Doom 3 didn't look that good

I think greatness has a really short timespan. For his time he was good but I bet Carmack couldn't make a good engine now.

Other urls found in this thread:

doom.wikia.com/wiki/Delta_Labs_-_Unknown:_Union_Aerospace_Research_Division
doomwiki.org/wiki/Delta_Labs_-_Unknown:_Union_Aerospace_Research_Division
doom.wikia.com/wiki/Erebus_-_Level_5:_Erebus_Research
doomwiki.org/wiki/Erebus_-_Level_5:_Erebus_Research
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Carmack was a great programmer for his time, the Doom renderer is a complete technical marvel, but it's not the fucking 90's anymore.
He hasn't mentally progressed beyond how shit used to work back then.

I know he worked on muh doom and shit, but this is e-celeb (or I guess just regular celeb) tier bullshit. Stop praising or shitting on the guy and thinking he is the singular engine programmer at Id.

Nobody who was a legend in the 90s could make a great game now. If anyone knows some exceptions please name them.

He was the only engine programmer aside from Michael Abrash who did some optimization. Michael Abrash is also an e-celeb but not as known as Carmack.

See but you said was. He was for when Id small, but I highly fucking doubt he made rage's engine singlehandedly.

RIP in VR, sweet prince

One day I swear we will have VR.

Doom 3 looked extremely good back when it came out. It just aged like milk.

This is a lie. It was the second best looking game of 2004 right next to Half Life 2.

Do we really need to progress any further ?
Just do what you wanted to do in the 90s but couldn't due to technical limitations.

Whoops didn't mean to quote

You must be 18 and over to post here.

reported for bait

Yeah all that darkness looked so good. I loved how well rendered all of the different shades of black were.

Literally underage, I don't even like Doom 3.

Doom 3 looked like dogshit and you know it.

Go ahead and pick at least two games with more advanced graphics than Doom 3 released in 2004.

Go ahead and tell me why they had to hide 90% of the game in darkness if it looks so good.

Am I being baited?

Visuals != graphics
You not liking the visuals doesn't make the graphics bad. The lighting effects for Doom 3 were really exceptional for the time, which is part of why it was so dark, to show off the fancy lighting.
You might not have liked what it looked like, which is fine, but "I don't like it" isn't the same as "The graphics aren't technically advanced".

That's the point. Carmack is a programming wizard who is really good with graphics. He is not a visual designer or an artist of any kind, and his work with visuals is much weaker.

Of course you are being baited you immense retard. I'm shocked anyone is giving this bored shitposter the time of day.

If your graphics are so good why would you cover them in darkness. That goes beyond shit art direction that is just complete retardation if you aren't trying to hide shit graphics.

Yeah really great you know what would have shown off their lighting system better? Some fucking lighting.

How dare you insult one of the three Amigos.

That's the point. If the entire game was fully lit, you wouldn't be able to tell how the flashlights work. Do your flashlights have more effect in broad daylight or in the middle of the night?

Yep, definitely bait

Except you forgot the part that made doom 3 insufferable to play which was you had a choice of either being able to shoot or see because doom guy apparently only has one hand and can't hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time. When your lighting presentation gets in the way of the gameplay your lighting is shit.

Yeah ok faggot what a great game that you have to buy it twice just to be able to enjoy it.

It worked for nintendo. :^)

Just because nintendo does it doesn't make it a good idea.

You are a true aspie my friend.

This is either bait or you have your own dick in your mouth with how dishonest you are being, i honestly cant tell. Its not like you cant fuck with the settings and make it so you dont need the damn thing in the first place.

Like the other user said, find a better looking game from the time and research how hyped everyone was because of the visuals. For now, take your faggotry back to >>>/cuckchan/

I thought it was bait but we might have a legit sperg on our hands here

reminder than id software got ppl like Tiego Sousa (ex-Crytek) and many others to work on it
thats why its so good
Carmack is capable of better engines, what he accomplished with Doom 3 and id tech 5 at the time, mostly on his own from scratch is amazing

Tiago Sousa*
my mistake

Why don't you research how when the game released everyone hated it because you could either try to enjoy the visuals through 30% of the screen because you can't see anything without a flashlight or you could play the game without being able to see anything at all because the retards at ID thought it would be a good idea to have an FPS where you have the choice between seeing or shooting.

You don't understand, if someone drags the golden cow out then they are not allowed be sarcastic at it!

None of that matters, that has nothing to do with the technology behind the graphics engine of Doom 3.

It doesn't matter to the argument of the objective quality of the graphics of Doom 3. Keep it up champ, do you want a "I have autism" cap?

I thought you were saying the game had poor graphics, now you're saying it's unplayable?

Didn't you hear? Games with bad graphics are unplayable now! Welcome to the hobby you have passed on to the new generation!

The graphics are poor because they interfere with the gameplay. It doesn't matter how good your graphics look if I can't play the game because of them they are shit.

Just stop responding to the autist.

Yeah no, Doom 3 wasn't great, but its visuals were unanimously praised. >>>/cuckchan/ is where you go.

Graphics are not art direction. Jet set radio has great art direction, but atrocious graphics.

But it's fun.

>Doom 3

I found the consolefag who can't aim for shit.

Aiming isn't the problem seeing is the problem.

50 shekels says that he considers Goldeneye a good fps.

Christ you are all retarded.

Now call us another generic insult while we continue to laugh at you and your autism.

Oh no!
People don't share the same opinion as you!

Strategies like that are only needed in shit games that are hard to see what you are doing!
t. blind retarded aspie

user that would require playing the game. He wouldnt know these things like the hidden bonus stage on level 5 with the glow in the dark sneakers.

I think I missed those when I was playing through game. After get used to everything in the first three levels, the game is a fucking breeze (And, I played Hard on my first playthrough, mind you).

waterboard the autists in this thread

I'm of the opinion that human greatness is always an accident. If it weren't, then we'd be able to replicate it endlessly.

wut
Doom 3 looked amazing for its time.
Compare that to nuDoom which looks like shit for 2016 but plays better which is the only thing that matters.

Isn't it badly optimized?

If i wanted to hit down through all those quick time events i'd have plated life is strange

I´m pretty sure that this has to be bait, but i´m bitting anyway. Or you´re just simply a retard who never even played the game. Which is probably true

Doom3 wasn´t even that dark. Look at this pic. That´s how bright it was most of the time. There were maybe 2 or 3 places where it actually went pitch black, but those were just short sequences. And now take your autism back to cuckchan. Say what you want about the gameplay of Doom3, but no one can deny that it had stunningly good graphics back in the day.

This shit uses tech that most modern games can't even replicate! That is both hilarious and depressing.

Consider the following: What we have now is not what id Software was in any era; it is Zenimax Media Inc. wearing the flayed skin of one of their victims.

I would like to point out that Doom 64 is the real third game of the franchise, and beautifully prepares the step up in themes to Quake.

Doom 3 isn't simply dark, it's just uses a high contrast style of lighting, to show off the lighting more blatantly. Look at that screenshot, the shadow in the background is pitch black, when realistically it wouldn't be.

Indeed, we should call Doom 3 the nigger of the saga.

Also worth mentioning is that Brutal Doom 64 is surprisingly capable. It's not just Doom 64 + Brutal Doom, but it actually does its own thing (with BD64 Traditional being the best close-to-vanilla mod I've ever played).

I've seen something like that before.
No wonder GGG placed him at localization job really.

(222b36) should kill himself.

Damn, Sgt Mark has made some serious improvements since the last time I checked what he was doing.

you need to go and stay go.

I remember.

WTF was iD thinking?

Doom 3, Far Cry and F.E.A.R on PC were already "next gen" games before console faggots even came up with that name for the huge jump that was from the crapsation 2 to that new gen of consoles.

The nigger always made clear his objective was making something that looked decent and that crapsatations could run locked at 60 frames. Thats why the fucking engine is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

5 years just to put better textures. Carmack would make a new engine in that time.

Carmack is pretty based, his mistake was trying to pander to console scrubs.

This is straight from my puckered anus, so suck on some salt grains.

I bet Carmack just creates engines from his own genius. I think most other programmers probably read papers on the subject and implement the ideas found therein.

Far Cry didn't look that good tbh, it was just impressive to have so much detailed shit on the screen. HL2 truly looked the best out of all of them, and still holds up decently to this day with a modern resolution + the moderate graphical enhancements Valve has added to the Source engine over time. Even with minor filters added, it can look great.

You only needed the flashlight in the very beggining of the game

These new babies flooding in this place are braindead retarded

I always thought it looked better than HL2. Everyhting in HL2 is sterile and the textures look like complete shit when you get close.
The models and facial animation is where Source was really good.

It's true that a lot of textures weren't high res, especially for small shit like garbage, but it still blows anything else from 2004 out of the water in my opinion desu

I recall at release HL2 being technically inferior to the other games, but perhaps better in terms of art direction and certainly facial animations.

Considering the source engine has continually been updated does it even count? Doom 3 and FC haven't been updated at all. I played them all at release and I do remember Doom 3 looking amazing at the time (it also ran really well). FC also looked amazing for its time considering the scale of the levels.

I'm talking about even before the graphical updates, I'm just saying with them it still holds up acceptably today. If you play the HL2 on the original version of the Source engine, it still looks pretty good.

It may simply be that we have progressed beyond the ability for a single person to be a major influence in the creation of an engine. Good, modern engines may simply require a much bigger group effort now, which would mean that 1 genius would be evened out by other, less competent programmers.

And genius really does not have a long lifespan when technology around you progresses very quickly. It might mean that at some point, you are the best at the technology that is used in that time and age, but as soon as that technology is passed, you better be a very quick learner because everything you used to know can now be forgotten.

While developers certainly underoptimize nowadays, you really don't need to do much optimization in your game code other than not making it stupid. Libraries and compilers will optimize most for you. It is amazing that some very simple games these days can be made badly enough that they require good machines to work. It is telling how easy it is to have some kind of performance in modern engines that even those games can still run on a somewhat good pc.

I imagine it's just much harder to make significant strides now, back then the problems were relatively more simple, the catch was that the hardware was shit (which is why Carmack is considered a wizard for pulling off smooth scrolling and pseudo 3D). Now we have good hardware and even good engines, but it's hard to take the next big step, so instead things improve at a slower pace with incremental small steps.

It wasn't a straight FPS but a horror game. People who complain about the flashlight are fucking plebeians.

You mean stencil shadow ? Older games does stencil shadow with no global illumination blend. Another game does alot better than doom 3 was escape from butcher bay. It easily tops the shit out of doom. Heck even farcry 1 with the cryengine easily tops idTech4 indoor and even outdoor with it's bump mapping, parallax mapping and specular lightmaps.

What carmack did right was wrecking the nvidia FX series and making the engine open source. Source engine was known as forgiving because it's able to run on a pentium 3 800mhz system as opposed to doom 3 which runs minimum burning pentium 4 HT and athlon64. But this doesn't make source any better as it boils down to whether you're the end user or the developer.

Sorry, not all of us here are weak boipuccis like you.

the game was an abortion
lol

You should've been aborted tbh fam

He is right though, doom 3 is a shit FPS and an even worse doom game. I know it actively tried to do something else but the narrow hallways where some demon will pop up behind you get really fucking tiring.

lol

autists need to SHUT THE FUCK UP

I never understood this complaint. Yes, it's dumb and breaks up the gameplay in a way not fitting a Doom title, but your flashlight is massive and you get attacked in darkness literally once in the entire game.

LMAO what a retard.

Fuckin' aye.
People like to spout memes and be contrarian on this board, but Doom 3 was & is great fun.

The Source engine is constantly being updated and tweaked, what Half-Life 2 looked like when it was released vs now is very different.

Doom 3 was graphically revolutionary and anons saying otherwise are too young to remember. But it was slow and boring, pathetically aping the design of a bunch of games that were anything but Doom, and it was stupidly dark and awkward with the flashlight prior to the BFG edition. We called it a tech demo.

The BFG edition was pure garbage. It fucked up the horror atmosphere, gave you tons of extra ammo and gave you watered down version of the game.

It never had a horror atmosphere. It was almost all predictable monster closets which elicited groans rather than shrieks. It wanted to have a horror atmosphere but they just didn't have the game design to go along with the tech.

Yes it fucking had you cumgurgling philistine. Doom 3 had fantastic graphics, immersive and excellent sound design & horror atmosphere.
The BFG edition ruined that by letting the player have a flashlight and a weapon at the same time. The extra ammo, worse lighting effects sure as hell didn't help.

They also removed some content - some of the most memorable scenes in fact.

Maybe everything was scary as you were underage. I mainly remember being disappointed and disgusted by it, and it feeling like a slog.

From the get-go you had a feeling of isolation and hopelessness as you hear other Marines get killed in the immediate aftermath of the daemon invasion, it is then replaced with an incredible eerie ambience – the sound of machinery, TV-screens, flickering lights, &c., and the sound of enemies coming at you in the dark keeps you on edge throughout the game.

Adding more music would disturb the atmosphere of horror and break immersion. The deliberate slow pace works great till you return from Hell. For me the game begins to drag shortly before you reach the caverns. The Xbox version was better at the pacing in these levels, they were shorter & more compact, where the PC version started to drag and feel repetitive.

It is OK to admit you were spooked, user

It was a groanfest. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

Yeah Doom 3 still manages to give me a little adrenaline rush from the darkness.

Plenty of horror games aren't scary. It's what makes them bad horror games.

Doom 3 is underrated

I was wondering if someone would point out how shit the BFG edition was. It literally rips out everything that made Doom 3 unique. There are pretty much no other shooters and very few games at all that even attempt to do real darkness in a way that actually inconveniences the player.

First PC game to use Phong shading.

Isn't the BFG version of Doom 3 also censored in all versions of it's release?

Didn't Quake 4 use the same engine as Doom 3? That game looked nice, especially the strogg facilities. Doom 3 was just very dark and bad (or not especially good) for other reasons.

pic remotely related. It's just the character voied by Peter Stormare

i wanna fuck that first thing

No you don't

you don't control me

Yeah. The Dark Mod does as well, and it's a match made in heaven. Wondering now if that Hexen fanmod ever made progress too.

Edge of chaos? That brings back memories.
It seems to have gotten nowhere, though.

You’re a brave guy

Resurrection of Evil was pretty much castrated in the BFG edition, with two of the most memorable & unique levels were completely ruined:
* The return to Delta Labs, where you revisit the areas from the core game, and Hell is breaking down reality, teleporting you around with audiovisual distortions and effects – these effects were completely removed in the BFG edition, making it just another bland corridor shooting level. This was my favourite RoE level by far. - doom.wikia.com/wiki/Delta_Labs_-_Unknown:_Union_Aerospace_Research_Division & doomwiki.org/wiki/Delta_Labs_-_Unknown:_Union_Aerospace_Research_Division
* The toxic waste sewer in Erebus – Level 5, the environmental suit is removed! - doom.wikia.com/wiki/Erebus_-_Level_5:_Erebus_Research & doomwiki.org/wiki/Erebus_-_Level_5:_Erebus_Research

The BFG edition was made for the console market, & is a massive downgrade from the vanilla game.
Hopefully GOG will make the vanilla game available again with proper widescreen support, so new gamers won’t be introduced to Doom 3 & Resurrection of Evil thru the BFG edition.

The only good thing I will ever give the new doom credit for was the music they added to the game.

Carmack is a genius who sat down with other people and practically wrote their shit out on napkins and transferred it to code every god damn day for years, making one of the most solid fps games ever to come out. But that was when the basics were the best. Now that technology has progressed to such a degree, he would of had to have thought about different aspects that now make the modern shooter better. I honestly think Serious Sam is the better, modern game that acts like a more up to date doom. Doom now focuses on not core gameplay but modernized gameplay. The whole killing enemies with QTEs is probably one of the single worst things they could have done to kill off the franchise. That point alone shows off how much they dont know about doom. To put it bluntly, You are to weave through hordes of enemies killing everything trying to survive and find god damn keys to doors in puzzle like enviroments. Yet somehow….SOMEHOW they manage to fuck this up.