Can someone help me understand how to play this?

Can someone help me understand how to play this?
I'm right at the start and I can't even seem to be able to beat the ac test thing from the garage. I'm completely aware that I suck but I just don't get it

My rifle fires too slow to hit anything and my missiles are very imprecise despite locking on. And while I'm here shooting at these flying things that I can barely hit they're shooting back constantly and I can barely avoid the projectiles because I'm too slow.

Am I supposed to just hover and use my sword?

user, it seems to me that you suck at making ACs.
You just have to have the enemy in your reticle and fire. That's all there is to it.
May I suggest changing the control scheme in the emulator, if you're using one? Changing the control scheme to be more like the AC4/4A control scheme actually improves the game a lot.

Is this an AC thread?

I haven't made an ac, I'm at the mission where I have to attack the bridge with lava and I'm getting raped every time

Enemy projectiles stunlock me, and there's too many enemies to kill them all in time

Seems to me you suck at the game. You can avoid their projectiles easy peasy, user.
Here's a beginner's tip.move left and right. Try using your thrusters. Before changing into the opposite direction, tap the booster again to "jump".
I would show you myself but I only recently reinstalled windows and lack any emulators or video editing software.

Well yeah of course I suck at the game I just started playing it
I'll try the thrusters

Should I just use my missiles to attack?

From Software has always been a gargage developer who have no fucking clue how to program inputs, or usable mappings

Nah. The rifle should be fine. Use them when necessary but you're early in the game so you should be fine.
You have to remember that AC is a series about speed. While AC2 is nowhere near as fast as AC4/4A, speed is still essential. Get accustomed to using the thrusters at almost any given time.
Another tip: Get a machine gun once you can afford it. You'd be amazed at how good they are.

How do I make it so that my ac doesn't shoot where the enemy was but where its going to be?
Cause the targeting system can't hit shit for me

You're full of shit, user. From soft have made some terrific games, especially on the PS2. I won't deny their sub-par programming though. Particularly games in the seventh gen were often rather shit in terms of performance.
They seem to have gotten better recently. I guess they have new programmers now that they're a bigger studio.

Get a better targeting chip. Also, it takes some time to really lock on. So the first few shots may miss but after that most should hit.

I managed to beat the bridge, but now I'm agains planes that blend in the dark sky and I can't see or hit since they stop right above me

I get why people like this but it controls like fucking shit goddamn

user, are you emulating it? If you are, you can change the controls within the emulator to be perfect. Proper analogue controls.

I can't, I'm playing on ps2

Well then you just have to get used to them. The controls work but they do take some getting used to.

ur fuckt m8 lol

You can try to come up with some control scheme that works but good fucking luck there. You should probably just skip ahead to AC Nexus or Last Raven, which ever one added proper analog controls.

You motherfucker. You should be flogged for spouting such nonsense.

Anyone have any clue about how well AC3 and above emulate? I've only emulated AC2 and Another Age.

Me and another user literally streamed gameplay to help you a year ago because you said you suck at this game, and I remember you mentioning the lava level. Are you back again? Did you not learn to strafe boost with R1 L1 tapping X? Try different weps, you can buy/sell with zero losses. Complete a few arena fights and you can have 500k credits and get what you want.

Actually you can't properly emulate the joysticks on aiming up/down in AC2. You can set joystick up to trigger R2 or L2, but the way looking up and down work do not at all correlate to joystick. Its either ON/OFF with L2 R2, so when you look up/down, the speed of looking up/down increases over time, this was done because tapping R2/L2 is for slight adjusts, and holding it down is like scrolling. Stick to the default setup.

To have your AC FULLY lock on, you have to have the enemy locked on for about 3 seconds. It will shoot ahead where the enemy will be.

Any way to shoot missiles without a lock on? I'm out of ammo and need to destroy a core or something

Buy a Bazooka for early game iirc

Get into outrageous debt a few times, as everytime you get an upgrade.

I had removed it by mistake

0/10
Shit niggers. Keep giving this fucker bad advice. I'm frothing at the fucking mouth here.

First up.
Decide how you want to fucking play.
Short range , Long Range, or Medium Range.

Second,
PICK AN FCS THAT FITS
Sniping FCS have a small targeting box, but longer range.
Short Range FCS have a FUCK HUGE box but short range.
Medium Range, are well.. Medium.

Missile Launchers.
The Micro Missile is your friend.
The Cross Micros are your BFFs.
The Medium Missile is ..Medium
The Vertical Missile is great vs ACs.
The Large Missile.. Well.. If you're feeling lucky, once you get good, you can fire a missile, kill your target AC and blow yourself up with the blast.

Until you get good, equip a fucking radar and a head with decent computation speed.

SOLID or ENERGY.
Solid does more damage over all and ramps up quickly with some machinegun combinations, also the 2nd Rifle will never let you down.

Energy reduces your spending costs to zero, but you need to be accurate.

Don't bother blading until you get a decent generator. A miss-timed blade early game will leave you open to get MT raped.

If you're absolutely shit, go full Tank.
Equip the MiniRockets and spam the shit out of them.

If you're still shit, go into negative 8 times' you'll unlock HUMAN PLUS enhancements that will allow you to make the game your bitch. But true Ravens don't need that shit.
You're a true Raven, right son?

This is incredibly helpful, thanks user

Die and get activate human plus.

I only played through AC3~LR sub set of games.
Is there any point in going back and playing AC1 and AC2?

Yes, because they're the only good Armored Core games.

You jest.

Skip that mission, with a bad AC you shouldn't even bother. This is the one where enemies fire on you immediately as soon as the cutscene is over right?

It's cool I beat it

You're full of shit, user. It works way better with the right stick, in spite of the scrolling.

Sound advice but frankly far too much for a beginner. Where's the fun in having all of this spoiled? Don't people like experimenting with different ACs and slowly but surely understanding the game along with getting better at it?

Very cool user. I hope you're enjoying it. Armored Core is one of my favorite game franchises and the more people appreciate it, the happier I am.

I really need more Armored Core OC

Ok, make a video showcasing your gameplay of AC2 with this setup. I have tried it, and the negative-feedback you get by using joysticks is retarded.
Wanna look down slow?

AC3+ works with joystick BECAUSE it was programmed for joysticks. Slight down tilt sets a fixed slow speed. AC2 won't do this.
Also read my thoughts of redesigning AC on the mech thread.