, Crash Bash is fun and all but it fucks you up hard near the later warp rooms, especially when you get to the relics it really stops being fun.
Twinsanity kept crashing for me when I had my PS2 so I can't really tell if it's good or bad, does it emulate well?
Wrath of Cortex was bad. Between the framerate drops and the rehashes of Crash 3, not to mention the first powerup being being able to walk I didn't go past the first warp room.
The rest I don't know about. I do recall playing Mind over Mutant but I geniuenly don't have a single recollection of what it played like, whether or not it was bad or even how it looks.

Why play the sub-par copy when you can play the original?
Crash Bandicoot is fondly remembered only because of kids who grew up with a playstation and didn't knew any better

I grew up in that era, and I played Crash Bandicoot when it was fresh and new and popular.
I didn't get the appeal. You just run down a corridor jumping and spinning occasionally. I never saw any depth to the game, or room for ingenuity or exploration.
It's no wonder SM64 completely overshadowed Crash Bandicoot, honestly.

Also, if I'm being fully honest, Playstation was almost always marketed as a system for rebellious angsty teenagers. The Sony marketing team of the late 90s was on the most cocaine. The result was that most parents didn't buy their kids a PSX but instead got them N64 where all the cartoony-looking games were.
Even Crash Bandicoot's cartoons were somewhat edgy if I'm remembering them correctly. The only kid-friendly pitch for PSX I can recall was for Jumping Flash 1 or 2, and I think it was part of a multi-game or 3-for-1 gamepack kind of ad.

For the Crash fans that undoubtedly actually exist, what makes the games fun to you?

That was Sega.
Definitely Sega again.

I love Twinsanity with all my heart, but my only issue is Uka Uka and the fuck went wrong with him?
He only protects you from regular enemies, even if you have an active shield mask YOU STILL DIE to nitro and tnt boxes, you also have to manually kill enemies and destroy boxes despite those being the shields main gimmicks.
What the fuck were they thinking?

The Crash series overtly doesn't take itself seriously, there isn't any complicated lore, and Crash himself is a silly goofball. It doesn't have much for autistic faggots to latch on to. The few who have are spectacular mega-autists, however.

I thought it was a difficult but nice idea

>>>/reddit/

Cool projection, faggot

Oh so you're an underage faggot who grew up on analog sticks and never learned to use a D-pad, meaning you never played anything before the N64.

Crash 1 has the same controls as the other two but apparently you can use the joysticks on the sequels but not the original. I wouldn't know because the Dual Analog controller was released later and not with the original system. Plus at the time everyone was used to D-pads because that's what the last two gens of consoles used. Even once you get the analog controller for Ape Escape (the only game that you need it for) you're not just gonna go back and re-train yourself to use the sticks on your older games. Crash is made for the d-pad. Use the D-pad.

Also Banjo isn't even a platformer. Neither is Spyro, really (though it comes closer). Collectathons are not necessarily platformers.

Uh… but you can see what's in front of you. The Boulders levels were the big selling point of the game back then. It was like Crash was running right toward you! In the few other times the game expects you to actually do a path backwards that is usually done forwards (only like twice in the whole game, though a bit more in the sequels) the camera still accommodates for this. The camera in Crash is always very deliberately placed.

What earlier 3D platformers was Crash copying? You can see that it took a lot of inspiration from games like Sonic and Donkey Kong Country, but by making it 3D it really made it a different beast. It also did 3D in a different way (obstacle courses vs open parks) than Mario 64, which came out around the same time. Sonic Adventure kinda copied what Crash was doing, but there are few other games with that type of level design.

It's got tight obstacle course level design, like the Bowser stages from Mario 64, but the whole game. it took was 2D platformers did but translated it to 3D, while other franchises moving to 3D at the time went in very different directions, being more about exploration than tight platforming.

Do people seriously like this crap?

I think Sonic's the only one with multiple paths. Megaman at least has some vertical designs.

Crash's only good game was a spinoff.

Mario doesn't have any complicated lore either.

Fuck off, normalshit

If that's so then why is it so popular among the normalfags? My female coworkers won't shut up about it.

Where we're going, we dont need lore.

because its hip and trendy to like old video games, but only if theres a reason to talk about them

He hit the nail on the head. I hate how we can never go to a time before normalfags and autists ruined everything.

Do you know how cross species breeding works, user?
Nine times out of ten the eggs would reject your sperm and the other tenth you would produce a sterile abomination.

DEEPEST LORE

Only a loser needs friends to play kart games.

Evolvo Ray motherfucker. I don't have to explain shit.

Here's your (you)

It's pretty awesome to see, that naughty dog took the mini game from uncharted 4 and made a standalone edition. But it's only a mini game and you shouldn't expect it to rival super mareon or sanic, espetially since it's a new game and thuper maria came out like 50 years ago.

He obviously wasn't trolling. He was pointing out the absurdity of some other faggot using the same argument against Crash.

Crash is glorious, if you don't like him is because you're a faggot who likes to ate cocks

Western gamers don't like cute games that kick their ass. It makes them feel like they are losing at a kid's game.

Crash isn't cute though.

The first one was great, the rest drowned in other 3d muck.

Sonic 1-3 had little competition.
Also, autism blue and mind mush catchy music.

Yeah, but not THAT kind of style, Mario = jazz/ragtime/etc
Sonic = rugrats like chord progressions and pop music melodies that just wail and wail and wail and hypnotize

Case in point
youtube.com/watch?v=uazL8HejVJ8
vs
youtube.com/watch?v=c0SuIMUoShI

Didn't use the "iconic" overworld stuff like green hill and smb overworld for a reason.

smb underground also drones on, but combined with the game sound effects it has less of a mush factor than DEE DOO DEE DOO DEDEDE DOO DEE DOO DEDEDEOO DEE DEE DADADAD DOODEE
along with
pfueeey, pfoeeey, blilililing, etc

Bonus embed:
You will be hard pressed to find a track like this in ANY Mario game, present, past, or future.

The guy who did the music for Rugrats actually did music for Crash though.

Really?
Well, if that is the case, then that's pretty funny.
But yeah the progression of many Sonic 1 songs are IV ii ii I.

Well, fuck me, hahaha. It's true. Amazing.
But I have spammed enough now, sorry.

memorable only for its grossout factor. level design was so-so

The music was great, too…

Matt Furniss was quite the Chip wrangler for the good old Genesis.

The first game I ever had on ps1 was a collection in the form of a game disc from pizza hut. The first real game for the ps1 I got was medieval (great game), second was spyro the dragon (also great) then I got crash 3 warped, then ape escape and then RE2 then soul reaver. I loved crash, unlocking a new area was great and when I accidentally crashed into the alien road sign and was warped I almost shit.

Also the unlockable moves and the apple launcher were the shit. I completely enjoyed that game. I would stay home when the family went to the movies or out to eat just to play the ps1. I wish I still got the same feeling. I remember telling a therapist I had a secret for years and she thought it was some big thing, but one day I finally told her what it was: I like games more than people. KEK

They tried to fund a new boogerman game on kikestarter but no one gave a shit.

Ok, that got a chuckle out of me.

Das rite.

Actually all older games had lore in their manual but you needn't learn it to understand the game's story. Also Mario Lore is one of the most retarded things to ever be considered by normalfags, since its real Lore would consist just of the Arcade games, Super Mario Bros., SMB2 and every single game past SMB3 (barring probably Super Mario Land) is canonically a play made by some actors (who may or may not be Mario and friends) about the original events from SMB1.

Oh yeah?

jesus christ

Stop falling for it, user

but that's wrong you retard
Shiggy referred to the characters as "actors" in the sense that they can fill any role they need to be used for, not that they're literal actors playing out TV shows and films. It's like how Popeye, Olive Oyl and Bluto are all their own characters that can be exchanged or used for other purposes, like Bluto being a magician or a pilot instead of a sailor for one or two episodes

SMB3 is a story being told in the style of a play, not an actual play performance itself

It was legendary growing up bro. You're just in a casual scene or something. Everybody worth their shit in gaming loves Crash and all the spinoffs.

Crash 1, 2, 3, Crash Bash (Mario Party with more skill over luck gameplay) Crash Team Racing, and then I remember the Ps2 Crash's had problems with load times, like everything did back then.

It had super tight responsive controls, sick graphics for it's time with nice aesthetics and enviroments that varied greatly. The soundtrack is simple, but rememberable and the sound effects were the cherry on top.

The game went from casual friendly in the first world or two, and then became a challenge where you would actually have to spend 20+ lives or more sometimes to get past some of the more difficult checkpoints.

It's also one of the first games I'm aware of to have great replayability in the fact that once a level is beaten, you can enter it again with the intent of either speedrunning it for a gem, getting all the boxes for another (harder than it sounds on some stages) and I believe there was even a hardcore gem to earn on some of the harder stages.

Boss fights were original at the time, and so was the gameplay. First of it's time and it's been copied so hard since. I've played so many games since my childhood that reminded me of Crash mechanics.

This game series is legendary bro… NAUGHTY DOG ENTERTAINMENT!!! Who doesn't remember that as a kid on the startup haha.

truth niggay

Where does the meme of the crash-games being hard come from?

Yeah you die a few times when you're new to the levels, but has it come to this point, where handholding players have made people so unaccumstomed to dying that you think a game is hard because of trial-and-error because you have to make split-second decision which you might even pull off if you aren't a goddam retard, because they game actually has taught you how to beat it beforehand.

I beat all the crash games as a kid. And i didn't even owned them, i borrowed them from a friend and played an hour a day for like a week or so.

100%'ing them is the difficulty.

What about
Like I get what you mean but I don't see what kind of lore there could possibly be if that's not the Play one.

What's the appeal with that?

I love the challenge, the level design really shows its tricks there and it opens up extra levels, what's not to like?

The shitty gameplay?

Remember, PM64 was originally Mario Story in Japan, and the fights in it are meant to be like 3D dioramas/pop-up books rather than plays
TTYD has a play based on it after the game has ended, so while you could argue that the entire game is actually that play, that doesn't mean the events in it didn't happen in-universe. This one is also the least likely to be a re-telling of SMB1 so I don't know what you could be going for here
What, because of the Lakitu Bros.? That was a way of explaining the 3D camera to audiences unfamiliar with 3D gameplay. The biggest thing you could argue is whether or not that means SM64 was a live-documented hostage rescue or not
The opening/ending cutscenes told in a storybook format, that doesn't mean it was acted out
Similar to TTYD, it's not revealed to be a movie until the end. You also have to repair the theater that shows the movie during the game, which means that the events happened and then had the movie based on them

Why did N. Sane Trilogy get rid of boss dialogues?

Maybe they didn't have the rights to use the voices.

Also anyone else think the original graphics look better?

But that doesn't make any sense. They had their own guys redub the entire game, they didn't bring back the old guys. And it wouldn't explain N. Gin's 2 fight since they went to the bother of giving him a scream.

Epic post.

Nice digits, but I don't think that's what he was talking about. Try doing pic related on the first level. You have to tap the d-pad very carefully to not overshoot. I think part of it might be the framerate.

i assumed it was the person who made the gif when i first saw it

not really, fam. GIMP puts him in more of the peachy/red range.

should have been /thread here.

except for projecting faggots like this

Due to hardware constraints its a miracle they even got the game to work in the first place. Watch the dev story on youtube.

Because it's a "remaster" get it they remove things that didn't add to the experience :^)

Then what is Mario Lore?

Mario got popular because he and the NES practically revived console gaming in the U.S. Sonic got popular because he had a huge marketing push in an attempt to rival Mario. Crash had neither, so, despite being a pretty good series of games, he never had the presence of Mario or Sonic.

Good memories…
when naughty dog was good and wasn't led by a nigger-loving queer kike.

Because they were more difficult. Crash Team Racing was like Mario Kart with actual skill involved.

Crash was a copy of Sonic
Sonic is a copy of Mario, with a flare of focus group changes to attract more children
A copy of a copy is bound to attract less than the original, let alone more than its copy.

moreover, Mario roots from the NES, with longer time on the market, and sonic in the megadrive. Crash came way later in the PS1

that's 2 generations alter from Mario (NES and SNES)

Crash 1 is hard because of not being allowed to die and still collect a gem, and because of the save system only letting you save at certain points.

Crash 2 is pretty easy.

Crash 3 is hard because of the Relics.

N. Sane Trilogy makes Crash 1 easy except for the Colored Gems, which you still aren't allowed to die for (so six out of 32 levels are still hard). But they also added Relics to Crash 1 and 2, which are indeed very, very hard. But they also aren't needed to get the good endings of both games. They're still required in Crash 3 though, and I've been having more trouble with them in the new one than I do with the original.

CTR is also hard as fuck if you want the relics and to beat Oxide's ghosts.

It's supposed to be hard. It's probably the hardest part of the game. Not because the controls are bad, just because those are tough jumps. Until you realize you can use the invincibility from earlier in the level to just run across the crates and automatically destroy them along the way.

Mario was already decently famous a generation before the NES, with Donkey Kong and other arcade games.

Crash did have a pretty big marketing push, though I suppose not nearly on the level of Sonic. Crash was the Sonic of his day, because Sega was busy fucking up majorly in the late '90s. Crash filled the void. But when Sonic came back with the Dreamcast, Naughty Dog was releasing the final Crash game, and after that, Universal/Vivendi/Activision would do everything in their power to run Crash's name into the ground and ruin his legacy.

Sauce?

user, that was some OC done to make fun of him, he really never said that.
It was a mockery of the cancerous "current year" faggots in the industry like (((him)))

ITT: Not being whored out remotely as much as Mario or having as repulsive a fanbase as Sonic makes you not a success

ITT: t. Fedoratippers come out yelling Crash wuz none good

It's Holla Forums during Summer. All the fags from garbage pits like reddit, GameFAQs, IGN, and Giantbomb are invading. It's a sewer of being contrary.

Crash has plenty of cute characters who get plenty of spotlight even if he himself isn't. And there's the overall aesthetic.

Yeah, it provided a niche of solid 3D Platforming that isn't by Nintendo.

All fanboys should be killed to be honest. Super Mario shouldn't be a thing anymore. I like the original games on NES, however they should've just left the title alone instead of making a 3D mario for N64. They could've come up with something new, but no, because of the fucking fanboys the corporations will forever keep milking these popular titles and no matter how good or bad they end up being the fanboys will buy them solely because of the name recognition. That's why we have 10 cawadooties, 10 marios, 10 sanics and why they still keep making Star Wars movies.

Naughty Dog did the right thing by ditching Crash for the sake of Jak and Daxter and later ditched Jak and Daxter for the sake of Uncharted. That's what you're supposed to do instead of milking the fanboys with dozens of sequels. Whales and fanboys are the worst thing that has ever happened to video games.

But Jak & Daxter was intended to be Crash in all but name, as we can see with the first game. They didn't ditch Crash, they were bought out and no longer had access to the Crash license (despite their being the creators of it). Jak II only became something different because of focus groups, and if they still had access to Crash, there's a decent chance we would have gotten dark Crash GTA clones instead of dark Jak GTA clones.

The devs at insomniac slowly became huge faggots over the years. Ratchet and Clank as a series is complete shit now. Naughty dogs also got filled with retards that think their shitty writing and garbage games are somehow amazing since they are supposed to be serious. You even had devs their shit on their old work as being to childish and fun.

Probably because it was linear as fuck and Spyro was way better.

There's no mismatched cartoon and comic continuities to sperg DEEPEST LORE out of aside from Crash Retold. I think Crash being a grotesquely unfuckable slice of pizza didn't do him any favors either.

The games are fine for what they are, but there isn't quite enough there to go full retard over.

Crash himself may be hard to get excited about, but there's also Coco, Tawna, and Tiny Tiger for the faggots.

The more important question is why haven't they remastered spyro 2 yet.

Because they're not as good.

FUCK YOU PATRICK KLEPTICSTIENBURG, YOUR DEAD DADDY CAN'T BUY YOUR WAY OUT OF SHITTING ON JEFF'S COMPANY! FUCK YOU JEFF, YOU SHOULD HAVE CLIPPED THIS SHIT IN THE BUD BUT INSTEAD YOU DECIDED TO BE A PASSIVE FAGGOT THAT LET FAGGOTS LIKE PATRICK AND ALEX RUN THAT SHIT TO THE GROUND SO HARD IT KILLED RYAN.

It has to do with timing. Even though Sonic came out after the original Mario, in the US there was the rivalry between Sega and Nintendo, and naturally since these were both their respective companies flagship games and mascots, a lot of people became attracted to them. Another factor is that when you bought the system, most of the time when it came with a game, it would either be Mario or Sonic. One other thing that I want to mention is, you don't have 14/40 year old neckbeards that masturbate over Crash Bandicoot and defend it to the death like they do Mario or Sonic. Seriously, if you don't believe me just start talking shit about Sonic or Mario and see what happens.

At least post Pamela Anderson Tawna or sweet Coco

The latest Ratchet was one of the lesser entries in the series, but it was still pretty good. I say its problems are largely due to being a movie tie in, though not entirely due to that. Into the Nexus was fucking great, though, and that was a budget title that never even claimed to be a full game. Other than a few of the spinoffs also being on the level of the newest game or worse, the franchise is still good overall. I still have plenty of hope for the next entry.

But Insomniac's other output is another matter.

What was it like only getting into video games after GTAIII came out? Do you ever wonder what it would be like to play games with tighter level design and obstacles, like we used to get?

It's tough to have an actual 3D platformer when you can just go around all the obstacles. That's why a lot of the games that get called platformers have little to no platforming in them, Spyro included. Spyro is still one of my favorites and on par with Crash, but it's a different kind of game.

You think they won't now that Crash sold like hotcakes?

Do you think Agent 9 is part of the same organization as Agent Zero? Are Handel and Greta two of Agents 1-8?

I never implied or explicitly said that, but okay.
I never said anything else in the game wasn't cute. Crash is supposed to be crazy and cool.

This conversation is irrelevant, because user said that older audiences feel bad losing in a "cute" game, and someone else said Crash wasn't cute, but obviously "cute" here meant "cartoony," as in something that seems aimed at kids, and cartoons are aimed at kids.

It's certainly BETTER remembered than Banjo by the general population, but Banjo had the benefit of not being passed on to other developers only to have its reputation get shat on the following gen. It was the golden era of the games, and then a long time gap until we got the shitty one. Crash was legitimately one of the most recognizable video game characters of its era, but Universal got greedy as fuck and made Wrath of Cortex happen. The game sold extremely well but it was mediocre compared to the originals, leaving a bad taste in nearly everyone's mouth.

I believe that answers the question as to why there wasn't a Sonic-tier fanbase or even Banjo-tier later on, because as soon as 6th gen hit there was already this huge baggage with the franchise. The quality was sky-high the first few games but it didn't last long enough to produce a delusional army of lifers.

True, even the N Sane trilogy looks bland compared to the old ones, and it's definitely not a case of nostalgia glasses, even the animations are worse.

Every single one of these criticisms apply to Mario. If sonic has a personality, then Crash does too.
This would make good bait though. If so, you got me.

are you really implying the n. sane trilogy has worse animations than the originals

I was just playing that, user. I still have the old disc too. Is an okay game.

Isn't the worst part of Wrath of Cortex the load times? I also read that the "Greatest Hits" version fixes this issue and that its just derivative copy of Crash 2 and 3. The same developers also made Twinsanity and that is generally considered to be still fun even though its not as good as the classics.The later games are when the IP was truly bastardized but even they are better then Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Mind you I've only played the first two Crash games, so this is all based on hearsay.

Sonic 06 is a special case of awful. It had potential but they royally fucked it up, which makes their more recent fuck up of Sonic Boom even more retarded.

Shadow the hedgehog was ok. Classic annoyingly mediocre fair which makes sense. Most games of that type have an unusually large number of fans defending it.

It failed because it lacked consistent support and exposure. A simple case of an abandoned mascot only to be picked up by people who either lacked the talent, resources, and/or integrity of the original. Glad to see it's getting a potential revival too. It along with a lot of Playstation era 3D platformers deserve some recognition in the modern age.

1 is mediocre, but is actually reasonably challenging. Its gameplay is weak sure, but the challenge is something scarcely seen, and was even the case in the 90s. Some levels are total shit though, as are the bosses. Fantastic art style though.
2 is a top tier platformer. I don't give a fuck if anyone disagrees, the level design is pretty damned solid. It's better than Mario 64, or pretty much any platformer released during the same time. The gameplay is genuinely engaging, and the pacing is fantastic. Also has some the best water levels ever seen in a video game. The only weak aspects are the backtracking and a few of the bosses.
3 has great bosses, and the platforming is mostly very good. The Egyptian levels in particular are a highlight. The downside to this game is again, the backtracking, the gimmicky levels and being FAR too easy. It's a good game. Not great.

2>3>1

Banjo Kazooie is over-rated to hell, and is probably the worst of fondly remembered platformers of the 90s. Mario 64 is good, but has a lot of issues which mars the entire experience, such as the atrocious camera, and the reuse of so many levels, extremely repetitive. Spyro is pretty good, excellent pacing. But suffers from some drawbacks in the sense of the core gameplay not being anyway near as polished as Crash, or Mario. Still aged better than Mario 64 though. Conker is a meme. Donkey kong 64 is literal shit.

This is objectively wrong, flourescent orange is the most attraction-grabbing color scientifically.

You know the rules, you have to.

Wrath of Cortex's graphics aren't that bad outside of the cutscenes, and even then, most of the cutscenes are just Crunch and the masks, who aren't that bad. The biggest problem with the game is definitely the load times. Otherwise it's an okay game. Very similar to Crash 3, but this is largely because Universal made Travelers' Tales restart development less than a year before release or some crazy shit like that.

Also, fuck you, Shadow the Hedgehog is a flawed game, but it's much better than Crash of the Titans or Mind Over Mutant.

Getting the relics in the N. Sane Trilogy has given me a new appreciation for Crash 1. The level design is fantastic in that game. Incredibly intricate in ways you wouldn't expect unless you're going through them fast as fuck and really having to pay attention to all the details. I used to think 2 blew it out of the water, but now I might think 1 is better.

Loading times in ps2 wrath were absolutely horrendous, what doesn't help is that it's just warped with slightly better and at the same time worse graphics.
Twinsanity could have been GOAT if TT was allowed to actually finish the game and not being forced to shit it out in like 8 months by it's publisher.
Whoever owned Spyro and Crash after their original devs had a mindset that these franchises will print money on themselves and that zero effort and quality control is needed to do so.

Universal always owned Crash and Spyro, then their games division was bought by Vivendi, which was bought by Activision. The only thing is that somehow '90s Naughty Dog and Insomniac were able to work under their ridiculous conditions. Had to help that they had more than one year to make the first entry in each franchise, unlike the people who followed them.

Go run to Sega Forums.

The first game was confusing in many aspects and had bad music.

Spyro the dragon.

It was very publicly known that Naughty dog would not be making crash games after CTR, and that Universal was having Travelers "Sonic R and Sonic 3D blast" Tales make the crash games now
So Crash fans were split up between people who moved onto Jak and Daxter, and people who were somehow devoted enough to the orange mascot to tolerate a thinly veiled remake of the 3rd game.

Putting aside how Crash has no shortage of good looking anthros (be they cool, cute, or smoking), the bandicoot himself isn't THAT bad looking. If nothing else the Japs dig him just fine.

I strongly disagree with the music. I love that relaxed natural shit. Upstream has one of the best tracks in the whole series.

But confusing? How? Go from point A to point B and try not to die if you're going for 100%. There are a couple times when you need to go back to an old level after getting a colored gem, once again only if you're going for 100%. It's an incredibly simple game.

Huh? Did you accidentally the rest of your sentence here?

They did, it just died off when they stopped making Crash games for 8 years, but it's getting back now judging from sales of the N.Sane Trilogy.

I never understood why they didn't actually implement the Japanese designs into the games until Tag Team Racing of all things.

Some are still there (like N. Tropy), it's inconsistent.

Wait 2 years.

That's just another one of those "I TOTALLY WUV PLATFORMERS BUT HATE HAVING TO DO PLATFORMING" fags who need to have distractions like too much combat, muh freeroaming, cinematic experiences, and riding an edgycycle with your edgy guns. They're just sore Naughty Dog Crash actually remembered it's a game where you jump over stuff.

I mean look:

It's total Game Forum Fags up in here.

To be fair to that last guy, he was obviously being sarcastic.

I tried playing the Crash trilogy on PS4 the other day and deer fucking god, what a mess. I don't know if the games were always that bad, but christ almighty are they not fun.
The level design is okay at best, usually shit, but it's the controls that make it absolute ass to play.
Did they really truly fuck up remastering these games or are they accurate and my nostalgia goggles fucking slipped. Because I swear to god I can still play SMB3 to this day and have a fucking blast, but Crash Bandicoot would be put down by any fucking vet with an ounce of compassion.

Off to IGN/reddit/NeoGAF with you.

yes they botched the remake. they even admitted it too but all they said was deal with it.

Naw, there is slight difference in the controls, but it's very slight. The level design is awesome because it's exactly the same. That guy you're replying to is just a faggot.

Played crash two and liked it.

Played crash one and avoided the whole franchise.

I liked CTRacing, though.

Thread reminder that Sonic would be little better than Crash at keeping the spotlight if:

A. He wasn't whored out so much (see getting a cameo in a car insurance commercial).

B. He didn't have internet memes to keep him relevant (see the wacky Steve Urkel Sonic cartoon).

C. He didn't have a hideous fanbase that it being so hideous is a meme by itself (see Chris-Chan).

D. He couldn't sail on being Mario's old rival back in the day.

Accounting for those, Sonic haven't been doing so hot. Not a single 3D Sonic game is non-polarizing and even the Adventure titles haven't held up as well as the PSX Crash. Nowadays Sonic's current relevance largely comes from outside his games.