I have the itch to play Resident Evil 4, and I don't want to drag the Gamecube out of the closet...

I have the itch to play Resident Evil 4, and I don't want to drag the Gamecube out of the closet. I've been told that the PC port is legendarily awful. What's the definitive way to play this game on the PC? Any good mods? Anyway, Resident Evil 4 thread because this game is legendary and I ahve to replay it a few times a year.

Other urls found in this thread:

re4hd.com/?page_id=1656
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The HD remaster of the PC version is better. Beware 60fps QTEs though, they are murder.

I played through the pc port recently without many issues, sans one bugged unwinnable qte where I had to cap the framerate to 30 to get past it.

Use a controller though.

The PC port with textures mods is actually the best version of the game, just remember that over the shoulder fps games are only good with a controller, with a mouse they are either too easy or completely fucked.

Any specific mods you recommend?

You know hoe many years have it been nigger?
Games been modded to hell and back
FOV fix is a godsend and actually makes you appreciate the top tier art design, textures and atmosphere.

Thats retarded

Played it on professional with M+K, was challenging enough. I fucking hate controllers for shooters, even if it would completely break the game I still wouldn't use a fucking controller for shooting.

PC Port is fine besides for the water looking awful in 60fps.

ARE YOU READY FOR THE HD PROJECT?

I gotta agree with this user, in my experience a controller is the only option for a third person shooter, unlike FPSes, most TPSes were not made with KB+M in mind

Nah, you're fags

PC remaster. Avoid the 2006 PC port by Ubisoft, that's the bad one. Also the QTEs aren't as bad as these casuals are saying:

I beat it for the first time this year, the QTEs were a fucking cakewalk.

Wow, I feel like a newfag for not knowing about this.

When will this meme end.

The old Jewbishit port lacks proper mouse functionality, the cut scenes are all quite low resolution, the general graphical fidelity has not aged well (muddy textures, poor lighting effects, etc), and the in-game button prompts are generic as fuck (i.e. instead of seeing the typical A, B, X, Y buttons that are usually intended for a 360 pad, you see gray buttons labeled as 1 - 4, which can get confusing), but there are some mods out there you can use to remedy these issues. Your experience may vary. Aside from these issues, the game plays well, and there are no outstanding issues.

Honestly, just go with the newer HD release, it's much better.

RE4 is pretty clearly designed with a controller in mind for aiming, this is survival horror, you aren't supposed to be snapping straight onto enemies like in an arena shooter. The Wii version has the same problem with its pointer controls but thankfully you can use a GameCube controller in that one.

Max Payne is an exception not the rule.

No, it isn't. RE4/5/6/Rev/Rev2 are Action Horror.
Don't you fucking tell me what I'm "supposed" to do you stupid fucking shit controls apologist.

For max fun, Wii version with a gun peripheral. Ends up feeling like a 3rd person House of the Dead, even letting you shake the controller to reload.

Temper your aggro. Thumbsticks are technically shit for shooters, but games can be designed around limitations, and RE4 clearly is. If you "fix" the slow and imprecise aiming, the enemies remain just as slow and lumbering. Sadly the people porting it to PC and Wii are as ignorant as you on design.

I actually liked the Wii controls. It made the Shooting Gallery piss easy.

I find it cute that you're attempting to lecture me on game design in a game where knifing enemies in the face and then kicking them while they're staggered is the optimal strategy for ~80% of the game, especially on Professional.

Nah, optimal is blasting a pack away with a shotgun, or throwing grenades. You've got plenty of options at your disposal for crowd control. Besides if I'm staggering enemies I'd rather use the TMP or pistol instead of tediously baiting out attacks.

Far far too easy. Pick TMP, tap a single bullet into every head you see, no rush. Again, if they'd upped the speed to compensate for the aiming it would've been a more reasonable challenge.

Yeah, no. There isn't even remotely enough ammo in Professional to do that, and the fact that you didn't know that already tells me that you never actually beat Professional, so you're just running your cunt mouth about MUH GAME DESIGN and MUH LIMITATIONS when you haven't even played the game at its best.

The limitations aren't the shit controls, the limitations are the fact that in Professional, everything hits like a truck and supplies are extremely limited, so to succeed you either avoid enemies, which limits your already extremely limited supplies as you can't freely loot, or you kill them without expending any resources, which means mastering your spacing and melee killing everything that can be melee killed.

It was a port by Sourcenext, not Ubisoft, first released in Hong Kong. Sourcenext is a Japanese company. Ubisoft was guilty for publishing a really shoddy asian port without any improvement though.

It was painfully linear, the QTE was horrendous, the bosses and even some fights are scripted, and the controls are a disaster (inb4 muh survival horror, tell that to Condemned). The story is utterly ridiculous, and at least the second half of the game was very weak. Really overrated, but has it's charm.

As a crowd control weapon you get plenty to work with. Killing can be deferred to other weapons like the pistol and stagger attacks, or the BAR if they're at a distance.

Correction: The controls ARE a limitation, but obviously not the only one. It does matter though as slower reaction means you can't have enemies outspeeding them too much.

The game actually drops things based on need, notably if you have no healing items enemies have a reasonable chance to drop green herbs, and annoyingly for people who don't want to use a pistol is that if you don't keep at least 2 boxes of pistol ammo, enemies will drop it pretty frequently. In short, you will find that if you're overstocked it runs down pretty quickly, but typically doesn't bottom out unless you're overly wasteful or unlucky.

Not until you can get the Striker and start gaming the upgrade system with the ammo capacity which is way the fuck late-game, and part of that 20% of the game where it's no longer efficient to knife>kick everything as I already mentioned.
Ammo is way too limited to use that on anything other than bosses/minibosses.
No, they really aren't. Play the proper PC port on Professional.
Enemies both move and attack faster on Professional already, making optimal spacing, especially against pitchforks, a must-learn skill.
And in Professional, it replaces most ammo drops with money. How do you not know this? Seriously, you're doing yourself a disservice by not beating it on Professional.

Isn't this vaporware ? It's been going on for so long.

Not vaporware, since it's actively being worked on and you can actually download and use what has been completed.

Here's the progress chart: re4hd.com/?page_id=1656

Hopefully not. The Village and Castle are released, and the dude says he's finished the rest of the game and he's just going back to update everything with what he's learned since he started.

I wish they could figure out a way to update the character models too. Or did they do that already?

For the reasons you mentioned, the Striker is nice, but not mandatory. Where the shotgun excels for me is in fighting Novistadors and Cerberuses, or just to quickly pull out to blast enemies away.

Rifles and magnums are the two I always hold off on upgrading capacity for so I've never had much problem using it against the odd grunt. In fact, if they're coming at me in a line it's brutally efficient to nail several enemies with one shot.

I've played the Wii version and the aiming makes a significant difference.

We're comparing ports, not difficulties. Besides enemies can get pretty fast on normal too due to difficulty scaling.

Probably because I don't play on normal enough to compare the two for drops (the loaded RNG is true for both), and I've not often been that hurting for ammo even on professional? The game expects you to use weapons with care and precision. It does not expect you to autistically pick everything down with a knife like a challenge run. I'll use knife if there's only a couple of baddies.

Huh I didn't know you could knife out lamps.
There's all sorts of easter eggs in this game, like shooting crows or shooting fish in Del Lago's lake before killing it.

Use a controller, otherwise the PC port makes you aim using your keyboard instead of your mouse.

Just throw a flashbang at them, especially if there's a bunch of them.

I'm 90% sure they have, it's just that most of the detail of the game went into those, so it's not as obviously noticable as all the environment going from 256x256 to 1024x1024.

The game doesn't use a mouse though, it treats it like an analog stick instead of a pointer. That's why it's unplayable trash.

lolwut

Give me a chapter and I'll load the closest save and show you what my attache case has.

I have to get one of those,
I've read that it even makes Modern Warfare 3 fun to play

What are you even trying to argue? Do you have brain problems?

I've basically never used the knife. I shoot guys and do the QTE prompts, but never the knife.

Here's 2-2 and 4-1

I have to agree with user, even on Professional you'll soon be swimming in ammo. It got to the point I had to regularly sell it to make space in my inventory.