Which is the best class, and why is it unarmed/fist weapon monk?

Which is the best class, and why is it unarmed/fist weapon monk?

cuz smashing shit with your fists of fury, especially in a game when other enemies are armored and armed is particularly satisfying

STAY MAD EQUIPMENT FAGS.

Baker. Look at this mean son of a bitch and tell me he couldn't bake you a fine motherfucking cake after delivering to your table fresh from the oven, a delicious pizza straight off the peel with heavenly breadsticks.

In any class-based game that lets me have a gun or crossbow, I'll take a gun or crossbow.

Especially if I can be a gunmage.

You came to the wrong thread pal

Monks are such a stupid class.
Have fun breaking your fists on my plate mail.

And they're not even actual monks that would be fighting in wars or battling demons. Real monks are closer to what we call paladins.

HHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Seriously?
The class for whimps that cannot deal with reality of first being shit against an armed opponent.

Only an idiot would NOT wear armor and wield weapons in battle. More is always better.

Monks, in game, thought me that they can punch through anything.

When I think of it, warrior is always best class for utility.

Mage is always going to be more broken.

Why there are games that exist that don't have a wizard/soldier combo option is beyond me. Why is magic limited to a bunch of people who wear dresses and read books? Surely there'd be benefit in having both your frontline offence and defence have the ability to sear through steel with the power of pure mana?

Magic warrior is a pretty common class, but knowing that balance is a thing, you ain't going to be a super good at both at the same time.

Have you played anything other than rock, paper and scissors? Every MC is a magic wielding knight paladin/dark knight. The only ones that won't allow you to use magic is the ones that allow you to gimp yourself at the character creation.

Because games still rely on hitpoints for combat, and the abstraction absolutely fucks the ability to balance anything. Until combat mechanics are given a second look and an attempt is made at realism, everything will continue to be watered down same-same pablum.
Get back to me when game mechanics can account real time for a fireball sucking all the air out of a room or an arrow pinning a mage's hand midcast. Until then everything is going to suck and be the same.

Let's get this shit started:
or

It is, but surprisingly there are games where a spellsword class just doesn't exist, at least for player characters. The closest thing being a cleric or paladin, which is technically using Jesus Power and not mana.

Spellsword slips off the tongue better than battlemage. It also conjures up the image of the PC using his sword as his wand.

Will blue mages make a comeback? It doesn't need to be final fantasy. In fact I'd rather not have them use blues anymore.

Astronomy was the best class because the teacher was cool and it was actually educational.

Shit like this is why you're a lazy NEET.

Armed forces designed to move in formation with other combatants as part of a larger unit. Can of course still fight by themsleves much liky a cavalry or hoplite would still be capable enough in very small scale combat without a unit. More likely to have heavier armor and blugeoning weaponry
Either an individual agent (bounty hunter, adventurer etc.) equipped for urban/guerilla small scale combat, or a high-ranking person with equipment closer to parade armor. Almost always the former, works very well individually or in small differentiated groups, but very inefficient in large scale combat. In the second case it's likely they have some level of command.

All these retarded apes think punching things like a pleb is great
Gaze upon the power of a god, and weep

AAUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sounds like a serious class.

What if I use calculus to maximize my punching impact?

The best class IMO is still a paladin or a cleric that can self-buff and self-heal himself, a completely self-sufficient warrior.

Or greater, a paladin or cleric that can buff his own allies.

What kind of paladin or cleric can't buff their allies? Even Final Fantasy lets you do this.

14, 22, 26, 34, 38, 46, 49, 62, 74, 82, 86, 91, 94, 98

A dead boss is easier to deal with than a living one. Meta games are all about bum rushing the boss so one monk is more than enough.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't add action for multiples of 2.

It will always be wizard for me.
Things you can do as wizard with good spells just don't compare to anything else.

blue mages in ffta were fucking bullshit
their skill would have them take mp damage instead of hp
and you'd start with full mp in ffta and recover mp each turn

Why the fuck would you wield four hand-weapons at once?

Good read, man. That's basically an identical outcome to when I played in a party of two paladins, two clerics and a monk (and a thief) and all the devout characters fought over who had the best god, and we all ended up excommunicated from our respective faiths because of terrible rolls.

Because he has four arms. Duh.

I'm a sucker for those stories

The autist kind

What an anti-climax.

You're kidding right?

Well, it wasn’t real, anyway.

Nice read. Have any more ridiculous RP stories?

What is the gayest faggot, and why is it OP?

This man knows what he's fucking talking about. He'll shove a stale loaf up your ass if you insult his craft. Biceps for days from kneading dough.

For myself, where possible, I prefer to play a brick wall with unlimited HP regen. I'll kill them with my hugs.

That sounds really gay.

only a couple

Where possible I also grab some kind of death avoidance.
Also going by the same universe cross, one punch man can never truly defeat Doomsday so fuck you my build is better. I don't even like doomsday.

that's about it

It's not about can't. It's about wasting magic on normalfags when personal buffs turn you into a one man army. If the fighter wanted to smite people with the fury of the gods, they should have gone to church or wizard school, not expect the spell casters to cuck out and give them welfare magic so they can play at being hero, while being propped up and draining resources from an actually useful member of the party.

I agree, though there's an obvious exception when hilarious gimimcks are afoot.

I've honestly never played a single game where a cleric or paladin's buffs, or at least some of them, don't effect the entire party by default.

From a realism point of view it's just not feasible for a human with a limited life-span to master the two while still being in his prime for fighting in melee. There are only so many 160+IQ übermensch who voluntarily interrupt their magic studies to learn mundane tasks like how to swing a sword and get /fit/. You could make the case that creatures with a longer lifespan such as elves would be more suited for a spell-sword type role.
That being said, even an elf would probably find out somewhere along his training that he has a particular knack for fighting over magic or vice-versa and it would be more beneficial to play to your strengths and just focus on developing exactly that.
That being said, there's no way a wizard wouldn't put on armor if he's going into battle unless it obstructs his magic in some way. So you could technically have your "battle-mage" since he looks like a soldier with all the armor but he won't waste his time trying to fight in melee.

It's been a while since I played D&D, so forgive my autistic ancap meme. From what I remember, priest buffs like Prayer effect everyone, including any critters the caster summoned, but the Paladin and Cleric have a few spells that work just as well on themselves as other members of the party, like stuff that increases strength. I just remember the Cleric player getting pissy about being expected to load up on healing magic, while the Druid, who could also cast healing spells, just turned into a bear or dinosaur, cast a few buffs spells, then ate everything that looked at him wrong.

I like the way you think, it is simply Heavenly

I like it alot.

I really like the unarmed combat in SaGa Frontier. DSC a fucking best.

I'd forgotten how much I love martial arts in vidya. Every fucking time, something cathartic happens.

I thought I fucking had it, but does someone have the webm of the ff6 train suplex?

It's currently in the webm thread, I think.

The Holy Avenger. The "PURGE AND SMITE" kind of paladin, not the "Heal and bless"

Have the illustrated version

Even those at least get some kind of attack roll bonus aura or something.

how the fuck did I miss that

Scholar is clearly the most superior class.
Wizards and other artificers are acceptable.

I'd like to play a Sapper from Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. Can use sword and shield effectively but proficient at tunneling and the use of alchemical clay grenadoes, including sharpers, flamers and cussers which hit like god punching the earth. Can also fire said explosives from modified crossbows.

I want to see a RPG that gives you a full spectrum of classes.
You can roll a monk. The game starts in a small village and you get to beat up some local drunk punks. Their makeshift clubs and fists are no match for the players skill and technique.

But the sole purpose of the that first fight it to lure you into a false sense of security, to make you think the class actually works. Against anyone in armor with weapons that isn't a untrained drunkard, the monk would loose badly.

It would be glorious.

I want to cum on her bald head

Stupid nigger

This is basically how the Monk works in the original D&D editions, at low levels. Yeah, sure, you can punch out a kobold. Someone comes at you with armor and a shield? Good luck doing jack shit. And with your shitty damage, you're fucked.

Of course, high level is a different matter entirely, since a Grandmaster level Monk is basically Kenshiro.

Seems like you still have to minmax, use 3rd party books or get some DM fiat to pull that stuff off, at least for 3.5/PF. Especially in PF. God do they hate monks.

Way too good. Their skills pretty much cover everything (they can revive, heal HP and MP at the same time and have a linear attack with a lot of range and a more flexible attack with mid-range), they have really high health with barely any equipment, and hit harder than weapons. Not having to give them equipment allows you to spend more money on other characters like your mages, or Agrias, or whatever.

Ninjas with martial arts are also insanely good. Two 999s every turn (maybe only with good compatibility), by the end of the game, and they are fast as shit. Female monks or ninjas are slightly weaker, but they can use that perfume with haste and just assrape everything with their speed.

By the end of the game, Ramza also has that ability that raises all of his stats, including attack and speed, so he's a really good monk. I think the bravery mechanic actually determines fist damage as well, and it raises that too. Can't remember, so I don't know for sure, though.

There isn't a single FF game where Monks or their prestige class equivalent isn't stupidly overpowered.

Monk class in Explorers wasn't all that fun from what I've seen
maybe in the late game

People that make this kind of shit are the reason Man of Steel and BvS are a thing.

who needs a bard when this guy can sing while he cooks up a piping hot pizza pie

Actually, Master in the original Final Fantasy is barely an upgrade. Pretty sure that it reduces some stat. Can't remember. It was too long ago. Haven't played the original in a long time.

But using monks in FF1 isn't worth it anyway, in the long run. Only your warrior should be attacking and everyone else should be buffing and healing him. Temper and haste, or whatever they were called. He also gets all of the best unique equipment, of course.

In the beginning, though, they are fantastic. Really high damage, but no real cost. But the final team should ideally be a Knight that is like a fucking god, and everyone is there just to suck his dick and make him stronger, and resurrect each other.

Superman is a fucking mary sue, I hate that invincible moral incorruptible fuck. Superman is what i imagine child would think up if told to create a comic character

Uhh he flys, he's got lazers, and super speed and he's da strongest also uhh all the only heroes want to be him because he's the leader of the heroes plus he's got a super secret cave :DDD.

Literally a child's creation

user, he's jewish creation and represents jewish messiah.

Makes perfect sense.

The best RPG class is summoner + gunner.

Im doing a run in kotor 2 where I'm unarmed the entire time. So far so good. High dex, dueling and the automatic increase in damage has pretty much carried it. Felt pretty good knocking pic related's dick in the dirt using my arms.

Rolling for something magic

Enjoy holding up carriages.

I can't hear you over the sound of me robbing faggots and raping bitches

No. Lancer is best class. I'm gonna fuck your day up and there isn't much you can do about it.

I ended up quitting FFXI because I couldn't find a party any more with my Monk. I had it specced out with Dragoon as a sub-job, so that in a fight - I could pull decent enough aggro as it was with just my attacks, but then I had a buddy who was a thief who would backstab off of me, and as soon as I pulled all the hate - I'd Jump - leaving the mob just standing there flailing impotently at the air for a while until the Paladins could finally pull hate back from them by the time I landed and got in my final hit. By the time the whole cycle as over, I only had a second or two cool down time before I could start again. Damned neared nobody took damage in the party.

But it wasn't on the "approved" list of job combos, so nobody wanted to group outside of linkshell, and most of them quit after a few months.

Related, this always gets me.

Posting for posterity

Because unarmed damage scales to be better than any base damage with enough exp. NWN 2 sorta fixed this by having damage also scale with strength which Monks usually didn't pick. Unfortunately they also introduced the sacred fist class which let you stack Monk dodge bonuses with armour allowing you to make a completely invincible character.l

If you're talking about preset Elder Scrolls classes that use a hybrid of magic skills and physical fighting, what about nightblade or witch hunter? Nobody ever talks about those.

What about a warrior that obtains self-sufficiency by debuffing the enemy instead of buffing themselves?

There was one of these threads a few months ago and I rolled dragoon. Rolling again.

KotOR II allows ridiculous lightsaber damage and stat increases from lightsaber crystals, or even being a gunner Jedi with Mandalorian Disintegrators, but until you get those high-end items, unarmed is a really good choice. You can do more damage unarmed than with a basic lightsaber.

Give me that _33_

how the hell do you even balance something as powerful as a monk? high HP, high damage, fast speed. i can't think of any downsides u can give a monk other than no weapons (which isn't really anything considering how powerful they are without them)

In FF:T, which I would argue is the best interpretation of a Monk in any RPG to date, they're primarily balanced by your Support ability slot. So Monks in FF:T are Fast (more turns), have Med-High damage, can attack from range, can Heal, Revive, and purge status effects, and have decent base HP. Holy shit, they must be amazing, right? Well, sort of.

The first problem we run into is that they can only equip light armor, and since armor confers HP instead of defense, there is a huge HP gap between a monk and, say, a Knight or a Dragoon, and by mid-game they start to feel really squishy, and by late-game it's possible to get blown up in a single turn. So early-game they're jack-of-all-trades powerhouses, and by late-game their power falls off sharply as you can either turn them into complete glass-cannons with Two Swords, which allows them to attack twice per turn, or Equip Heavy Armor, and get that huge HP bonus from armor.

FFV was fun but damn too many classes came down to max it out so freelancer can use it's best quality.

In FFT it's actually really fun to give Knights guns and have them smash equipment and debuff from across the entire map. Give them Draw Out and they're ace support units.

There is no non-kike capeshit. Capeshit is all kike. They have no heroic forms because their warrior/kingly (and priestly) castes were wiped out in 170AD. They can only imitate heroism shallowly because their people are exclusively of the vocation of merchants and scribes.

Ironically, the only GOOD capeshit is Jack Kirby's unabashedly Jewish/Kaballic New Gods, which wears its religious and historical bias on its face and is actually able to be apprehended as art because of it.

Depends on the system
In D&D 3.5, monk seem to be an antimage skirmisher. Being less capable in combat than a real combat class, but can take almost anything a mage can throw at him.
In Elona, Martial arts is balanced by the fact that it takes millions of years to grind to the point that it's better than regular weapons. And regular weapons are still better at debuffing.
In Morrowind, unarmed at high skill levels is only good at killing one enemy at a time and is best used when supplimented with spells.

Alright fine rolling.
You all better roll for covenant though, last post number 1-9, 0 means you can pick.

Who does this

rollan

Alright, roll again, this class smells like wet dog.

Get fucked.