Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Long story short, someone bought me a copy of the game a couple years back, and I finally decided to take a crack at it last night.
The graphics look lazy, the game is against you if you want to make a pacifist run, the level of thought put behind the conversations feels a bit lazy, the NPCs are oblivious to when you're around, and why isn't there an option to say that the reason why you ended up letting the guy is because the other two options would have resulted in him killing the woman instead of SWAT doing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/XBebO
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No shit, this is true of all games that include a "pacifist" option. The difficulty is supposed to be a juxtaposition to how easy it would be to just massacre every obstacle in your path.

Don't waste your Praxis on most of the hacking augs. Just go with stealth hacking if you plan on going hacker.

Almost makes me feel like those soccer moms who say that video games cause violence are onto something.

Does it actually effect the outcome of the game's plot? And, if not, then what's the point of having a no-kill option? Also, I wouldn't mind as much, but the game was throwing stun gun ammo all my way while I could barely find anything for the tranq gun.

Not really, in the non director's cut version you literally can't beat the bosses by using non-lethal weapons.

Which means that if you're doing a non-lethal run and have no weapons you're completely fucked once you get to the bosses.
This was apparently fixed, but the base game is a huge fucking mess.

Although the only reason the original Dues Ex is better than this is because it has an actually good story, gameplay wise they're both pretty poor.

That's a good one.Just like the original Deus Ex, only the actions you take in the final area decide your ending HR is worse in this regard because you just press a fucking button for your ending, at least the original had you do different actions

DXHR is a very mediocre game that's got DX slapped onto it for some reason.
Gameplay is trash and the setting don't make sense.

You can stunlock the first boss using the taser and you can knock out the third boss using a glitch but it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect anything. Not even rewards.

oh and
All boss arenas provide you with the tools required to kill the boss. You don't need any other weapon but using the typhoon augmentation kills all bosses in 10 seconds.

It appears that the graphics are worse in the DX as well (Pics are from the PC version).
imgur.com/a/XBebO

If you aren't trained to use those weapons or haven't collected ammo for them you're still gonna have an impossibly hard time.

I mean shit, if you're not used to taking massive amounts of damage you're most likely gonna get absolutely fucked in every boss battle

This isn't deus ex 1. You don't need to wait 15 seconds to aim a weapon. Have you actually played the game now?

No shit.

Have you played the game?

None of those upgrades are necessary for shooting. Especially when we're talking about a grenade launcher or a laser gun.

So you haven't actually played the game and are just spouting memes now?

Nigger are you kidding me
There's a boss that electrifies the floor and disappears. It's nearly impossible if you don't have a giant arsenal already on you or are jampacked with combat upgrades.

You can barely fucking run around the arena because of hazards and the boss itself.

If you don't have ammo to spare then you do need those upgrades.

I get playing devil's advocate but this is too much.

so basically a deus ex game, why all the protection over just a name?

is his skin literally basketball?

this isn't something awful, post counts don't matter

She doesn't electrify the floor, that actually damages her.
Literally jump and shoot. Don't tell me you need the game to tell you that you need to jump to avoid the floor.
Unless you have cerebral palsy you don't. ADS eliminates aiming penalties and recoil management is something that every basic shooter has.
How about you actually come up with reasons that make sense instead of just spouting memes and getting mad when someone challenges your stupidity?
Considering the same designers shat out Mankind Divided, thats an argument for the boss battles, not against them.

The bosses are exempt from the kill counter. You're supposed to kill them even in a pacifist play through.

The intro sequence is not exempt, so if you didn't ghost that, you're not getting the achievement.

It's pretty simple though even in the non directors cut - just carry a single good lethal weapon, machine pistol or assault rifle, and save it for boss fights only. Collect all the ammo you can and they become piss-easy. Last boss, drop your lethal weapon and get the grenade launcher from the Triad guy, you'll kill him in a few shots. Unlike DXMD, there's no excuse for not having enough inventory space.

It affects some dialogue, but not the admittedly terrible ending.

you aren't going to get an answer, you're going against the accepted narrative. He can't explain shit about why the boss battles are so awful. The original Deus Ex didn't really do them any better, combat in HR is at least passable but the original is just awful.

Yours do.

i'm pretty sure they made it so that you don't even have to kill the bosses if you're doing pacifist in the definitive edition or whatever that goty version was called

The adults are talking, if you can't defend why the name matters for deus ex, you need to stop talking my child.

last I heard they shoe-horned in some mediocre alternatives.

*tip*

Yeah, okay.
You know some times admitting to be wrong is fine, you don't have to defend your point do death even when you have absolutely nothing to say.

Making up excuses for single situations doesn't make the boss battles any better, if anything it makes you seem desperate do find an excuse to get out of explaining why they're bad.

If you're doing a pacifist run you will neither have ammo, guns, or augs to help you in combat. Does not having this makes the boss battles impossible? Of course not. But does it make them unfair and takes out any enjoyment? Fucking yes.

The point here isn't being able to beat them or not, the point is that they go completely against the flow of the game and force you to try over and over until you manage to cheese them in some situations. Just because if you try them enough times and manage to somehow actually rack up enough damage with the trash weapons the game throws at you during these boss fights isn't enough to say "well I guess they're great and putting them in wasn't a complete mistake".

too afraid to talk about it, very typical deus ex fan.

You do, you just have stealth oriented options for doing it. Arenas are complex and you can sneak around, hack things, etc. First boss, you can hack turrets and throw them into the arena, or just take sneaky potshots. Second, I think you can flood the area with gas. Third, you can get a laser rifle via hacking, and drop the boss from anywhere in the area. There are probably other ways, but I haven't played the director's cut in a year or two.

yeah something like that. it's too bad they somehow managed to break the game with the director's cut so all the additional gameplay options and "bug fixes" are essentially useless.

Alright, you guys inspired me to return to the game and finish it on a psycho run (No one shall be safe from me). See how much better the game get's once I do that. Also, if a game does give you the option to kill or knock-out an opponent, there should be more of an effect on the game's story than "muh feels" at the end of a level that is never brought up ever again. But, then again, if they really did have the game's story branch off after ever non-avoidable decision, who knows how large the game would be? But, that also brings up the question of why even have the option when it doesn't affect anything anyway? I remember a couple anons pointing that part of the fun in pacifist runs in some titles is to distort the game's mechanics in a manner they are not intended for. If the game gives you the option to be a pacifist, but it doesn't actually effect the overall game, then what's the point of it aside from bragging rights?

jesus fucking christ

The guns and ammo are literally given to you in the boss arena. Repeating your refuted claims isn't going to make them any truer.
Lets take your retarded claim at face value despite being completely false.
You somehow managed to beat the first boss without having any weapons but you had a lot of trouble so would you not prepare for the second boss battle? Are you that brain dead to not learn to adapt? You sound like a typical modern brain dead retard. Even the first Deus Ex game had mandatory boss battles.

ah, that actually sounds better than i imagined. never got to actually trying director's cut due to all the bad press (poor performance, bad graphics changes, shitty options menu, new bugs etc.) and because i've already finished the game by then.

That is what pacifist runs have been for decades in other games.
It balances itself out because pacifist route is usually time consuming and you won't get to use most of the tools available to you but ends up being more rewarding in one way or another.

the good parts of deus ex 3 came off as accidents to me. I was unconvinced that the development team consciously understood the design they were pulling off in the first part of the game in Detroit I think its evident once you saw how unimpressive shanghai was, and once you see how the last third of the game absolutely falls apart and actually included a poorly done DLC jump cut. I felt I was proven right about Eidos Montreal's incompetence once Thief 4 came out, and I felt like I was the only person that wasn't surprised at how bad it was.

No surprise too that mankind divided rectified none of the flaws. Just a studio that wasn't competent enough and lacked decent directorial vision.

I replayed it recently too, it hasn't aged well. I thought it was pretty okay when it came out but it feels like cardboard. The graphics were definitely downgraded for consoles. Dialogue and conversations are sometimes embarrassingly bad. And, the ending is just fucking abysmal.

I just completed a Pacifist run on the hardest difficulty. The bosses were easy. Yeah, it helps to have a spare pistol or revolver the entire game so you can slap upgrades on it for the bosses and sometimes take out cameras. But you don't need the recoil or aim augs for a 1v1 boss fight that you are 10 feet away from. Plus like the other guy says they give a ton of shit to fight with.

She is piss easy if you use EMP mines or nades. Just throw a mine on a choke point and she runs right into it. You kill her easy. Now, the boss battles are shit but it's because it threw a fork into the style of the game and you fight stupid people you don't care about, not because they are hard. If you suck at them that is your problem.

But it's okay, just reply with another sweet image macro and say that everyone who disagrees with you is doing some sort of logical fallacy.

The challenge of doing it

Okay so lemme get this straight, what you're trying to tell me is that the boss battles in Human Revolution are exceptionally good, and they were absolutely vital to the rest of the game.

These have absolutely no problems in the way they're implemented and the designers were actually wrong when they implemented more ways to defeat the bosses.

Is this what you think? Because if it isn't then you're just arguing about nothing for the sake of arguing.

He's saying you suck at the game you eunuch.

Again, no reason to have a stash of emp mines or grenades at any point in the game. Unless you know that particular boss is gonna come up you will not know to prepare yourself.

Quality posts.
How does it feel being contrarian on something that is so widely accepted a second version of the game was released to fix it?

Must be really sweet, you sure are cool user

the original gave you gas, emp, scramble, and LAM grenades several times in almost every map, especially in the last half of the game. The original did an even worse job of protecting pacifist players. Not the games fault you're woefully unprepared for a game play style that was never condoned in the game as an option. Maybe you should get good and start preparing for things that are out of your control.

Let me guess though, you don't do anything in deus ex without quicksaving first.

yeah, deus ex has pretty weak gameplay and it's terribly balanced too. Just because you can do a lot of things, doesn't mean any of the things you can do is well implemented.

See you're implying that I think the original is perfect, which I have never mentioned.
It's not nearly as bad as Human Revolution but it's still incredibly flawed and engine/ai wise almost completely broken.

If your excuse for the boss battles being this bad is just
Then I have some bad news for you, that doesn't mean they're good.

I don't even know what you're trying to argue, unless you want to openly state that the boss battles in HR are exceptional then this whole discussion is completely worthless.

No, you're being told how it is easily possible to beat them in a pacifist run. Although you still have to kill them, you are given the necessary tools for doing so. But instead of accepting that as fact, you are constantly twisting people's words so that you could continue being outraged. I agree that the boss battles were garbage but holy shit are you retarded.

Also it wasn't purely pacifist either, since you still had to kill Navarre in order to progress.

gunther too.

learn to prepare for things out of your control, quicksaver. even in the first deus ex and HR things like grenades/LAMs were useful outside of boss scenarios. Distractions, destruction, and of course, killing enemies. Time to stop being such a shitty player and get good. EMP especially against robots which are everywhere in HR.

For Gunther you can knock him out after saying his killphrase, causing him to not explode.

Then why would you take a gun? I didn't expect there to be a boss fight! Oh shit! There are a number of ways to beat her. You know the hazards you were complaining about? Literally the same effect on her as an EMP nade. You can take the augment that prevents you from taking damage from EMP to protect you from such a hazard. But then you'd probably say "but how was I supposed to know?" user, this is what video games are about. You evaluate the situation and adapt. Especially in a game like this, you are not going to have a catch-all solution to every encounter. There are a half dozen ways to beat the bosses every time, but you sound like you were playing the game like a child trying to stick a square peg in a circular hole. If you are playing pacifist, you very likely would have a few EMP nades at that point because they are good to kill cameras, turrets, and robots with. The point is, the game made sure you were equipped to deal with the bosses every time. There were probably a number of grenades in the room or in the area leading up to the point. If you can't beat her that's your own fault. But you can't admit that.

I explained why the boss battles were bad. You've done nothing other than admit you suck at the game.

no you can't, he's invulnerable to being KOed.

source: I tried this last time I played it. Prove me wrong with evidence.

not saying that any of the DX games were absolute 10/10 perfect AAAAAA+++ gems that has absofuckinglutely nothing wrong with them evar, because holy fuck game designers are human and they make mistakes just like you and me, but… jesus fucking christ on a popsicle stick, user, what twisted-ass idea of balance do YOU have?

So I'm right and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing
Thanks I guess?

I feel like you're just looking at this as someone that has knowledge of everything both games are gonna throw at you.

The whole point of deus ex is that you should have a variety of different ways to approach a situation, that's what made the first game interesting. If you look hard enough you can bypass anything the game throws at you no matter what skills you have.

The boss battles in HR completely shit on this. That's it, there's no arguing that, they're bad and they don't fit in a DX game. Them being easy or hard to beat is completely subjective and has nothing to do with the fact that they just suck.

It is a brief period after saying his killphrase where you can in fact knock him out. If you don't say his killphrase then obviously you won't be able to do it. Although the game assumes he is dead, he is technically unconscious.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you managed to prove yourself a shill.

You want me to disprove to you that emp and lam grenades are useful?
Why? They are.

The point is that you're not forced to use them, you never need them to progress. In fact I'm fairly sure the game can be beaten without them.

But thanks for completely ignoring my post because I didn't address a point that was unrelated.

I think you may be retarded

The only thing I am trying to tell you is that you are trash at video games

I shouldn't be surprised contrarians are the worst shitposters but I can't help it somehow

your ilk is the cancer that kills boards.

Saying your opinion twice doesn't turn it into a fact

Oh no you misunderstood, you're shitposting because the quality of your posts is awful and you started an argument with me despite knowing fully well that the bosses were garbage and now you're trying to get out of it by just repeating that I suck.
You really can't get more shitpost than that

All you're doing is saying "but you're wrong because the boss battles suck!" The quality of the boss battles is not what the argument was about. The argument was how inept you are at playing the game. Like you said here-

You have been provided evidence that the game did in fact give you an effective variety of different ways and tools to bypass what was thrown at you, even if you were playing pacifist and had no weapons. You were told a few hot tips but you just brushed them off saying you had no reason to expect to use those tactics. Why doesn't that count? And now everyone who disagrees with you is a shitposting contrarian. It's okay to be bad at video games. The first step is to admit it.

It mildly affects some dialogue including the ending monologue.

You can ignore gunther if you want, or cripple his gun hand to get him to fuck off. Navarre is toast though, unless you can goad her into opening the door. Gunther still acts like you killed her later on though.

deus ex body part damage only applies to the player, and you can't ignore him or else the hologram will never activate and because you never interact with it jock will never spawn. Please don't make up things about this game

you don't get that until late game and even before that a sneak attack from a prod disables almost every enemy.
I am surprised you have problems with the sword and not something like LAMs or Gas grenades.

Enemies do have locational hitboxes unless you mean disabling limbs completely.

You're a moron.

The game giving you a few weapons and forcing you to kill the boss isn't even close to being the same as beating them with non-lethal moves or hacking like it was later changed to.

It's just the game realizing that it fucked up, didn't do any planning whatsoever and forced the player to go against a boss battle that has no place being there, and trying to fix it by giving the player a few weapons.

The boss battles are still shit, and you're still forced to play the game as an action fps when the rest of it is a stealth rpg.

you get the dragon's tooth halfway, and the point was you can't disable someones hands.

the only boss in Deus Ex: The conspiracy that can be skipped is Walton Simons and the game acknowledges this. Simons can survive the ending as well if you just run away again which is funny because I'd assume he'd take over from where Bob Page left off.. Why the fuck couldn't we get that sequel ffs.

tbh the original Deus Ex was a fluke. Warren Spector and his team at Ion storm were hacks who got lucky. No sequel of that game is going to be even close to the original.

the walton simons skip is pretty boring really, just running away is incredibly boring.

yeah, spector and the ion storm teams are notably incompetent.

He is a basketball-american, don't be racist.

Blame consoles

I killed the last boss with my augs shoot down with one of the assault rifle standing there.

Get good.

If you like stealth you probably have the electrical aug, making this boss really easier to deal with.

Otherwise, just loot the mines on your way and you are set. It take 5 land mines to kill that boss and she run everywhere all the time.

I finished the entire game on hard without taking any damage. It's not even hard, just use cover and don't fool around.

The first boss is so easy you just have to run to the vent and wait here, he kill himself with the grenades. How how is that?

The last boss you can just do a takedown on when he's jumping over a wall.

I wasn't even aware that the directors cut had bad press. Textures are better, piss filter is toned down, and you regen two energy bars on the lower difficulties. I never noticed any bugs at all.

Not in the director's edition

Te director's edition give you ways to get the bosses killed by something else, like the gas leak in the upper room of the 2nd boss.

Bought it during the sale, played for about 90 minutes and refunded. It controls like ass and feels like a cinematic experience to me.

I assume you're referring to the bossfights, which is somewhat unfair since the original Deus Ex wasn't intended to be completable without killing at least Gunther, Navarre and possibly Walton Simons as well. It's only by using exploits that it is possible to beat the game without killing anyone.

Bossfights aside, the level design and mechanics are actually heavily biased towards stealth over combat. The majority of the augmentations are stealth-related, stealth is always the default position (the game never actually starts you off at any point in the 'hostile' state), and the game frequently encourages you, either implicitly or explicitly, to be non-lethal.

Lets also not forget that non-hacker pacificsts are boned against Navarre unless they do the tranq dart exploit.

While we're on this series, what does the Illuminati even gain out of having the HRA passed in the sequel? Wouldn't it make sense that they would want even MORE people to be augmented considering the scandal with Tai-Yong Medical and their insanity inducing biochip?

How do they explain away Adam not going insane if he does get the upgrade in HR?

You can choose not to get it implanted, and if you do, Megan gives you the antidote before its activated

So, I'm a bit further into the game (Shanghai), and, I have to ask, is the game this easy, or is it that broken? I'm playing on the "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty, but it feels like a walk in the park. After the first level, it seems that all the difficult elements I complained about in the OP were taken down a notch down. Also, to add insult to injury, I'm playing the Wii U version of the game and it feels like I'm playing a less sophisticated version of ZombiU (Just with all the horror replaced with a sudo-RPG and tacked-on cover-shooter gameplay).

Because otherwise you'd be playing Dishonored, game of cool swordplay that you can't even use.
They even added a DMoMM kick in the sequel, it's fucking lethal on unaware enemies. Goddamn teases.

This though.

Meme? user, everyone who played the game before the spoiler reveal that bosses are not pacifist capable in the original release means nobody brought a fucking laser to the gun fight because they weren't expecting it at all.

I thought they wanted less augs because "muh human controlled evolution" and they'd be the only ones with them.

The augs already have a natural bottleneck with it's pricing and need for special treatment dugs. That whole spiel is just because the bad writing put the devs in a corner.

Not really, all technology becomes cheaper as time goes on, and if Megan's research about Adam ever got published then neuropozyne goes out the window.

Speaking of Megan, if you explore the two games and read some of the emails shit hurts, the way she flirts with both Page and Namir must've thrown a wrench in Jensen's system

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense why the Illuminati would want to wait millenia's for their diligent control over humanity to pay off, when they could just augment people and get it over with. The Neuropozyme fix doesn't really answer a whole lot, it just gets rid of augment rejection.

lol

inb4 you imply you can stealth in this shit without using sticky cover

You can :/

I just turn on invis and silent steps and sprint through the entire level, like how much do you guys suck at vidya?