Fuck you I want a PS2 thread

Im about to start Catchet and Rlank, I was told the remake is shit so Im going for the original one instead

Alright, are you emulating or using a modded PS2?

New one is much better than all the ones that came out on ps3, it's just half finished because the other half of the story is finished in the movie or the other way around. Really weird shit.

Rate my recent purchases

I want to dick Ratchet

Pretty good trust only yourself in The Thing. Your team are all things that will eventually turn on you

The PS2 Ratchet and Clanks are quite good. Probably a good idea to play in release order though, as Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3 have some elements the first lacks, such as latent strafing (in the first game you have to use a function of the jetpack to do so if memory serves). And beyond that, there's save data bonuses in the subsequent games for completing the prior ones.

Not sure what those usually average out there, but that seems pretty cheap, especially if they're in good shape and complete.

It's possibly the cheapest prices for games you can get online.

Unfortunately I'm still not able to find

Which I really want, but I'm fairly sure they're the most expensive ps2 games on the market at the moment so it's not too bad

What. Okay, maybe I'm speaking as a burger here, but the only remotely expensive one of those out here is Yakuza 2, and that one saw a recent reprint that's helped prices somewhat. Granted, the reprint price wasn't quite as good as some (compare to Atlus' SMT and Persona PS2 reprints), but still. As for the rest, I see Katamari and MGS3: Subsistence infrequently, but both are still reasonably priced, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are pretty available and cheap between lowered demand due to the PS3 "HD" collection of them (and if memory serves, Shadow of the Colossus actually runs better there than in its original PS2 version, which might also reduce demand for the PS2 original even further). There's definitely pricier PS2 games out there; even ignoring .hack and .hack//G.U. as the go-to's for expensive PS2 games, Blood Will Tell and Kuon are like $100 and $160 preowned respectively out here. Again though, that's just me speaking about what I've noticed where I live; I know PAL can have baffling vidya prices at times (especially in regards to Australia), but the idea that any of those, aside from Yakuza 2, would be the "most expensive on the market" feels absurd to me.

Of course, there is also the issue that online outlets like Amazon and Ebay have sadly become the standard for pricing on the whole, even for local stores/chains, because no one wants to feel they're missing out on profit to be had from reselling. At least one of my local options screws up every so often, netting me the occasional complete PS2 (Gamecube and DS as well) game for half price or less.

protip: actually getting the RYNO is like setting the game to easy mode
and the final level is still hard with it aside from the final boss whos a pushover with that gun

I consider expensive anything above 10£ tbh, so that's probably it

The whole series is quite good. Just play in release order and skip the last one if you wish.
Just don't be an emunigger. Play them with the hardware developers intended and save yourself from countless glitches and ZSNES-tier emulators.

Was 4 not available or what?

Ah, yeah I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Thankfully I've managed to find most of what I am interested in that is expensive by my standards rather cheaply (or was given them as gifts), and the rest I can set up on my IDE and give them a play that way before deciding if they're worth dropping money on to actually own (and as an example, in .hack IMOQ's case, no, it is most definitely not worth dropping $200+ on).

That level really made me appreciate the manually guided missile launcher (whatever it was called). Hell, even in Going Commando, that's one of the few carry over weapons to still prove its worth throughout, albeit more as a scouting device than the damage it can do.

i really think ratchet and clank 1's new game+ had more challenging enemies WITHOUT letting you have even more max hp than before
it'd be like an actual hard mode, and you'd might also amass enough bolts as you progress through the game to get the RYNO without grinding like a korean

be sure to also get your hands on a copy of both ps2 katamari games, bard's tale, GTA:SA, xenosaga episodes 1-3(or just 1, american version), war of the monsters, and if you don't have it on another non-GBA platform, spongebob: battle for bikini bottom

What's the difference? I mean they're largely the same
Also gt4 costed 3£

GT4 has more cars and more circuits, a lot of them japanese models with slight differences, but you get the Nordscleife and La Sarthe along with other real world circuits
I think that 4 was worth those 2.50£

forgot to add the only thing GT3 has over 4 is more secret notF1 race car models

That's alright, I'm planning to have a mostly complete ps2 library anyways. I'll get it next time

I do hope you're not meaning going for "full set" mode. The PS2's library is so fucking big that doing so would take a lot of space for storage, and then there's the sheer amount of shovelware, licensed shit, annual sports games, etc that may or may not be worth dropping money on. Personally if you ask me, it's fine to want to pick game up where feasible, but only do so far games you're actually interested in playing, and do your best to avoid paying scalper prices.

With "complete library" I mean "complete library of games that are actually worth it"
I've been buying stuff I usually don't play just to give it a shot and I found myself enjoying it, even games that I could never stand when I played them on emulators so it's been pretty successful so far

Oh, well in that case, more power to you. PS2 and Xbox library have certainly fared better than the Gamecube's has on the aftermarket at the very least. Still, if you've got a fat PS2, I'd recommend setting it up to play games with loaders as well, as a means of both trying stuff before you buy it, and being able to play the games you honestly don't feel like dropping money on. Though, I suppose maybe emulation serves a similar purpose for you.

Yeah I looked into that but I don't have a fat. Probably just gonna get a memory card with freemcboot and burn some games myself

No, don't rush it, GT3 is a pretty big game, it'll last a long time before you see most of the content it can offer, and if you like realistic-ish racing games, I recommend you looking for Enthusia, that one actually forces you to git gud without crashing into everything, otherwise you'll have to skip a racing day to recover your points and IMO the car selection for that game is better, also, keep an eye for Tourist Trophy, it's Gran Turismo with bikes.

Do be aware that if you ever want to make another FMcB'ed card, you can't just copy the contents of the first memory card to a second one; it's made in a way where it requires installation via installer to work right. The good news is that by having access to the ability to use uLaunchElf, you can run the installer from USB storage, and I think you might even be able to copy the required files to the memory card itself for storage and use (I forget how mine's set up, so I might be wrong on that part).

They emulate very well on the latest dev build of PCSX2.

where do you anons get your PS2 ISOS?

emuparadise seems like a russian roulette, half the time the cutscenes for the game I just burned get jittery and unwatchable

Deadlocked was good though

This. OP has good timing if he's emulating - there was a large fix merged to the dev build a short while ago that fixed some major texture issues.

The same can be applied to the spyro sequels.

Man, my first gaming addiction as a kid. Think I finished the first game like 14+ times and got enough bolts to buy the RYNO many times over. Same with all of the other games up til the fourth one.

Deadlocked is pretty mediocre because there were no platforming elements left. The weapon customization system and co-op was cool though.

I just began and finished Beyond Good and Evil for the first time yesterday. God i love 2000's platformers

Any other recommendations with the same gameplay? I've already played all R&C, Jak & Daxter, but that's all

I also have a Sly Racoon that I never opened somewhere in my house lol

well fuck my plans on playing ratchet, seems like my PS2 broke

just yesterday it was working fine but now the disc wont spin when you close the lid

goddamit I wish my PC could run the emulator

Gamecube > PS2

gamecube had like 12 games

mod it

That's 12 more than the PS2, pretendo.

even the xbox was better than the gamecube. nintendo has only made bad consoles since the n64.

t. pretendo

If you can tolerate minor texture issues due to alpha emulation issues.
The Vita and PS3 ports are really really good.

TONY HAWK

its a slim model, I dont think you can put a hard drive there like in the fat model

You can still mod a PS2 slim to play burnt DVDs, provided you have a copy of 007 Nightfire.

I usually use emuparadise, and occasionally The ISO Zone and Nicoblog for stuff emuparadise doesn't have (patched games, etc). What means are you aiming to play the game files with? Could possibly have something to do with it.

No arguing against that. Still great trios of games, for both series.

Maybe the motor, or whatever causes it to spin, has gone bad? If you know of a decent game store near you, it might be worth taking it there to see if they can potentially fix it, or at least instruct you on what you'd need. That is kind of the issue with PS2s though; the lasers can be rather prone to going bad, and it wouldn't shock me if the same happens with the motors (I do tend to see complaints about the laser much more frequently). I'm rather glad my PS2 was a refurbished model, and thus should have seen any potential issues rectified prior to being sold again.

If you do have to get another PS2, consider looking into a fat so you can set it up with an IDE and loaders. Then, even if it becomes unable to read discs, you have a backup means.

He's already said its not reading discs. I don't think going from legit discs to burned ones is going to change that, but that's just me.

more complicated, but you can do it. Still, better off just doing network booting.

Only possible with the earlier slims.

Only pussies don't try
I ain't no pussy

if you care at all about the story, you want episode II
I cared about the story myself, though you can just do a single playthrough of the second game while skipping all the side stuff
also you do not have to grind AT ALL to beat episodes I or II(its harder, but very, very doable that way), but you should still kill every enemy you come across anyway unless you're too weak to do it

>>>/bait/

Just to double check, if I were to just download and install Episode II to my IDE, old save bonuses would still carry over between each game properly despite the change is format (physical disc -> installed download -> physical disc), right?

i dont know, i only played I and II on the physical PS2

If you use OPL, it'll depend on whether you use a VMC or an actual MC to save. If you use a VMC you'd have to use the same VMC for both games.

If you meant that towards me, I use a regular memory card for save data, be it for games played in physical format or loader. I just haven't tried to see yet how saves between mixed game formats work as of yet. Also haven't tried to set up a VMC yet either, though considering how big the PS2's library is and how small official cards are (not sure why Sony didn't bother to make larger ones as time went on, other than to try to get more sales of the standard cards), maybe I should. Saves don't take up that much room on their own, after all.

A regular MC should work with both discs and loaders. You can set up a generic VMC to use with all loader games, set up a VMC for each game, or share a VMC with certain games (just by using the same VMC file in the game configuration). VMCs are convenient to use lots of saves with a single game but have the downside of not being able to copy saves between VMCs. I tried with ulaunchelf by mounting the VMC and using the copy commands but the save appeared as corrupt data. Oddly, copying PS1 saves from a PSP to a PS1 memory card worked. I think magicgate prevents easy copying.

I meant more whether there was any difference in how save data is generated/handled between a game played via official disc and one that's played/needs to be played digitally. Would a subsequent game that utilizes prior save data for a bonus/continuity be able to recognize it regardless of how the prior game was played? On that note, if the game data has been tweaked in some way (undub patch, fan-translation/re-transaltion, content restoration, etc), would the save data generated from it be different compared to a legit copy?

The games only see two memory cards which be either real MCs or VMCs. If another game can access the same MCs or VMCs then it can use the save data.
I don't know whether hacked games generate the same save data as non-hacked ones.

Alright as someone who fucking loves the ratchet and clank series, just play the original 3 and deadlocked

This game was mine and by brother's childhood. It got me hooked on open world games and I've been obsessed with them for a decade now.

What are the best settings that I can use?

Not much config required. OpenGL renderer, 8x resolution and 16x anisotropic filtering works for me, make sure you have basic mipmapping enabled. And also enable the EE timing hack under Game Fixes, it's not necessary for 1 but 2 and 3 have a couple instances where the games freeze if it's not enabled.

Been playing R&C since i was 10, the games go in this order of most fun to least fun.

I own every game twice over and my word is law.

Reminder, Fat PS2 with HDD mod is still the best way to play PS2.

Crack in time is fucking awful and your list is too

I can tell you haven't played the 1st one on the original ps2 or even the ps3 release because if you had, you'd know that.

Apart from those things it's a good game.

It's an old game, i love it to bits but i'm not gonna go around nostalgia tripping, i remember very vividly thinking "wow they made a slow motion mode for when combat gets too hairy" when in fact, i just didn't know what lag was.

Ratchet and clank 1 literally introduced me to the concepts of lag and input lag in videogames.

You're one of the reasons Holla Forums is cancer, people who just say random shit they believe is true without backing it up with literally anything

literally

Let's not forget it was Going Commando that made the Ratchet and Clank series what it is. R&C1 is still worth playing but the sequels are so much better.

It was uninspired, boring, added nothing new to the series and the "story" was forgettable.
Liking crack in time is like loving to eat plain toast.

Nothing wrong with it but there's clearly something wrong with you

To be fair I want to point out that these problems aren't exclusive to crack in time but started appearing after 4
Still though

lmao
I was playing just yesterday. Sure, it's not great in some regards, but it's better than a shit ton of the games that were out at the time. It got better, but was far more enjoyable than Deadlocked

Really dude?
Are you even trying

fucking casual

See how the faggot cries out as he bullies you.

Friendly reminder

/watch?v=NG_b1eDB6T8&ab_channel=DerfsonicGaming

I'm losing my touch
Also Onimusha 3 is fucking awesome. Why did people hate it again?

The frog?

Also adding pointless shit to a game doesn't make it good

Out of curiosity, how does Dawn of Dreams compare with Onimusha 1-3?

really nigga?