Can we have a thread about crpgs? Which of the old ones still hold up by today's standards...

Can we have a thread about crpgs? Which of the old ones still hold up by today's standards? I tried playing Neverwinter Nights but it wasn't fun at all, after 20h I knew for sure it would never get better. Pic related on the highest difficulty was a blast.

Other urls found in this thread:

neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/warlock-buddy
neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/nwn1-module-lists
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sure its summer here

Neverwinter Nights 2 has the deepest character creation out of any game. Have you tried that? OC is kind of generic and boring though, MOTB is great and SOZ is a neat idea that needed a better implementation.

if you gotta ask

It's alright if you enjoy this I guess.

No, I didn't I only played the original with the original campaign. I did think of playing 2 though but after some quik research to see if this one would surely be better than the original it seemed lots of people complained about the game being on some sort of time system due to its mechanics? That scared me a bit thinking I wouldn't have time to go around casually exploring everything and went for Divinity Original Sin instead.

The problem of Divinity:OS is the Poirots who made this game never played a turn-based game. Why do I have to watch fucking skeletons and orcs walk and talk shit for minutes in some areas before I get to my turn? Why can't I fast forward that? It's not like I can even do anything when it's their time. Also why is the savegame issue from Divine Divinity returning? They got bloated in size and unstable until redownloaded from steam cloud. It made me feel displeased but strangely nostalgic as I remembered how a few saves in DD took tons of GBs back in the day.

The game is solid and fun but also annoying so I didn't finish it. Is D:OS2 an improvement?

By that logic, Dark Souls is the hardest game ever and anyone who plays it is a masochist.
Haven't you learned not to listen to normalfags by this point?
You have two paths for MOTB. Good and evil. Good means you lose less spirit over time but can't gain as much spirit back using abilities. Evil means you gain more spirit when you use the abilities but lose spirit faster over time. Evil isn't even that hard thanks to the infinite spirits running around.

yeah that was annoying, as well as the humour which i wasn't a fan of (that particular kind)

I generally dislike when games keep wasting my time. I really liked Resident Evil so i wanted to check out the HD version. Lo and behold, every time i enter a room i need to watch a picture of a fucking door for 10 seconds. It doesn't even load anything, it's just this long animation

That was my biggest gripe with D:OS, so much so I stopped like 80% of the way through the game and uninstalled because I could simply no longer stomach how fucking long it took to get through a battle. Every single battle, even if it was piss easy, took five times longer than it needed to because everything was so fucking slow. Giving orders was slow, watching your orders get executed was slow, watching and waiting for enemies to take their turn was slow, every single thing about it was glacial and a huge pain in the ass. Even XCOM did TBT better and that shit wasn't even an RPG.

That's because Nu-com is an almost exact copy of D&D Tabletop rules.

Do I still need to rest every 3 spells?

Learn to use wands/scrolls and stop wasting spells. You get an item to infinitely summon an elemental in the first dungeon so use that instead of burning your own spells.

Yeah, and even the movement speed of the characters was slow as shit. The slowness is Stella Glow-tier, worse in some aspects but better in certain ones though. If D:OS2 fixed all that shit, it would definitely be a game for me to buy, but I never saw anyone claim it has fast forwarding of turns yet.

If they slashed the gameplay slowness by a third and made more interesting battle dynamics while keeping everything else about it, it could be a genuinely good cRPG. The way D:SO was though, it couldn't hold a candle to the original Divine Divinity.

Was it the gameplay or the campaign that bothered you? Because if it was the campaign, there are a *lot* of very good NWN modules you could try.

20th what? Level, hour?

Jesus Christ, OP, just how much of a fucking pansy are you?

Knowing for a fact I don't like being on a timer constitutes all of those?

I don't think the gameplay was bad just that I maybe picked the least involved class in the entire game. I wanted to be a druid that controls the elements and fucks shit up with the power of nature. What actually happened was me not receiving any damage spells but only buff/debuff ones. The playstyle then consisted of casting armor/magic resist/attp on my bear and companion while I go fap in the corner, occassionaly oiling the ground for knockdowns if they really pulled too much by accident.

In the second act(?) where you have to go from cave to cave to uncover clues about the magus organisation controlling the lesser tribes is where I started giving up. It was me watching my bear and companion autoattack stuff to death for hours in caves that never seemed to change. One of them had the grave/treasure with a spirit protecting it if you remember, the answer he wants to his question is in a book that's very easy to find in the same cave. A lot of the optional stuff in this campaign was ridiculous easy like this which does not really make me feel like I'm trying to solve puzzles.
Anyway the install of NWN2 is almost done I'll give that a go and I'm sure as fuck not picking druid.

kill yourself weeb

the main campaign of NVN did suck ass. stop trying so hard to fit in, you projecting faggot.

Satan couldn't handle my autism. And there's a reason why civilized faggots write hours instead of h or what other shit you tbhsmh tier nigger.

I know what you mean. That's a problem with D&D's magic system in general - it really, really doesn't like it when you try to play a spellcaster as a direct damage dealer. It favors buffs/debuffs and utility spells instead. I like to play direct damage casters as well, and even though I do like NWN overall, that particular aspect of it has always annoyed me. I find that sorcerers are the best class if you want to fuck shit up with magic. They use a slightly different casting system that's easier to manage, and the fact that they're charisma-based means you'll also be good at dialogue checks. You might want to try a sorcerer next time.

NWN2 uses the same ruleset that NWN1 uses, so I don't know if it'll work out much better for you. Personally, I hate it. I hate how it looks, I hate how it plays, I don't find it fun at all. Some people like its main campaign, but I thought all the characters were insufferable and the story wasn't interesting. And there are far fewer user-made modules available, because its toolset was a lot harder to use. It does have some new classes, though. You might enjoy playing a warlock, because they're pretty good for blasting stuff (they get infinite magic blasts).You might as well give it a try, but if it doesn't work out, consider going back to NWN1 and checking out the official expansions as well as the custom modules. Tales of Arterra and The Aielund Saga are two of the best ones.

I have a feeling you played a warlock in NWN2. And no, you can be a blaster in DnD it's just that you need to depend on AoE heavy hitters and metamagic to do the job.

LOOK AT HIM! LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH!

that doctor is really good at staying alive

Stop being a fucking summerfag.

Actually, I played a sorcerer. I've considered tying a warlock, but I just can't stand playing NWN2.

*trying

the first Icewind Dale and BG2 hold up really well, as does Planescape: Torment. I'd strongly recommend the widescreen patches at a minimum for modern systems.

it seems like you have Tourette syndrome coupled with mental retardation, not autism

All of the good Resident Evil's had loading doors, you must mean you really like Resident Evil 4+ which aren't even Resident Evil games.

Just play the expansions and community created content from nwn

Most CRPGs which try to ape D&D end up being trash but some have things which set them apart despite half baked D&D implementation.
Give Albion and Darkland a whirl. There is also Waxworks and those Elvira games but those are heavy on puzzles.

Sorcerer/FS are less flexible than wizard/cleric when you think about it. Especially when you consider some of the shit like meta feats or domain powers.

(checked)

I'm waiting for the 2nd game to come out

Maybe, but I don't care about being a "do everything" wizard, and I like the background lore for sorcerers. Sorcerers can actually be more flexible with metamagic, because they can use it on the fly instead of having to prepare a metamagiced spell in advance.

Which is what

I'm missing out on a bunch of good shit I know, but I just can't enjoy them.

You play NWN for the custom campaigns, servers of custom content that still exist to this day, and the community. Not for the shitty campaigns.

the main campaign sucks but the rest of the game is good

the xpack campaigns are pretty good though

Thing about RPG is that I never know what the fuck the point does, I know the description but I don't know what a 9 Strength would translate to in the Attack department, it's never explained.

Anyways I played OS and managed to get far until the external HDD that I had got fucked and lost my saves. I agree with the people saying the game has slow combat.

You can disable your story related 'hunger' mechanic entirely with manual file editing, if that makes you troubled. And how do you manage to have only 3 9th tier spell slots as a 20+lvl character? Multiclassing, yet complaining about resting every few spells cast? Play a warlock then and shut your mouth. Don't forget to install this mod:
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/warlock-buddy

lmfao

Isn't story the main strength of rpgs? What's the fun part?

For NWN? Character creation, stories written by modders and multiplayer servers. It's like almost Bethesda but 20 years ago.

You know that there's more to the story than that right ?
I remember when I was younger and being amazed when it opened up and getting horribly lost on the world map.
As others have said though a lot of the enjoyment will come from the expansions or custom modules.

What was your point with this?

Neverwinter Nights was designed to have campaigns made for it, back when this was a relatively fresh and interesting idea instead of the lazy cop-out bullshit it is today. It came with a decent campaign creator and some fan-made campaigns out there were pretty good, but finding them now is probably a hassle.

Who told you that?

Funny how it never works. Literally, in bethesda's case.

It isn't. They're on the new Neverwinter Vault or NWN Nexus. The Neverwinter Vault even has a bunch of lists that categorize modules based on certain traits, so if there's something specific you want from a module, it's pretty easy to find:

neverwintervault.org/forums/neverwinter-nights-1/nwn1-modules/nwn1-module-lists

No man, you don't get it. Scribe scroll and craft wand are what makes wizards that much better. Also INT is usually much more valuable than CHA unless you're doing some weird paladin gish.

Sadly crafting and scribing in most d&d rpgs is meh at best.

I can think of more where it's game-breaking good than those where it's meh. BG and NWN as two high profile examples.

what
You talked about crafting wands and scribing scrolls, where is that in beegees.

Sorcerers can take those feats, too, and in NWN, you can never be sure if a given module will even provide you with blank scrolls or whatever it is you use to craft wands. Plus, the spells cast from wands or scrolls don't get any DC bonus from your spellcasting stat.

Or if you like to be good at persuasion checks. Which I do.

I take it you didn't play with the mage stronghold or with HLAs?

They can but they don't have the spell pool the wizards have. And there's no DC on beneficial and non-hostile spells. Admittedly there's no caster level either

Friends and Eagle's splendor can get you in the 16-20s even if you're mark tier charismatic and in NWN high INT and spare skill points count for far more than the CHA modifier. For example you'd get +5 for your persuasion with CHA 20-21 while you'll have much more than 10 skill points to burn with INT in the 20s.

Of course, if you're playing a slut module that's another story.

Did, it had shit all to do with D&D crafting.
Huh?

If you're a mage that claims the stronghold AND you didn't lose any apprentices you'll get at least one of them as a resident you can bully into crafting you shit.

ToB (and IWD+) shenanigans.

How many fucking times has it been said here and on every fucking forum on the internet?
DON'T PLAY THE VANILLA CAMPAIGN
PLAY SOTU+HOTU

NWN never opens up and doesn't have a "world map", so what the hell are you smoking? Even the expansions (which are much better) are still pretty much completely linear (that "4 exit" thing was them trying to be nonlinear and failing horribly).

Maybe he meant DoD?

Suffice it to say I didn't finish it.

how's the 2nd one. Any EARLY ACCESS shitters on here who have come to confess

Jesus christ this game was a shitshow. I rolled a character way back and played through the start quests, which took forever, then I noticed that my build was shit and couldn't progress. I didn't reroll because fuck doing hours of slow ass walking around when you just got done with it.

Tried it again for a couple of days and realized that once again I couldn't progress after a certain point, so I get to grinding. At some point I notice that I'm just not enjoying the game at all. Just savescumming until you get that one hit in that turns the tide of the battle and dying 18 times before that. I usually enjoy a hard battle in crpgs if my tactics can actually have an effect on the outcome. In this game the enemy can just kill me in a couple of turns so the combat was mostly trying to surprise the enemy with my non-stealth character, throwing a grenade and hoping that at least one of the enemies dies from it because otherwise I might as well reload immediately.

I started to think if I should roll ANOTHER character, this time looking up a guide on what can actually progress in the game, but I realized that the game was tedious, annoying, badly designed and I hadn't had ANY fun playing it.

Glad I didn't pay anything for it.

You're retarded; you're immediately given free gear and money to buy better gear and the whole fucking game is balanced around you losing your equipment at the start. Hell, you can get the stuff that was stolen back on something like floor 3, not exactly a tall order.

How shit are you? There are a lot of good builds and they are all pretty obvious

If the slow walking speed is a problem though, I recommend using cheat engine and turning on the speed hack. It's a very useful tool in a LOT of games just to speed up animations that do nothing but waste your time.

That's not a fucking crafting system.

Sure sounds like crafting. You know what's also crafting in said game? Certain HLAs which you don't even know are a thing and literal crafting. Weapons, armor and "wondrous items".

I did, but you steered to crafting proper and when I elaborated your response was wuh and nu-huh. Last time: if you don't know about it or can't utilize it that's your problem.

No user, you're just shit.

I tell you what's comfy anons;
Drakensang: The Dark eye, and It's sequel, Drakensang: Rivers of Pfucking can't remember how this shit was spelt just type in Drakensang 2

It's a game made with the Dark Eye RPG system, and it's very comfy indeed. Don't go in expecting a massive epic story wise though, but the gameplay is just enough to hold you in for the sheer divulgence of generic and non-generic fantasy in this game. Also Character creation has been somewhat skimped over in both games, so although you get to select stats, you're limited as to what your character actually looks like unless you download a mod or something.

Alpha Protocol is also a very solid CRPG, and I don't understand why it hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. NWN and NWN 2 should be fucking staple by this point, and for those wondering, yes, the original campaigns do suck balls. That's not why people keep flooding back to these games. They both include different versions of a very powerful toolset which essentially allows you to create your own campaign or 'module' pretty much from scratch, essentially putting user created content as a precedent over pretty much everything else as to why people are still playing these games.

Kenshi also has quite a nice CRPG vibe. Warband also plays a bit like a CRPG in that it has stats for your PC.

I just looked up UnderRail and I can't believe I missed it being a thing. I'm heading to bed but playing it tomorrow morning.
Anything that would be nice to know prior to starting your first playthrough?

NWN1 is trash, what are you talking about?

you're going to fucking die a lot and not every encounter will be "fair"

seriously some people just scrap their characters and re-try with new builds because some will actually screw you

Alpha Protocl, while having near perfect roleplaying and choices for everything, absolutely has terrible gameplay.

I love that game, but the combat sucks true ass

Divinity Original Sin is literally the best RPG to come out in years.

take the pill and punch people with your mind

Time to go back to your babby games, kiddo

If only it didn't run a little too hot on my toaster…
But after the recent optimization patches, I guess the only option I have left is to upgrade.

Specialize, specialize, specialize. T(ele)K(inetic) = MK > PK. SR >>> AR > SMG > Pistols. Save every time you level up.

I was going to disagree with you but I can't think of any other RPGs it even had to compete with. Those conversation choices affecting stats sucked ass, let me roleplay without fucking up my build.

I didn't knew this community was so cucked

Nexus is run by homos but this is blatantly false and you are legitimately retarded.

There was a good Arcanum thread not too long ago. Going to start another play tonight.

Can anyone comment on the Spiderweb games? Probably not much in the way of cutscenes or animation, but is the progression satisfying? Story any good?

I see them in bundles everywhere but they aren't brought up much.

Fucking thank you. I really tried to get into D:OS as well but that humor was grating as fuck. I don't think even got past the interdimensional area when you look for clues in the murder scene because the guy who voiced Invader Zim's writing made me alt f4 that shit. I hate how this game's dialogue and Torchlight's visuals are so terrible I can't finish them.

Unfortunately, because the combat system is fun (albeit slow).

I just depise the ha-ha quirkiness of the writing. It's kind of like the polar opposite of edgy writing, still annoying and unbearable.

When it comes to torchilight, I only found the game fun when played with a friend. Somehow, I was able to forget about the visuals.

Path of Exile is better anyway, and Fall of Oriath is something I'm really waiting for.

Drakensang: River of TIme was great. The optional river temple dungeon was a good time. I rolled a summoner. The class quest line was pretty good too.

It's not an epic story. Most of the quests reminded me of table top campaigns. I think Drakensang is a German pen and paper system so it makes some sense. I think they pulled off the table top -> video game RPG better than what happened with the D&D system.

I really didn't find it that tryhard quirky, like some other games I don't even want to mention. I thought it was just a little light-hearted, sometimes even charming. It didn't work for me all the time, but it didn't make me groan or anything.