Exotic melee weapons

Do you know any decent action games with unusual/exotic melee weapons?
I know that sounds very vague, but you know, you always have sword/whield/axe/hammer/spear/knuckles and such in most games.
Stuff like whips/chains is more rare but a lot of japanese games have them.
But what about something like triple nunchaku, or whatever it is called, or electric guitar turning into scythe from DMC3?
Are there other games with unique weapons like that? I mean one of them is obviously fantastic weapon, but that would do too.

There was this SNES game where you played as a kid with an umbrella

Did he use it in any interesting way or just hit things with it like a stick?

You could use it to grab onto ledges and shit

Kingdoms of Amalur, ignore the edgemaster song.

Akiba's trip?

Bus stop signs/ kebabs/ posters/ spring onions/ gachapon machine/etc

I think I played it years ago? Why did I dropped it? Oh right.
It's a fuckhuge game that bored me to death in the very first area.

Are you just hitting people with it? Or there are interesting mechanics involved?

Different kinds of swings/ range/ aoe and superattacks at most

For sheer variety, I don't think you can go much further than musous. Just off the top of my head some movesets use :
Should you want similar insanity but also tighter gameplay, check out Guilty Gear XX and derivatives.

Musous kinda fail because you just use the same combos with same effects that works identically with all weapons.
But boy do I want Guilty Gear beat em up that is good.

Can I nominate Excalibat just for its sheer goofiness?

Sadly the sillyness of the weapons is largely in appearance. There's not a lot of depth to the combat, and most weapons share movesets outside of the unique character ones. Disappointing, I wanted Dark Souls level of weapon customization.

I wish more games had a cerberus-type weapon, tri-chucks are fun as fuck.

Terraria is full of weird melee weapons.

Probably some musou has them, but as I said it is pretty dull franchise.
I dunno if there are any other games with it in them.

That hasn't been true for a while.

Bayonetta had some great weapons

I remember how I loved using Kusarigama in Ninja Gaiden 2 but it's hardly exotic compared to Nevan.

You mean unconventional weapons, like a chair?

ROCKET LAWN CHAIR

That was the case in DW4 and that is the case in DW8. For every weapon.
Renbu from DW6 was the move in the right direction but rabid fans killed whatever potential there might have been.

The crystal alien stick from SS2 that for some reason you needed an exotic weapons skill and a 4 in research to use.

Sup nerds.

It was supposed to be an MMO, ran out of money, became a very mediocre rpg with decent enough combat.

Any game where the character's wife is his weapon?
Bionic Commando doesn't count because she was his arm, not the weapon.

SS13 is full of them.
breaking the shit out of someone with a toolbox is the best

I know you asked for action games and DR2 is technically a survival horror, but with all the boss and non-zombie enemies you'll have to deal with, it may as well be a slower-paced action-ish game. I also know DR1 is the preferred mention when it comes to DR games but to keep it within the context of your request, it fits the bill much better. They did actually get creative with the weapons Chuck could make. I'll list out a few as reference:

These are the ones that stood out for me the most. There's other combo weapons that involve everything from footballs, computers, leafblowers, gems, plates, toys, dynamite, firearms, axes, hammers, etc. Also as a word of warning, DR3 and DR4 have unique/exotic combo weapons but STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM BOTH OF THOSE GAMES.

Anything is a weapon in Dead Rising 1/2

:^)

in shadow hearts covenant, my favourite character is a luchadore named Joachim. there's a mechanic where every x amount of turns he will don his mask and turn into his wrassler alter ego, Grand Papillon, and throw the fuck down. his weapons range from concrete culvert pipes, post boxes, a totem pole, a huge tuna fish, a desk and some other weird shit. goddamn that game was fun

Worth every point in Exotic weapons.

Phantasy Star is nuts with joke weapons if that's what you're asking for
PSO had a guitar as a sword and a rake as a partisan, the PSP games had pizza hut weapons and flaming marshmallow among other things.
PSO2 went ahead and made a christmas tree sword and a chocolate banana launcher.

PSO also had the frying pan saber.

Bloodborne trick weapons?

That crystal is amazing. Its a shame that the rest of the exotic weapons are trash.

Someone made a flail mod weapon for M&B Warband. You use it by holding down the attack button to spin it, similar to drawing a bow, then release the button to swing it out. It crushes through blocks and does a shit ton of blunt damage.

It's a piece of shit in practice though. The spin takes a variable amount of time, the range is short, and most of the time the enemy will just stagger you before you can "fire" it. It is a major departure from the other traditional melee weapons to be found in both vanilla and mods, however.

Dark Souls 3 has the Farron Greatsword, which is a Guts-size greatsword paired with a dagger in the off-hand. The dagger's only there to be used as an anchor in the ground while the user whirls along by their own momentum.

that weapon is shit. You can parry the shounen WA. doing it causes people to freak the fuck out, and they stop spamming it after they gwt parried a few times

It's cuhrayzee but beyond being fun and confounding 2v1/3v1 fags it's pretty purposeless, yeah. I'm a Black Knight Sword and Shield of Want man myself.

Longsword with light shield or no shield. Blocking is useless, and parries only work in PvP 50% of the time because of the shit compensation for retards ala phantom range.
If you avoid the inane rolls the person just looks retarded.

It maybe shit but goddamn it looks cool

Not really.

rrrrrrrrrEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is it okay?

You're wrong

If you think shonen anime bullshit in DaS is okay than power to you but I do not.

Dark Souls had shonen anime bullshit with literally all humanoid bosses, what are you on about? Ornstein does dragoon jumps and Smough tries to smash you with his giant ass, Gwyn one-hands a log of iron as if it were a feather.

Avoidable, readable. A guy his size could easily pull something like that off, Gwyn was a fucking god dude.
Every enemy, every boss can do shonen shit in DaS3. Nothing readable and most of the time it isn't thinking you just time your rolls. It's a fucking gimmicky piece of shit, it's Gimmick Souls 2.5.

What DS defines as a "god' in general is really weird and seems to relate more to being a child of the Lords (or one of the lords themselves) than it does actually holding any deific status, but nah nigga a man trying to hold a sword of similar scale like that would be possible but require a pretty decent amount of strength and certainly couldn't be wielded like that. The UGS class of weaponry in general is anime bullshit, of a Berserk flair rather than shonen (hell the Greatsword weapon is flat-out Guts' sword).

"It isn't thinking, you just time your rolls" is something I could just as easily say about DS1's bosses in all honesty. I'll concede quite a lot of bosses had shonen going on but there's far more humanoid bosses in DS3 than there are in DS1, so it's more readily noticeable. DS3's humanoids don't seem to pull anything on a regular basis that isn't within the realm of possibility for a player-character, be it through magic (ie Lothric's magic is him being a very very talented sorcerer and as far as I'm aware the only thing you don't have an equivalent for is the teleport) or through mimicry of the shonen in question through moveset/weapon arts.

Really when it comes down to it in DaS3 I figure it was rushed, not just that they developers had no idea what the fuck they were doing. I'd take Berserk as my UGS because the guy is immensely strong, not else not special snowflake shit, no power of my friends, nothing. The player character is just some guy, who becomes so strong he's unstoppable, not just that he's more an antagonist, he kills everyone without realizing it might be a mistake.
DaS3 it's all retarded, a mixture of some JP stuff with Western stuff and it made a bland mixture of manure.
Overall the mechanics are a mess, the boss fights are tripe, uninteresting bland and no thought went into them whatsoever even the themes are bland as shit.
It's Gimmick Souls 2.5. More of what you didn't want, did we mention DAS1!?

Eh it doesn't seem that shoneny to me besides dark souls isn't really a… You know realism game anyhow

Yes.
No. There are different combo string types since SW2, as well as different special abilities which can completely change an officer's playstyle, DW8 introduced combos specific to characters due to weapons being available to everyone. And that's just input. Speed, range, pattern, timing and effect vary wildly from weapon to weapon. Even suggesting that, say, Xiao Qiao and Tadakatsu play the same is pure delusion.
You are describing how musous were at the beginning. I was there for DW2 and that held very true then. But now you are simply full of shit.

You are objectively wrong.
What DW8 has is indeed character-specific special attacks that are executed and specific points of generic combos.
Attack speed, range etc etc are all weapon-based.

Bloodrayne might count. She uses arm blades that are also on some kind of hinges so she can spin them around for certain attacks. Haven't played the Bloodrayne 2 yet, so I don't know if she keeps the blades in that game.

Eve of Extinction. The main character uses a weapon with his girlfriend's soul fused to it.

As for myself, I'd like to find some games like Shadowgrounds. I got them in the recent GOG sale because they looked fun and were $0.59 each, and they did turn out to be quite fun. They also had modding tools, but I don't know if anyone ever made much with them. If there are good mods for them out there, I'd appreciate some recommendations for those as well.