What the fuck happened to Valve?

What the fuck happened in 2012?
Antonov said they stopped making AAA games and he took off.

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.businessinsider.com/yanis-varoufakis-valve-game-economy-greek-finance-2015-2
steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Judaism happened.

Why do you make threads you already know the answer to? Are you that bored?

uk.businessinsider.com/yanis-varoufakis-valve-game-economy-greek-finance-2015-2

This guy happend to Valve, he was recruted the same year they went to shit, nobody really know's exactly what he did but alot of people say hes responsible for the community market wich was launched the same year he got recruted. So lets say that if Valve stop making games and just making money for selling hats/skins/items to kids its mostly because of him. After Valve he became the minister of economy in Greece, and we all know whats the state of Greece right now, so imagine.

The question is, was Gaybin a gigakike from the beginning, or did money corrupt him?

Varoufakis was a EU tool, pretty much ripped apart Greece and sold most of their shit to foreigners like Germans.
They were so near to sell the Parthenon

Dota 2, easy money. Why spends millions making proper games when you can have the community make hats that you can sell (and take 75% of the profits)?

Valve went from being a game company to a distribution company with the use of Steam. By charging full-price for digital distribution with little to no overhead in comparison to physical media publishers, Valve could just rake in the cash. Add that in with the all the microtransactions and DLC shit they pull on their titles in TF2, CS:GO etc, they make a whole lot of money.

And having all that money just hurts their incentive to make something good. Why do anything at all when you just collect cash hand over fist with hardly any effort anymore?

He invented the hats business.

Varoufakis is a giga-kike, just like the italian dude they put in in Italy as the prime minister.

Nothing fucking happened you stupid piece of shit. They were always a company out to make money. Blame people like yourself who sucked their dicks and thought they were your friends.

all of the above, plus a flat management structure where you work on whatever you want. i imagine the only way you could get fired at modern valve would be to hurt someone's feelings.
in other words, they're organized like any project anons might do, but they can't even resort to bullying to get people to stop being faggots and produce something.

no shit, but they used to have to make video games in order to sell them, which meant they had to be able to get work done. now they just sit next to the money spigot rubbing their hands.

Valve has no reason to make vidya, fuck at this point making vidya could hurt their profits

They started focusing on CS:GO and DOTA2, also built some hardware with their strange controller and the Vive as well as started working on the Source 2 engine.

It's not like they're just sitting around, doing nothing.

They have a lot of spending money, they can afford to work on many projects that never get revealed to the public for being failures, what matters is making that one thing that is really profitable. This is what happened with DOTA2, some nignog in there had the idea to get Icefrog and start millking Dota, so a proof of concept of RTS view and controls were made in Source and it was kickstarted from that. They have said that at first people were skeptical of doing it and doing it in Source, but then more and more they started to see how good of a project it was and started working on it. And they were right on the money, I bet TI profits rival Summer Sale profits.

The Vive was HTC not Valve

It was a joint project.

It worked out for both of them. HTC gets publicity and Valve gets the highest quality VR set there is.

Since when do they have access to Government technology

I miss old nice happy looking 2008 era Gabe. The one that looked like Santa Clauses cousin.

It's weird how as time goes on and Gabe looks less friendly and more like a hobo, Valve gets worse and worse. Maybe his soul is tied directly to Valve and as Valve becomes corrupt, so does Gabe's heart.

I'm just glad that people hate Valve these days because I always hated it because of Steam. Fucking DRM bullshit. Xfire was better yet it's dead now because of steamfags and muh CS 1.6

Why make games?

Steam shill, sage and hide thread.

JESUS

They achieved what no other games company could and still went with the evil option.

Evil=Money goyim

This post made my day

Reported.
>I was just
REPORTED.

Valve simply headed into the direction they were also going to.

They decided to enter the digital distribution market, looked at what mistakes others made and simply tried to not do that.
Sales with actual discounts befitting of digital distribution. Some degree of quality control. A platform that actually offers features, rather than purely being DRM. Plenty of other things.

Valve obtained pretty much the entire digital distribution market in one swoop.

But when you own the digital distribution market, where do you go from there? How do you improve your service?
And that's the turning point where it started to dip into cancer. At this point, its very easy to look at money spent on Steam and time spent in games as statistics indicating quality.
When your goal is to increase the amount of time players spend on games and doing stuff on your platform, then producing free to play games is the way to go. Design games to be addictive, rather than be of quality and have a proper closing. The player's time isn't valuable, you want all of it.
When your goal is to increase the amount of money players spend on Steam, then of course Valve is going to explore every business model and see what works. Virtual hats sold for ten dollars a piece in the store, crates with randomized loot, ultra rare items that exists solely for the purpose of being ultra rare. The trading system slowly being abolished in favor of trying to milk even more money out of whales. Fuck it, lets try and sell mods whilst we're at it.

Valve grabbed the digital market; and then proceeded to chase after the same statistics mobile games did. It is no different from mobile gaming these days.
The only reason why the PC gaming market isn't completely flooded with trash is because the costs to produce a PC game are significantly higher and people are slightly more resistant to micro-transactions. And even then, the amount of trash on the Steam store is immense.

One only needs to look at Gabe's Wealth to see that this cancer ain't going to stop

Valve is a nutshell of the industry and how it is pure, utter shit.

More like a hebe.

Yep, at the end of the day you can thanks normalfags for spending hundreds on textures and useless badges.

That's what annoys me the most about digital distribution. Even more than DRM, data mining, and DLC. Digital should be 70% cheaper than physical retail. Instead, the publishers just make 70% more profit.

At this rate I think Half-Life 3 will be a mod that they buy the rights to.

Ah shit, it's spelled "Xen" isn't it? That's what happens when you wait this long.

Forgetting to shave, greying hair, and lack of hygene, differing habits and how a person holds his face, all signs of mental illness.

a bunch of casuals kept buying crate keys and hats and valve realized they don't need to do real work anymore. the same casuals buy 30 games every steam sale even if they don't play them giving steam more easy money. over at valve you could spend time and money making half life 3 and maybe have it backfire because your idiot fans set their dreams too high for it to actually be achieved, or you could just make more hats and stickers which makes consistent money

We will never rest until Valve gets burned to the fucking ground along with every other indie and Triple A publisher or developer team. We will rebuild the fucking industry from scratch and Valve must be the first to get hit

why not go after blizzard first?

But Stimpy never went through with it.

There never actually was a Ren, there are tiny rens inside us and we have to make it happen

Mental illness doesn't actually exist, the whole of psychology is a money making scheme ran by Them.

Incorrect, Valve designed the Vive, HTC just mass-produced it. Because they were the only hardware manufacturer willing to invest in an unproven market, HTC were in a position to slap their own name on it. Valve owns the related IP and is in the process of licensing Lighthouse and SteamVR to other hardware manufacturers.

Of course, this didn't stop the greedy kikes at HTC trying to claim ownership of the technology, but they really don't have any legal standing or patents to block their oncoming competition.

kek

Actually on consoles digital is MORE expensive.

And people are still shilling for it. It's more convenient! I live 500 meters away from a game store. I can still walk.

Gabe has turned to the dark side.

We are Ren…

What exactly is wrong with Steam?
I buy game. I download game. I play game.
If I want to play the game on some other PC system all I have to do is remember my login info for steam and I can download the game there.
No limit on downloads/installs. Shit, they even cloud your saves if you want so you don't even lose your progress.
Never has given me shit for modding my games.
Never has asked me to re-buy or asked for any fee.

So what's the problem?

If its the early access shit then just don't fucking BUY those things. They're CLEARLY FUCKING LABELED! In fact, it warns you when you try to purchase those that "HEY THIS IS EARLY ACCESS! ARE YOU SURE!?"

He looks depressed. Compare 2008 to 2014, the entire region around his eyes has sunken considerably, a sign he doesn't smile nearly as much as he used to.

Reminder if you buy games on Steam you are supporting DRM and are a fucking idiot.

Nice timing.

It requires you to use it to play games purchased through it. It's DRM. You know what's better than that? Not having DRM at all.

Not to mention many games on there are not consistently updated so they don't have the most recent patches applied.

Your taste in Tenchi girls is complete shit, no surprise there though.

good fucking lord

We run windows 98 and Windows XP here.

Ok, you're not going to live in a DRM free world. Just isn't happening. Shit…just look at them putting DRM with HTLM5. So I would prefer a system that allows me to play games that I buy on any and all machines I want rather than some system that limits the amount of installs (remember Spore?) or other stupid shit like that.

Uhm…what? First of all, I would like some evidence of this. Second of all that seems like a developer issue than a steam/valve issue.

And lastly…
Aeka is best girl.
Ryoko is a dried up mummy whore.
Washu has a fetish for being a loli
Sasami IS a loli
Mihoshi is a dumb bimbo.
Kiyone is too absorbed in her career.

Take a look in your steamapps folder and see how many run out of their folders completely independent of Steam, you'll be surprised. If it's distributed with Steamworks then the fix is as braindead simple as dropping a cracked steam.dll into its folder and suddenly problem solved. Sure, it's DRM in and of itself for numerous titles, but let's not pretend everything signs on with Steamworks or you absolutely 100% need Steam to play most games. The bit about not being consistently updated is a situation I've never once heard of, what did you have in mind where Steam was actually behind in terms of updates?

Stop

What exactly is he playing dumb about?

Then I will die fighting it. Fuck you and your defeatist attitude.

The first 2 Fallout games off the top of my head, but theres a metric ton of games like that.

Aeka leaks cum with every step. Your waifu a shit.

Die.

He doesn't know. He's just repeating some bullshit he once heard to be one of the "cool kids" on this board.

the first 2 fallout games? Fallout 1 and 2? By the time those hit steam I would assume all development on them would have stopped and updates only pertain to being able to get them to play on modern computers.

I'm getting tired of this meme.

You lost that battle before you were even born.

The logical conclusion.

Compelling argument, my good faggot, maybe refute at a higher level than a preschooler if you want to wax poetic about DRM and Steam. Not wanting DRM period is all well and good but don't spout shit about Steam that's not actually true in your crusade, especially when even hardcore Steamdrones know that Steamworks/Steam itself is the easiest DRM to get around on the face of the planet.

I dunno if I'd call that playing dumb, per say, but parroting something you've just heard before is definitely bully-worthy.

Their games weren't good anyway.

Next they claim that race isn't real. Oh wait.

Consider the fact that common behaviour for children has now become a mental illness known as ADHD, can you trust psychology? Can you trust a field of "medicine" that rather than healing, merely states that the patient is wounded? A ring of quackery profiting off of snake oil cures for issues that don't exist? A cabal of crypto-predators driving the young into long periods of depression and self-loathing, eventually culminating in suicide? The same wretches who can be convinced by protesting mobs to say what is and what isn't mentally ill? The same filth that considers the sexual perversion and vile scripture of Freud to be factual?

Doesnt mean there isnt such a thing as mental illness

wew

How is what is and isn't a mental illness decided? In a lab? Or do people just sit around picking and choosing?

continue.

If there was such a thing, then why is it that the field of Psychology has never had an interest in developing permanent cures for these illnesses? Aside from locking solitary people up in asylums and electrocuting them or lobotomizing them, Psychology has never proposed a true solution for a single mental illness. If these things are really harmful to not only the ill but also those who surround them, then surely these so-called doctors would try and put an end to the illness, same as a surgeon would with a torn meniscus for example.

I think he's good intention but has fucked up perception and solutions. He's rather on the left side of things. Wew, that kind of a pattern. He also has signs of far-left mental illness in that he believes the biggest problem is racism. So of course he labels those on the right as evil as a result. It's always like this, people see those on the left as incompetent but good intentioned and those on the right as evil, of course they will vote for the incompetent but not evil but what if the "evil" person was not evil but preferential, is a mother bear evil because she kills you to feed her cub? She prefers her cub, if she were incompetent you could live but her lineage would die. It will never be an argument with these people, it will always be "you're Hitler".

A mental illness is something that worsen your life, the term is only confusing because it is used liberally like I did previously in this post and also abstained in used in clear cases such as homosexuality, a condition that makes you attracted sexually to an incompatible sex, a less confusing term would be mental disorder, as in it's not in order to not have the instincts that lead to reproduction. Gay men also have 20 years less in life expectancy. Would you wish anyone to be gay? I would not wish any harm where it can be avoided so I would not. No research is even done in the field because it's not considered an illness even if it meets the criteria.

No modern psychologist will consider Freud as fact. If they do, they are 100% quacks.

They tried to create a portal into the anime realm called the weebway. Unfortunately it backfired and now they have to do constant battle with the daemonic incursions in their office. The billions they make off of Steamsales only goes to help fund their arsenal which leaves very little left for game development. It is said if you walk past their office it sounds like a giant battle is constantly raging inside.

Because it gets abused so much doesnt mean the actual thing doesnt exist, take it to Holla Forums because im not derailing this thread any further.

There are psychologists looking beyond chemical-centric cures for "mental illness" though.

He got microchipped or body snatched or some shit.
Everybody who becomes a successful public figure eventually has a moment when they suddenly swing sharply from being a reasonable decent person to a psychotic jew or sjw. I don't know what the mechanism is that does this, but it's pervasive as fuck and honestly terrifying.

Exposure to power reduces empathy, it was probably useful for tribe leaders of our grassy plain dwelling ancestors. The only reason why he's not absolutely corrupted is that he doesn't have absolute power yet.

Yeah, but they aren't making Half Life 3, so they may as well be doing nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Won't somebody please check this man's quads?!?

Just because modern psychiatry is full of quacks doesn't mean there aren't legitimate mental illnesses like schizophrenia or bipolar syndrome. ADHD is for the most part a goddamn scam designed to take money out of parents who don't want to take care of their children and would rather pay more attention to their petty careers.

Therapy can only do so much. For pacients who have a chemical problem in their brains paleative treatment is the only option most of the time.

You do have a point that psychologists tend to make shit up just to get cash. But saying that mental illnesses are all fake is a stretch.

PC gaming is fucking dead. Have you seen Valve's ways to take down Tf2 Vintage?

All none of them? Valve doesn't care as far as I'm aware and the mod is perfectly legal, unless you're thinking of Alphablaster and his TF2C Discord circlejerk trying to do anything they can think of to get rid of it.

capitalism

Fuck man, Valve was pretty cool even if piratefags all hate it and Half Life 2 by proxy because of Steam.
Why couldn't things be different?

No

Why was Valve so praised when they only made one good game, anyway? I like Half-Life but god damn, was it really so good that it gave Valve years and years of free goodwill?

Technically, Steam does not mandate DRM. There is actually a fairly long list of games sold on Steam that have no DRM:
steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Yeah, pretty much. They were known for being bros and hiring modders or fangame developers, Half-Life was pretty revolutionary at the time (the train scene at the beginning of HL1 was a Big Thing) and still holds up as a good game today if dated, and when Source hit the scene it really propelled Valve to new heights. Counter-Strike was as big in its heyday as Doom was in its own, and CS is still played and popular to this day. Valve's the company known for shooters with long-standing appeal and rich communities, the latter of which has been heavily mitigated from TF2's death and Valve attempting to stifle said communities through CS:GO not having simple things like sprays.

But anons, valve are making three vr games. Like, real games, not some experiments like The Lab. There is no big conspiracy. Do you think 360 people at the company just sit around all day doing nothing? Or they all work on Dota 2 and steam? Yeah no.

Reported for avatarfagging.

Actually I use GOG and torrentz2.eu on Pale Moon browser.

I am living in a DRM free world.

Whoopty fucking doo
Cant wait for L4D3-VR hats edition and a Source 2 port of Portal 2 and CSGO with tolken vr mode.

this thing has been the "top seller" since it was "released" and they don't seem to allow people to leave reviews for it either.

So you're saying that everyone who attains power must be systematically killed and replaced with someone who's never experienced power, at least once per year?

Monarchies were the correct way to go about it. Raise them from birth to be respectable and responsible holders of power. It's the only way.

System works fine the way it is. It rewards realistic thinkers than idealistic ones, not to mention that it can endure all types of issues like Civil War and several depressions. I get that it's greedy, but greed will always exist regardless.

what fucking fantasy land do you inhabit?

No. People should be placed in power who are deemed competent to wield it, and who do not want it. They are the people most likely to wield it responsibly.

lol valvedrones

Both games have generic "stop da ayliums" plotlines and the most horrible shooting mechanics to ever grace vidya. The campiness of HL1 is what makes it so popular, nothing more. HL2 is only remembered fondly because when it came out, the Source engine was visually impressive and playing around with the physics mechanics was a novelty.

what's it like? Being a summerfag?

Wanting quality is a summerfag thing, now?
All of the guns in HL1 and HL2 feel like plastic junk with no impact, and are completely unsatisfying. Counter Strike and the new "GO" version has the same problem.
It's not like decent shooting mechanics were unheard of at the time. Operation Flashpoint only came out three years later, and it had pretty good shooting. Ignoring ballistics, Doom and Marathon both had most satisfying-to-use guns than either HL or HL2.

Those games are lazy low-quality trash, and that's the truth, no matter what season it is.

Why don't you tell me?
The only gun that even remotely feels satisfying to use is the magnum.

Nobody and I mean nobody would not do what valve did. I entirely blame the consumers for turning fucking Gamebana tier skins into the most successful buisness model imagineable

That along with HL3 memers

A few anons showed screenshots of their game saying: "Game cannot connect: Not original" or some shit.

Emulator sites are taking down their Nintendo roms, because they're gigantic faggots.

Simple: The Valve experiment fell apart. Turns out you can't run a company like some sort of anarchist pseudo-commune.

Oh, but there are sprays. That you pay for.And have limited uses.

What is it with Nintendo and emulators? You can google for any PSP iso and get a ton of results. Sony doesn't care.