Why is battlegrounds so overhyped by people again? Like it's fun I guess...

Why is battlegrounds so overhyped by people again? Like it's fun I guess, but it's just a generic battle royale EA survival shooter, a buggy unoptomized mess with jokes for bugpatches despite it's massive income, and yet is lapped up by everyone up to and including "fuck what's popular" halfchan and even got top spot on a steam sale without being on sale, something which the average kiddie buying memegames would consider a cardinal sin, not to mention at $30 bucks it's not exactly cheap for a barebones muliplayer only early access game
is it really just the epitome of overhype working? or is there some secret I'm missing (and that's not even going into how much it resembles the culling)

Unturned is better. And free.

It's the next DayZ

but this somehow feels less "organic" if that makes sense, like dayz was kind of the first in this daisy chain of bullshit, and most succeeding attempts to cash in (including it's own standalone) failed, but pubg is just growing out of control for it's 5 months of fame before it burns out, what made it so special among the not-dayzs?

Kids like stupid shit.

It hits a sweet spot between the autism of arma 3 and the arcadeyness of h1z1

This 'player unknown' guy was making a mod for arma 2 (then moved to h1z1 and arma3) before dayz existed

i haven't played it myself but i've watched a couple videos (my normalfag friend tried to get me to buy it). it looks interesting at best since with any of the "survival" games out there people just kill each other anyhow; this looks like it just distills that and forces you closer and closer to the action until combat is completely unavoidable. i like that the arena gets smaller and smaller for that reason

that said i'm not interested in playing shitty streamerbait so i passed, but i think that arena idea at least is genuinely neat and hope that someday it gets put into a good game

that might be so, but it's naive to think his own prior modwork contributed to this, and not the same type of streaming random loot deathmatch that got dayz and it's cousins in the limelight, there's a reason his mods are barely known but battlegrounds is a chart topper

It's the herd sheep mentality. A bunch of youtubers helped promote it, word got around and everyone else I see on my friends list is now playing it. Kind of annoying in steam overlay when in all caps "PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS" is getting spammed every 5 minutes or so.

I would be interest in it if it had more content since I was looking for a Dayz alternative. As for $30 in early access, and the gameplay that I saw, it's not worth it's asking price. It will be here gone tomorrow once the hype dies down like NuDoom's fate.

No faggot I'm not playing minecraft.

I've played it at a video game bar with a friend. It's been better than all the other survival deathmatch type games that have been out on the market. It also brings in a lot of views for the streamer crowd so it gets a lot of publicity. Playing it with a group is the best experience so more people have to buy the game in order to have fun. The game is more polished and more open to the fans of the genre because it's made by a famous modder. Don't buy this game if you play it by yourself, it turns into a walking and waiting in a corner of a house simulator.

by 'a mod' I mean a battleroyale mod that is exactly the same as this full game

and yet that got no attention, but once he caught a spark in a dry season for dayz clones it's suddenly the most popular game ever for a while

It's nothing like Rust and those kinds of survival/crafting games aside from being on an open map. Most of them, like DayZ, are shit because there's no proper goal or game design put into them, whereas PUBG is just a straight up arcadey game with a clear goal.
The only big negatives are the poor performance and 3rd person being always on, which they've been addressing both. And granted, $30 is a bit pricey. But I honestly don't get what's so offensive about it otherwise.

Unturned is garbage.

lol alright

overrating
just adding a "yeah ok kill everyone" prompt doesn't suddenly seperate it from dayz where the prompt was there but unspoken
admittedly separating it into rounds and cutting out memezombies and persistent hoarding is a good move, but to get this kind of attention and vehement defense of criticism (elsewhere, this place and you are reasonable at least)

I think it's that the basic ideas are attractive to people, regardless of popularity. I've talked to coworkers about PUBG and describe it as "100 people parachute onto an island and fight to the last man standing while the border shrinks" and that alone has convinced quite a few people to look into it.

It's not a bad game, but with that said: the netcode and framerate drops are detrimental enough to combat that it's more frustrating than fun. Nothing kills enjoyment faster than not being able to shoot someone because they're hopping around your screen from poor FPS, or actually shooting them but it turns out it didn't do any damage because you didn't shoot them on their side of the connection.

That's not a very good argument. Judge it on it's own terms, not because of how popular is.
Aside from the performance and somewhat hilarious physics the game runs fine for me. I have 40 hours in the game without dying to anything that wasn't a player.
Again, judge it on its own.
Do you mean the wall of death? There's a lot more to PUBG than that to separate it from DayZ.

I don't think any of your points really ring true.

plenty of people bought into the dlc/expansion/mod/thing for h1z1

on its own the game is barebones and doesn't do much interesting besides that shrinking killwall, the netcode is atrocious, the performance is ass, and yet everyone still acts like it's the second coming of christ when games have been crucified for less
it can be ok if you have friends, but overall it's nothing to write home about and early access judaism is always a negative

Mods are always less popular than game releases. The same can be said for DayZ, more people ended up buying the standalone because it didn't require a base game, was less of a hassle to set up and because it got actual marketing due to not being a free mod.

How is it barebones? Why do you keep making half baked arguments you don't follow up on while ignoring others? I feel like arguing with you is a waste of time.

If you made this thread just to complain, just say you don't like it and move on.

Isn't that the Hunger Games?

short of the killwall it's just a sandbox deathmatch that does nothing else, it's incredibly simplistic
it's hardly arguing when all you do is demand I keep clarifying

hunger games is basically a knockoff of battle royale (the jap novel and film), which this whole genre is trying to emulate, but yes

Doesn't exist retard

So what you're saying is that there's no merit to any games that are mostly realistic?

Only if they are mostly autistic.

that's not at all what I said, it doesn't have anything past generic modern guns 1 through 12 in hitscan + crossbow, a few sedans, and one dune buggy
anyone could hack together something like that, and once this game fades they will
if he at least used interesting weapons then there'd be some point of interest, same with any other part of the game
it's just not something interesting enough to warrant the attention it gets despite being an overpriced poorly coded early access game

What did he mean by this?

The guns aren't hitscan.
Alright buckshot, why don't you?

lol

I think there's kinda 2 ways the open world survival/murder game can go, one is the Rust path, complex crafting, building like minecraft, basically a mini-mmo-Ultima/Darkfall but put on a smaller map/limited group so you can have proper depth. Rust is still years from really being where it needs to be.
PUBG is just the other path for the 40-200-player open world map concept. Unturned and DayZ tried to make it a normal action/arcade thing by adding zombies but neither had fun gunplay or vehicles. PUBG just did that version semi-well for the first time. The gunplay is good in a battlefieldy kind of way- at least you can kill people with better gear if you're better than them, and if you're any good you get a 2+ k/d so clearly skill factors in. And the vehicles are jenky/dangerous but fun and give a big strategic advantage.
Basically if you're looking for Unturned/Rust building and depth and stuff you're gonna be disappointed because that's not what the game is. It's not the mini-MMO. It's a big arcade like H1Z1 but H1Z1 isn't fun. PUBG is the first one to do big arcade well at all.

>My says the game is garbage one day, OH BABY I WON SEE HOW GOOD I AM, next game, this game is a joke.
I could go fucking on, but fuck off, the game itself is shi
Your game is shit, now go back to shilling on cuckchan.

because it's a waste of time and energy to gamble on the twitch audience latching on to your game, this game has no "technology" bits in it that any modern engine or game dev can't make
short of the killwall shrinking GTA4 multiplayer already did a lot of this shit like random loot, open world, grouping up, pointing and shooting and driving, just for an extreme example
are you just the type that gets off on arguing? the smug asshat image folder you seem to have gives it away

Don't ever write responses jacked up on coffee, I apologize for the rant and spelling.